PDA

View Full Version : A new podscaster

Pathfinder45
03-12-2008, 00:22
i'm starting a new podcast about hiking..life on the AT any advice:datz

Appalachian Tater
03-12-2008, 00:41
Yeah, check out the podcasts at Practical Backpacking, just don't try to register for the site. Apparently they don't allow direct links from this site, but it should be the first indented link here: http://www.google.com/search?q=practical%20backpacking&sourceid=mozilla2&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Also, is there a big demand for hiking podcasts? Even if you aren't doing it for money, think of it as a business and do a mini-business plan with emphasis on the market analysis.

ImkerVS
03-12-2008, 05:43
Take a recorder with you on the trail once in a while. Mix the practical with some cutting up. Consider going duo.

Lellers
03-12-2008, 08:12
I would very much like to hear a podcast about the AT. I think you should listen to some of the other hiking podcasts out there. I like the PB podcast, but it is gear-centric, and I want to hear more about hiking experiences. I really liked the old Trailcast, but that seems to have faded away. There are two guys down in Alabama doing something called the Southeastern Backpacker podcast. They're on the right track, but sound quality is not really great, and they tend to ramble in their discussions. But I like the feel of their podcast. It's kind of like sitting around a virtual campfire and sharing tales of the trail.

My suggestions are to pay attention to sound quality. I'm not techno-savvy, so I don't know how to make sure it's good. I don't really care if there are music bumpers, or fancy intros, etc. But I do want to hear what's being said without lots of background noises. I love interviews with other hikers. I'd love to hear something actually recorded on the trail, shows about various sections of the trail and what makes those sections unique, why people are drawn to the trail . . . that sort of thing.

Good luck with it, and be sure to let us know when you have your first show up!