PDA

View Full Version : BRP Cracking down on Leash Laws

Ramble~On
03-12-2008, 00:45
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200880311152

The Blue Ridge Parkway will be quicker to issue $100.00 fines to those who do not keep their dogs on a leash. As the AT spends so much time along this road and crosses it so many times this might be something to consider. I realize that having dogs off leash and free is a topic of heated debate here and on other sites. I'm posting this simply to inform.

Appalachian Tater
03-12-2008, 00:48
Garrison said he doesn’t have numbers but figures there are about 10 cases a year of loose dogs biting someone on the parkway, sometimes resulting in serious injury.
It’s also a problem when dogs chase wildlife, he said. And there have been incidents in national parks across the country of park rangers being bitten by dogs.
“What we’re seeing more frequently is dogs biting people or making them feel uncomfortable,” he said.

Ought to be $1,000.

minnesotasmith
03-12-2008, 00:49
Ought to be $1,000.

And confiscate the dog, plus bar the owner from having any pets for 5 years.

Appalachian Tater
03-12-2008, 01:25
And confiscate the dog, plus bar the owner from having any pets for 5 years.I was going to say "shoot to kill on sight" but then what would we do with all the orphaned dogs?

Ramble~On
03-12-2008, 01:53
:rolleyes: There goes the neighborhood!

Appalachian Tater
03-12-2008, 01:57
One of my greatest joys when taking a walk is watching dogs take a leak on the "DOG-FREE LAWN" sign and then taking a dump on the lawn itself. Surely that sign couldn't possibly apply to THEIR little friend.

RiverWarriorPJ
03-12-2008, 05:25
..Stayin' on Topic.....Thnx 4 the info Spirit..

dixicritter
03-12-2008, 07:31
..Stayin' on Topic.....Thnx 4 the info Spirit..

You beat me to it thank you! MS and Tator... Take it out of this forum... You both know better.

Tin Man
03-12-2008, 08:23
You beat me to it thank you! MS and Tator... Take it out of this forum... You both know better.

Is this the dogs belong on the AT forum? :)

I know, people should be civil if they want to discuss why dogs don't belong on the AT.

dixicritter
03-12-2008, 08:45
Is this the dogs belong on the AT forum? :)

I know, people should be civil if they want to discuss why dogs don't belong on the AT.
Actually it is as follows.... (found here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16259))

Notice

This forum was created for the purpose of discussing how to responsibly hike the trail with a dog. The purpose of the forum is not to debate the whole topic of dogs on the trail. If your aim is to do so, please go to The general forum or poll forum or something. Otherwise stay away from these threads.

That said, if you disagree with dogs on the trail, it is probably because of unaware or irresponsible owners. The purpose of this forum was to try to fix that. The hope is dog hikers can pass on to each other the things that make the rare, good trail dogs a good trail dog. If more trail dogs benefit from good owners, then maybe there will be less problems in the long run.

If a dog owner that plans to bring their dog to the trail comes here and learns all the informal rules; the health, safety, and first aid issues they must consider; the impact a hike can have on a dog, the impact a dog can have on a hike; the equipment and pack weight issues to consider; effects of secondary predation, disease, and other impacts of wildlife on the dog and the dog on the wildlife; and the overall impact of the dog hiker on other hikers and even other dogs - The hope is that a dog owner can participate in the forum and learn all the informal rules and how hard it can really be to hike with a pet responsibly, and then allow them to make a personal, informed decision to either not hike with a pet or to go on the trail armed with the skills, knowledge, and attitude to do it correctly.

All that said, this forum came about this way because it had to. Every time the topic of how to act responsibly, the thread deteriorated into another battle against dog lovers against the supposed "dog haters". So if you plan to post here, post advice about how to backpack responsibly with the pet as a response to the question or topic. Due to past experiences the threads will be monitored closely for failure to comply. Abusers will loose the ability to read or post on this forum.

I have emphasized the last two sentences because we really want folks to remember that part. ;)

Tin Man
03-12-2008, 09:19
I have emphasized the last two sentences because we really want folks to remember that part. ;)

I agree, that is important for all dog forum posters to remember.

This is important for all dog owners to remember...

