PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite hostel?

Pony
03-12-2008, 17:03
I often hear people say "you have to stay at Kincora" or The Place or you'd be crazy not to stay at......... etc. etc.

So what is your favorite hostel/hotel to stay in and why?

rafe
03-12-2008, 17:08
FreeState Hiker Hostel, on Wolfesville Rd. in MD.

Lone Wolf
03-12-2008, 17:09
Uncle Johnny's

slingblade
03-12-2008, 17:13
The Grand Prix.

rcli4
03-12-2008, 17:15
:DLone Wolf's house:D

Clyde

Yahtzee
03-12-2008, 17:19
Tough one, but I go with Shaw's. Shaw's may have the competitive advantage of being right outside the Wilderness, but I have never had anything but a full-blown, positive, fun time there. Spirits are high. The camaraderie is tight. Katahdin is near. What more could you ask for? (rhetorical)

warraghiyagey
03-12-2008, 17:21
Shaw's.:sun:sun

hobojoe
03-12-2008, 17:52
I would obviously say Miss Janet's but it's not open any more, Then I'd say "Four pines" but that's gone as well. So my final answer is rusty's even though he's done with new hikers he'll change his mind next year. Whenever I wake up at rusty's (if I sleep at all) I know I'm in for an interesting day. He believes in my philosophy "There is time to sleep when you're dead!" I only realy know the southern hostels though, so my answer is biased.

max patch
03-12-2008, 17:52
I'd list em but since they have all closed up......

hobojoe
03-12-2008, 18:01
Kinda sad isn't it? I'm glad to hear of new blood like in the case of woodshole, I am ectatic over the news of Neville continuing Miss Tillie's tradition after her passing. God bless them

rsmall
03-12-2008, 18:08
The Cabin in Andover, Maine. Earl and Margie are great people. However, I understand it has suspended operation. What is going on?

TOW
03-12-2008, 18:10
Elmers in Hot Springs, hands down!

Sly
03-12-2008, 18:11
My favorite hostels

Kincora
Shaw's
Standing Bear Farm

My favorite hotel

Holiday Inn Express- Hiawassee (awesome accommodations)

My favorite motel

White Wolf Inn- Stratton, ME (great bar)

My favorite shelter

Bryant Ridge

My favorite campsites

Priest overlook (best sunset)
Antler's camp (best sunrise)

Rainbow_Brite
03-12-2008, 18:12
Mountain Harbor B&B at 19E in Tennessee. Amazing breakfast (probably the best I've ever had in my life - two days in a row!), friendly people, wonderful and comfortable hiker bunkroom over the barn. They even do your laundry for you! I absolutely adored this place!

Appalachian Tater
03-12-2008, 18:32
The most underrated hostel is probably in Pearisburg. It's not very close to the trail, but the setting is amazing, with the views and the old slave burial ground.

Pony
03-12-2008, 18:35
What's the name of that one? The slave cemetary sounds really cool.

Appalachian Tater
03-12-2008, 18:42
Holy Family Hostel. It's on the church grounds but really one guy runs it. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35

Lone Wolf
03-12-2008, 18:58
The most underrated hostel is probably in Pearisburg. It's not very close to the trail, but the setting is amazing, with the views and the old slave burial ground.

i actually agree with tater. not close to the trail but close to town stuff that you need plus they allow tenting. great setting.

Tin Man
03-12-2008, 19:02
The Hikers Welcome Hostel in Glencliff. Of course, I should qualify this because it is the only one I have been to. That said, Packrat and his crew are very nice folks and very accommodating. For example, Packrat changed his plans a couple of times for us so he could shuttle us around Moosilauke.

Yahtzee
03-12-2008, 19:05
My favorite hostels

Kincora
Shaw's

My favorite hotel

Holiday Inn Express- Hiawassee (awesome accommodations)

My favorite motel

White Wolf Inn- Stratton, ME (great bar)

My favorite shelter

Bryant Ridge

My favorite campsites

Priest overlook (best sunset)
Antler's camp (best sunrise)

Favorite hotel? How do you choose? My god, I love each and every one of 'em.

Blissful
03-12-2008, 19:52
The Cabin in Andover, Maine. Earl and Margie are great people. However, I understand it has suspended operation. What is going on?

The Cabin was my favorite too.

Owners Honey and Bear are going to be traveling and hope to do some hiking as well. When I was there and they talked about all the hikes they have done in the Whites, etc., I could tell they really missed being out.

-MYST-
03-12-2008, 19:55
Standing bear farm (has everything you need without going into town or too far from the trail) feels like you never left the trail.
Shaw's
Wood's Hole

Sly
03-12-2008, 19:58
Favorite hotel? How do you choose? My god, I love each and every one of 'em.

It had a couch in the room! :D

Yahtzee
03-12-2008, 20:21
It had a couch in the room! :D

The one I had in Hiawassee had a couch as well. Wonder if they have a designated "hiker room". Plus, that place had the most killer hiker box. Just huge.

Phlashlite
03-12-2008, 21:06
Each hostel had its own atmosphere and seemed great after hiking. I really liked the Bears Den and Uncle Johnny's

Lilred
03-12-2008, 21:14

I agree, great hostel and amazing sunsets. I didn't know that old cememtary was a slave cemetary. There are two of them. The slave one must be the smaller, unkempt one.

Phreak
03-12-2008, 21:16
I've not been to many hostels but had a great time at the Lakeshore House.

Appalachian Tater
03-12-2008, 21:18
I agree, great hostel and amazing sunsets. I didn't know that old cememtary was a slave cemetary. There are two of them. The slave one must be the smaller, unkempt one.Yes, I'm sorry, you are correct. The family cemetery is fenced and has some nice monuments. Most of the slave sites aren't even marked but you can see the grass is different even now.

Lion King
03-12-2008, 21:20
I liked Hostel II, sure it was bloodier, but something about the story worked more form me.

saimyoji
03-12-2008, 21:38
Mechanical Man's place. Free outside cold showers and a shooting range.

Lone Wolf
03-12-2008, 21:43
i long for a cold shower and to sign a register of a self backpatter :)

Lugnut
03-12-2008, 23:51
Uncle Johnny's

You guys makeup?

Tinker
03-12-2008, 23:53
I enjoyed my stay at the Berry Patch in Hiawassee. Gary and Lennie are wonderful folks. They make great blueberry pancakes, too. They really make you feel at home. I was missing my friends from church and Gary gave me some Christian compassion. Wonderful, wonderful people.

Matteroo
03-13-2008, 00:35
thee cabin

Earle treated Bucket and I like grand children. They handled running their operation with grace but little things about practically living with hikers seemed maybe like they needed a break from that for a bit.

Tennessee Viking
03-13-2008, 01:07
Since I never stayed at a hostel yet, its hard to say. But I am around Kincora a lot.

The Weasel
03-13-2008, 01:09
Elmers in Hot Springs, hands down!

TOW ----

I absolutely concur that Elmer's is the best place for a hiker to stay, bar none, along the trail, for any number of reasons, but it's not really a hostel, nor is it a hotel, or an inn, or a bed/breakfast. It's not exactly a retreat, or a house open to others, or anything else. It's Elmer's. But not a hostel. Sorta.

TW

minnesotasmith
03-13-2008, 01:34
TOW ----

I absolutely concur that Elmer's is the best place for a hiker to stay, bar none, along the trail, for any number of reasons, but it's not really a hostel, nor is it a hotel, or an inn, or a bed/breakfast. It's not exactly a retreat, or a house open to others, or anything else. It's Elmer's. But not a hostel. Sorta.

TW

For commies and, uh, less than totally conventionals, sure. Not for normals if Elmer has time and inclination to check out your personal beliefs much, which he often does...

