PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Washington Summit 03-10-08

The Old Fhart
03-12-2008, 13:40
If anyone would like to see what the summit of Mt. Washington looked like this past weekend, I just posted this photo (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=23027&original=1&c=561). Saturday it was warm enough so it was raining on the summit with mild winds of 40-60mph. Sunday morning the winds were 116mph and dropped to 80mph by evening. Temps hit about -10°F Monday morning. Interesting weather.

wrongway_08
03-12-2008, 13:58
Really cool, thanks for posting! Would like to head back up when its snowing up there. ..... maybe I'll get lucky on my thru.

hammock engineer
03-12-2008, 14:40
That looks awesome. It was nasty and socked in when I went over.

Side question, about how long of a drive is it from Boston to the Whites? I'm looking for places to move to that are within a reasonable drive to great hiking and outdoors spots.

OregonHiker
03-12-2008, 15:01
That looks awesome. It was nasty and socked in when I went over.

Side question, about how long of a drive is it from Boston to the Whites? I'm looking for places to move to that are within a reasonable drive to great hiking and outdoors spots.

About 4 hours

sonic
03-12-2008, 16:23
About 4 hours
4 hours if it isn't a weekend in the summer, Labor day weekend, Memorial Day weekend, a great ski day, etc, etc, etc. The lines up most highways from Boston can be a killer. Everybody will be trying to escape as well.

OregonHiker
03-12-2008, 20:40
4 hours if it isn't a weekend in the summer, Labor day weekend, Memorial Day weekend, a great ski day, etc, etc, etc. The lines up most highways from Boston can be a killer. Everybody will be trying to escape as well.

Yes, my time estimate was for optimal conditions. I think that anyone who lives there understands the variables involved.

Try driving the Pike westbound at Thanksgiving to Sturbridge/I-84 :mad::mad::mad:

Google Earth says 187 miles in 3 hrs 40 minutes.

Scaper
03-13-2008, 01:09
Great picture, If the mountain was about 4000 feet higher it would probably have glaciers on it.

Matteroo
03-13-2008, 02:54
hammock engineer - try oregon for close proximity to incredible outdoors activity.

But the oregon locals prolly aren't too keen on me saying for 'outsiders' to come here. :P

jaiden
03-13-2008, 08:02
you also don't have to live *IN* boston to work there. if you live northwest you will save some time to the mountains at the expense of your commute.

Lellers
03-13-2008, 08:50
Great pic. It has me shivering. I met a boy scout from our area who was up on Mt. Washington with his venture crew the weekend before last. Somewhere on their descent, the kid slipped, slid 75 feet, hitting several trees and coming to a stop against one tree in particular. Collapsed lungs, a 4-hour rescue and an airlift to a Maine hospital followed. He's good now, though. All smiles and standing on his feet. He was at an OA meeting last night with a story to tell.

Chenango
03-13-2008, 09:28
There are web cams up there. It is fun to check them out at different times of the year. The pictures get updates every 15 minutes.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/cam/deck/

ASUGrad
03-13-2008, 09:57
I'm glad I'm not there naked with nothing but a wet sheet wrapped around me.

KevinAce
03-13-2008, 10:24
Glad the boy scout recovered. Thanks for the web cam link chenago. Only 30 MPH winds right now. Haha...it's funny I say "only".

Great pics old phart!

OregonHiker
03-13-2008, 15:03
But the oregon locals prolly aren't too keen on me saying for 'outsiders' to come here. :P

Especially if they are from California :p