PDA

View Full Version : My big four!

corialice81
03-12-2008, 16:43
My total weight for my big four is 6.6 lbs!!!!

tent - lunar solo by six moon designs 26.5 oz
pad - big agnes insulated air core (66 in length) 22 oz
bag - mountain hardwear phantom 32 deg women's reg 24 oz
pack - granite gear vapor ki 34 oz

I'll get the rest of my gear together this week or weekend and post it for peer review ;).

Just 5 weeks away! :banana

corialice81
03-16-2008, 21:34
Okay, pulled out my clothes today and decided on taking the following:

1 capilene 2 long sleeve shirt
1 capilene 2 thermal bottoms
1 underarmour t-shirt
1 adidas short
1 north face zip pant/short
1 synthetic bra
1 synthetic underwear
2 pair socks
*these items weighed in at 2.5 lbs and do not include the clothes I'll be wearing on game day.

I am also going to bring frogg togg rain suite (top and bottom), which weighed in at about 1 lb

Finally, since I'm leaving april 19 and the possiblity of cold weather may still exist in the smokies, I'm carrying a mont bell UL down jacket.

Oh, my kitchen (caldera cone) weighs in at 10 oz without fuel.

So, I still have to consider my first aid kit, miscellaneous items, food and water left.

Any suggestions so far?

KG4FAM
03-16-2008, 22:46
zip off pants/shorts have the shorts that would be needed and the frogg toggs have your extra pants for laundry so you could ditch the extra adidas shorts.

corialice81
04-03-2008, 18:06
Okay got my gear list good to go...any and all comments/suggestions/criticisms will be taken with an open mind and an advanced "thank you". 16 days and counting...

BIG FOUR

o TENT – SIX MOONS DESIGNS
o FOOTPRINT – TYVEK
o STAKES – 6 EASTON STAKES
o SLEEPING BAG – 32 MTN HARDWEAR
o SLEEPING PAD – BIG AGNES (W/REPAIR KIT)
o PACK – GRANITE GEAR VAPOR KI

CLOTHES

o DOWN JACKET – MONTBELL (PACK)
o SOCKS – 3 PAIR TOTAL (PACK 2)
o ZIP SHORT/PANT – NORTH FACE (PACK)
o THERMAL BOTTOM (PACK)
o THERMAL TOP (PACK)
o T-SHIRT (2 UNDERARMOUR) (PACK 1)
o BRA (2 ADDIDAS) (PACK 1)
o UNDERWEAR (2 PANTAGONIA) (PACK 1)
o SHORT 2 - (ADIDAS) (PACK PANTAGONIA)
o RAIN JACKET – FROGG TOGG (PACK)
o RAIN PANTS – SIERRA DESIGNS (PACK)

SHOES

o GARMONT GORETEX LOW TOPS
o MTN HARDWEAR GAITERS (LOW RIDERS)
o CROCS
o TREKKING POLES

FIRST AID/ HYGIENE

o BODY GLIDE
o PATCHOULI (INSECT REPELLANT: CAN’T DO DEET)
o HAND SANITIZER
o DR. BRONNER’S SOAP
o MEDS: ADVIL, BENADRYL, TYLENOL PM
o DIVA CUP
o BANDAIDS
o ANTIBIODIC ONITMENT
o TOOTHPICKS
o TOOTHPASTE (TOM’S)
o TOOTHBRUSH
o WET WIPES
o CHAPSTICK (BURT’S)
o EMERGENCY NECKLACE (COMPASS/FIRE STARTER/WHISTLE)

RANDOM

o LEATHERMAN KNIFE
o PACK TOWEL
o AT BUFF HEADWEAR
o BEENIE – MTN HARDWEAR
o PACK COVER
o MASE
o EAR PLUGS
o APPALACHIAN PAGES (GUIDE BOOK)
o JOURNAL PAPER
o PEN OR PENCIL?

DELICATES

o CELL PHONE
o CHARGER FOR CELL PHONE
o SCANDISK MP3 PLAYER
o DIGITAL CAMERA
o CHARGER FOR DIGITAL CAMERA
o EXTRA BATTERY FOR CAMERA

WATER
o AQUAMIRA CHEMICALS
o WATER POUCH COLLECTOR
o WATER BOTTLE (GATORADE)

KITCHEN

o CLOTH POUCH
o 500 ML FUEL BOTTLE
o 2 CUP STOVE W/ LID
o 3 CUP ZIPLOCK CUP W/LID
o LONG HANDLE SPOON
o MATCHES
o LIGHTER
o WINDSCREEN
o ALCOHOL STOVE
o BEAR BAG (50 FT ROPE & 3 MICRO CARABINEERS)
o EXTRA ROPE?

