PDA

View Full Version : Planning 3-day, 3/27 in VA...any thoughts?

pqbball
03-12-2008, 08:10
I'm hoping someone can help me here. A group of friends and I are planning a 3-day around 3/27. Two in the group will be on their Honeymoon (nothing like a good hike to celebrate...), so we need a spot with plenty of water available for a "base camp" with good opportunities for a couple of day hikes. Since we'll be coming in from Northeastern NC, we'll be limited to Shenandoah south to the James River area. We've hiked a little in this section this year (~40 miles), but we wanted to try something different. Any ideas here would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thoughtful Owl
03-12-2008, 10:42
I personally would go a little further west and maybe do a section from Rt 620 to Rt 220. You will have some great views. Dragon's Tooth, McAfee's Knob, Tinker Cliffs etc. You didn't say how many miles you plan to cover in a day, This hike could be shortened by going to Rt 311 to 220 you would basically only miss Dragon's Tooth. This hike would require a shuttle or a car parked at the end.

If you want a base camp with day hiking, you may want to consider the Crabtree Falls area of Nelson County. There are many day hike options from this location.

pqbball
03-12-2008, 10:54
Thanks for the info. Are there any campsites near that area? Probably looking to dayhike only 3-4 miles a day this time.

Fannypack
03-12-2008, 11:07
Thanks for the info. Are there any campsites near that area? Probably looking to dayhike only 3-4 miles a day this time.
u may want to check with the guy who started this thread , http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33646 , for possible campsite(s) near Crabtree Falls.....

Of course, if u haven't been to The Homeplace in Catawba, us may want to dayhike in that area so u can go to both Mcafee & Dragon's Tooth... u could park at one of the trailhead parking lots at the end of each day & hike into the "woods" a ways to camp....

Enjoy....

wilconow
03-12-2008, 11:14
http://www.crabtreefallscampground.com/

Thoughtful Owl
03-12-2008, 11:47

Another place to camp in the Crabtree Falls area is at Montebello
http://www.montebellova.com/

and there are tent sites along the AT in both locations.

KevinAce
03-12-2008, 11:53
We just did Wise Shelter to Lost Mountain shelter (23.6 very tough miles). That might be a bit ambitious for three days, but the scenery was spectacular. I was amazed at all the different landscapes we saw from one turn to the next. I recommend the area! For a less rugged trip, you could just hike different trails within the Grayson Highlands (road accessible). Perhaps setup a base camp then go out and wonder around each day.

Lone Wolf
03-12-2008, 11:54
too far south for what he's asking

Thoughtful Owl
03-12-2008, 11:58
LW, just wondering, you are very knowledgeable about this area, what are your suggestions for pqbball?

pqbball
03-12-2008, 12:34
I appreciate it. I just want to try to find a place with water available that won't break the newlyweds backs (i'm sure they'll need their energy:). I'll check this stuff out...

Please keep it comin:)

Lone Wolf
03-12-2008, 12:36
LW, just wondering, you are very knowledgeable about this area, what are your suggestions for pqbball?

i don't know much about the area he's asking about which is 200+ miles from damascus

Thoughtful Owl
03-12-2008, 15:09
I appreciate it. I just want to try to find a place with water available that won't break the newlyweds backs (i'm sure they'll need their energy:). I'll check this stuff out...

Please keep it comin:)

PM Hikerhead, he is from Roanoke and see what he suggests.

KevinAce
03-12-2008, 15:24
i don't know much about the area he's asking about which is 200+ miles from damascusJust came from there (I'm from Dayton, OH). Packrat IE Dave (wanting to rename himself to "walksalot") dropped us off for our hike (nd also picked us up when we bailed out early. Damascus is a cool little town!

stewill
03-24-2008, 10:58
My wife and I have limited time, but we would like to do a two day 15 to 20 mile hike ending in Damascus. Any thoughts on a good place to access the trail and start?
Thanks
Stewill