You guys are missing Gull Pond and Pine Ellis in Maine. They went above and beyond for me while I was there, didn't charge excessively for anything, and at Pine Ellis they cared to an extent only the Blueberry Patch and (of course) Miss Janet's could approach.

warraghiyagey
03-13-2008, 02:09
You guys are missing Gull Pond and Pine Ellis in Maine. They went above and beyond for me while I was there, didn't charge excessively for anything, and at Pine Ellis they cared to an extent only the Blueberry Patch and (of course) Miss Janet's could approach.
Yes, Bob at Gull Pond - Rangeley is one of the great folk to meet on the trail. He seems so happy just to meet the hikers.
And of course Eileen as Pine Ellis is a wonderful woman and I hope to stay at least a day with her this year too.:sun

Sly
03-13-2008, 02:10
For commies and, uh, less than totally conventionals, sure. Not for normals ...

How would you know? You're not normal by any stretch of the imagination.

minnesotasmith
03-13-2008, 03:06
How would you know? You're not normal by any stretch of the imagination.

That if memory serves, looks like a polygamist? ;)

rafe
03-13-2008, 08:41
re: Elmer's in Hot Springs:

For commies and, uh, less than totally
conventionals, sure.

Umm, in terms of normalcy, MS, you've really got no leg to stand on. No standing, as the lawyers say. No dog in the fight.

:D :banana :D :cool: :sun :-? :confused: :eek: :rolleyes: :o

Blue Jay
03-13-2008, 08:50
For commies and, uh, less than totally conventionals, sure. Not for normals if Elmer has time and inclination to check out your personal beliefs much, which he often does...

The only complaint I've ever heard about Elmer, in 10 years, is that its hard to get in there because it's so great. Ony Minnie would have a problem there.
As Sly said, you have no idea what is normal.

The Weasel
03-13-2008, 08:52
MS may be referring to Elmer's dinnertable hosting, in which he poses - to all guests - a question, which each guest in turn responds to, unless they indicate that they would rather not. Those questions may include things such as, "Tell us one thing you think is important in life." It makes dinner more than (fantastic) food to share thoughts with others you don't know.

TW

rafe
03-13-2008, 09:02
MS may be referring to Elmer's dinnertable hosting, in which he poses - to all guests - a question, which each guest in turn responds to, unless they indicate that they would rather not. Those questions may include things such as, "Tell us one thing you think is important in life." It makes dinner more than (fantastic) food to share thoughts with others you don't know.

TW

I agree, Weasel. I did my first zero at Elmers. Had a great time there. Yes, it's a hippy-dippy sort of place, probably one of the reasons I loved it. I was terrified that I'd hate the food and was amazed at how tasty it was. Like you, I didn't enter it as my "favorite" only 'cuz I don't think of it as a hostel, in the usual sense. Somehow too classy for that category.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2008, 09:15
between 86 and 00 i must have stayed at elmer's 50 times or more. never less than 3 nites, stayed 6 once. even i get along fabulously with the lefty libby hippie :)

rafe
03-13-2008, 09:33
between 86 and 00 i must have stayed at elmer's 50 times or more. never less than 3 nites, stayed 6 once. even i get along fabulously with the lefty libby hippie :)

It's where I first ran into you, LW. I believe it was one of your extended stays. I don't recall chatting much while there -- but we left on the same morning and met up again at Spring Mtn. shelter.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2008, 09:38
the 2nd floor porch facing the street is voted "best beer drinking porch on the AT"

rafe
03-13-2008, 09:43
This is the porch I remember...

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/elmers.jpg

Lone Wolf
03-13-2008, 09:46
the side porch off the kitchen entrance

DavidNH
03-13-2008, 10:39
This is a tough one. I will single out two for special mention...

Shaws in Monson Maine I think may well be the finest. Good price and location, the best breakfast value this sie of the Moon, friendly and very very comfortable.

Coming in at second (and high and away the best for the southern states) would be Elmer's Sunny Bank Inn. Here you pay the very cheep price of 15 bucks (2006 price) a night, have a whole house, wonderful sunny porch, gourmet four course meals (yea it's a bit extra but worth it!) and a warm friendly family type atmostphere at the table. Meals are vegetarian but even this die hard meat and dairy eater loved his cooking. Additionally, Hot Springs, NC has about everything a hiker could ask for. To boot, the trail runs right down main street.

You have no choice but to visit the town as the trail goes right through it!

DavidNH

Actually...these are both so fine it is hard to put one over the other. Shaws wins out in my view only for the increadible food.

hopefulhiker
03-13-2008, 10:45
Elmers, Hot Springs
Shaws, Monson

minnesotasmith
03-13-2008, 10:53
I suggest talking to the short 2006-thruhiker named Hobbit about what happened there...

The Weasel
03-13-2008, 11:16
Well, it's not a 'lefty liberal' place, either. It's relgiious, in a very gentle Buddhist way (which, to those who know anything of Buddhism, is triply redundant), in the sense that meat is not eaten, and peace - individual and global - is sought, and friendship in its deeper ways is sought. Those aren't "leftist" things; conservatives share those goals as much as liberals, and the religious aspect is sufficiently restrained that, on my first visit, I genially shared the second floor garden-side middle bedroom with a very conservative - and delightful - Baptist minister who was sectioning about 100 miles.

Elmer does much the same as Gary at the Blueberry Patch. He reminds people of what they are capable of, without telling them.

TW

Almost There
03-13-2008, 12:02
This is a tough one. I will single out two for special mention...

Shaws in Monson Maine I think may well be the finest. Good price and location, the best breakfast value this sie of the Moon, friendly and very very comfortable.

Coming in at second (and high and away the best for the southern states) would be Elmer's Sunny Bank Inn. Here you pay the very cheep price of 15 bucks (2006 price) a night, have a whole house, wonderful sunny porch, gourmet four course meals (yea it's a bit extra but worth it!) and a warm friendly family type atmostphere at the table. Meals are vegetarian but even this die hard meat and dairy eater loved his cooking. Additionally, Hot Springs, NC has about everything a hiker could ask for. To boot, the trail runs right down main street.

You have no choice but to visit the town as the trail goes right through it!

DavidNH

Actually...these are both so fine it is hard to put one over the other. Shaws wins out in my view only for the increadible food.

Hot Springs, is over rated, a get in, get out town in my opinion. Other than Elmer's price, the town rips off visitors, like nowhere else along the trail in the south. $23 rib-eye at Paddler's c'mon, anywhere that has different prices for locals and visitors can kiss my big white butt.

I do look forward to Shaw's this summer, I only wish I could have visited when the Shaw's were actually still around.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2008, 12:03
Hot Springs, is over rated, a get in, get out town in my opinion. Other than Elmer's price, the town rips off visitors, like nowhere else along the trail in the south. $23 rib-eye at Paddler's c'mon, anywhere that has different prices for locals and visitors can kiss my big white butt.

I do look forward to Shaw's this summer, I only wish I could have visited when the Shaw's were actually still around.

agree. hot springs has changed. the "old" shaws was the *hit!

Almost There
03-13-2008, 12:05
Well, it's not a 'lefty liberal' place, either. It's relgiious, in a very gentle Buddhist way (which, to those who know anything of Buddhism, is triply redundant), in the sense that meat is not eaten, and peace - individual and global - is sought, and friendship in its deeper ways is sought. Those aren't "leftist" things; conservatives share those goals as much as liberals, and the religious aspect is sufficiently restrained that, on my first visit, I genially shared the second floor garden-side middle bedroom with a very conservative - and delightful - Baptist minister who was sectioning about 100 miles.

Elmer does much the same as Gary at the Blueberry Patch. He reminds people of what they are capable of, without telling them.

TW

And Elmer always has pretty, young Man-boys around the place.;)

Sorry I got a weird vibe when I stopped by last summer, almost a cultish/groupie feel from the guys and gal who he had working there.
He....was typical Elmer:rolleyes:

And This is my 2000th Post!!!:banana:D:banana:D

wilconow
03-13-2008, 12:11
With Elmer's for a dinner and/or breakfast and the Smoky Mountain Diner, who cares what the other places charge? The Diner is cool

We went to dinner at the Paddler's Pub one night, sat at a table for like 20 minutes before someone came over.. left. went to that broad street cafe I think it's called. It was okay, kind of expensive and a little too fancy food. Service was good though. Felt the same way about the ice cream place. Not cheap but at least it was good

max patch
03-13-2008, 12:13
I suggest talking to the short 2006-thruhiker named Hobbit about what happened there...