FOOD

A-Train
04-03-2008, 18:18
you've got too many pant items.

If it were me, I'd hike in shorts and carry rain pants and long john bottoms, and eventually ditch the rain pants (or tights) for summer.

The convertible pants are unecessary, IMO

corialice81
04-03-2008, 19:31
Dropped the zip pants and a pair of shorts. Thanks A-train!

corialice81
04-03-2008, 19:31
I meant socks instead of shorts.

Heater
04-03-2008, 19:55
Dropped the zip pants and a pair of shorts. Thanks A-train!

It's not hike nekkid day yet! :eek:

Chatter
04-03-2008, 20:14
Corialice,

What is the total weight of all the items you listed earlier today?

Blissful
04-03-2008, 20:16
I think your 32 degree bag is a might cold for a mid April start. I'd go with 25 or bring a liner.
Leave shorts at home if taking convertible pants. (I liked mine)
Only need one bra
I think gaiters attribute to blisters, but that's me
Mace ? - but do undertand if you need to carry it.
Ziplock cup with lid - ? not sure what that is.
Does your camera use a battery and a charger - ? Don't need both or maybe bounce charger
Headlamp?
Gloves until May?
Platypus? One water bottle is not enough, esp in summer.
TP
Might want to have a few (guys turn your head) mini pads on hand, just in case.

Almost There
04-03-2008, 20:28
I'd take two socks, light weight is overrated if your feet get torn up from hiking in wet socks all the time, also nice to have dry socks in case you need to warm the feet at night. There's a reason why soldiers always have a clean, dry pair of socks when possible.

corialice81
04-03-2008, 20:28
Austexs - :P, Sorry about that typo...

Chatter - I'm going to put the pack on the scale tomorrow and I'll have a weight for you.

Blissful - Thanks for the heads up on the headlight (can't believe I forgot that). About the sleeping bag. I was planning on wearing all my clothes at night (down jacket, thermals, rain gear, etc) if it got cold. Also, I sleep cold, so I wouldn't mind a little chill. Really just one bra? Ziplock is used to protect my windscreen that goes along with my caldera cone. Camera uses charger, but I was thinking of bringing an extra battery so I won't miss the perfect shot. I was gonna use socks for gloves. I was gonna go with two bottles once it warmed up. Thanks!

Keep the comments coming that are really helping.

corialice81
04-03-2008, 20:30
Almost there - I was going to carry three pairs but I decided to go to two pairs.

Almost There
04-03-2008, 20:32
Almost there - I was going to carry three pairs but I decided to go to two pairs.

Makes sense!

corialice81
04-03-2008, 20:43
It happens every know and then (me making sense). Usually it occurs when I have to pay with cash.

Lone Wolf
04-03-2008, 20:45
My total weight for my big four is 6.6 lbs!!!!

tent - lunar solo by six moon designs 26.5 oz
pad - big agnes insulated air core (66 in length) 22 oz
bag - mountain hardwear phantom 32 deg women's reg 24 oz
pack - granite gear vapor ki 34 oz

I'll get the rest of my gear together this week or weekend and post it for peer review ;).

Just 5 weeks away! :banana

bear in mind, your mind will get you thru. not gear weights. don't focus on ozs, grams, etc.

corialice81
04-03-2008, 20:50
Yeah, at first I got carried away with weight, but now, my focus is no longer on weight as much but what it takes to make a successful thru hike. Mentally, I know I'll have some tough moments but bring it on.

Almost There
04-03-2008, 21:17
bear in mind, your mind will get you thru. not gear weights. don't focus on ozs, grams, etc.

Listen to this, have seen several people near Neel's Gap that have already suffered from some kind of form of hypothermia...they were carrying less weight than I carry in the summer...remember you still have to go thru the Smokies even after this point.

corialice81
04-03-2008, 21:19
I am carrying thermals, rain pants and jacket, down jacket as well...will that not work.

Almost There
04-03-2008, 21:28
I am carrying thermals, rain pants and jacket, down jacket as well...will that not work.

Should, just don't cut anymore weight, and if cold, set up your tent, don't shelter it, you'll stay warmer in the tent.

