PDA

View Full Version : k mart grease pot

bustedchucks
03-12-2008, 16:25
What is this K Mart grease pot i hear people refer to? I tried searching on Kmart.com but didnt come up with anything.
capacity? weight? and a link if possible would be great.

cheers

FanaticFringer
03-12-2008, 16:29
Get the Wallyworld grease pot instead from here www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Cookware.html

bustedchucks
03-12-2008, 16:51
thank you, sir

RadioFreq
03-12-2008, 16:55
The K-Mart greasepot has become a highly coveted item amongst some backpackers as it is no longer available in their stores.

Appalachian Tater
03-12-2008, 16:58
It's the Wal-Mart grease pot that is no longer available. The lip rolled in on that one. The K-Mart grease pot is still available, although it keeps getting more expensive. It is substantially identical to the Wal-mart pot except the lip is rolled out, which is more sanitary. It can usually be found in with the kitchen gadgets, not with the cookware. Sometimes a large ACE Hardware stocks them.

http://www.thebackpacker.com/pictures/users/stovestomper/koq95sn3/289hy5eif.jpg

http://www.thebackpacker.com/pictures/users/stovestomper/koq95sn3/289hy5eif.jpg

mkmangold
03-12-2008, 17:01
Well well well! I have been looking in the automotive section.

RadioFreq
03-12-2008, 17:04
The K-Mart greasepot has become a highly coveted item amongst some backpackers as it is no longer available in their stores.

Got my Marts mixed up. :eek:

mrc237
03-12-2008, 17:51
[QUOTE=Appalachian Tater;565540]It's the Wal-Mart grease pot that is no longer available. The lip rolled in on that one. The K-Mart grease pot is still available, although it keeps getting more expensive. It is substantially identical to the Wal-mart pot except the lip is rolled out, which is more sanitary. It can usually be found in with the kitchen gadgets, not with the cookware. Sometimes a large ACE Hardware stocks them.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: While browsing around a Dollar Store (I think?) I was able to pick up a pot similar to this called an oil filter pot. It has a loop handle and under the lid is a perforated insert. For a buck. Gonna try making coffee with it. Will report back!

Appalachian Tater
03-12-2008, 18:29
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: While browsing around a Dollar Store (I think?) I was able to pick up a pot similar to this called an oil filter pot. It has a loop handle and under the lid is a perforated insert. For a buck. Gonna try making coffee with it. Will report back!Sounds like the same thing--you just don't see the strainer in this picture. It's basically made for saving bacon grease to cook with. The strainer removes bits of animal flesh from the fat.

Fly Rod
03-12-2008, 18:48
My K-pot took only a few days to arrive. His customer service is awesome! I highly recomend End-2-End. Get yer pot there.:)

sheepdog
03-12-2008, 18:52
Get yer pot there.:)

Uh oh......:D

aaroniguana
03-12-2008, 19:55
I have lots of them, bought them before the price went above $5. When they hit $20, I'll sell big.

And the fools wonder how I lost so much on Prodigy in the 90s...

travis71
03-12-2008, 21:07
lol Aaron!

Overnighter in training here... are these pots what you all use to cook all your trail meals in? Or do you use the mucho dinero camp cookware stuff?

mkmangold
03-12-2008, 21:12
What's "Prodigy?"

mkmangold
03-12-2008, 21:14
Oh, hey Travis: for months I thought these things held grease to be used for cars and bikes and such. I couldn't figure out how these guys could get the oily smell out of the pot!

travis71
03-12-2008, 21:21
hehe, well, I am looking at stoves & cookware atm, & am about to purchase some. I just dont know what to get. I was considering one of Zelphs starlytes & some cheap light pot.... So was wanting to clarify if this thing is used for all of the users trail meals, or just certain applications.