I've got an open mind about the place - never been there - can you tell us what happened?

Yahtzee
03-13-2008, 12:14
Had a beautiful night at Elmer's with all the hikers staying there joined in the music room passing around all the old instruments and playing songs. Magical. Love the joint and I haven't even eaten there.

That said, I'll hotel it in Hot Springs when I can.

Tin Man
03-13-2008, 12:23
As in every public place, I doubt any can say they have never had an issue. It's consistency and how they deal with issues that count.

Sly
03-13-2008, 13:15

That's one restaurant. Mountain Diner is good, the campground only charges $5 for hikers (dual pricing is only good for hiker discounts?) and the Bluff Mountain is reasonable.

Sly
03-13-2008, 13:20

If we were to only accept one or two peoples opinions of hostels along the trail none would be visited.

Blissful
03-13-2008, 13:23
That's one restaurant. Mountain Diner is good, the campground only charges $5 for hikers (dual pricing is only good for hiker discounts?) and the Bluff Mountain is reasonable.

We enjoyed the Smoky Mtn diner. Good food, good prices. And you can't beat the prices at Family Dollar for resupply. I also picked up a shirt for Paul Bunyan at the outfitters - they had a reduced sales rack upstairs.

We got to stay in one of nice guest rooms at Elmers with a poster bed - it was great. Too bad they didn't have dinner that night. He was being interviewed by the BBC or soemthing (?).

Blissful
03-13-2008, 13:24
Sly are you in an airplane or something right now? Your location is interesting.

Dances with Mice
03-13-2008, 13:39
I suggest talking to the short 2006-thruhiker named Hobbit about what happened there...Haven't heard of 2006 Hobbit. But I do remember someone taking four zero days there during his hike while dealing with equipment problems.

Sly
03-13-2008, 13:42
Sly are you in an airplane or something right now? Your location is interesting.

Not on a plane yet but I will be soon! :D Atlanta to San Diego.

rafe
03-13-2008, 13:46
As in every public place, I doubt any can say they have never had an issue. It's consistency and how they deal with issues that count.

Who can beat Elmer for consistency? Shaws, maybe. LW sez he was there in '86, so they've been at it for at least 22 years now. I know Shaws has been around since..... I dunno, the Jurassic. Keith Sr. was a character, for sure. (As usual, Bryson had him pegged.) Folks talk about Kincorra or Miss Janet's, but these are "new" from where I sit.

minnesotasmith
03-13-2008, 13:47

TW

"Gentle" Buddhists (yes, I've known some) don't initiate conversation solely for the purpose of aggressively interrogating people about their private beliefs, hoping to "catch" someone disagreeing with their political dogma, in order to take pleasure in turning them out.

Likewise, Elmer's food is insubstantial and terribly rationed on nutrient-heavy components. I don't see that his collection of antiques justifies worship akin to that given to Rusty's.

rafe
03-13-2008, 13:49
Haven't heard of 2006 Hobbit. But I do remember someone taking four zero days there during his hike while dealing with equipment problems.

I'll bet every AT class has a raft of Tolkien characters... Strider, Ranger, Hobbit... etc.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2008, 13:50
Who can beat Elmer for consistency? Shaws, maybe. LW sez he was there in '86, so they've been at it for at least 22 years now. I know Shaws has been around since..... I dunno, the Jurassic. Keith Sr. was a character, for sure. (As usual, Bryson had him pegged.) Folks talk about Kincorra or Miss Janet's, but these are "new" from where I sit.

elmer bought the place around 76 and started taking in folks shortly after

minnesotasmith
03-13-2008, 13:54
Haven't heard of 2006 Hobbit. But I do remember someone taking four zero days there during his hike while dealing with equipment problems.

I moved elsewhere in town when Elmer was about to jack up the price per night to $40.00/plus.

warraghiyagey
03-13-2008, 14:12
I'll bet every AT class has a raft of Tolkien characters... Strider, Ranger, Hobbit... etc.
I've met a strider and a ranger. No Hobbits yet though.

minnesotasmith
03-13-2008, 14:14
re: Elmer's in Hot Springs:

Umm, in terms of normalcy, MS, you've really got no leg to stand on. No standing, as the lawyers say. No dog in the fight.

I'm clean-cut with normal-length short hair and no facial hair, untattoed, unpierced, degreed, employed in a real career, fully heterosexual, Protestant Christian, not a user of illegal recreational chemical, patriotic, and marriage- and family-oriented, among other things. There are multiple people on this website that look like Osama Bin Laden, use dope (or worse) about as often as I eat vegetables, believe in really weird stuff like vortexes/crystal "power"/witchcraft, politically have more in common with Pol Pot than they do the Founding Fathers, and/or are quite frankly long-time drifters with no apparent honest means of support. Which group would be considered more acceptable in typical Smalltown, USA?

A little story for you...

One of the nicest guys (and faster hikers) I met during my thruhike was Mayor Turtle. He did, however, have an enormous curved silver nose ring. One time in a shelter we were talking about luck on the Trail, good and bad. I recounted to him about all the people (about 7) that I met that spontaneously took me into their homes overnight. He good-naturedly expressed disappointment that that had not happened to him even once so far (this was in E. PA, I believe). I did not have the heart to tell him that that was probably in large part due to the fact that he looked like a Satanist who would kill any family that took him into their home in their sleep, and eat them after a ceremony.

See the point here?

minnesotasmith
03-13-2008, 14:18
I've got an open mind about the place - never been there - can you tell us what happened?

It's hearsay, and I'm not opening myself up to a libel lawsuit. (I think Elmer is just mean enough to do it, if he heard about my posting that.)

I will say, though, that I found Hobbit fully credible, and that there would be calls here for sanctions against Elmer if word was out on that.

Sly
03-13-2008, 14:28
Among other things, normal people don't carry six rolls of toilet paper. Next.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2008, 14:32
It's hearsay, and I'm not opening myself up to a libel lawsuit. (I think Elmer is just mean enough to do it, if he heard about my posting that.)

I will say, though, that I found Hobbit fully credible, and that there would be calls here for sanctions against Elmer if word was out on that.

elmer? mean? that's funny :D there's always gonna be snivelers and muldoons bitching and moaning about businesses along the trail. sanction? another funny :D

minnesotasmith
03-13-2008, 14:32
Among other things, normal people don't carry six rolls of toilet paper. Next.

They use sticks like a ULer I know told me he did.

Riggghhhhtttt... :rolleyes:

Sly
03-13-2008, 14:35
See what I mean. You have to be the only hiker in history to carry SIX rolls. Not normal.

Two Speed
03-13-2008, 14:36
I'm clean-cut . . . blah, blah, blah . . . among other things.<snip>

Among other things, normal people don't carry six rolls of toilet paper. Next.Or carry six litres of water. Looks can be deceiving, can't they?

minnesotasmith
03-13-2008, 14:47
See what I mean. You have to be the only hiker in history to carry SIX rolls. Not normal.

I was going close to two weeks between resupply. They were also the cheaper, thinner, smaller generic rolls.

And, re the water... When I was drinking it ALL (in 107 degree weather) before I got to the next source, it obviously wasn't excessive. I carried 2-3 liters on >80% of the Trail, incidentally.

Two Speed
03-13-2008, 14:52

Or carry six litres of water. Looks can be deceiving, can't they?

I was going close to two weeks between resupply. They were also the cheaper, thinner, smaller generic rolls.

And, re the water... When I was drinking it ALL (in 107 degree weather) before I got to the next source, it obviously wasn't excessive. I carried 2-3 liters on >80% of the Trail, incidentally.Or filtered, boiled and chemically treated their water. Or came up with contrived excuses for carrying six rolls of paper or six litres of water.

