PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need at spot in VA 3-day 3/27

pqbball
03-12-2008, 00:15
I'm hoping someone can help me here. A group of friends and I are planning a 3-day around 3/27. Two in the group will be on their Honeymoon (nothing like a good hike to celebrate...), so we need a spot with plenty of water available for a "base camp" with good opportunities for a couple of day hikes. Since we'll be coming in from Northeastern NC, we'll be limited to Shenandoah south to the James River area. We've hiked a little in this section this year (~40 miles), but we wanted to try something different. Any ideas here would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Tennessee Viking
03-12-2008, 00:47
Mt Rogers area maybe. Start out at either Damascus or Bear Tree Campground.

pqbball
03-12-2008, 08:09
I was thinking about Hog Camp Gap or an area near Spy Rock, but I wasn't sure how available water would be in these areas. Any thoughts anyone?

Thoughtful Owl
03-12-2008, 15:33
I was thinking about Hog Camp Gap or an area near Spy Rock, but I wasn't sure how available water would be in these areas. Any thoughts anyone?

I was at Hog Camp Gap on 2/22-24 and had plenty of water. With the rain we have been having still shouldn't be a problem at the end of the month.

Blissful
03-12-2008, 20:07
Hog Camp Gap has a huge campsite. But right on the trail and near a dirt road. Not sure you 'd want to leave your stuff laying around while you day hike. (?) Might need to find something more off trail.

Press
03-12-2008, 23:00
You could park at Hog Camp but hike to Mt. Pleasant, just a few miles, to camp. There are some awesome camping spots, totally secluded, just at the foot of the spur trail that leads up to the top of Mt. Pleasant. Then, you could do some loop hikes including part of the AT, the old Hotel Trail, Cole (Cold) Mt., or north from Hog Camp along Tar Jacket Ridge. Good description in the AT book for this section.