Appalachian Tater
03-12-2008, 21:28
What's "Prodigy?"It was an online service provider in the early days of the public internet.

partinj
03-17-2008, 12:39
The kmart where i live still has greese pots they are $8.49 when up from when i got mine it was $6.49. They are 1.5 liters will hold most meal you can cook on the AT.

aaroniguana
03-17-2008, 13:17
lol Aaron!

Overnighter in training here... are these pots what you all use to cook all your trail meals in? Or do you use the mucho dinero camp cookware stuff?

I use a KMart grease pot, a Coleman F1 canister stove (occasionally a gram weenie style alcohol stove), a plastic cup from the old style scout messkit and a plastic spoon. I think my entire messkit including lighter cost $26 and weighs 12 ounces? Id have to check my gearlist but that's about right.

I sometimes still look at expensive cookwear but mine works for me and it allowed me to spend money on important things like a better pack, rain gear, a down bag (soon I hope) etc.

Bob S
03-17-2008, 13:42
How do you use it backpacking & why, if it just for a cooking pan, why is it any better then a pan made for backpacking?

wpbucher
03-17-2008, 13:50
When making a pot cozy for KMart Grease Pot (or any other)...is it best to make it snug....or provide a bit of an air gap (3/16 inch) between the pot and the cozy as a dead air space? I will size the cozy lid to fit snug over the bottom part of cozy.

quasarr
03-17-2008, 14:01
How do you use it backpacking & why, if it just for a cooking pan, why is it any better then a pan made for backpacking?

Just drop in some pasta or whatever you're making for dinner and boil some water. Anything more than that is overkill for backpacking, IMO. It's better than the competition because it's an ounce or two lighter and costs $40 less :banana

Titanium cookware is a bunch of hype and I don't buy it. They just want you to spend all your money. Aluminum is lighter! Why in the world would you use titanium instead? Sure it's stronger, but what are you doing to your cookpot that it needs strength?? :confused:

Also I was able to find a grease pot for $6.50 at my local K-Mart back in November. I think they still have them. I hear they're discontinuing it, but it's worth it to check in case your area store still has them!!

aaroniguana
03-17-2008, 14:12
What quasarr said. Plus Titanium sheds heat faster than aluminum. I use the pot to cook in, eat from, boil water in, etc.

sheepdog
03-17-2008, 14:21
If you loan out equipment it is great also. Supercat stove $0.51 Grease pot $6.50. total $7.01 if it doesn't come back ...no big deal.

Montego
03-17-2008, 14:34

Cost! IMO an expensive (Titanium) pot isn't going to make you a better backpacker, prevent injury, or even save your life in extreme conditions any better than an inexpensive pot (aluminum). Personally, I'd rather spend the money on more important gear such as a better sleeping bag or better food for the trail.

Of course, if money is not an issue or the most important thing to you is to just 'look cool' then, hey, go for it :D

Bob S
03-17-2008, 15:04
I don’t use Titanium, probably never will. I use an older (15 to 20-year old) Coleman stainless cook set. I also have a GSI mess kit that’s a few years old. These work well, I like the stainless steel the most. It doesn’t weight much and is easy to clean. I expect it to outlast me.

highway
03-17-2008, 15:08
The soft aluminum grease pot is not designed for cooking. Some say it's softness might cause it to leach away the soft aluminum of the pot into the food when heated. Some say that the accumulated aluminum in one's body may lead to early onset Alzheimer's. Me, I threw out all my aluminum pots...just in case!

Passionphish
03-17-2008, 15:18

Because it is lighter and cheaper! Thats why!

Montego
03-17-2008, 15:21
The soft aluminum grease pot is not designed for cooking. Some say it's softness might cause it to leach away the soft aluminum of the pot into the food when heated. Some say that the accumulated aluminum in one's body may lead to early onset Alzheimer's. Me, I threw out all my aluminum pots...just in case!

Ah, so that's what happened to me. Always blamed it on the lead gettin' leached out of the crystal glasses by the wine :D

highway
03-17-2008, 15:22
Because it is lighter and cheaper! Thats why!
And leaches away the soft aluminum from the pot to the meal cooked within it. I'll stick with titanium, thanks!