Almost There
04-03-2008, 21:29
I'd also think about a bag liner for your sleeping bag...you can still get snow in the Smokies in late April....I always carry one because of how expensive my sleeping bags were...they'll last longer.

corialice81
04-03-2008, 21:42
Well...the idea behind me posting my gear list is not to take anything away (I'm not trying to lose weight)...but rather make sure I hadn't forgotten anything (like my headlight) or if something else would work better... that's all.

corialice81
04-03-2008, 21:43
I do have a helium 15 degree bag I could carry instead.

quasarr
04-03-2008, 22:58
sleeping pad - I hate to tell you to bring an extra item, but adding a thin closed-cell foam pad such as the Gossamer Gear Thinlite on top of your air mattress will be much warmer. The 3/8" Thinlite only weighs 5oz, costs $9, and will be nice and warm.

shorts- are you bringing 2 pairs? I can't tell. Either way you don't need them, since you have zip off pants.

shoes - Gore Tex is overrated IMO. Mesh shoes dry much quicker.

gaiters - not necessary, unless you plan to do a lot of bushwhacking

crocs - heavy! for camp shoes, why not get cheap flip flops from Walmart. they weigh about 4 oz for a pair. crocs are close to a pound (I think)

patcouli - leave this at home. DEET is the only thing that actually repels insects. if you're against DEET for whatever reason, don't even bother bringing a "natural" bug spray because none of them work.

toothpaste - I've only seen Tom's in 8oz sizes. If you have a big tube of toothpaste, try to downsize to a 1oz or so tube.

towel - leave at home. a bandanna is works fine and is more versatile.

beanie - maybe switch with a fleece balaclava? They are great for sleeping, a warm neck is a great thing! I have a homemade one, they are very easy to sew. If it's warmer, you can roll up the neck and the balaclava becomes a hat.

cell phone/camera chargers - these are good bounce box items. chargers tend to be bulky and heavy

emergency necklace - what is the "fire starter" like? Is it just a flint? have you used it to make a fire before? An emergency fire kit is a good idea, but useless if you can't make a fire with it! I use a small waterproof case with a few windproof matches and paraffin fire starting pellets. I can start a fire with this kit even in wet weather.

these are the matches

http://www.bestglide.com/Lifeboat_Matches_Info.html

hope this was some help!! :banana

corialice81
04-04-2008, 12:51
quasarr -

sleeping pad - I have an insulated air core from big agnes that is super warm...i took it out in 19 F weather and was nice and toasty, but I do appreciate the info.

shorts- Yeah, 2 pair and i'm ditching the zip off pants for now. 1 pair to hike in and one (dry) pair for camp, may change my mind later to carrying one pair shorts and the zip pants...we'll see.

shoes - Gore tex is warm IMO so at the beginning I'm hiking in them and then switching to my hard rocks

gaiters - necessary IMO to keep bugs off my legs...I have a difficult time with skeeters (my whole life), also used for warmth when hiking in shorts on cooler days

crocs - NOT heavy! they weigh only 10 ozs. NOT A POUND!!! Think you're confused maybe with chacos..

patcouli - yes, patcouli does keep the insects off me (i've tested it)..in addition, i can't do deet because i am now sensitive to it. i.e. my skin breaks out into a rash wherever deet is applied. 4 yrs ago i worked at an outside lab in the congaree national swamp and had to wear 100% deet every day...now i can't handle the stuff.

toothpaste - well, the wonderful world of online (minibus.com) offers 1 oz sizes so does earth fare and that is the size i'm carrying

towel - it's a tiny pack towel from rei and it's smaller than my bandanna

beanie - it is a fleece beenie and my at buff is a balaclava, got both of those covered

cell phone/camera chargers - too expensive to bounce and they are lite

emergency necklace - yes, i have started a fire with it before and it is flint, my dad's suggestion was to bring this, so we're gonna make him happy (at least in the beginning)

yes, i do appreciate the info. and I hope you guys don't assume i'm a complete moron who has never hiked before. i have probably overthought this set up numerous times. anyhow, i'll be able to weight the pack without food or water this afternoon and we'll see how it goes from there.

corialice81
04-04-2008, 12:57
the website i mentioned above was misspelled...here is the correct web address...
http://www.minimus.biz

check it out!

corialice81
04-04-2008, 20:55
Just weighted my gear (the long list from above) and it totals 14 lbs.

budforester
04-04-2008, 23:34
Will the black flies be bad enough for Corialice to need a headnet?

stranger
04-05-2008, 03:01
Pack - Modified Osprey Aether 60 - 3lbs 5oz
Bag - Western Mountaineering Sycamore - 32oz
Pad - Thermarest 3/4 - 14oz
Shelter - MLD Patrol Tarp with Senerity Shelter - 16oz

so total weight will be = 7lbs 4oz

corialice81
04-05-2008, 12:41
budforester - I'm not sure when will I encounter black flies? I was under the impression that they were bad up north (am I wrong?). I do have one and my sis could mail it to me later.