Face it, you really ain't in a good position to tell everyone else what's normal and what isn't. :p

DavidNH
03-13-2008, 14:54
I should also add Bob's Gull Pond Lodge in Rangley, ME. Someone else mentioned this and it is true. Very comfy. Bob is friendly and chatty, and he shuttles you free to town and back (2 miles each way) or to trail for about 6 bucks (10 miles each way). Free cold buffet breakfast. And at 20 bucks a night, it is practically a steal!

DavidNH

Tin Man
03-13-2008, 14:57
What is normal?

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna.html) - Cite This Source (http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=normal&ia=luna) - Share This (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/normal#sharethis)
nor·mal

3.Psychology. a.approximately average in any psychological trait, as intelligence, personality, or emotional adjustment. b.free from any mental disorder; sane.

MS may be different, but I would suggest he is normal... mostly, like the rest of us in other words, in a different sort of way, normally. ;)

minnesotasmith
03-13-2008, 15:02
Or filtered, boiled and chemically treated their water.

First, I never once did all three on a given batch of water. Technically, if the definition of "filtered" is used where the water is put thru something like Katadyne's 0.1 micron filter, where essentially all the bacteria are removed (and the resultant water is bacteriologically fit to drink), I never even filtered water.

I screened water with coffee filters, then either boiled it (if I were going to be cooking with it, to save on Aqua Mira), or then used Aqua Mira.

Say, the people that had prefilters on their filters, or used bandannas to catch the bug parts, leaves, and sand, in the way I removed those before chemically treating water, were technically filtering their water twice, by your definition. Think they're all nuts, too?

Two Speed
03-13-2008, 15:06
Think they're all nuts, too?No. Just you.

minnesotasmith
03-13-2008, 15:10
No. Just you.

Are you tatooed, bearded, or pierced? What are a couple of (nonhiking, nonhobby) major achievements of yours?

Tin Man
03-13-2008, 15:12
Think they're all nuts, too?

No. Just you.

Are you tatooed, bearded, or pierced? What are a couple of (nonhiking, nonhobby) major achievements of yours?

Ease back fellas. No need for this. Be :cool:

Tin Man
03-13-2008, 15:15
BTW, it never ceases to amaze me that people get all hung up on purifying their water and then don't think twice about picking up food with their dirty hands.

Two Speed
03-13-2008, 15:16
Are you tatooed, bearded, or pierced? What are a couple of (nonhiking, nonhobby) major achievements of yours?How'd ya guess? I'm also one-armed, I love cheese and play a mean accordion. Also tend bar, now that I think about it.

Jack Tarlin
03-13-2008, 15:26
Sorry to hear that some folks weren't too happy with their stay in Hot Springs......I love the place.

Incidentally, the other restaurant in town is called the Bridge St. Cafe; it's recetly got new owners who are great, and their prices have come down a bit. Definitely the best place in town for dinner.

As for the best hostel?

Kincora in Dennis Cove TN, is the best hiker facility on the Trail, period.

Everyone else is playing in another league.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2008, 15:50
As for the best hostel?

Kincora in Dennis Cove TN, is the best hiker facility on the Trail, period.

i'll agree the proprietors are the nicest on the AT but the hostel itself is small and cramped when full, no tenting and it's in the middle of nowhere so you can't just up and walk to town at your liesure.
now don't jump in my **** jack, it's just my opinion :)

wilconow
03-13-2008, 15:55
elmer bought the place around 76 and started taking in folks shortly after

If you want to go back with Elmer's read David Brill's book As Far As The Eye Can See.

Jack Tarlin
03-13-2008, 16:12
Not to jump on Wolf, as I respect his opinions greatly.....

However:

*There is indeed a small backyard for tenting. I've seen as many as ten
tents and tarps back there at Hardcore and at other times.

*There's a large, secluded tent platform up and behind the hostel, as well
as a treehouse with a double bed. And Bob is building more tent sites.

*The hostel is .2 off the Trail. People can put their packs on and head to
town at their leisure any time they want to. Thing is, Kincora is such a
great place that nobody wants to!

hobojoe
03-13-2008, 16:15
I'm clean-cut with normal-length short hair and no facial hair, untattoed, unpierced, degreed, employed in a real career, fully heterosexual, Protestant Christian, not a user of illegal recreational chemical, patriotic, and marriage- and family-oriented, among other things.
My god you sound boring....

minnesotasmith
03-13-2008, 16:18

Boring people don't in my experience generally do things like thruhikes. ;)

Sly

Ditto that. Plus he likes to spew his religious bigotry.

hobojoe
People focus too much on the stats of a particular hostel and not the experience you get there. Personaly I'm not on the trail to eat at Mcdonalds.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2008, 16:19
Not to jump on Wolf, as I respect his opinions greatly.....

However:

*There is indeed a small backyard for tenting. I've seen as many as ten
tents and tarps back there at Hardcore and at other times.

*There's a large, secluded tent platform up and behind the hostel, as well
as a treehouse with a double bed. And Bob is building more tent sites.

*The hostel is .2 off the Trail. People can put their packs on and head to
town at their leisure any time they want to. Thing is, Kincora is such a
great place that nobody wants to!

ok. didn't know about tenting. but it's nice to have a cold beer when you're relaxing :)

hobojoe
03-13-2008, 16:19
Boring people don't in my experience generally do things like thruhikes. ;)
No offense, but I believe you are very wrong about that.

hobojoe
03-13-2008, 16:20
ok. didn't know about tenting. but it's nice to have a cold beer when you're relaxing :)
Yeah, but Bob has done enough for all of us that EVEN I can spend a sober day there.

Appalachian Tater
03-13-2008, 16:22
My god you sound boring....Apparently he doesn't like pickles either:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=14870&catid=searchresults&searchid=13817

rafe
03-13-2008, 16:22
Face it MS, you ain't normal. Not saying "normal" is all it's cracked up to be, or that "abnormal" is inherently evil, but with regard to hiking habits or politics, you're way, way off the norm. Still and all, I'm fascinated that you got such a bad impression from Elmers. No need to explain it all again -- I'm just in awe, that's all. ;)

minnesotasmith
03-13-2008, 16:30
Apparently he doesn't like pickles either:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=14870&catid=searchresults&searchid=13817

Do you, ah, have a "special" love for pickles? (Presumably, due to having a "special" use for them...):eek:;)

hobojoe
03-13-2008, 16:41
Apparently he doesn't like pickles either:

Either that or he is on the 2 pickle slice'a'day diet.

Tin Man
03-13-2008, 16:45

Sly
03-13-2008, 16:50
All you pickle people calm down now. Let's not get excited. :p Thanks.

woodsy
03-13-2008, 17:09
Y'all quit pickin on Minniesmith.
I will say this for him: Even before he hit Maine he had acquired a name for himself along the trail for not only slamming trail conditions and maintaining clubs but also for slamming hostels and their owners, to the point where hostel owners in Maine were cringing at the thought of him staying at their place,:eek:for fear of him spreading bad words about them. This from first hand sources.

Sly
03-13-2008, 17:12
I will say this for him: Even before he hit Maine he had acquired a name for himself along the trail for not only slamming trail conditions and maintaining clubs but also for slamming hostels and their owners, to the point where hostel owners in Maine were cringing at the thought of him staying at their place,:eek:for fear of him spreading bad words about them. This from first hand sources.

OK... Good story! :D

hobojoe
03-13-2008, 17:36
Sounds like a debbie downer, can't we all just appreciate the world for its beauty and diversity.

stomparound85
03-13-2008, 17:43
Uncle Johnny's

Almost There
03-13-2008, 18:28

Wow, I have two piercings, two...soon to be three tattoos, and I am also bearded...btw I teach and coach children at the high school level...never thought about eating them, but I heard babies are good with ketchup!:eek::D

Two Speed
03-13-2008, 18:42
Sooo, do you like cheese?

BTW, in the "manly man's" world teaching may be kinda sissified. Gotta be careful around "real" men. ;)

Almost There
03-13-2008, 18:51
Sooo, do you like cheese?

BTW, in the "manly man's" world teaching may be kinda sissified. Gotta be careful around "real" men. ;)

Yeah, but I am the head wrestling coach and I also coach football in the south.