Bob S
03-17-2008, 15:22
I use the stainless steel because it’s easy to clean up and I already have it. When I bought my GSI Bugaboo it was a compromise, I wanted the GSI stainless steel set and could not find it at the time. Gander Mountain had the Bugaboo set, it’s aluminum but it has a Teflon coating. I was concerned about the Teflon lasting, but it’s been 5-years and it’s holding up well. Alzheimer's is not a big concern, but when it cost almost nothing why not avoid aluminum just incase?

I don’t see the big deal with the grease pot when there is so much other camping cookware made that have handles on them. Most of it’s not expensive.

Passionphish
03-17-2008, 15:25
On another note, and becuase I can't find the edit button....

I would love to find a thin brass version of the grease pot. Cheaper than titanium, no aluminum danger, better/smoother heat transfer and only a little weight increase. But till then, and I know I am going to get yeld at, I will stick to my way too expensive titanium.
No aluminum leeching, very durable (I'm a bull in a china shop), and it cools fast. That way I can pack it faster! I don't eat in camp, always an hour out of or an hour before camp.

aaroniguana
03-17-2008, 15:27

This was disproven as junk science a few years back. Go into any restaurant and look at their cookpots. Mostly spun aluminum. Have been for 20 years. I use Calphalon at home. It has been THEORIZED that Alzheimers is caused by a buildup of aluminum plaque in the brain. But dietary consumption of aluminum has absolutely no bearing on the condition. It's like aspartame causing cancer. If you drink 12 cases of Diet Pepsi per day for 20 years, yeah, you're likely to get some malignancy. Of course the same couldbe said for poptarts.

Add this to the fact that hikers have been using the aluminum grease pot for 20 years, I don't think you'll find more than three or four with dementia (no names, please!).

Passionphish
03-17-2008, 15:29
Yeah but when it (Alzheimers) runs in the family you avoid it at all cost and in any way possible.

aaroniguana
03-17-2008, 15:30
Can't run from genetics.

Passionphish
03-17-2008, 15:31
Gonna Try heheheheheheheeh!!!!

UCONNMike
03-17-2008, 15:52
I found 3 at a k mart about a year ago, I tested it out with a cat food can stove, and it was terrible, it didn't retain heat well, and took much longer to boil water with than a titanium pot, I found myself having to use a double or triple dose of fuel in order to bring two cups of water to a boil. yea they are cheap and in a pinch provide a good ultra lite option, but I can't imagine it being a good permanent solution.

Bob S
03-17-2008, 16:02
There is a flee market close to me, you can go there almost any weekend and find camping cook sets for $2.00 or $3.00. I bought a spare stainless steel Boy Scout style mess kit $3.00, it looks like new. No need to buy a grease pot when other real camping cook sets are easy to find. Just use part of one of these sets and you have a light weight Stainless Steel cooking system.

I also see this all the time at garage sales for almost nothing (in the summer time, not too many garage sales in the winter.)

quasarr
03-17-2008, 17:16
I found 3 at a k mart about a year ago, I tested it out with a cat food can stove, and it was terrible, it didn't retain heat well, and took much longer to boil water with than a titanium pot, I found myself having to use a double or triple dose of fuel in order to bring two cups of water to a boil. yea they are cheap and in a pinch provide a good ultra lite option, but I can't imagine it being a good permanent solution.

I don't understand! :-?

As others have said, aluminum retains heat better than titanium. Like how passionphish said the Ti pot cools down faster after use. I have used both the pepsi can and supercat stoves with my grease pot and can boil a pint with just over 1/2 oz fuel. Maybe there was something else that made your results with the 2 pots different??

aaroniguana
03-17-2008, 17:22
Different people get different results under different conditions. Maybe his stove wasn't burning at capacity. Impossible to say. I know what works for me. I stick with my grease pot.

envirodiver
03-17-2008, 18:16
And the fools wonder how I lost so much on Prodigy in the 90s...

