PDA

View Full Version : Wool Hiking Pants - I be stylin' !

JAK
03-11-2008, 22:39
I've been looking for wool hiking pants for awhile.
Didn't like the price or weight/style of wool hiking pants at outfitters.
I've been searching thrift stores and department stores to no avail.
I finally came across a nice looking pair at Marden's in Bangor for $2.50
They look particularly fine with my extrafine merino wool sweater for $15.

Nautica - made in India
The are a nice worsted tweed, 90% Wool, 10% Cashmere. 16oz total.
44" waist 32" leg. I am a 42" waist at most so I will taylor them down.

I've washed them once and hung them dry by the cuffs and they came out real nice. I think they would hold up really well on the trail. I've been wearing them back and forth on the walk to work, with a belt of course. Waist still needs to come in some.

Looking to do some modifications:
1. Take in the waist at the back of the seat.
2. Remove the inside lining that goes down to the knee.
3. Perhaps remove most of the lining and waist band.
4. Possibly change pockets from cotton to polyester mesh.
5. Perhaps add zippers or velcro to hip and back pockets.
6. Love the cuffs but I think I will narrow them in and add zips.
7. Perhaps shorten the legs a bit or add a snap for fold them up option.

They are very comfortable to hike in cool weather as they are. I would only need to pack 4oz skin layer and 4oz wind pants for extreme cold. I think they would hold up well to rain also, though perhaps a longer poncho might help. For latespring/summer/earlyfall I would like to find a similar pair and convert them into shorts, though I think brushed nylon hiking shorts are perhaps better then. I'm really liking wool for latefall/winter/earlyspring though. I think it would be especially nice to cruise into town on a thru-hike or section-hike looking rather dapper, having already shaved, showered, and laundered in the field.

JAK
03-11-2008, 22:40
Maybe add some leather here and there ?

quasarr
03-12-2008, 13:50
I've been won over to wool but it is expensive :( I only buy it on sale, I'm not spending $75 on a shirt! :eek:

This website has a bunch of wool stuff on sale! I/O is a new brand and I ordered a shirt and tights that I was very happy with. The fabric was actually softer than my Icebreakers shirt (also purchased on clearance)

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/skiuniverse/Store/Search.aspx?key=i/o

I wore the pink tights last week, I was STYLIN :sun

http://photos-k.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v195/34/123/11802569/n11802569_35712042_9192.jpg

margo
03-12-2008, 15:17
I would think twice about removing that liner. Those are some nice wool pants no doubt but probably not merino wool, they might itch.

I like wool garments. I'm going to break down and get me some icebreakers someday.

JAK
03-12-2008, 15:28
Wool doesn't make me itch. Though these are actually quite soft. I would prefer them to be a bit coarser and tighter weave for durability. They are a farily heavy worsted weave, like a tweed, but not as coarse or tight as I have seen before in hiking pants or breeks. As for linings, I like them on some wool dress pants but after a day or two the synthetic lining actually does make me itch, particularly on the inside of my legs. It has more to do with sweat and hairs I think. It's worse with synthetic tights than with merino tights. Anyhow I will see how these hold up. I am going to treat them with some lanolin when I wash them again. I am anxious to try them with a skin layer if it gets cold enough, and I get out. I will be sure and give them a good cold wet weather test also, but it is only when you get out for 5 days or so that you really know and I am not sure when I will get the chance.

taildragger
03-12-2008, 15:34
I think it would be especially nice to cruise into town on a thru-hike or section-hike looking rather dapper, having already shaved, showered, and laundered in the field.

Sir, are you saying that my old basketball shorts, teal nylon fishing shirt, old cowboy hat with turkey feather (guess I'm not a gram weeny:D) complete with wool socks that come up to my knees, is in fact, not a stylish giddup?

I'm hurt, I always had hoped Dolce Cobanna would be interested in my hiker-style, or at least my cologne "Hiker de' funk" (makes even the sissiest of nerds smell like a real man, or a skunk...). But now that I know that I'm truly not stylish, I just don't know what to do.

hobojoe
03-12-2008, 15:36
Great find. You never need to pay big $ to hike. Thrift shop outfitting is the way to go.

JAK
03-12-2008, 16:01
Sir, are you saying that my old basketball shorts, teal nylon fishing shirt, old cowboy hat with turkey feather (guess I'm not a gram weeny:D) complete with wool socks that come up to my knees, is in fact, not a stylish giddup?

I'm hurt, I always had hoped Dolce Cobanna would be interested in my hiker-style, or at least my cologne "Hiker de' funk" (makes even the sissiest of nerds smell like a real man, or a skunk...). But now that I know that I'm truly not stylish, I just don't know what to do.You had me at old basketball shorts. :sun

JAK
03-12-2008, 16:05
I don't lean that way, not that there's anything wrong with that, but I can't help but admire a fine figure of a fellow middle aged man that knows how to hike in such style. :cool: