PDA

View Full Version : Gear List - Advice Please!!!

Bigglesworth
03-12-2008, 11:51
OK, I leave NOBO from the approach trail on the 17th, and my pace will be very slow to start! Please help me with any gear suggestions. It is detailed:

Bedroom:
Tent (REI Quarterdome)
Sleeping Pad - 3/4 length, self inflating
Mummy 20 degree sleeping bag, synthetic (don't want to buy new one)
1 pair convertible pants
1 light fleece
1 down jacket
1 rain/shell jacket
2 synthetic base tops - 1 short sleeve, one long sleeve
1 sports bra
1 synthetic baselayer bottoms
1 rain pants
fleece gloves
balaclava
2 pair underwear (they are light running shorts w/ liner)
lightweight hat w/ bill (a must for me)
Asolo Stynger boots

Kitchen:
Food (6 days to start)
stove - jet boil
1 fuel cannister
titanium spork
32 oz nalgene bottle
filter bottle (purifyer)
2 L spare bladder
minimal spices and olive oil
mini scrub sponge

Bathroom:
4 oz soap
multitool w/ knife
chapstick
1 oz dug dope
1 oz purell
mini toothpaste
small toothbrush
1 oz SPF 30 sunblock
2 oz contact lense solution
3 contact lenses (one is a spare; I don't have 3 eyes)
1 small contact case
1 glasses hard case (will not remove this)
1 mini mirror/brush (for putting in contacts)
1 sheet moleskin
6 blister/bandaids
15 wet wipes
mini towel, fast drying
6 hair ties
5x8 writing pad (journal)
pen
potable aqua tabs
whistle/compass
headlamp
TP
3 extra AAA batteries
mini bic lighter
vitamins and pain relievers
small nail clippers
small camera
guide books/maps (minimal as possible)

Other:
6 ft duct tape
lightweight camp shoes
bandanna
trekking poles
MP3 player (not in yet but want to bring)

Pack is Osprey Talon (2400 cu in)
Weighs, without food and with "normal amount" of above clothes on, 24 lbs.

What do you think?

Alligator
03-12-2008, 12:13
That all fits into a 2400 ci pack?

No mention of socks or a pot*.

*oops, didn't see it was a jet boil stove.

gearfreak
03-12-2008, 12:19
Your list looks pretty good. Keep in mind that water is going to add over 2lbs. per liter to your pack weight. You may want to send a drop box to Neels Gap for resupply as you get acclimated over the first couple of days. Do you have a pin for blister care or will you use your knife? You may be able to layer your shirt/fleece/rain jacket in order to leave the down jacket behind. At Walasi Yi, you can buy Thermarest Z-lite by the section which will allow you to extend your sleep pad to a full length and it doubles as a sit pad. Lastly, will all of this fit in your pack? :cool:

DesertMTB
03-12-2008, 12:21
You're bringing a lot of food. You could get by with half that and resupply at Neels Gap. Unless you aren't planning on doing 12-15 mile days.

Tipi Walter
03-12-2008, 12:22
Looks good to me. I'd probably ditch the bandanna and the duct tape and add another Bic lighter. Also ditch the multi-tool and go with a tiny pocketknife.

John B
03-12-2008, 12:28
I'd switch the Nalgene for a Gatoraid; I'd carry 3 days food (4 max) and resupply at Neel's Gap, which is only 30 miles from Springer; I'd scrap the spare batteries; I don't see socks on your list, and I'd carry 2 pair; I'd add Imodium and a tiny tube of Neosporin. I've tried to use Moleskin and didn't like it -- many use a tiny piece of gauze directly over the blister itself and then duct tape over that, which actually works quite well. I'd carry a 1-gallon ziplock to store trash until you can dispose of stuff properly. I never found a need for sun block, but I guess it's reasonable. Kinda early for bugs, so you might scrap that until it's really needed. 4oz soap is a lot -- liquid Dr. Bronners works well even with just a couple of drops (I carry it in an empty 1oz alcohol gell bottle). You might add either a pack cover or use a trash compactor bag INSDE your pack and put stuff in it to keep things as dry as possible. Personally I'd separate stuff into various stuff sacks, but I've seen others who don't. I think you have a fine list. That's my .02 worth. Enjoy your trip!

Jail Break
03-12-2008, 12:38
15 wet wipes - NOT A BIG DEAL, But 15? Carry fewer and resupply. 1 per day?
5x8 writing pad (journal) - Get a 3x5... you won't write as much as you think.
Bear line?
Socks?
Feminine products?

You have your Jet-Boil cup and your Nalgene... if you want to have a hot drink while you are eating, a .4L titanium mug is good to have... even just to make hot chocolate or tea... beats having to clean out that deep jet-boil cup all the time... and your pack is so light you can afford the 2 oz extra weight.

