PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag for a big guy?

KevinAce
03-12-2008, 15:44
I know my sleeping bag is much heavier than it needs to be. It's a Coleman Colossal and weighs in at about 6 pounds. I'm 6'2 and 330 pounds. I attempted to fit into a "mummy" style bag and it was a joke - damn thing made it half way up my chest. Any suggestions for warmth + lightweight for a guy my size would be greatly appreciative. I prefer it to be fairly cold weather (rated at least as low as 10-15 degrees).

http://www.kevinwimer.com/pics/hiking/kevin.jpg

Tinker
03-12-2008, 15:49
Have someone measure your girth around your chest with your arms at your sides. Add 10 inches to a foot. This will give you a guideline as to what you need for a bag. Then find out what's on the market.

Tinker
03-12-2008, 15:51
Sorry, Kevin. I meant to say to measure around your chest and arms together.

mudhead
03-12-2008, 16:22
See if you have a Big Agnes dealer in the area. Go crawl in one.

Some brands have "expander" sections that zip in.

Good luck.

2XL
03-12-2008, 16:29
Marmot sawtooth X-wide I think thats the name, check out the Marmot site
Campmor 0 degree rectangular long weighs 4lbs

I use a 20 degree campmor down rectangular weighs in at 2lbs 10 ounce

LIhikers
03-12-2008, 17:09
You might consider a down quilt .

Tobit
03-12-2008, 17:12
I'd have to agree with the quilt. I'm a very big guy as well and made the switch last year. I now love quilts and can't ever see going back to a bag.

Toolshed
03-12-2008, 18:12
Big Guy here - I have both a brand new Marmot Sawtooth X-Wide and a brand new Mont Bell Super Stetch Down hugger #3 (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm/MTB453)

I can tell you I like the Sawtooth, But absolutely LOVE the MontBell. In fact, if you decide to get a Marmot SawTooth, I'd might be willing to part with mine!!!!

Almost There
03-12-2008, 18:13
montbell superstretch ultra light long, I'm 6ft, 260ish I have a 50 inch chest, plenty of room. If that doesn't work, Big Agnes, or quilt it buddy! Unfortunately gear makers don't like to keep us bigger guys in mind when they make gear.

Seeker
03-12-2008, 19:01
you might also talk to the folks at western mountaineering, feathered friends, or marmot, and see what they could do in the way of custom work. also, for the group, if i'm missing any custom gear makers that do that kind of work, chime in...

2XL
03-12-2008, 19:07
If you consider a quilt, check out Jacks R Better. I use one while I hang in my hammock.

KevinAce
03-12-2008, 19:18
montbell superstretch ultra light long, I'm 6ft, 260ish I have a 50 inch chest, plenty of room. If that doesn't work, Big Agnes, or quilt it buddy! Unfortunately gear makers don't like to keep us bigger guys in mind when they make gear.They sure don't. I'll check out the Marmot SawTooth and the Super Stretch Down Hugger.

I just measured myself and I'm about 62" across the chest (around my arms as well) and 55" around my hips. Are 70" bags enough (an extra 8" to spare)? What does 53.2"- 70.9" mean? 53" at the part where it starts to widen and 70" at the widest part?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Tobit
03-12-2008, 19:20
If you consider a quilt, check out Jacks R Better. I use one while I hang in my hammock.

JRB does have three models of LARGE size specific quilts but they donut go as low as the OP is looking for.

For what the OP is looking for, I'd recommend a Nunatak Arc Expeditionist (http://nunatakusa.com/site07/arc_products/arc_expedition.htm). It's a little on the expensive side but a really nice quilt.

2XL
03-12-2008, 19:27
JRB does have three models of LARGE size specific quilts but they donut go as low as the OP is looking for.

For what the OP is looking for, I'd recommend a Nunatak Arc Expeditionist (http://nunatakusa.com/site07/arc_products/arc_expedition.htm). It's a little on the expensive side but a really nice quilt.