In the past I have also worked as an apprentice pipe-fitter and flooring contractor...is that manly enough?;) back atcha'! Oh, yeah and I also competed at the International level in Greco-Roman Wrestling!

warraghiyagey
03-13-2008, 19:02
That was certainly my experience in 06. I never ran into him but his name was known for those very reasons on the trail waaaaay before he was even near and it wasn't that much fun knowing that was the wake a fellow hiker was leaving on the trail that I was approaching.
:(

Two Speed
03-13-2008, 19:04
Oh, chest thumping, huh?

Seven years with Georgia Power screwing with electrons good enough for ya?

Just for the record, electrons can and will shoot out of your shorts and untie your shoelaces if you pull the right boneheaded trick. :eek:

Pony
03-13-2008, 19:06
Do a lot of people follow wrestling in Georgia? It's pretty big here in Ohio, but I don't hear too much about it from the south. I wrestled from about 4th grade up through some in college, and coached for few years. Great sport, hopefully it made me mentally tough enough to tackle the AT.

saimyoji
03-13-2008, 19:26
Or carry six litres of water. Looks can be deceiving, can't they?

I regularly carry six liters of water in the summer. :cool:

but even with that my pack weight is less than 30#

rcli4
03-13-2008, 20:15
This thread proves what I have always said. HYOH means do it my way and you will be all right. Smitty carried 6 rolls of toilet paper. He CARRIED THEM. Any of ya'll runnin yer mouth about him being wierd/not normal for the way he hiked remember that the next time ya feel the need to say HYOH.

Clyde
Anybody that will carry six rolls of toilet paper is either nuts or full of shat

Flush2wice
03-13-2008, 20:27
Anybody that will carry six rolls of toilet paper is either nuts or full of shat
He's nuttier than a squirrel turd. But then again, he does look a bit like Mr. Whipple.

Tin Man
03-13-2008, 20:28
Clyde

or maybe it is because he is an engineer and over-engineered a few things perhaps? leave him be, he's harmless

Two Speed
03-13-2008, 20:40
This thread proves what I have always said. HYOH means do it my way and you will be all right. Smitty carried 6 rolls of toilet paper. He CARRIED THEM. Any of ya'll runnin yer mouth about him being wierd/not normal for the way he hiked remember that the next time ya feel the need to say HYOH.

Clyde
Anybody that will carry six rolls of toilet paper is either nuts or full of shatI'm not busting on him for hiking his own hike. I'm busting on him for trying to define "normal" when many of his habits ain't even close to normal, whatever that might be. Kinda the pot calling the kettle black thing, if you get my drift.

For the record I make no claim to be normal, morally superior or any of that other holier-than-thou BS. Just a gomer that has too much time on his hands.

Almost There
03-13-2008, 20:53
Oh, chest thumping, huh?

Seven years with Georgia Power screwing with electrons good enough for ya?

Just for the record, electrons can and will shoot out of your shorts and untie your shoelaces if you pull the right boneheaded trick. :eek:

Yep!:D Naw, just thought you were calling me a puss.;) Yeah, playing with electricy, you're either a man...or crazy. I had a roommate at one time who used to cut down trees that had hung up amongst live wires during storms...some of the stories he used to tell...Keeerrraaazzzyyy!:D

Almost There
03-13-2008, 20:57
Do a lot of people follow wrestling in Georgia? It's pretty big here in Ohio, but I don't hear too much about it from the south. I wrestled from about 4th grade up through some in college, and coached for few years. Great sport, hopefully it made me mentally tough enough to tackle the AT.

Born and raised in Illinois where wrestling is big, moved here in 2002, and no wrestling sucks for the most part down here, there are a few good teams, it has a bigger following in North Georgia, the big crux is getting kids to come out for the sport, if the father didn't do it, it's hard to get the son out. Kids aren't willing to suffer for their sport like we did back in the day.

Flush2wice
03-13-2008, 20:57
He's nuttier than a squirrel turd. But then again, he does look a bit like Mr. Whipple.
Return to topic-
Back in the day there were a few places worth mentioning-
Graymoor Monastery- not a hostel obviously but it was quite unique. Dinner, breakfast, shower, private room. I can't remember if they had laundry facilities.
Roger's place- One in NY and one in Glencliff. Shower, bunkhouse, dinner, breakfast, plenty of beer, and the McNeil Lehrer cocktail hour. And he refused any payment.

rafe
03-13-2008, 21:00
or maybe it is because he is an engineer and over-engineered a few things perhaps? leave him be, he's harmless

Ruh-roh. Gonna start pickin' on engineers now? Well, OK here's an engineer joke from way back. It even has an AT connection, sort of...

A software engineer, a technician, and a marketing guy are in a car coming down the Mt. Washington Auto Road. The brakes fail. Eventually they bring the car to a stop against the guard rails. The car's scraped up pretty bad, but nobody's hurt. They pile out of the car in relief.

The marketing guy says, "Whew, that was close. But hey, we're still on schedule."

The technician opens the trunk, grabs his tools, and goes to work fixing the brakes.

The software engineer says, "Wow. That was wild. Let's push the car back up the hill and see if it happens again."

Lone Wolf
03-13-2008, 21:01
Return to topic-
Back in the day there were a few places worth mentioning-
Graymoor Monastery- not a hostel obviously but it was quite unique. Dinner, breakfast, shower, private room. I can't remember if they had laundry facilities.
Roger's place- One in NY and one in Glencliff. Shower, bunkhouse, dinner, breakfast, plenty of beer, and the McNeil Lehrer cocktail hour. And he refused any payment.

yup. been to both. awesome. shaws and elmer have been the only real constants in the past 30 years

minnesotasmith
03-14-2008, 00:44
Wow, I have two piercings, two...soon to be three tattoos, and I am also bearded...btw I teach and coach children at the high school level...never thought about eating them, but I heard babies are good with ketchup!:eek::D

That's where the electrodes clamp on:
http://www.solarnavigator.net/mythology/mythology_images/Frankenstein_monster_Boris_Karloff.jpg

P.S. I'm a scientist, not an engineer. Engineers in my experience are people with lots of formulas but few concepts. ;)

ATSeamstress
03-14-2008, 00:47
I haven't hiked the entire trail, but I give a big thumbs up to Bears Den.

rafe
03-14-2008, 01:08
Engineers in my experience are people with lots of formulas but few concepts. ;)

Your experience is clouded by an excess of Charmin. ;)

warraghiyagey
03-14-2008, 01:28
Dammit Jim!!

I'm a scientist, ;)

not a Doctor!!

fiddlehead
03-14-2008, 02:52
Wow, to try to join in on a thread that is already 7 pages long is usually a disaster.
This one is pretty entertaining. especially the first (top) post on THIS page.

Hostels: they were mostly all closed last time i hiked. I think that's a good thing.

Best ones are the ones with the best food. (shaws is the only one that comes to mind as being exceptional. ) 6, 6, and 6 is the way i liked to order there.

I don't hike to hang out in hostels. but we gotta eat.

Fannypack
03-14-2008, 07:08
-- in 1996, Hikers Paradise in Gorham (I think this is considered a hostel since I only paid $13 a day and we had bunk beds with 4 persons in a room....)

-- with a kitchen available and 24 hr gas station next door which sells Ben & Jerry's
-- stayed there 7 days, of course, 5 days I slacked myself... great experience

I am curious, is Bruno still operating this "hostel"?
and what is the current price?
do they still have the bicycles?

Enjoy your hike, remember u are on vacation!!

Lone Wolf
03-14-2008, 07:18
-- in 1996, Hikers Paradise in Gorham (I think this is considered a hostel since I only paid $13 a day and we had bunk beds with 4 persons in a room....)

-- with a kitchen available and 24 hr gas station next door which sells Ben & Jerry's

i went there in 95 to visit some hiker friends of mine. i was staying at The Barn. i got bitched out royally for being on the property without being a paying guest. KMA "paradise" :)

minnesotasmith
03-14-2008, 07:21

-Yes, he still runs the place, along with his wife.