Back in the early 90s I had to choose VHS or Beta. Course I chose Beta.

Montego
03-17-2008, 18:18
Back in the early 90s I had to choose VHS or Beta. Course I chose Beta.

Awww I'm sorry - but now for the next question: Mary Anne or Ginger? :D:banana

envirodiver
03-17-2008, 18:23
Easy...Mary Anne. She was hot and didn't seem nearly as high maintenance as Ginger. Wouldn't surprise me if Mary Anne was a backpacker, then she would be perfect.

Montego
03-17-2008, 18:58
Easy...Mary Anne. She was hot and didn't seem nearly as high maintenance as Ginger. Wouldn't surprise me if Mary Anne was a backpacker, then she would be perfect.

YOU WON!!! An all expense trip with http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/M/2Q/TN/3E/jN/wY/TZ/tF/kX/nB/na/B5/lM/B5/FN/zc/TM/4A/DN/5M/TM/B5/VM._CR0,0,305,305_SS100_.jpg (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1500682240/tt0057751) to any uninhibited island of your choice.

FINE PRINT: Just send your name and address plus $10,000. in a self-addressed stamp envelope to.............:D

aaroniguana
03-17-2008, 19:01
You do realize that Maryann was busted for driving while under the influence and possession of marijuana last week, right?

She's still my kinda gal...

Montego
03-17-2008, 19:07
You do realize that Maryann was busted for driving while under the influence and possession of marijuana last week, right?

She's still my kinda gal...

A few here would probably agree those things are, well........ah........shall we just say technicalities that can be.......ah........forgiven considering :-?:D

aaroniguana
03-17-2008, 19:12
Didn't I already say that? ;)

mkmangold
03-18-2008, 01:56
1. If aluminum is not so bad, how come I was chastised in these very fora for declaring that I boil water in an "Energy" can over a Vargo Triad?
2. Mary Ann was busted last Fall for possesion of marijuana. It just came out in public last week ("Mary Ann does Mary Jane")
3. I like the taste of ginger
4. I can't remember my last point

aaroniguana
03-18-2008, 08:08
You were probably chastised for using a triad. :)

But you are correct, she was sentenced last month.

partinj
03-18-2008, 12:17
Hi i had a Titanium 1.5 liter pot the thing with titanium is it don't heat even and will not hold hold heat as long as the greese pot from kmart. I did a test with both pots the greese pot boil water in 2 min and stay hot for 5min in 40 deg. the titanium boil water in 3 min stay hot for 3 1/2 min.
Also the kmart greese is black so that help with the boil and keeping the heat.

Cerridwen
03-18-2008, 23:15
I used a grease pot last year and I loved it! Just went to Kmart today and picked up the last two on the shelf (last year's got so dinged I couldn't get the lid off and on easy) A hiker named Rebel Yell got me in on it!

Newb
03-19-2008, 10:18
It was an online service provider in the early days of the public internet.

omg...I once had a 300 dollar bill from CompuServe. Those bastards. I want to resurrect that company just so I can bitch-slap them.

sherco
03-19-2008, 10:55
I am certain aluminum containers cause alzheimers. I drink beer from aluminum cans and after 10-12 I can't remember where I left my car and I tend to wet my pants.

Bob S
03-19-2008, 11:36
I am certain aluminum containers cause alzheimers. I drink beer from aluminum cans and after 10-12 I can't remember where I left my car and I tend to wet my pants.

LOL that's funny

valleyfire
03-19-2008, 22:27
I have the same question Bob S. I've been wondering what is special about this grease pot and if I need to get one.

Bob S
03-19-2008, 23:02
Nothing, It’s just the “In thing” right now.

Appalachian Tater
03-19-2008, 23:18
I think the reason people like it is because of the size and relatively low price.

