PDA

View Full Version : digital camera for thru hiking

Dirtygaiters
03-11-2008, 22:27
I'm wondering what's the best digital camera for thru hiking using the criteria that it's light, small, can use standard AA or AAA batteries, takes good pictures, and uses a standard memory card?

I realize this has been discussed many times before, but since manufacturers introduce new models of cameras every year, I think the topic could be revived and still be relevant.

Blissful
03-11-2008, 22:31
I carried a cheaper Samsung S630 (probably diffferent model out this year - I didn't happen to look). When it broke in the Whites (fell on a rock), it wasn't too awful expensive to replace, thank goodness (under $100). Takes batteries. 6.0 megapixel. 3x zoom. You can see the pictures I took along the hike in my gallery.

rafe
03-11-2008, 22:45
Unfortunately (AFAIK) the very lightest cameras all take proprietary rechargeable batteries. If I'm wrong about that -- I'd like to know.

Bob S
03-11-2008, 22:50
My last digital was a Sony that cost $700.00 The one I have now is a Fuji that cost under $100.00 and it takes great pictures, they look as good as the Sony. The Fuji is a lot smaller and easier to carry and runs on normal AA batteries, not a $70.00 battery like the Sony.

The one thing I would look for is an optical zoom, not a digital zoom. My Fuji has both.

I don’t think you need to buy an expensive camera to get good pictures.

Critterman
03-12-2008, 08:22
Try looking at a Nikon L11. Fits all the criteria you mentioned and is relatively cheap. Weighs 5.6 oz with 2 lithium AA.

Kerosene
03-12-2008, 10:30
I agree with terrapin, the lightest cameras (sub 5 ounce) rely on proprietary extended life batteries which last for 100-200 pictures depending on how much you zoom and review on the LCD screen. If I was thru-hiking I would bring two batteries (each less than 1 ounce) and put the charger in a bounce box. I'd carry a lot less weight than carrying replacement batteries.

If that seems like a viable option for you then consider the Pentax Optio waterproof digicam (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0501/05010501pentax_optiowp.asp).

Pony
03-12-2008, 18:43
I bought a Sanyo for $89. Probably not the best camera, but so far I like it, and if I break it so what. Also you can zoom in on pictures after you have taken them, which will be really cool for wildlife pictures. I went to Yellowstone about ten years ago and saw 5 or 6 bears. When I developed the film they just looked like dark spots in the woods.

German Tourist
03-16-2008, 12:24
I would consider a much broader approach and look for a multi-function gadget.
On my CDT thruhike I was carrying a camera, an ipod and a GPS. This year on the AT I wanted to reduce weight and came up with a surprising solution: a cell phone.
Actually, I don't need a cell phone at all, but it is it's other functions that made me buy it.
I now have a Nokia N95 that has the following features:

- 5 Mega pixel camera with flash
- uses micro SD card meaning unlimited memory
- includes MP3 player
- includes radio
- includes GPS (I haven't tried that feature yet)
- you can surf the internet with WLAN
- and finally: you can use it as a cell phone if you want to.

Think about it.... for me this was the ultimate weight saving with maximum luxury...

Christine

Dirtygaiters
03-16-2008, 16:48
what about the battery life of that futureal gadget?

German Tourist
03-16-2008, 17:20
Sorry, I have just received it two days ago and can't say much about battery life yet.

Pokey2006
03-18-2008, 03:37
This is what I used. Mixed reviews, but take a peek at my gallery and you'll see it does a decent job. Small, light, cheap (got a floor model for around $80 at Wal-Mart), and takes AA batteries. If you take a lot of pics, get a 1GB memory card, rechargeable batteries and a GOOD recharger, and you're good to go.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Digimax-Digital-Camera-Black/dp/B0007ZGXQI

clured
03-20-2008, 21:59
Ok, here's a stupid question: If you carry a camera on the trail, do you just use one big memory card the whole time? How many photos does a standard issue 6-7 mpxl camera fit into a gig of card space? If you fill it up, do you burn the pictures, send them home, and clear the card?

I do dslr photography for college stuff, but we shoot with 12 mpxl cameras in RAW format (huge files, about 100 pictures per gig of card space), but I know nothing about little point and shooters.

Hooch
03-20-2008, 22:06
Ok, here's a stupid question: If you carry a camera on the trail, do you just use one big memory card the whole time? How many photos does a standard issue 6-7 mpxl camera fit into a gig of card space? If you fill it up, do you burn the pictures, send them home, and clear the card?

I do dslr photography for college stuff, but we shoot with 12 mpxl cameras in RAW format (huge files, about 100 pictures per gig of card space), but I know nothing about little point and shooters.What I've read in a couple TJ's that people do is take 2 cards, use one, mail it home to get downloaded and mailed back, while they use the second one in its place. I think that's how Certain and Persistent did it last year if I'm not mistaken. If nothing else, it seems like a practical idea. :D

hammock engineer
03-21-2008, 00:38
I did the mail game with 2 memory cards. It worked out pretty good for me. With as cheap as they are now, you can get a large size one really cheap. I think I took 4k pics on my hike. It went in spurts, but was fun.

clured
03-21-2008, 02:43
What capacity were the cards? How many pictures did each hold? How often did you swap out? Thanks for the help...

DuctTape
03-21-2008, 02:57
The Nikon L11 is a good choice as mentioned, or anything in similar in the Coolpix series. AA lithium batteries last quite some time. Here's a brief article I wrote on the subject:

http://www.jamiecompos.com/cameras

frisbeefreek
03-23-2008, 09:20
I'm also looking for a camera. Just a request that if you have an accurate weight, please post! I have a digital camera I love, but it takes 4AA's, and is too heavy. I'm looking for something that I won't cry over when it gets crushed.

--ff

Rocketman
03-27-2008, 09:37
I used a Panasonic DMC-LZ5 with 6 Megapix, nice 6X Zoom, image stabilized, and takes AA batteries and SD cards up to 2 GB.

Weight 220 grams or 7 3/4 Oz.

I just saw a later model with more pixels and same zoom at Big Lots for just about $100.

Gray Blazer
03-27-2008, 09:47
This is what I used. Mixed reviews, but take a peek at my gallery and you'll see it does a decent job. Small, light, cheap (got a floor model for around $80 at Wal-Mart), and takes AA batteries. If you take a lot of pics, get a 1GB memory card, rechargeable batteries and a GOOD recharger, and you're good to go.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Digimax-Digital-Camera-Black/dp/B0007ZGXQI

I peeked at your gallery. Your camera does take good pics. You are photogenic which helps, also.

HYOH
03-27-2008, 12:06
I bought the Nikon S600 and have enjoyed it. I keep it in a 1010 Pelican case attached to my shoulder strap so it's always readily accessible. The camera's start up time is less than half a second so I get allot of photos that I would have missed with my old Canon. It has a 28mm wide angle lens which is great for landscapes and group shots and has a 4x optical zoom which is comparable to 112mm (a guess) on a 35 mm camera. The only bitch is the proprietory batteries but they're dirt cheap on ebay and very light. I'll bounce the charger and keep enough batteries on hand for 500 shots= 2 batts. It doesn't do mp3s, make phone calls, or surf the web but it takes great 10 megapixel photos and the shutter is extremely quick.