Sounds good otherwise.
I'm starting the 27th... Hope to catch up to you.

Jail Break
03-12-2008, 12:42
Oh... and I'd keep the nalgene for now and swith to a Gatorade bottle later. If you get a really cold night, you can boil water, put it in your nalgene bottle, and tossit down by your feet in your sleeping bag, and still have the water for the next day. Can't put boiling water in a gatorade bottle.

Also a pack cover and/or pack liner.
Maybe less food? Neel's Gap is only 2-3 days out.

Blissful
03-12-2008, 13:54
I'd still recommend a silk liner for your bag. It can still get cold out there and 20 degrees is calling it close (we had teens in April)
Still need a warm hat.
I'd carry underwear - you don't need shorts with liners if your pants convert. What are you wearing when you wear your convertible pants anyway?
Socks?
Only need four days food.
Are you using potable aqua to treat? That stuff is nasty, IMO. Suggest Aqua Mira instead.

You have a very small pack for a spring start. Check to make sure everything fits properly or it could throw you really off balance tying everything to the outside.

Make sure to have a copy of your eye prescription with you, just in case.

Bigglesworth
03-12-2008, 17:20
Thanks for all the tips; please keep suggestions coming! Meanwhile I'll make a couple adjustments. By the way, I do have socks, no worries. And everything does fit well with little lashing on (and it is stable) - just went on a shakedown hike with the full load last week.

My birthday is May 16 - you're all invited for birthday cake at Trail Days! Thanks again!

Toolshed
03-15-2008, 22:19
Very Curious - With that tent and a 20 degree synth Mummy, how DO you get it all in the 2400CI pack with 6 days food?? Am I Missing something here?

Bigglesworth
03-16-2008, 20:58
Everyone is amazed that I can fit everything. It is tight, but fits. Inside the pack is my food bag/kitchen, clothes bag (very minimalist here - no extras; just what I need), bathroom/first aid in another stuff sack, and tent. With winter gear I have to tie the sleeping pad into the top, but it fits compactly, then will fit in the bag once I send some stuff home when warmer. My sleeping bag is lashed on to the "bottom" of the bag. I have a compartment inside the bag for my 2L bladder. The purifyer and nalgene bottle lash on to the back and stuff snugly into a back pocket, and my lightweight camp shoes lash on and tuck into the side. It's all really quite compact. Only 26.8 lbs in its final weight today (without fuel and water)! This is also based on me wearing some of the things on my list at any given time - the clothes on my back wouldn't all fit.

My keys are I found a pack that really fits my organization, I'm not bringing much "extra" in terms of luxury items, and I've accepted that everyone will smell bad so unnecessary clothes and toiletries have been left behind (I think this is where a lot of people go wrong).

Maybe when I get out there I'll find I have more needs and no space and be in trouble...hope not! I leave tomorrow; wish me luck!

quasarr
03-17-2008, 12:30
your list seems nice and pared down, and in fact 25 lbs seems a bit high for the stuff you posted! I'm guessing a lot of that comes from the sleeping bag, pad, and tent. Replacing these 3 with something lighter could probably save you 5 lbs or more. I understand your reluctance to get a new bag b/c they're so expensive. Your pack looks good at only 2 lbs.

Are you hooked on using an inflatible pad? they're heavy! For example, the 3/4 length Thermarest weighs 1 lb, 8 oz. My 3/4 length closed cell foam pad weighs 9 oz. That's 15 oz savings right there - nearly a pound! I know different people have different requirements for comfortable sleeping, but I sleep fine on a foam pad. Foam is warmer too - I hate to tell you to add anything but if you stick with the air pad it's a good idea for cold weather to get a thin closed cell foam pad to go on top. They are warmer because your body heats the air bubbles trapped in the foam. a good one is the Gossamer Gear Thinlight, they're only 3 oz or so!

Are you willing to replace your tent? Perhaps try a tarptent or lightweight solo tent. There are several options that weigh a pound or less! These will cost in the $150-$200 range.

Now for some stuff that's easier to change!

6 ft duct tape - way too much! a few wraps around your trekking pole is all you need

nalgene bottle - been mentioned, but a 1L gatorade or aquafina bottle holds water just as good and weigh only 0.5 oz. Nalgenes weigh 4-5oz! May sound silly but ounces add up to pounds

actually I just realized you're leaving today. LOL oops. couldn't bring myself to delete all the stuff I just wrote! well good luck and happy trails!!!

sly dog
03-17-2008, 13:15
Something for chafing? Gold bond or body glide? Also helps with hot spots on the feet.Needle not only for blisters but for stitching and take some dental floss for stiching things with the needle,pack,bag....and in an emergency... your skin.

Dholmblad
03-19-2008, 10:29
Ditch
4 oz soap
3 extra AAA batteries
1 oz SPF 30 sunblock1 oz purell