Bob S
03-19-2008, 23:29
I have nothing against them (the grease pot) and a person can cook anyway they want. But in business dealings I have had and also in personal life the lowest price is seldom a good value. I fine the price shopper mentality a poor way to shop for something.

Appalachian Tater
03-19-2008, 23:33
I love and recommend my MSR Titan kettle! It is overpriced, however.

Bob S
03-19-2008, 23:52
I love and recommend my MSR Titan kettle! It is overpriced, however.

It’s only overpriced if you don’t find value in it. I have lots of stuff (a lot of it I don’t really need, but like anyway. I’m a hopeless gearaholic.) and a lot of it is somewhat higher priced then some people would be willing to pay, but I find that it holds up very well and fills a need well. So is it really over priced? I don’t think so.

My Coleman solo Stainless steel cook set is a good example. It’s at least 15-years old, maybe 20-years old. It’s been so long I can’t remember exactly when I bought it. It still works like it did when it was new, all the handles that were spot-welded on still are attached, it’s not dented at all and No plastic on it to melt or get old and brittle. It was not a low prices aluminum set, it’s a high quality stainless steel set. I fully expect my Son to be using it when I’m gone.

Appalachian Tater
03-19-2008, 23:56
Cast iron is the way to go. There are some cast iron pans in my family for over 100 years. Just not good for hiking.

Bob S
03-20-2008, 00:06
While cast iron is durable and my mom has some that was her mothers and it’s still going strong. It’s kinda heavy for backpacking.

My brother has what has to be one of the biggest cast iron skillets ever, its 24-inches around. He got it for use with his church group, they do several campouts a year and he makes scrambled eggs & omelets in it. You can easily put 3-doz eggs in it.

valleyfire
03-20-2008, 11:27
So is wal-mart or k-mart better to get one from

Johnny Swank
03-20-2008, 12:40
The Kmart one has the lip that curves Outward from the inside. That's the important thing, otherwise food and crud hangs up in there and gets nasty.

mkmangold
03-20-2008, 21:50
omg...I once had a 300 dollar bill from CompuServe. Those bastards. I want to resurrect that company just so I can bitch-slap them.
I didn't know they made $300 bills.

Appalachian Tater
03-20-2008, 22:01
So is wal-mart or k-mart better to get one fromWal-Mart doesn't have them any longer, so Kmart is the better place to get one.

Cabin Fever
04-19-2008, 13:05
Let it be known that I have been converted to the Kmart grease pot. I would rather buy one of these a year than buy a $50 MSR or Snow Peak product. This thing is light as a feather and fits my MSR stove, fuel, spork, and lighter. It's like the redneck jet boil. My only suggestion is to have a device to hold the pot with like multi tool pliers. Forget the MSR pot tool if you have pliers on your multi tool.

88BlueGT
04-20-2008, 23:33
I was looking into getting a grease pot for my girlfriend and I ended up liking it alot for myself. I just bought a GSI set for myself though :( Looks like a great buy.

KnowledgeEngine
04-21-2008, 00:39
I've got a easy question for all these people who claim aluminum is so bad.

Do you
..A)Use deodorant/anti-prespirant (can be over 50% Al by volume, and your armpits are in the top 5 most absorbant non-mucus tissue on your body)
..B)Carefully screen your food both "raw" ingridents and prepared foods for aluminum deriviates? By weight this is most peoples largest intake, being used as preservaties.
..C)Drink water from your facuet? Most municipalites use aluminum sulphate in making your drinking water drinkable. It makes up to 5% of most peoples intake.

A brief list of other things you may or may not use: Toothpaste, cosmetics , shampoo, stypic pens, antacids, prescription drugs, chewing gum, green and black tea, most soy based food products, pre-ground coffee, cigarettes......there are more but I'll stop here.