True. I was thinking of the different sleeping systems I use and
started to think about spring and summer being right around the corner. KevinAce won't need a bag with those temp ratings.

Almost There
03-12-2008, 19:43
They sure don't. I'll check out the Marmot SawTooth and the Super Stretch Down Hugger.

I just measured myself and I'm about 62" across the chest (around my arms as well) and 55" around my hips. Are 70" bags enough (an extra 8" to spare)? What does 53.2"- 70.9" mean? 53" at the part where it starts to widen and 70" at the widest part?

Find an outfitter who carries these and go climb in and see how it works...The bag stretches out to 70inches, should be enough, but your comfort is your decision...the range is because the bag stretches.

Del Q
03-12-2008, 23:25
Big Agnes, maybe Mont Bell, sad to say, work on losing the weight of your pack. Yup, drop 40 pounds in the next 1-2 years, take it slow, as you build muscle and lose weight, you will feel super. Been there, done that! You are young, time can be on your side. Add your current pack to what you weigh, that is a lot of poundage and impact with every step. Big Agnes are pretty light, great bags, roomy.

envirodiver
03-13-2008, 00:52
I friend of mine who is a large guy swears by the down quilts. Check with the Jacks or Better website. The hammock folks know them very well.

rpenczek
03-13-2008, 07:38
I posted up on your other thread, I echo Big Agnes and the Marmot Sawtooth (down) or the Marmot Trestlets (syn). Big Agnes Bags are 72" around at the shoulders (you can add another 8" with a Weggie) and the Marmot's are 70" at the shoulders.

Most mummy bags on the market are about 60-64" at the shoulders (way to small for American sized folks LOL).

The Big J
03-13-2008, 10:42
I'm 6"1' 270 and I use a Big Agnes Zirkle 20 long degree bag. It fits well and keeps me warm. I like the built in pad sleeve. I had the regular size for a year, but it felt to short. When I called Big Agnes and asked if I could exchange for the long they said no problem. They also make a bag Expander if you need more room. There #8 bar expander fits my Marmot pounder 40 degree bag also.

Tobit
03-13-2008, 12:08
I'm 6"1' 270 and I use a Big Agnes Zirkle 20 long degree bag. It fits well and keeps me warm.

Good info for big guys like us. However, do you sleep on your side or your back?

The Big J
03-13-2008, 12:17
Usually I sleep on my side. Because of this I need a high pillow for my broad shoulders. I just found an inflatable pillow at Walmart that is light with a fleece like coverin for like 5 bucks. I think it will work well, but have not tried it. Also being a big guy my hip tends to hurt and go numb when sleeping on my side. For this i read to use a extra piece of blue foam to add to your pad, or carr one of those foam gardening pads, for kneeling while doing garden work. It can also be used for a sit pad during the day and is very light. again just bought on but have not tried it. I love hiking, but being a big guy can make somethings a little tougher.

paulbrown137
03-13-2008, 19:35
Western Mountaineering Ponderosa 6'6". I'm 5'9 and about 220 and love my 6 footer. I had a Big Agnes mystic with a supposed 70" of girth. But the 67" of the Pondo feels much more roomy. Sticking that bag inside of the Big Agnes reduces its girth more than many let on. They are still bigger than most bags though.

I fit perfect in a Marmot Hydrogen Long with 64" of girth on the shoulders, but when i'm going into colder weather i take the pondo. I sleep on my tummy or side mostly so the hoodless design doesn't cause me any problems. Plenty of room to thrash around. I'm a bit small so i probably loose some efficiency due to the extra space to heat. luckily this thing is packed with down and has 6-7" of loft. works as an additional comforter on our cal king bed when the power goes out too :)

paulbrown137
03-13-2008, 19:36
hmm. meant to say sticking that "pad" in the Big Agnes, not "bag". in case you were confused

Tobit
03-13-2008, 20:10
Western Mountaineering Ponderosa 6'6". I'm 5'9 and about 220 and love my 6 footer.