-The kitchen looked pretty underused, but still potentially useful.

-Work for stay is no more. Owners told me too many hikers either didn't work hard enough, whined incessantly about actually being expected to do any work, or skipped out altogether.

-The owners had a reputation for being pretty grumpy, but I got along with them fine. But then, I caused no trouble, and showed no reluctance to pay in full, on time.

-Price was around the standard northern hostel price of 25.00/night, I think.

-I don't think they still have the bicycles. I didn't see or hear of them.

-I didn't eat in their restaurant, preferring to eat cheaper/different elsewhere (mostly canned goods from the Wal-Mart about a mile and a half away).

I found them to have reasonable but firm expectations. IMO they appeared to be honest, forthright, hard-working, rule-following people who strongly expected the same of other people, and not afraid to judge those who fell short.

Lone Wolf
03-14-2008, 07:28
i feel about them the way you feel about elmer

Jeff
03-14-2008, 07:36
I found Lois & Earl at Dutch Haus in Montebello, Va to be excellent hosts and great cooks. Well worth the walk down Fish Hatchery Rd!!!!

minnesotasmith
03-14-2008, 07:36
i feel about them the way you feel about elmer

They didn't appear to be unprovokedly aggressive or downright strange the way Elmer can be/is, just with a strong sense of justice.

Lone Wolf
03-14-2008, 07:39
post #133. nasty people

minnesotasmith
03-14-2008, 07:40
I found Lois & Earl at Dutch Haus in Montebello, Va to be excellent hosts and great cooks. Well worth the walk down Fish Hatchery Rd!!!!

The meal was nice in quality, but food (and drink) were tiny WRT thruhiker portion-needs. It crossed my mind to ask if I could pay for 3 more complete sets of food and drink, but I was far too diplomatic to say it aloud. ;) It did make me wonder how well they understood thruhiker needs.

The place was immaculate and very well set up, especially from a female's POV. If you wanted to impress a female you were involved with long-term, it'd be a great place to take her for a weekend or something.

minnesotasmith
03-14-2008, 09:19
post #133. nasty people

You weren't a customer of theirs. Not saying they should have been abrupt with you, being a guest of a customer, but that interaction doesn't indicate they would be nasty with (non-problem-causing) customers. They were fine with me.

BTW, does anyone know if that place has had problems with trespassing freeloaders the way the Doyle obviously has?

Lone Wolf
03-14-2008, 09:20
You weren't a customer of theirs. Not saying they should have been abrupt with you, being a guest of a customer, but that interaction doesn't indicate they would be nasty with (non-problem-causing) customers. They were fine with me.

BTW, does anyone know if that place has had problems with trespassing freeloaders the way the Doyle obviously has?

nope. ********.

Almost There
03-14-2008, 09:27

No, walking back up that road, sucks!!! Great place to stay, but I'd rather go into Buena Vista before hand and wait until Rockfish Gap to head into a town again.

rafe
03-14-2008, 09:48
No, walking back up that road, sucks!!! Great place to stay, but I'd rather go into Buena Vista before hand and wait until Rockfish Gap to head into a town again.

Seriously! I was looking forward to staying there -- until I called and learned that it would involve a 700 foot descent, which I'd have to climb back up the next morning. :(

I ended up in Buena Vista the following day. Paid $20 for a round-trip shuttle. It was worth it. The town's nothing much to write home about, though.

Grampie
03-14-2008, 09:48
After readng all the posts and thinkig back to my hike and having to pick one; It's going to by Standing Bear Farm. I stayed in 2001 the first week they were open. I pictured it as to what an AT hostel should be like.:sun

Almost There
03-14-2008, 09:51
Seriously! I was looking forward to staying there -- until I called and learned that it would involve a 700 foot descent, which I'd have to climb back up the next morning. :(

I ended up in Buena Vista the following day. Paid $20 for a round-trip shuttle. It was worth it. The town's nothing much to write home about, though.

I agree that the town isn't that great, but riding in a shuttle beats a needless 700 foot ascent in hot weather!

minnesotasmith
03-14-2008, 10:44
After readng all the posts and thinkig back to my hike and having to pick one; It's going to by Standing Bear Farm. I stayed in 2001 the first week they were open. I pictured it as to what an AT hostel should be like.:sun

Yes, it had an interesting ambience, was in a pretty area, had a fair honor-system resupply storeroom, was conveniently close to the Trail (at the same elevation!), not expensive, offered some work-for-stay, had a decent kitchen, plus washer/dryer. However, it's in BFE, the advertised Internet was broken long-term, the bunks had worse (Thermarest-threatening) splinters than I ever saw in a Trail shelter, the hot water for the shower was unreliable at best, and word from a hiker whose word I trust was that wood for the stove was grossly rationed in cold weather.

Oh, and to be completely fair, before I ever got there, Curtis graciously pulled over for me in the middle of shuttling other hikers and gave (well, inexpensively sold) me a ride earlier along the Trail.

It wasn't up to the standards of the Hikers Welcome hostel, say, but was a fair place to clean up, and then head back out.

canoehead
03-14-2008, 10:55
Hmmmm
I'd have to say the Casa De Eliza in Quito, Ecuador
Nice place to chill before a big climb

Almost There
03-14-2008, 11:01
:-?
Yes, it had an interesting ambience, was in a pretty area, had a fair honor-system resupply storeroom, was conveniently close to the Trail (at the same elevation!), not expensive, offered some work-for-stay, had a decent kitchen, plus washer/dryer. However, it's in BFE, the advertised Internet was broken long-term, the bunks had worse (Thermarest-threatening) splinters than I ever saw in a Trail shelter, the hot water for the shower was unreliable at best, and word from a hiker whose word I trust was that wood for the stove was grossly rationed in cold weather.

Oh, and to be completely fair, before I ever got there, Curtis graciously pulled over for me in the middle of shuttling other hikers and gave (well, inexpensively sold) me a ride earlier along the Trail.

It wasn't up to the standards of the Hikers Welcome hostel, say, but was a fair place to clean up, and then head back out.

Sometimes you give the impression that you are just one miserable feck! You can find fault with just about anything.

Unless, you learn some tact...trust me...you will never find a woman to put up with your krap!....and I mean that in the most respectful of ways!:D

minnesotasmith
03-14-2008, 11:27
You can find fault with just about anything.

Unless, you learn some tact...trust me...you will never find a woman to put up with your krap!....and I mean that in the most respectful of ways!:D

1) Trail hostels are places of business. It is only being honest to enumerate their negatives as well as positives. The conversation on this thread is not being limited by other posters to just puff pieces; why should I do so?

Oh, and I have a woman in my life, as I usually do.

warraghiyagey
03-14-2008, 11:31
Ahhh, the simple innocuous title 'What is your favorite hostel' (seems innocuous enough) has turned into a pissin match. Shocker:rolleyes:

minnesotasmith
03-14-2008, 11:33
Ahhh, the simple innocuous title 'What is your favorite hostel' (seems innocuous enough) has turned into a pissin match. Shocker:rolleyes:

It's WhiteBlaze. ;)

mudhead
03-14-2008, 11:34
I snapped again. No being my abnormal self.

rafe
03-14-2008, 11:37
I still think you need an ethnic lay.

That, and a frontal lobotomy.

warraghiyagey
03-14-2008, 11:38
It's WhiteBlaze. ;)

That's like blaming the book for the typos.

Almost There
03-14-2008, 12:01
1) Trail hostels are places of business. It is only being honest to enumerate their negatives as well as positives. The conversation on this thread is not being limited by other posters to just puff pieces; why should I do so?

Oh, and I have a woman in my life, as I usually do.

You're a tighty whitey type of guy aren't ya' Minnie?:eek::jump Ol' tried and true.

BTW, it isn't just this thread, but just about every thread you post on champie;)....but I think you already know that.

