PDA

View Full Version : Gear list of what I usually run for a 5 day

UL minimalist
03-11-2008, 22:42
First I'd like to say that my methods are tried and true for my standards and experience. I do not advocate hiking this bare and I know it can be dangerous. Also state that I was a scout and I have hiked the whites for a lot of my life. With that said here is a 5 day gear list.(no food.)

Base-
Pack: Golite Jam2 with a few mods 18oz.+ 2oz pack cover
Bag: Golite Ultra 20* Bag : 19oz. + 1oz stuff
Pad:Therm-a-rest "z" Lite short/moded 9oz 1oz stuff
Shelter:Grace Solo Spectralite .60 4.40z + 2oz of custom cut guy lines sticks for stakes. 1 oz stuff

Sub Total: 50.4oz

Kitchen-
SnowPeak Titanium cup/stove: 4oz
self-made stove: 1oz
5oz fuel.
Kat hiker pro. 11oz
CamelBak 3 liter Unbottle 13oz
Subtotal: 33oz

Bathroom-
5oz tooth powder
2oz hand sanitizer
6oz TP
2oz Home Made soap.
2oz custom toothbrush
subtotal: 17oz

Emergency/firstaid

4oz backpacker duct tape.
5 Vitamin I
6oz 99% Deet
2oz Anti ****s medicine
Poncho 3oz

Subtotal 15oz

Gear Total: 7lb 3.4oz
Then factor in all pre-made meals gorp and powerbars for 5 days at 8lbs

so a hike weight of 15lb 3.4oz + water.

What I carry on me depends what time of year predicted weather yadda yadda. Im not 100% sure what my pack will look like for the AT since ive never done a hike longer than 6 days. but this is what I carry on a typical fair weather day.

Synthetic boxers
Synthetic tank
Hiking socks
Zipoff hiking shorts/pants
trailrunners
short sleeve top long sleeve over and maybe a sweater for early spring/ fall
2 Leki hiking poles
Bandana
Harmonica and a lighter in my pocket.

Like I said this weight always changes and I hike like this usually with multi people which cuts weight on community things. Solo I hike around 20lb no water just to be safe.:banana

JAK
03-11-2008, 23:16
Way cool.

What were your modifications to the JAM2 ? I have one.
I thought it was 20 oz did you change back pocket to mesh?

Love the homemade soap thing. Recipe?
Have you tried making your own soap while out in the field?

Is toothpaste baking soda? Good for underarms etc. also I think?
Have you tried making your own baking soda while out in the field?
Have you tried brushing your teeth with a yellow birch twig? Also good tea.

Sounds really cool. I would only suggest integrating more with nature, but I'm guessing you are ahead of the game also, though I think there is always more. It's a continuous lifelong process of course, and ultimately a complete one for everyone. ;)

burger
03-12-2008, 11:33
Looks like a great list. I'm curious--what do you think about the Spectralite tarp? I'm thinking of getting one for the PCT. The weight is unbelievable, but I wonder if it will hold up.

Programbo
03-13-2008, 23:12
My only question is...Why?...If you are 22 and have hiked the Whites for most of your life you should be a very fit young man..Why live like some sort of hobo just to save a few pounds?..Carrying that amount of stuff for 5 months would make for a very miserable trip IMO

rafe
03-13-2008, 23:23
My only question is...Why?...If you are 22 and have hiked the Whites for most of your life you should be a very fit young man..Why live like some sort of hobo just to save a few pounds?..Carrying that amount of stuff for 5 months would make for a very miserable trip IMO

Yes, definitely. ULM should definitely bring along a few small convenience items, preferably made of lead, pig iron, or depleted uranium.

fiddlehead
03-13-2008, 23:41
I think i would want more than a 3oz. poncho out there. especially in the whites.
you seem to carry a lot of TP, Duct tape, deet. also, heavy on the filter, and camelbak thing. wine box bags are lighter (so are gatorade or pepsi bottles)

Also, that doesn't seem like enough clothes for the whites to me. I would want at least a down vest added, maybe even fleece pants (or substitute rain pants)

As you must know, it can get real winterlike up there in any month.

JAK
03-14-2008, 00:04
I'm thinking he puts the emphasis on the last part of his name rather than the former.

http://outside.away.com/outside/culture/200701/new-years-resolutions-9.html

JAK
03-14-2008, 00:10
Perhaps I should have said that he night do well to consider placing
more emphaisis on the minimalism, and less emphasis on the ultralight.

Dirtygaiters
03-14-2008, 02:22
UL minimalist,
Don't take this as insulting, but I've organized 7 pound base weights that were better thought out than that. Since this is posted in the "thru hiker Q & A" forum, I had some questions.

Firstly, no extra clothes or extra socks? What do you wear around camp on a 20 degree night or when you get wet? I'm assuming that this is a gear list good to 20 degrees otherwise you wouldn't have included the 20 degree quilt. What is your poncho made of and how small is it that it only weighs 3 ounces? Does 6 ounces of TP take up a lot of bulk? Seems like almost two rolls worth. Why bring an 11 ounce filter when you can bring a 3 ounce set of Aqua Mira? No groundcloth? No bandaids?!? They only weigh a couple grams each... What community items are you sharing with other people?

Christopher Robin
03-14-2008, 13:12
Map, molskin, compass, whistle, fleece vest.

Ender
03-14-2008, 13:27
I think i would want more than a 3oz. poncho out there. especially in the whites.

I used a 1.5 ounce poncho in the whites... one of those disposable ones you get in just about any outdoors store. Worked great in the whites, no complaints at all, even in 100 mph winds and rain. Kept me dry and warm.