The hope is that a dog owner can participate in the forum and learn all the informal rules and how hard it can really be to hike with a pet responsibly, and then allow them to make a personal, informed decision to either not hike with a pet or to go on the trail armed with the skills, knowledge, and attitude to do it correctly.

See Bee
03-12-2008, 09:31
I welcome the law along the BRP. Free Range Dogs (FRD) are abundant on the MST at 74 and the Folk Art Center. I walk with a dog leashed and have to get between my dog and the FRD everytime I'm on those trails.

See Bee
03-12-2008, 09:33
I meant MTS, not MST

Appalachian Tater
03-12-2008, 12:06
I welcome the law along the BRP. Free Range Dogs (FRD) are abundant on the MST at 74 and the Folk Art Center. I walk with a dog leashed and have to get between my dog and the FRD everytime I'm on those trails.Do Free Range Dogs taste like Free Range Chickens?

(That's a joke.)

Jail Break
03-12-2008, 12:10
Do Free Range Dogs taste like Free Range Chickens?

(That's a joke.)

More like free range cattle.

AlwaysHiking
03-12-2008, 13:11
I've noticed that the NPS website for BRP (http://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm) doesn't mention anything about pets, at least that I can find. Is that a regional thing and perhaps why they haven't made a blanket statement about it on their website?

What about areas of the GWNF (http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/general_info/index.shtml), which says leashes are only required in developed recreation sites, where the BRP runs thru?

The reason I ask is that I organize a backpacking club and get asked those questions all the time.

See Bee
03-12-2008, 13:45
According to the bear I interviewed, and I quote: "Free Range Dogs do, in fact, taste like Chicken".

Heater
03-12-2008, 14:02
Do Free Range Dogs taste like Free Range Chickens?

(That's a joke.)

YES. Both are a little "gamey" but the dog is somewhat more stringy.

Heater
03-12-2008, 14:06
According to the bear I interviewed, and I quote: "Free Range Dogs do, in fact, taste like Chicken".

...and you know you CAN make any meat taste OK with the right spices!

Take "Blackened Redfish" for instance.

Gray Blazer
03-12-2008, 14:23
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200880311152

As the AT spends so much time along this road and crosses it so many times this might be something to consider.

I don't recall the BRP crossing the AT. Now, the Skyline Drive, that's a different story.

hammock engineer
03-12-2008, 14:53
I pretty sure it does, at least I remember doing a little road walk instead on the parkway.

We can only hope this catching on. I had a couple buddies bit this year and came close a couple times myself.

Sly
03-12-2008, 15:00
I don't recall the BRP crossing the AT. Now, the Skyline Drive, that's a different story.

Yeah it crosses at least a couple times. Once before Thunderhill then back over then comes out along the BRP before Wanyesboro

Sly
03-12-2008, 15:03
Here are the AT accesses along the BRP

http://www.nps.gov/archive/blri/hikeat.htm

Gray Blazer
03-12-2008, 15:51
Thanks for not flaming me for being an ignorant ********. You guys are really mellowing.

Tinker
03-12-2008, 16:08
A loose dog on the Parkway could lead to its death, or the death or injury of humans if it causes a traffic accident. Good call!

On the AT, and other trails, I've been in the company of folks who have well trained pets, and have been very happy to hike with them. I love dogs. Don't care for untrained owners! :D

Blissful
03-12-2008, 20:11
I rarely have seen rangers patrolling the BRP - not like SNP. But for the dog's safety and because of traffic, makes sense to keep him or her leashed in parking lots and when crossing the parkway and the overlooks.

Ramble~On
03-14-2008, 04:01
http://www.virtualblueridge.com/parkway/general/regulations.asp

Cherokee Bill
03-14-2008, 06:49
:mad: How about the neighbor that walks her/his dog around the neighborhood and allows their dog to "poop" in your front yard :mad: and you don't even own a dog. You've got 20-piles in the front :( Shoot the dog.

Bad as the hiker with a dog, usually a big dog, in the shelter and into every darn thing in the shelter. Heck, try to cook a meal, darn near impossible :(

Frau
03-14-2008, 07:08
The AT crosses the BRP on top of Apple Orchard Mt. In THIS area, so I am guessing anywhere in the GWNF, the BRP rules trump the NF rules. The Park service patrols the BRP, so their rules hold sway. This gets very interesting when hunters park on the BRP, (bad, bad) and then drop down off the Parkway into the NF to hunt. They are legal in the NF and get tickets from the Park Police on their return to vehicles, for a variety of violations.

