PDA

View Full Version : Knot card game

desdemona
03-12-2008, 10:32
This is really cute: http://www.rei.com/product/687141

Essentially it is a deck of cards with illustrations of various knots and some no. of points to each knot (square knot 1 pt.), a strand of cord, and a couple little wood sticks. Very good price ($6). Not all the illustrations are equally clear, but still... Might be nice of kids of about scout age and adults, good campsite game, and even good as solitaire.
I think it is a cool little product. Got one review as 5 stars.

--des

Thoughtful Owl
03-12-2008, 10:50
Thanks des for this link. Pretty neat way to entertain and keep the knots fresh in a scouts mind.

desdemona
03-12-2008, 23:53
Thanks des for this link. Pretty neat way to entertain and keep the knots fresh in a scouts mind.

I played with it a bit tonight, actually it was fairly engaging.

It could use another piece of cord, same size different color (theirs is red), and also a thinner cord. There are several knots that take two pieces of cord.

You could divide it into groups of 1-2-3-4-5 point knots. You could even do handicapping. It's a pretty nice set for the price, and has educational and even recreational value. I learned a thing or two with it.
The pictures aren't equally helpful. I'd pull those where the instructions are hard to read.

--des

Bob S
03-13-2008, 00:22
The local Army Navy store sells these, I have thought about getting a set but haven’t yet. I thought it took 2-people, I do a lot of solo stuff (and like it that way) and thought it would be of little use. I will have to walk down to the store and give it another look.

gold bond
03-13-2008, 09:06
Thanks for the info! I've ordered 5 sets for our troop. What a great resource you guys are!

desdemona
03-13-2008, 23:29
The local Army Navy store sells these, I have thought about getting a set but haven’t yet. I thought it took 2-people, I do a lot of solo stuff (and like it that way) and thought it would be of little use. I will have to walk down to the store and give it another look.

You can easily do this as solitaire. I kind of "played" it that way. I gave me self 3 times to get the knot and if I did I got the points. It is kind of a painless way of learning some handy knots. It is also a nice reference.

--des

Christopher Robin
03-16-2008, 19:42
Great idea my grand kids love it when I take pices of rope w/us when I take them backpacking now I will have another game to play w/rope. Thanks again.

Flush2wice
03-16-2008, 20:43
I've spent hours with Ashley's Book of Knots. Never knew there were so many.

Bob S
03-16-2008, 23:41
I've spent hours with Ashley's Book of Knots. Never knew there were so many.

I’ve got this book, it’s a great book, heavy too.

desdemona
03-17-2008, 09:24
I’ve got this book, it’s a great book, heavy too.

Macrame (didn't know it still existed but it does) uses this book. But it's nice to have basically the weight of a deck of cards. Not saying it covers everything or that everythign is equally readable, but it is compact and there are good ideas for games that you can even make up.

--des

Bob S
03-17-2008, 11:40
Macrame (didn't know it still existed but it does) uses this book. But it's nice to have basically the weight of a deck of cards. Not saying it covers everything or that everythign is equally readable, but it is compact and there are good ideas for games that you can even make up.

--des

You must have a different version of Ashley's Book of Knots book then I do. My copy is 10-inches tall by 8-inches wide and 2-inches thick. It’s a heavy book. It's 10 or 15-years old.

Lanthar Mandragoran
03-17-2008, 18:22
sweet... I may need to grab that as the little one gets older...

desdemona
03-18-2008, 01:44
You must have a different version of Ashley's Book of Knots book then I do. My copy is 10-inches tall by 8-inches wide and 2-inches thick. It’s a heavy book. It's 10 or 15-years old.

I was speaking of the deck of cards!! :-)
YIKES! That book must weigh a ton.

--des

freefall
03-18-2008, 01:56
This is really cute: http://www.rei.com/product/687141

Essentially it is a deck of cards with illustrations of various knots and some no. of points to each knot (square knot 1 pt.), a strand of cord, and a couple little wood sticks. Very good price ($6). Not all the illustrations are equally clear, but still... Might be nice of kids of about scout age and adults, good campsite game, and even good as solitaire.
I think it is a cool little product. Got one review as 5 stars.

--des
I picked one up last fall when I was through SNP- they sell a version of it in the gift shop. Great for anyone that wants to brush up on their knots. The way it is laid out you don't have to play the game; you can use the cards as flash cards so to speak. Very good for Scouts and anyone wanting to advance their knot skills. ( just because it says it is a nautical knot does not mean it doesn't have practical uses on shore)

freefall
03-18-2008, 02:01
Thanks for the info! I've ordered 5 sets for our troop. What a great resource you guys are!
Personally, I think it is a great way to learn knot tying so kudos for ordering for your troop! I can remember looking in the book and trying to duplicate those impossible pictures! Oi! I got my badge but only after getting help from my Dad. He showed me the 3-D of the book's 2-d.