PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Atom +40????

tucker0104
03-12-2008, 14:16
Does anyone own or have comments about the Marmot Atom +40. I like how it is light and a great summer bag but could be a great winter bag with a fleece insert and maybe where some long john's to bed or something like that. Please give me your opinion.

Johnny Thunder
03-12-2008, 14:26
I have one and could wear all my winter clothing AND a liner of some sort and I know it wouldn't get me down to 20 degrees comfortably. Be careful.

Appalachian Tater
03-12-2008, 14:31
It's a great summer bag, especially the new model with a full zipper, but it's not a winter bag. It is even sewn-through instead of having baffles. If you want to try it as a winter bag, experiment in your back yard so you can go inside if you get cold.

Rcarver
03-12-2008, 14:38
Marmot makes great bags. But for the same weight as the atom, you can go with the western mountaineering summerlite and it is a 32 degree bag. I have one and love it.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
03-12-2008, 22:25
Does anyone own or have comments about the Marmot Atom +40. I like how it is light and a great summer bag but could be a great winter bag with a fleece insert and maybe where some long john's to bed or something like that. Please give me your opinion.

Since I tend to "sleep warm," my Atom has served me well even down to 30 degrees. My biggest complaint is that it doesn't have quite enough room around my chest and it "stays with me" if I move during the night. I haven't yet tried it with a liner or insert, but that might be a good idea to try some evening soon before the Spring temperatures get here.

Keep us posted.

Tinker
03-12-2008, 22:31
Using a sewn-through bag in the winter, you're likely to wake up looking like a candy cane, with stripes where the cold air got through. Now, you might be able to use the Atom as a liner bag inside another bag to get you into winter temps. For best results using two bags, make sure that the outer bag does not compress the insulation in the inner bag.

tucker0104
03-13-2008, 10:28
I am trying to get away with only buying one bag for the summer and the winter. So what I was thinking is I could get a +20 and then make sure it is a full zip so I can open it up if I get hot or use a liner and just lay on it. What bag would you recommend?

Rcarver
03-13-2008, 12:02
The western mountaineering ultralite. I went with the overfill. Adds 2 ounces, but will make the bag a degree or two warmer. Great bag at 1 lb 14 oz for a size long.