9 Mules
03-14-2008, 12:48
Quit telling lies MS.
I read your journal entry at SBF and it is totally opposite of what you're saying. You got a free ride to Newfound Gap with no money being asked for. The only reason you got the ride cause you reminded Curtis of a girl he dated. There was a county wide power outage when you visited ='s no Internet/running water/showers (on a well system) and SBF is surrounded by National Forest, haul your own wood. Every bunk as a mattress.
The reason you got divorced was cause you believed Y2K would happen, cashed in all your chips and your women left your dumb ass.
Hell as a long arm.

Almost There
03-14-2008, 12:57
Quit telling lies MS. You got a free ride to Newfound Gap with no money being asked for. The only reason you got the ride cause you reminded Curtis of a girl he dated.:eek:

Oh my god!!! That is some funny shiite!:jump Athough I gotta have a talk with Curtis if he used to date wimmin that look like MS!:eek:

minnesotasmith
03-14-2008, 13:00
Quit telling lies MS.
I read your journal entry at SBF and it is totally opposite of what you're saying. You got a free ride to Newfound Gap with no money being asked for. The only reason you got the ride cause you reminded Curtis of a girl he dated. There was a county wide power outage when you visited ='s no Internet/running water/showers (on a well system) and SBF is surrounded by National Forest, haul your own wood. Every bunk as a mattress.
The reason you got divorced was cause you believed Y2K would happen, cashed in all your chips and your women left your dumb ass.
Hell as a long arm.

1) I paid Curtis for that ride. The reason he gave me for stopping to pick me up differs from yours, so either you're a liar (already established in your last post) or he was. Occam's Razor...

2) The internet didn't work at SBF BC half the fricking computer was missing (with DUST on the exposed connecting parts of what was left). Power outage causing it my @ss.

3) My ex-wife and I had the same POV about Y2K. We were together 3 more years after it, and I left her over something else. We remain in cordial contact today.

4) I try to be as positive as possible in hostel register entries to encourage the operators.

5) A friend of mine overheard within the last couple weeks Curtis discussing me with someone else. "Grudging respect" was how he described the content, not "I'll strangle the SOB if I ever see him again for saying I was like Uncle Johnny".

You can't possibly be in any career field where honesty is the norm. What are you in, politics, law, gov't, used car sales, chiropractic, televangelism?

John B
03-14-2008, 13:01
Quit telling lies MS.
The only reason you got the ride cause you reminded Curtis of a girl he dated.

Suddenly I'm worried about Curtis... :-?

Almost There
03-14-2008, 13:02
Oooohh! Wait let me get some snacks!

Bare Bear
03-14-2008, 13:17
I too could list a few but aren't they all 'the best' in their own way? I always felt it was the people that made them great. I include the other hikers you meet after weeks of seeing their names in the shelter logs then you catch up or they catch you.

Pony
03-14-2008, 13:19

Yeah, lousy judgement on my part, I should have known better than to start such a controversial thread. ;)

I think next time I will start a thread about puppies and kittens, and see how long it takes for people to get nasty with each other.
Personally, I think kittens are a bunch of left wing, commie, unpatriotic, anti-American, freeloading dopers(catnip) with no morals. And to top it off hair balls are just disgusting, I mean if they want to throw up hair balls in the privacy of their own homes or away from others fine, but don't put the rest of us at risk with second hand hair balls. Those things cause cancer you know!! If you don't believe me just google it there are hundreds of studies that prove it. They also have links to Al Qaida, so if you own a cat, the terrorists win.

Oh and did I mention that they are fascist? Just like Hitler only with fangs.
(not that there is anything wrong with that.):D

Appalachian Tater
03-14-2008, 13:21
Sometimes the truth lies halfway between two extremes.

Sly
03-14-2008, 13:23
Well the thread entitled favorite hostels was doing fine until MS had to interject his criticism of Elmer's. If there's anyone to blame, that' your man

Tin Man
03-14-2008, 13:30
Sometimes the truth lies halfway between two extremes.

Well the thread entitled favorite hostels was doing fine until MS had to interject his criticism of Elmer's. If there's anyone to blame, that' your man

Tater, What's halfway between everyone but MS likes Elmer's? :-?

warren doyle
03-14-2008, 13:31
Levi and Jan Long's Corner Diner hostel in Bastian, VA was my favorite.
Too bad it was one of the several hostels that got closed down with the arrival of the 'partier' subculture within the long-distance hiking population.

StarLyte
03-14-2008, 13:35
Blackburn Trail Center.
Or anywhere on the property.

--TIED WITH Kincora--

"Kincora Hostel is about the closest you'll get to a real hostel on the Appalachian Trail".....quoted by ---- -----

2nd is Ironmasters Mansion, Pine Grove Furnace Pa.
Home of the PA Ruck :D

Rockhound
03-14-2008, 15:36
As the weary hiker takes one last look south to the Smokies, he can gain comfort knowing that Standing Bear Farm lies just a few miles north. The accommodations,though rustic, are comfortable and cozy. The bunkhouse sleeps 14, has a great porch for staying dry while watching summer showers and has a wood stove for keeping warm on those chilly nights. For those who desire a little more comfort or privacy, Standing Bear also offers a cabin that sleeps 6. 2 queen size beds for couples (or very close friends) as well as 2 bunks in the loft. not to be outdone by the bunkhouse, the cabin also offers a newly installed gas fireplace.
The first thing many hikers look forward to when arriving at a hostel is a hot shower and Standing Bear obliges. two showers, one outdoors and one inside, each with plenty of hot water on demand. Clean once again, the next task is filling that growling stomach and the resupply is up to the challenge. It has a wide variety hiker favorites from Oreos and Pringles to Chunky soup and Chili. Also they offer DiGiorno pizzas that are always a big hit with the hikers. If one needs to do laundry there are washtubs complete with scrub boards and a wringer and an electric dryer to use after having gained an appreciation of how our grandparents had to do the wash. It is quick, easy and efficient but if this still seems like too much work one can always wait until Hot Springs which is only 2 or 3 days further north. Internet access is available for keeping in touch with loved ones and updating journals. When finally all the chores are done there is nothing left to do but relax and enjoy your stay. Maybe you would like to play a game of horseshoes, or soak your feet in the stream that runs through the hostel property, or maybe just enjoy your favorite beverage as you swap stories around the campfire with fellow hikers. Whatever you choose to do, you will find Standing Bear Farm a welcoming, laid back place to take a day or two off the trail while not really getting off the trail. Did I mention it's only 250 yards off the AT?

Rockhound
03-14-2008, 15:48

1) all the bunks have mattresses (no splinters) 2) the internet works fine (was the power out?) blame the TVA. 3) the porch on the bunkhouse is fully stocked with wood (perhaps you shouldn't make assumptions). Overall Standing Bear Farm is the best hostel on the trail in my opinion

rafe
03-14-2008, 17:06
Levi and Jan Long's Corner Diner hostel in Bastian, VA was my favorite.

It was a pit when I stayed there in 1990. Disgusting. Enjoyed the "Trailburger" and Levi's fiddle playing, but the hostel was just awful.

Appalachian Tater
03-14-2008, 17:28
Tater, What's halfway between everyone but MS likes Elmer's? :-? I don't know, never thought about it. I was, of course, referring to the widely varying assessments of Standing Bear Farm, which was the only hostel mentioned specifically by name in at least a dozen posts prior to mine. (Well, two dozen if you don't count the one in Quito.) I've never been there, but I didn't appreciate them painting rocks on the trail.

As far as Elmer's, I really enjoyed my stay there and would consider it a "don't miss" place to stay. The atmosphere and people were nice, I felt at home, the food was really good. Everyone without exception enjoyed their stay while I was there, and I never hear anyone say anything bad about the place except that it was already full. I was really impressed with Elmer's long-term commitment to creating the atmosphere of a Victorian boarding house in the heyday of Hot Springs. The employees take turns creating the menu and supervising the kitchen.

I do have a criticism, though. It was a little dusty in places. White-glove wearing Leona Helmsley would likely have been even more dissatisfied than MinnesotaSmith in that respect. A good dusting and a vacuuming would spruce the place up a bit.

minnesotasmith
03-14-2008, 19:34
1) all the bunks have mattresses (no splinters) 2) the internet works fine (was the power out?)...

