PDA

View Full Version : MARTA to Hiker Hostel Pickup

Pony Boy
03-12-2008, 01:07
Have not even thought about this and can not find the info I need on the MARTA site. Are knives, treking poles, leathermans etc etc allowed on MARTA trains? do they check bags similar to airlines?? kind of sort of concerned...thanks
ponyboy..

Appalachian Tater
03-12-2008, 01:24
No, they don't check bags. You will be leaving the secure airport area, entering the unsecured area of the airport, and going directly into the MARTA station without ever going outside. There will be MARTA personnel available if you need assistance but they don't care what you carry on the train in your luggage. The stations and cars are clean and uncrowded.

Just make sure you have $1.75 handy and that you get on the train to North Springs, not Doraville.

Thrasher
03-12-2008, 05:40
You're not supposed to have any knives on the train, but I wouldn't worry about it. They don't check bags. It'll cost a little more than $1.75 because you will have to buy a "breeze" card to load. I think that they are $0.50, maybe more, I don't know. As Tater said, have the right amount of cash, otherwise you'll end up with a hand full of one dollar coins for change if you use a $20 bill.

rtober
03-12-2008, 10:51
you can read part of the Georgia Statues here: http://www.lexis-nexis.com/hottopics/gacode/default.asp

O.C.G.A. § 16-12-123 deals with carry weapons on public transportation in Georgia.

Section (b):

Any person who boards or attempts to board an aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle with any explosive, destructive device, or hoax device as such term is defined in Code Section 16-7-80; firearm; hazardous substance as defined by Code Section 12-8-92; or knife or other device designed or modified for the purpose of offense and defense concealed on or about his or her person or property which is or would be accessible to such person while on the aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be sentenced to imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten years. The prohibition of this subsection shall not apply to any law enforcement officer, peace officer retired from a state or federal law enforcement agency, person in the military service of the state or of the United States, or commercial security personnel employed by the transportation company who is in possession of weapons used within the course and scope of their employment; nor shall the prohibition apply to persons transporting weapons contained in baggage which is not accessible to passengers if the presence of such weapons has been declared to the transportation company and such weapons have been secured in a manner prescribed by state or federal law or regulation for the purpose of transportation or shipment. .. <snip>

technically carring a concealed weapon (with or without a license) or other hazardous material on georgia public transportation is a felony but they don't actively search or check your bags when boarding.

basically, keep everything in your luggage, don't try to wear it concealed and you'll be fine. Trekking poles you can probably just carry on without any issues - people transport skii poles and stuff all the time I'm sure.

Appalachian Tater
03-12-2008, 11:32
You're not supposed to have any knives on the train, but I wouldn't worry about it. They don't check bags. It'll cost a little more than $1.75 because you will have to buy a "breeze" card to load. I think that they are $0.50, maybe more, I don't know. As Tater said, have the right amount of cash, otherwise you'll end up with a hand full of one dollar coins for change if you use a $20 bill.

Sorry, I didn't know about the "Breeze"--that stuff is new. They are $0.50 according to the website, so you do need $2.25. For the distance you're going, that's still a pretty darn good deal.