PDA

View Full Version : New guy.. what would you choose? / Marmot or MSR?

fenrisx
03-12-2008, 05:29
I'm currently tentless, but my fiance and I are going to start camping a few times a year.. maybe more.

I was looking at the Marmot Limelight tent, and it looks like it would be good from what I've read.

However, I also really like the Hubba Hubba, and have read lots of good things about it on here. Also.. the REI Halfdome T2..

Too tough of a choice..

Would it be worth spending the extra cash on the Hubba Hubba or Halfdome T2, or would the Limelight be a suitable tent? Or is there a better tent you would recommend? I want something that isn't going to be leaking if it happens to rain on us.. or be unbearable on a humid summer night.

We'd just be camping 2 nights at a time.. except once a year when we'll spend a few nights camping around the North Shores in Minnesota during the summer/fall.

Thanks!

Hooch
03-12-2008, 06:18
Since Rome isn't too far from Atlanta or Kennesaw, I'd recommend going to your local REI and talking with them. After you get a few suggestions, when you're ready to take a trip, rent a tent from them that they suggest and see how you like it. Do that for a couple trips until you find one that you like and works for you, then buy it. :D

PJ 2005
03-12-2008, 11:16
http://www.tarptent.com/products.html

I'm too much of a wimp for a tarp, but didn't want the weight of most tents, so I ended up with a Squall 2 (with the sewn-in "bathtub" floor option). It's still the best gear purchase I've ever made. 2.1 pounds for a tent that will hold you and all your gear with room to spare? It's tough to beat. I even set it up in the rain a couple times with no problem at all.

Almost There
03-12-2008, 11:47
How big are you and your fiance, most two person tents, aren't really two person tents.

Thrasher
03-12-2008, 11:51
Since Rome isn't too far from Atlanta or Kennesaw, I'd recommend going to your local REI and talking with them. After you get a few suggestions, when you're ready to take a trip, rent a tent from them that they suggest and see how you like it. Do that for a couple trips until you find one that you like and works for you, then buy it. :D

The Kennesaw store doesn't open until May.
I would also recommend checking them out at the REI in Perimeter or Buford. Set one up in the store, get both of you inside it, and see how they feel. Find out how easy it is to set up. I'd check out the new quarter dome t2 from REI I have the old quarter dome and like it a lot, but the new one has some nice improvements. I don't think you'd go wrong with a hubba hubba either.

fenrisx
03-13-2008, 14:07
How big are you and your fiance, most two person tents, aren't really two person tents.

I'm 6ft 160lbs soaking wet.. athletic borderline just scrawny build. ;) And she's small.. So I figured a 2 person wouldn't seem too cramped.. we sleep close anyways.

The idea of renting them sounds good, but I sort of want to go ahead and just buy one. It'd be nice to have one if a last minute wheeling trip comes up instead of having to find a hotel when there's a camp ground closer.

I like the REI Quarter Dome T2 and the MSR Hubba Hubba the best.. so maybe I'll go with one of those! I'll try to make it down to Atlanta to check some out first though.

Thanks for the input everyone.

bloodmountainman
03-13-2008, 14:16
Marmot is built stronger and will last longer. MSR is lighter and more compact..... decisions, decisions!!!:-?

Tipi Walter
03-13-2008, 14:35
I would definitely go with the Marmot Limelight as it's got 32 sq feet(3 more than the HubbaHubba), less mesh than the Hubba and nearly the same weight. The MSR has too much mesh in my opinion.

But 32 sq feet is still pretty small for two people. On my extended trips with the girlfriend I just bit the bullet and got a larger tent, something around 45 sq feet, and she definitely likes the space.

And here's something else I learned: We started carrying separate small tents, she had hers and I had mine. This system worked out best cuz it gave her more room to do her thing, to read into the night, to slumber(ah, perhaps to dream)WITHOUT MY SNORING PRESENCE FELT. Important consideration.

Rainman
03-13-2008, 15:03
Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=47

Happy Hiking:p

LIhikers
03-13-2008, 17:42
I'm going to suggest the Tarptent Rainshadow
http://www.tarptent.com/productsheets/RAINSHADOW2.pdf
It's down right luxurious for 2 people. Not only will it have room for the 2 of you but also for a faim amount of your clothes and/or gear

Blissful
03-13-2008, 18:36
I loved our hubba hubba, and plenty enough for 2. the Tarptent was kind of small and I wasn't that thrilled about the single wall design. Too much condensation at times and wet bags. And esp for MN you will like the bug protection without the rain fly on.

There is no need for a tarptent for camping.

Venture
03-13-2008, 19:33
The hubba hubba has some perks to it! You each get your own door-no crawling over/aroound eachother(not necessarily a bad thing but when you have to get up in the middle of the night its nice not to get a knee in the groin!), You each have your own vestibule for gear storage and organization as well. Have fun choosing!

fenrisx
03-14-2008, 03:34
So many choices!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-14-2008, 06:52
Two doors for a couple is a real perk - both the Tarptent Double Rainbow and the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo have two doors and two vestibules.

The Lunar Duo seems to have more headroom when you are inside (a subjective observation). It is not freestanding and requires two hiking poles to set-up. It weighs 39 ozs, has 34 sq ft plus 24 sq ft in vestibule, 45 " peak height and pack size is 14" x 6".

The Double Rainbow can be freestanding with two hiking poles - a nice feature when setting up in rain (can assemble tent in a sheltered place and then move it to a good spot for sleeping). This tent weighs 40 ozs, has 29 to 36 sq ft, 43" peak height & pack size is 20" x 4"

We Dinos have gone ultralight and now use Antigravity Gear's 10' Brawny tarptent (http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=AGTTTP10) (the old Brawny tarp with a floor). The tent plus pole and stakes weighs 23 ozs, 42" peak height and has 38.25 sq ft plus 18 sq ft in the vestibule. We use one of our silnylon ponchos (our rain gear and pack cover) instead of the provided vestibule to save 3.1 ozs (weight saving included in weight mentioned) Pack size is 6" x 9" plus three 14" tent pole sections