No mattresses there when I was there in 2006. Too, the internet was nonfunctional BC half the computer was missing, and had been long enough for the parts that would have been covered by being connected to collect a fair patina of dust. Plus, I said that it was another hiker that told me about the wood situation. When I was there, it was warm enough that heat wasn't a major issue. Lastly, if the power was out (to cause shower hot water to not always be available), the lights wouldn't have worked. They did, so it was some other, apparently longer-term issue causing the hot water supply to be limited or absent.

I haven't said not to stay at SBF, just that it had lacks when I was there. If they've been improved upon since then, that's great; that section of Trail certainly can use a hostel.

Erin
03-14-2008, 20:40
I stayed at Elmer's as a section hiker last spring with our group of seven. I chose it blind because we had two vegetarians in our group and staying in an old house looked fun. I thought the food was great and there was plenty of it. The "commie" dinner table question was "if you could could have lived in another era, when and why?" No criticism. We stayed there two nights, going in and coming out. Sunny, the lady was so helpful. We met thru and section hikers there that helped us with our gear which was done in the sitting room with wine. And there was some hiker crashed on the lawn in his sleeping bag. Our group included a prosecuting attorney, a social worker, banker, artist, zookeeper, a research scientist and an engineer. We loved the place.

fiddlehead
03-14-2008, 21:12
Quit telling lies MS.
Hell as a long arm.

Ahh the entertainment value of this website. Sure beats the World News on Thai TV for my morning coffee!

rafe
03-14-2008, 21:21
Blackburn Trail Center.
Or anywhere on the property.

--TIED WITH Kincora--

"Kincora Hostel is about the closest you'll get to a real hostel on the Appalachian Trail".....quoted by ---- -----

2nd is Ironmasters Mansion, Pine Grove Furnace Pa.
Home of the PA Ruck :D

Positive experiences here with Blackburn and Ironmasters. Never been to Kincorra. Redwing and Hopeful were gracious hosts last summer at Blackburn. It was a beautiful evening, I slept in my tent on the lawn.

Heater
03-14-2008, 22:50
No mattresses there when I was there in 2006. Too, the internet was nonfunctional BC half the computer was missing, and had been long enough for the parts that would have been covered by being connected to collect a fair patina of dust. Plus, I said that it was another hiker that told me about the wood situation. When I was there, it was warm enough that heat wasn't a major issue. Lastly, if the power was out (to cause shower hot water to not always be available), the lights wouldn't have worked. They did, so it was some other, apparently longer-term issue causing the hot water supply to be limited or absent.

I haven't said not to stay at SBF, just that it had lacks when I was there. If they've been improved upon since then, that's great; that section of Trail certainly can use a hostel.

I have been reserved, but has anyone ever told you that you are dick?

Just wonderin'....

Heater
03-14-2008, 22:55
It was a pit when I stayed there in 1990. Disgusting. Enjoyed the "Trailburger" and Levi's fiddle playing, but the hostel was just awful.

OK. 8 years ago they sucked but the music was good?

Heater
03-14-2008, 22:59
Ahh the entertainment value of this website. Sure beats the World News on Thai TV for my morning coffee!

In heard MJ and PP had a two headed baby. :eek::-?;)

minnesotasmith
03-14-2008, 23:07
I have been reserved, but has anyone ever told you that you are dick?

Just wonderin'....

People who find my logic and observations inconvenient, but can't refute them, so respond with anger and ad hom insults.

What was it Ayn Rand said, about an honest man has to be able to hold his position, no matter the whole world shouts at him to change his mind?

GGS2
03-14-2008, 23:10
What was it Ayn Rand said, about an honest man has to be able to hold his position, no matter the whole world shouts at him to change his mind?

Ahh, that's what that flavor is! I thought I recognized it. :)

chief
03-14-2008, 23:18
I forget the name, but take a right at Dennis Cove. They had a price on everything, none of that phony "donations accepted" crap.

Lugnut
03-14-2008, 23:33
Laurel Creek. It will never be Kincora.

Appalachian Tater
03-15-2008, 00:03
I forget the name, but take a right at Dennis Cove. They had a price on everything, none of that phony "donations accepted" crap."Donations accepted" may be phony at some places, but not at Kincora. It is in no way a business.

rafe
03-15-2008, 00:18
OK. 8 years ago they sucked but the music was good?

I dunno. Place I stayed in Bastian oughtn't be called a hostel. Just some big old room with ratty mattresses on the floor. Smelly and trashy. I was in desperate need of a shower, and there wasn't one. I'd have happily paid for a motel room, but that wasn't an option. Two or three days later... Tillie's place... still no shower... finally got one in Pearisburg. Jeebus, hot water never felt so good. I just about cried.

Sly
03-15-2008, 00:22
People who find my logic and observations inconvenient, but can't refute them, so respond with anger and ad hom insults.

What logic? You want everything for next to nothing. If you ever decide to hike the trail again, don't expect too many welcomes.

minnesotasmith
03-15-2008, 00:27
If you ever decide to hike the trail again, don't expect too many welcomes.

Such as at the Hiker Hostel, Neels Gap, Blueberry Patch, or Kincora?

Heater
03-15-2008, 00:27

Yeah, but Ayn Rand probably would have still thought you were a dick.

Just like everyone else.

Just sayin'...

Sly
03-15-2008, 00:37
Such as at the Hiker Hostel, Neels Gap, Blueberry Patch, or Kincora?

Oh what you send them your Katahdin picture? :rolleyes: BFD.

Tin Man
03-15-2008, 00:45
Austexs and Sly,

Perhaps this is helpful...

Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.
Ayn Rand (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/aynrand125048.html)

warraghiyagey
03-15-2008, 04:25
You can't possibly be in any career field where honesty is the norm. What are you in, politics, law, gov't, used car sales, chiropractic, televangelism?

Is a fat televangelist a 'Teletubby?'

Does he wear purple?

mrc237
03-15-2008, 07:08
Hosteling to me is just that! You get what you pay for. I try to remember that every time I'm getting close to one. My Favorite: The Backtrack Inn in Unionville NY ::: No water=no shower=no toilet after Inn closes. It does have electricity and the Inn offers fine food and drink. Great Happy Hour! The plan: Shower at Jim Murray's (stayed there as well, my second favorite hostel) hike the 2 miles to The Backtrack find a barstool enjoy! Roll out - find a bunk - passout! Remember what Tom Bodett of Motel 6 said: "When you go to sleep at night every hotel looks the same". Someone once told me that they needed to drop a duece while staying at BI and the Inn was closed: He climbed into the dumpster and dumped there. Now thats hosteling!

minnesotasmith
03-15-2008, 07:36
About why the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, Neels Gap, the Blueberry Patch in Hiawassee, and Kincora are likely to not mind seeing me stay at their hostels again:

Oh what you send them your Katahdin picture? :rolleyes: BFD.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33369

Posts #18 & 76.

woodsy
03-15-2008, 07:50
What logic? You want everything for next to nothing. If you ever decide to hike the trail again, don't expect too many welcomes.
10-4 that.
With all the trail maintenance/hostel bashing smith has done here, he would need to change his name, pierce his nose, tongue and eyebrows, tatoo his legs, arms and neck, grow a beard and mustache, all in order to disguise himself enough so as not to be recognized as Minnesotasmith:eek:.
Recommend name change to MinnesotaDick.

warraghiyagey
03-15-2008, 15:57
10-4 that.
With all the trail maintenance/hostel bashing smith has done here, he would need to change his name, pierce his nose, tongue and eyebrows, tatoo his legs, arms and neck, grow a beard and mustache, all in order to disguise himself enough so as not to be recognized as Minnesotasmith:eek:.
Recommend name change to MinnesotaDick.
So there's that then.

:p

IronmastersMansion
05-20-2008, 18:30
Hey can we vote? Our favorite hostel is....(drum roll).....Ironmasters Mansion in Gardners PA...But then we may be biased. Hope others have had a fun time there. Thanks to everyone who has rolled through and congratulated us on our changes.