I keep Win on leash when on the AT on top of Apple Orchard. There are numerous hikers up there, AND the road is dangerously close to the trail.

Frau

Frau
03-14-2008, 07:19
Addendum:

Blissful said she hadn't seen much in the way of Park Police patrolling the BRP. There are more up there than forest rangers in the GWNF. The patrolling is especially heavy during hunting season.

Numerous years ago a HUGE illegal hunting operation was busted here in the county. There is so little for both the Park Service and the NF that they spend most of their funds bagging only biggest criminals.

Many of those involved in the illegal hunting are still out their in the woods hunting. The rangers and police know them all and keep close eyes on them. And of course, the hunters know all the officers by name.

Only my experience here locally--

Frau

Gray Blazer
03-14-2008, 07:56
:mad: How about the neighbor that walks her/his dog around the neighborhood and allows their dog to "poop" in your front yard :mad: and you don't even own a dog. You've got 20-piles in the front :( Shoot the dog.

Bad as the hiker with a dog, usually a big dog, in the shelter and into every darn thing in the shelter. Heck, try to cook a meal, darn near impossible :(

You need to put a little cross in your front yard with a sign that reads.....Here lie the remains of the last dog that pooped in my yard.

Tipi Walter
03-14-2008, 09:34
I was hitch hiking on the BRP with Celo Woman and we were on our way to the southern end of Shenandoah when a ranger stopped and kicked us off the parkway. We had to walk to a "civilian" road nearby and hitch. I guess he could've seized our packs, our wallets, our clothing, threw us in the slammer as Most Wanted ha ha but he didn't. Just told us to get off. Wouldn't want the wheeled tourists to see something spontaneious and unmanicured. Might be upsetting.

And everyone knows you can't camp anywhere off the Parkway(although I've known people who did). Hearing about the dog lease law just brings back these memories and shows that eventually the henpecking nanny state will allow human use of the Parkway but only when rolling as a Wheeled Tourist. Unlimited car useage is great, spew up the countryside, use it as a thundering Harley raceway, but god forbid if a dog runs loose.

snuffy smith
03-15-2008, 11:34
Here he lies cold and hard.The last d#$ned dog that sh$t in my yard.

Groucho
03-15-2008, 12:18
Here are the AT accesses along the BRP

http://www.nps.gov/archive/blri/hikeat.htm

How old is that info? The AT near Rockfish Gap hasn't used 610 in years and no longer crosses the parkway at 2.2 mi. The AT no longer skirts the Humpback Rocks parking area either, though the AT could be accessed by using the Humpback Rocks trail.

Sly
03-15-2008, 12:29
How old is that info? The AT near Rockfish Gap hasn't used 610 in years and no longer crosses the parkway at 2.2 mi. The AT no longer skirts the Humpback Rocks parking area either, though the AT could be accessed by using the Humpback Rocks trail.

I'm not sure how old it is but I don't think you're reading it correctly. PWR and PWL left aren't BRP but side trails/roads. It also gives distances from the trail.

Groucho
03-15-2008, 13:24
I'm not sure how old it is but I don't think you're reading it correctly. PWR and PWL left aren't BRP but side trails/roads. It also gives distances from the trail.

Actually, I believe I understand it: PWR and PWL mean that: if you are travelling on the BRP headed south then these listed areas are on the right of the Parkway, PWR, or the left of the Parkway, PWL. Is that what you meant?

At mi. 2.2 on the BRP the AT no longer crosses the Parkway. It used to come out to the L of the Parkway, then cross the Parkway, and follow 610 to Rockfish Gap. Unless it has been re-rerouted it no longer does and there is no longer access there.

The trail no longer skirts the edge of the Humpback Rocks parking area and no longer goes up (or down) Humpback Rocks. You can access the trail N and S of this area.

Just in case someone would plan a trip based on this information.

Wise Old Owl
03-15-2008, 23:47
:rolleyes: There goes the neighborhood!

No surprise there, Thank you for finding the article SpiritWind,

As "Ceasar", the dog whisper says, "there are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners"!