PDA

View Full Version : 4 oz fuel canister - how long will it last?

Mrs Baggins
03-12-2008, 08:22
I bought myself an MSR Pocket Rocket stove and one of the 4 oz fuel canisters. I have no idea how long one of these will last. I'll be out 2 weeks and probably firing it up 10 out of the 14 days. So if I boil water every morning for coffee and oatmeal and every night for a Lipton Sides dinner and some tea, will one canister be enough or should I plan to be buying a 2nd canister along the way? I'm using a .9 liter cook pot.

rafe
03-12-2008, 08:32
I figure about 0.1 oz of fuel for every cup of water boiled. That estimate has worked pretty well on the trail. Last summer I went through 2.5 large canisters in six weeks -- but hard to say for sure, because I never let any of the canisters run out. I abandoned them before that happened.

Chache
03-12-2008, 08:36
I bought myself an MSR Pocket Rocket stove and one of the 4 oz fuel canisters. I have no idea how long one of these will last. I'll be out 2 weeks and probably firing it up 10 out of the 14 days. So if I boil water every morning for coffee and oatmeal and every night for a Lipton Sides dinner and some tea, will one canister be enough or should I plan to be buying a 2nd canister along the way? I'm using a .9 liter cook pot.
With my jetboil I get about 24 boils doing 2 cups each time. I would think you would get at least 20 boils.

Mrs Baggins
03-12-2008, 08:37
I'm really trying to keep the weight down in my pack so that's why I'm trying to avoid carrying 2 of the canisters at once. Last year we used our MSR Whisperlight (aka "The Blowtorch") and only used 1/2 the canister in 10 days, and that was cooking for two of us. Of course, some of that gas was used up in the big fires that usually resulted when trying to light the *#@* thing! :eek: Pocket Rocket is definitely better!

fiddlehead
03-12-2008, 09:26
Is 4 oz the smallest one? DOn't know, but i always carry the small ones and always figure about 5 days per canister. But i am pretty frugal with my fuel and use a windscreen, cook my noodle dinners ONLY till the water comes to a boil and then turn it off and wait 12 minutes, sometimes will cook on a fire if i have one.

I never carried one of the big ones. I shake them to see how much is left and if i'm getting low, and still have a couple of days before it runs out, then i'll try to build a fire if it works out.

also, i always crush them with a rock to transport them to the trash container. They weigh about the same as 3 empty beer cans.

Your cooking pot is smaller than mine. Does it have a tight fitting lid? (That helps conserve too) The last one i used was 1.3 litres.
If it's cold, hold your bic lighter under the bottom to warm it up. (or your hands/legs/groin/body) (anyway, that's what i do)

bulldog49
03-12-2008, 09:27
With my jetboil I get about 24 boils doing 2 cups each time. I would think you would get at least 20 boils.

20 boils is about what I get with my canister stove in optimum conditions on 4 ozs. Of course that varies on weather conditions and water temps.

Myself, I'm a bit paranoid about running out of fuel, so if I were going out for two weeks without a resupply I would take the larger 8 oz canister. If the added 4 oz weight is that critical I could find other ways to reduce it.

dessertrat
03-12-2008, 09:28

Plan on two. Four ounces may be alright for boiling a pot of water once a day, but I don't think you'll get away with ten days.

Tinker
03-12-2008, 10:24
I did a Maine section with my son, so we were cooking for two. We also had one fuel intensive breakfast - pancakes and sausage. I used up a 4 oz. cannister in 4 days for the two of us with my Pocket Rocket.

Mrs Baggins
03-12-2008, 10:26
I did a Maine section with my son, so we were cooking for two. We also had one fuel intensive breakfast - pancakes and sausage. I used up a 4 oz. cannister in 4 days for the two of us with my Pocket Rocket.

Wow, I think maybe I better squeeze that 2nd canister into my pack somehow. I do love my morning coffee - lots of it.

Toolshed
03-12-2008, 10:53
I am going out for 6 days next week and am carrying 2-4oz cans (1-full, 1 half full). I would rather have the flexibility of more coffee and hot water than worry about running out.
Even though the odds are that I wouldn't run out on 1 can, it would obsessively be on my mind every time I fired it up.

bigmac_in
03-12-2008, 11:56
Based on my own experiences with the pocket rocket, you should be OK with one canister for 2 weeks. However, I can go a day or two without boiling water if I need too. If I was worried about it, I'd carry the 2nd canister.

My 2 cents.

Have fun !

jesse
03-12-2008, 12:09
you could use your fuel in the morning, and use a campfire at night.

rafe
03-12-2008, 14:12
you could use your fuel in the morning, and use a campfire at night.

Can't really rely on campfires on the AT. Fire riings are gone from many shelters. And if you're stealth camping, a fresh fire ring is a serious violation of LNT principles.

Yeah, yeah, the boy scouts will chime in that they can build a fire ring and still "leave no trace." I say baloney.

Hooch
03-12-2008, 14:17
Wow, I think maybe I better squeeze that 2nd canister into my pack somehow. I do love my morning coffee - lots of it.Why not pack an 8oz canister instead of two 4oz canisters? Wouldn't it weigh less and take up less room in your pack?

swellbill
03-12-2008, 14:29
Can't really rely on campfires on the AT. Fire riings are gone from many shelters. And if you're stealth camping, a fresh fire ring is a serious violation of LNT principles.

Yeah, yeah, the boy scouts will chime in that they can build a fire ring and still "leave no trace." I say baloney.

Hey I’m a scouter and could do it without a trace….well… only a black circle on the ground…and some black rocks, half burnt sticks, ashes, half burnt plastic trash…there was that one forest fire…:bse

take-a-knee
03-12-2008, 14:50
Why not pack an 8oz canister instead of two 4oz canisters? Wouldn't it weigh less and take up less room in your pack?

You'll aldo only get into a low pressure situation (IE low performance) once instead of twice .

Christopher Robin
03-12-2008, 15:15
Well you are taling about fuel, have much alcohol should I carry for 2 person w/at less 4-6 cups of hot water a day for 10 days. Please.

rafe
03-12-2008, 15:33
Some folks claim to be able to boil 2 cups of water with 1/2 oz. of alcohol. I was never anywhere near that lucky. Without wind, 1 oz usually did the trick.

Bob S
03-12-2008, 16:00
It would be a good idea to carry an extra 4 oz canister till you are more familiar with the stoves consumption as it relates to your usage.

I would rather have to pack a few more ounces of weight then not be able to cook.