PDA

View Full Version : computer access along trail?? help

Bewildered
03-12-2008, 18:41
This question is geared toured past thru hikers of the past 3 years. I guess yogi’s guidebook could help me answer these questions, but I figured that this would be a great place to seek more then just the normal written answer.

Sadly succumbing to the digital age, I find myself rethinking the products that I am bringing on my 08 NOBO hike. I have a digital camera and a cell phone now, both require computers (USB hookups) to recharge them. So what towns have public computer access, or hostels, and what sections of the trail don’t have public computer access for long durations of time?

Thanks for any and all help.

Pease, love, & Johnny cash
Bewildered SOBO AT 05

Panzer1
03-12-2008, 19:54
I have 3 batteries for my camera. They only weigh about a half ounce each. That will last a long time between recharging. I got the extra batteries for Christmas.

The multiple batteries also help when I go on vacation. I can go crazy with the flash and just throw in a new battery when I need it.

Panzer

Ron Haven
03-12-2008, 23:02
This question is geared toured past thru hikers of the past 3 years. I guess yogi’s guidebook could help me answer these questions, but I figured that this would be a great place to seek more then just the normal written answer.

Sadly succumbing to the digital age, I find myself rethinking the products that I am bringing on my 08 NOBO hike. I have a digital camera and a cell phone now, both require computers (USB hookups) to recharge them. So what towns have public computer access, or hostels, and what sections of the trail don’t have public computer access for long durations of time?

Pease, love, & Johnny cash
Bewildered SOBO AT 05I have computers at Budget Inn in Franklin http://havensbudgetinn.com/

Dranoel
03-12-2008, 23:10
I have computers at Budget Inn in Franklin http://havensbudgetinn.com/

You are slightly off the beaten trail for us PCTer's. :)

TwoForty
03-13-2008, 00:31
I have computers at Budget Inn in Franklin http://havensbudgetinn.com/

That's gonna be a tough hitch ;)

Sly
03-13-2008, 01:04
Sadly succumbing to the digital age, I find myself rethinking the products that I am bringing on my 08 NOBO hike. I have a digital camera and a cell phone now, both require computers (USB hookups) to recharge them.

Sans computer, here's a DIY project

http://www.instructables.com/id/MintyBoost!---Small-battery-powered-USB-charger/

Or you could also consider carrying a Solio

http://www.solio.com/charger/

Mr. Parkay
03-13-2008, 01:13
Hello,

A good solution would be to to carry a USB wall charger, which you could plug in whenever you find a power socket. They don't weigh much, and it would be much more convenient than looking for a computer to charge things. Also, you can get portable USB chargers that use AA batteries, which is even more convenient, but can get expensive.

You will find computers in a lot of trail stops along the PCT, but probably not often enough if you are relying upon them to charge your devices.

Sly
03-13-2008, 01:21
Hey Mr Parkay, did I see you in a pic taken in Stehekin, WA?

Edit: Never mind, I see you thru-hiked last year. I didn't realize that.

Panzer1
03-13-2008, 01:22
How long of a hike are you talking about?

Panzer

Mr. Parkay
03-13-2008, 01:36
With regard to the camera, I would highly recommend bringing one that uses AA or AAA batteries. This will save you a lot of hassle in the long run since you can easily carry backup batteries, they are available in every town and you never have to charge them. Also, you can use lithium batteries, which are 30% lighter than normal batteries, they last longer, and they can easily withstand extreme hot and cold temperatures... unlike standard rechargeable batteries.

When I hiked the AT I used a Canon camera with a rechargeable battery... this was annoying since the battery kept dieing at times when it was inconvenient to recharge. On the PCT I carried a Canon with AA batteries, which was a lot more practical and I would never go back.

chris
03-13-2008, 10:04
It doesn't seem like anyone actually answered his question (except for a 2500 mile hitch) about which towns have access, so I thought I'd try. These are the towns I went to. Other people might have different info. Of course, a No answer might be a Yes answer if you looked a little bit.

Lake Morena: No
Mount Laguna: No
Warner Springs: No
Idyllwild: Probably
Big Bear: Yes
Agua Dulce: Yes
Mojave: Yes
Kennedy Meadows: No
VVR: Yes (very pricey)
Tuolumne: No
South Lake Tahoe: No
Sierra City: No
Belden: No
Chester: Yes
Burney Falls SP: No (but probably yes in Burney)
Dunsmuir: Yes
Seiad Valley: No
Ashland: Yes
Crater Lake: No
Sisters: Yes
Cascade Locks: Yes
White Pass: No
Snoqulamie Pass: No
Skykomish: No (but yes in Leavenworth)
Stehekin: Maybe.

Bewildered
03-17-2008, 11:15
Thanks for the replies folks. I like all the feed back.

Chris thanks for the list. I like it

Bewildered
03-17-2008, 11:35
How long of a hike are you talking about?

Panzer

thru-hike, start may14th or 15th