PDA

View Full Version : bounce box

corialice81
03-11-2008, 22:20
I'm thinking about using a bounce box to mail my chargers (phone, camera, ipod) and extra "stuff" along the way. Is it financially worth it? I mean, generally speaking, how much money would one spend having a bounce box on a complete thru hike? If it was a lot of money, I was thinking about just carrying these items in my pack.

Blissful
03-11-2008, 22:23
My camera and Mp3 took batteries. Chargers nowdays seem fairly light and easy to carry (the one to my razor right now is!). I would try to go without it if possible and see if your electronics can run by batteries.

corialice81
03-11-2008, 22:24
You mean go without a bounce box right. Just checking...

Blissful
03-11-2008, 22:25
You mean go without a bounce box right. Just checking...

Right! :)

Appalachian Tater
03-11-2008, 22:28
I think she meant go without chargers and use disposable batteries instead. Using a bounce box is a pain. A lot of people stop using them pretty quickly.

corialice81
03-11-2008, 22:34
Oh. All of my devices take chargers only :( How sad.

Blissful
03-11-2008, 22:44
Oh. All of my devices take chargers only :( How sad.

Then you'll need to bounce. You won't want to carry all the extra weight of multiple chargers, believe me. By Neels Gap you'll be wanting very much to lose weight out of your pack.

corialice81
03-11-2008, 22:54
So how much is that? I'm thinking I'd need it ever 7 to ten days. Is it normal postage or is it different?

Appalachian Tater
03-11-2008, 22:58
It depends on the weight. Postage rates will be going up in May, I think it is.

http://postcalc.usps.gov/

If you send your package First Class or Priority Mail, to a Post Office, and you don't open it, you can usually forward it from there to the next P.O.

Be aware the more times you mail a package, the more chances it has to get lost.

highway
03-16-2008, 10:13

If you send your package First Class or Priority Mail, to a Post Office, and you don't open it, you can usually forward it from there to the next P.O.

Be aware the more times you mail a package, the more chances it has to get lost.

Free Forwarding of UNCLAIMED bounce box through USPS?

Are you sure that is correct? If it is, then it would be an attractive method of having relatively easy access to items such as a spare pare of hiking footwear. When it was determined to be needed just call back to the PO where it sat languishing (less than 30 days) and have the post office forward it ahead to met you. That would be slightly easier than having it mailed from home, assuming a hiker had someone at home willing to mail such parcels.:-?

HHmmmm.....