stranger - nice. I started with a prolite thermarest but I just couldn't sleep comfortably so I went with the big agnes...much happier now.

jaiden
04-05-2008, 13:57
I carry a 16oz nalgene in the winter to hold boiling water inside my bag. this is my safety item. a "reactor" liner might help too. Yes, the clothes help (a lot) but if you've never used this gear below freezing you should consider either trying it out first, or carrying a liner or something for safety.

corialice81
04-05-2008, 14:52
Jaiden - do you really think there will be below freezing temps with me starting on the 19th of april? Also, I have tried the pad and bag combo in 19F temp and was nice and warm. I actually had to take clothes off because i started sweating.

quasarr
04-05-2008, 16:47
LOL I don't think you're a moron! In fact it looks like you have given your gear plenty of thought. My advice was what I would do, but of course that's not always what other people do.

budforester
04-05-2008, 19:11
budforester - I'm not sure when will I encounter black flies? I was under the impression that they were bad up north (am I wrong?). I do have one and my sis could mail it to me later.

Good, you've already prepared. I've never been around when they were "bad", but I hear horror stories. Here's a previous thread on black flies (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33321&highlight=black+flies).

corialice81
04-05-2008, 20:21
Thanks for the info budforester...I honestly have a weird issue with biting insects...i develop scabs from scratching them in my sleep and then when they heal, they leave scars...so I think dealing with insects is my biggest concern at the moment.

budforester
04-05-2008, 20:50
Thanks for the info budforester...I honestly have a weird issue with biting insects...i develop scabs from scratching them in my sleep and then when they heal, they leave scars...so I think dealing with insects is my biggest concern at the moment.

Antihistamine and anti- itch in your first aid? Permethrin works against ticks and redbugs on my hunting clothes, but that's long pants and sleeves, and it's less effective against mosquitoes. Some folks use Skin So Soft to repel mosquitoes, but I've heard mixed reviews. I'm groping for ideas, and you've probably already covered that ground. Have a great hike.

corialice81
04-05-2008, 20:59
we'll actually...I could use some help. I'm basically allergic (at this point) to DEET. As a kid, my mom had me use skin so soft but my experience with skin so soft is that it's really messy and oily and I'm afraid I'd get it all over my gear and ruin my gear and such. So, there it is...suggestions...

budforester
04-05-2008, 21:32
we'll actually...I could use some help. I'm basically allergic (at this point) to DEET. As a kid, my mom had me use skin so soft but my experience with skin so soft is that it's really messy and oily and I'm afraid I'd get it all over my gear and ruin my gear and such. So, there it is...suggestions...

I've heard mixed reviews for some of the "natural" repellent products. There is a Picaridin product, claimed to be as effective as DEET; offered by Cutter (http://www.cutterinsectrepellent.com/ProductCategories/RepellentProducts/AdvancedSport/). Perhaps others have tried this; I don't know whether it would get around your allergy issue; I have not looked at a MSDS for the product.

corialice81
04-05-2008, 21:36
I'll look into that picaridin by cutter...thanks!

Blissful
04-05-2008, 21:40
No real mosquito problems until you reach New York. No black fly worries because you will arrive after they are out. It's ticks, deerflies, and mosquitoes to worry about. Have at least a head net when you reach New York, but you can get a net that covers you from the head to your chest and your arms for camp (I got mine from Carol Wright gifts of all places!). The bugs are very bad in Mass. Really think you should have your zip nylon pants. If you are allergiic to DEET, you need the pants to help with bug protection. And to help against ticks - a big problem from VA on north. You may need to go more with clothing for protection. And I know you can take a B Vitiamin that makes you less attractive to insects (Appalachian Tater might know). Maybe garlic would help too (?). Maybe also look into Buzz off clothing.

And yes, you can certainly get below freezing temps in mid April! You are in the mtns for the most part until VA. By early May you will still have to cross the Smokies and the bald region and Roan MTN (above 6,000 feet) which can get cold. You might hang onto cold weather gear until you get past Roan Mtn. I'd take the helium until after Roan. Best to switch out at Damascus with warm weather stuff.

budforester
04-06-2008, 20:04
patcouli - yes, patcouli does keep the insects off me (i've tested it)..in addition, i can't do deet because i am now sensitive to it. i.e. my skin breaks out into a rash wherever deet is applied. 4 yrs ago i worked at an outside lab in the congaree national swamp and had to wear 100% deet every day...now i can't handle the stuff..

Maybe someone returning from their weekend can give you more info on bugs.