Western Mountaineering does make nice stuff. The Bristlecone MF (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=40) looks like a really nice winter bag for us big guys. 69" Girth and rated to -10F.. it is a bit on the heavy side though at 4lbs 2oz. but in the winter you donut mind the weight so much if you are comfy at night.

paulbrown137
03-14-2008, 03:32
the nice thing about the ponderosa, bristlecone and other semi-rectangular bags is there is plenty of room in the feet and hips as well as across the shoulders. I can sleep on my belly with one knee up and out and have plenty of room. also, the thing i noticed was the total weight to fill weight ratio. 2lbs 9 oz. but 1lb 11 ozs of that is down.

EMAN
03-14-2008, 11:15
Kevin-
When I first start using the BA bags (a Horse Thief), I was 6'1", 300 lbs +. I had to buy one of the expanders to get the room I needed. I now have a Zirkel 20 degree. On my last trip, the zipper on the expander broke and BA exchanged it for a brand new one.
I have lost about 50 lbs and I no longer need the expander. If you go the BA route and still need an expander let me know and we'll work something out on it.

mudhead
03-14-2008, 11:43
Congrats on dumping the excess. Damn fine work.

The Big J
03-14-2008, 12:12
Kevin-
When I first start using the BA bags (a Horse Thief), I was 6'1", 300 lbs +. I had to buy one of the expanders to get the room I needed. I now have a Zirkel 20 degree. On my last trip, the zipper on the expander broke and BA exchanged it for a brand new one.
I have lost about 50 lbs and I no longer need the expander. If you go the BA route and still need an expander let me know and we'll work something out on it.

I am starting to think that a hoodless bag would be better for us side sleepers. I have the zirkel and love it. Are you a side sleeper? Do you find it more comfortable to use the hoodless bag if you are.

norman55
03-14-2008, 12:40
I'm 6'-3" and about 280. I use a North Face Goliath for cold wether and +32 the Big Boy (it's been a while on the ligter bag so the name may be wrong). I got the lighter bag first and was happy wit it so when it can time for a cooler wether bag I went back to the well. Both seem to be built to same internal deminsion.

I've been told that I sleep all over the tent (but I haven't noticed). I just seem to drag the bag around with me so it hasn't been a problem.

KevinAce
03-14-2008, 18:13
I think I'm going to go with the Big Agnes Zirkel SL Long (http://www.backcountryedge.com/big_agnes-zirkel-08.aspx). I noticed one of the features of this bag is a sleeve to hold a sleeping pad. How important is a sleeping pad? Is it worth ~22 oz in weight? I was looking at getting this one as well (I assume it'll work well with the BA long: http://www.rei.com/product/707993?

Almost There
03-14-2008, 19:56
With Big Agnes...you must have the sleeping pad because there is no fill in the back of the bag, the sleeping pad takes care of this!

The Big J
03-14-2008, 20:31
I think I'm going to go with the Big Agnes Zirkel SL Long (http://www.backcountryedge.com/big_agnes-zirkel-08.aspx). I noticed one of the features of this bag is a sleeve to hold a sleeping pad. How important is a sleeping pad? Is it worth ~22 oz in weight? I was looking at getting this one as well (I assume it'll work well with the BA long: http://www.rei.com/product/707993?

Yes you need the sleeping pad especially with the big agnes. Being big we have a lot of weight on a hard ground. I find the more cushion the better. I tried the ridge rest no good. I tries the z-rest in attempt to go lighter not wide enough and slept like. I have a self-inflatable and it does the job. When I have not been hiking for a while and going for a weekend trip I bring half of my ridge rest for a little extra comfort. Once I am hiking for 3 or more days your body will acclamate to just the self-inflating. I am going to Rei tomorrow to buy the same pad you posted a link to. The most important thing for me is a good night sleep.

KevinAce
03-15-2008, 17:09
I just ordered the Big Agnes Zirkel Long with a pad for it. Hopefully it fits me ok. If not, I'll contact you guys above about maybe buying an expander from you.

Thanks again everyone for all of your help! You guys rule!