Aluminum is the most abundant metal on earth. You cannot avoid intaking massive quanitities of it in daily life, my point being is what you get from aluminum cookware makes up a fraction of 1% of all of it you absorb over your lifetime. People using antacids can intake 5 grams a day in some cases. Have you ever had a camping pot lose 5 grams of weight? Don't we wish!

If you chose to pay the premium it is your choice. I just wanted to impart some impartial facts on what all else contains it. I will disclose that I own a MSR Titan Kettle. I got it on clearance, pocket rocket + titan kettle + discount cost me $40, how could I turn down that deal? No more than the grease pot. But the chemical composition had nothing to do with it. I mainly got it for cost, and because my Al cookware has gotten dinged and dented in my pack before. This one has not...so far.

KnowledgeEngine
04-22-2008, 01:03
just a test to see if messages will automerge on this forum

88BlueGT
04-23-2008, 17:05
:confused: huh????

Nomad94
04-24-2008, 08:28
My local Kmart has these in the summer/barbecue section. Whole pile of them- as well as there being one or two over in cooking gadgets.

I've been messing with thicker (but 'cheap') aluminum pots with non-stick coatings, easier to clean. Still a toss up-- I liked my old wally grease pot, though the turned out lip of the kmart version is definitely an improvement for the use. I just miss GREASE being embossed on the side of the pot.

chili36
04-24-2008, 17:42
I actually found it to be too big and went to a light weight "cup" with a lid (homemade from flashing). It is the perfect diameter to hold my stove, pot stand (construction mesh), wind screen, folding plastic cup (from Dicks) and a lighter. I don't think it hold much more than two cups of water, but on solo hikes, I found I rarely want to boil any more than that at a time anyway.

bisonkron
05-20-2014, 11:47
this grease pot is not food safe. the metal is too thin.

Rocket Jones
05-20-2014, 11:56

By that logic, aluminum foil isn't safe either.

jeffmeh
05-20-2014, 13:17

I understand that it is very unhealthy for trolls.

Odd Man Out
05-20-2014, 14:03
How much problem do Grease Pot users have with food sticking? Would an anodized Al pot be better in this regard? Or are you only using the Grease Pot for boiling water?

bobgessner57
05-20-2014, 22:20
How much problem do Grease Pot users have with food sticking? Would an anodized Al pot be better in this regard? Or are you only using the Grease Pot for boiling water?

No problem. I use an alcohol stove and cook liptons or home dehydrated meals in the pot. I put enough alcohol in the stove to bring the meal to a boil then put the pot in a homemade cozy for ten - fifteen minutes. The food is usually pretty saucy at the point that the stove goes out and thickens up in the cozy. The cozy is made from an old thin ensolite sleeping pad and some metal tape. It protects the pot from dings in the pack and keeps my pack clean as I also sometimes cook on a fire and don't bother to clean the outside of the pot.

On the rare occasions where there is a tiny bit of scorch in the bottom of the pot or some sort of crusty cheese residue I soak the pot in water for a few minutes then scrape the crud with my spoon or a finger. I seldom need to use soap and often will use a minimal amount of water to clean the pot then drink the pot likker. It is so easy to clean that I don't carry a scrub pad and often cook my freezer bag meals in it rather than in the bag because I am not fully comfortable with the effects of heat on plastic.

Starchild
05-20-2014, 23:57

If cooking with Alcohol fuel it should not be a large issue as that flame temp is pretty low, I believe Esbit is a bit higher but still on the lower side. Isobutaine could cause more of a issue, and white gas well consider a new pot per meal.

Yes anodizing would help, and I believe you can do this at home (not sure just remember seeing the process), and yes this pot was never intended to cook in. Is it a health risk? - perhaps but what is not and for the causal backpacker it does not seem to pose a sustained risk.

To me the greatest downfall is I just could not get over the word 'GREASE' stamped on the lid, it made it unappetizing to use. I tryed to hammer it out, tape it over and finally blowtorching it out (which created a hole).