PDA

View Full Version : Jumping In?

Cai
03-12-2008, 23:01
I'm trying to figure out where the best place to start here on the forums is. This looks like a busy, active place, which is great. I don't want to step on any toes, though, by responding when nobody knows who I am.

Is there a general place to start, like an intro thread or something? Maybe I'm just missing it.

Lone Wolf
03-12-2008, 23:06
I'm trying to figure out where the best place to start here on the forums is. This looks like a busy, active place, which is great. I don't want to step on any toes, though, by responding when nobody knows who I am.

Is there a general place to start, like an intro thread or something? Maybe I'm just missing it.

here is fine or GENERAL forum. nobody steps on toes like me :) feel free to ask questions and/or respond

Jan LiteShoe
03-12-2008, 23:07

First of all, :welcome to WB.
I believe there is an intro thread somewhere, let's look around or maybe someone will chime in.
A good place to start is also to click on Forums and look for a topic that grabs you, then jump in. Nothing ventured... we've all stepped on SOMEbody's toes. Luckily, hiker feet are strong.
:)

Jan LiteShoe
03-12-2008, 23:08
here is fine or GENERAL forum. nobody steps on toes like me :) feel free to ask questions and/or respond

Yes, meet Lone Wolf, Champion Toe Stepper, and King of Pith.

Lone Wolf
03-12-2008, 23:10
Yes, meet Lone Wolf, King of Pith...

.. and FOS

Jan LiteShoe
03-12-2008, 23:14
.. and FOS

FOS=Full of Sunshine.
Well, you're the expert around here. Isn't there an intro thread?

Tinker
03-12-2008, 23:17
Shin kicker is more like it! :)

Cai
03-12-2008, 23:22
Wow, I thought this place looked active!
So from the sounds of things, I can just start posting and nobody will be asking who I am or where I suddenly came from. Great! :)

Now I just have to learn my way around. I use a lot of forums, but none so organised as this one!

bloodmountainman
03-12-2008, 23:26
Hey...... who are you??? and where did you come from?????
Got that out of the way!!!!!
This site is a blast!! Have fun.:welcome

GGS2
03-12-2008, 23:29
Lone Wolf wants to know if you're a pack sniffer or a real hiker.

Lone Wolf
03-12-2008, 23:30
Lone Wolf wants to know if you're a pack sniffer or a real hiker.

nope. not at all. disregard these kinda posts

Tinker
03-12-2008, 23:32
We'll figure out who you are soon, and then we'll tell you all about yourself.

You're from Allentown.

Welcome :D

Cai
03-12-2008, 23:36
We'll figure out who you are soon, and then we'll tell you all about yourself.

You're from Allentown.

Welcome :D

I am (but please don't start singing Billy Joel at me :p). I'm glad to know everyone will start knowing more about me than I do about myself. :) Sometimes that's hard to figure out. ;)

Tinker
03-12-2008, 23:49
So, are you a real hiker, or do you just play one on tv?

Cai
03-12-2008, 23:55
I suppose just yet I'm not a "real" hiker - I've done a number of weekends and overnights, and one weeklong trip, but that's it so far.

The plan is to graduate college next May, and head out southbound mid-June. (I'm taking a year off before med school, but only a year, so the timing doesn't work for a northbound hike.)

Tinker
03-13-2008, 00:06
I guess "real" hiker is in the eye of the beholder. If you've done a week long trip, you've probably experienced a "real" hike. If you plan a hike even though rain is forecast, hoping for the best, but it rains all week, AND you still enjoy yourself and hate the thought of going home even though it's still raining, you just might be a hiking addict, or, a "real" hiker. Some of us passed up the chance to do a thru when we were young and have to be satisfied with a week or two here and there.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2008, 00:08
If you plan a hike even though rain is forecast, hoping for the best, but it rains all week,

then you're a dumbass.

Cai
03-13-2008, 00:23
then you're a dumbass.

Agreed. Hope for the best, but don't plan on it.

However, I got rained on for 4 of the 6 days of the weeklong hike I did. Thankfully, most of the rain was spaced out by sunny periods so we could dry gear, but yeah, everything we had was wet. I was wet. But there was no point in getting upset - that wouldn't make the rain stop. We hiked anyway.

I wish it wasn't so cold right now - I'd go do an overnight on one of my free weekends. I'm not 20 minutes from an AT road crossing. Guess it'll have to wait a few more weeks.

Fahrenheit
03-13-2008, 00:26
I suppose just yet I'm not a "real" hiker - I've done a number of weekends and overnights, and one weeklong trip, but that's it so far.

The plan is to graduate college next May, and head out southbound mid-June. (I'm taking a year off before med school, but only a year, so the timing doesn't work for a northbound hike.)

As someone about to graduate from med school, I can only say good luck and get out hiking while you can! You will cherish the memories when you are stuck studying day in and day out.

travis71
03-13-2008, 16:24
then you're a dumbass.

HAR!!!!

LW, did I see you inquiring on the hammock forums about buying a hammock???

Trav

Jan LiteShoe
03-13-2008, 17:47
then you're a dumbass.

Toe-stepping pith. What did I tell ya...
:D