PDA

View Full Version : I'm new here...

Thru Hiker Wife
03-13-2008, 00:13
I've read WB fairly frequently since the missing hiker ordeal and as we came closer to my husband starting his thru hike but this is my first time posting here. Well, today was the big day! Dropped him off at Springer this morning and he's off and hiking. Will see him one last time next week in Hiawassee and then not again until he comes off the trail--whenever that may be. I'm just wondering if any other thru hiker wives are on this forum? Any suggestions for helping the family of a thru hiker cope? Truth be told, I guess I'm just looking for some support. I wanted him to do this as it's been a longstanding dream (since before we met) and I want this dream to come true while he has the chance. On the other hand, it's also somewhat self serving as I don't want him to resent me later. I think I'm just considered on all fronts...his safety, missing him, financial strain, me resenting him, MONTHS ALONE, blah, blah, blah. So wondering if I can maybe find my way into this "little" family for love, support and maybe even gain a better understanding of his drive to do this. Hope you all don't mind me crashing the party too much.

Survivor Dave
03-13-2008, 00:28
:welcome

What is your Husbands Trail Name?

Maybe the Moderator in charge might move this to the Womens forum. I think you could get straight forward advice without the others throwing your topic about:D.

SD

I've read WB fairly frequently since the missing hiker ordeal and as we came closer to my husband starting his thru hike but this is my first time posting here. Well, today was the big day! Dropped him off at Springer this morning and he's off and hiking. Will see him one last time next week in Hiawassee and then not again until he comes off the trail--whenever that may be. I'm just wondering if any other thru hiker wives are on this forum? Any suggestions for helping the family of a thru hiker cope? Truth be told, I guess I'm just looking for some support. I wanted him to do this as it's been a longstanding dream (since before we met) and I want this dream to come true while he has the chance. On the other hand, it's also somewhat self serving as I don't want him to resent me later. I think I'm just considered on all fronts...his safety, missing him, financial strain, me resenting him, MONTHS ALONE, blah, blah, blah. So wondering if I can maybe find my way into this "little" family for love, support and maybe even gain a better understanding of his drive to do this. Hope you all don't mind me crashing the party too much.

ed bell
03-13-2008, 00:28
Welcome:welcome. I'm sure you can find the support you are looking for here. Give it some time and submit your posts often. :sun

Thru Hiker Wife
03-13-2008, 00:40
He actually doesn't have a trail name yet. He opted to take the gamble and see what he ended up with once he hit the trail. He was always on WB and posted rarely but some of you know him as Runsalone.

Roland
03-13-2008, 03:22
THW,

Welcome to WB.

I was going to recommend this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32221), but I see that you've found it already.

You say that you encouraged your husband to hike, because you want him to fulfill his dream, while he still has the chance. Then you go on to describe that as self-serving and you are concerned that your hubby might resent you for it.

I don't understand this. From my point-of-view, your support and encouragement is anything but selfish. I can't imagine your husband ever resenting you for it.

He should be grateful for your support and be thankful you are there to raise his family and pay the bills in his absence.

TOW
03-13-2008, 06:39
Welcome THW, I think you will find the support that you are seeking right here. Plus another, and even better support to help you thru this abscence from your loved one is PRAYER!!!!

dixicritter
03-13-2008, 07:25

Welcome to WhiteBlaze Thru hiker Wife! :) Nice to meet you. I am currently in the exact same position as you. My husband, SGT Rock, is currently on his thru hike and I am holding down the home front once again.

I have a bit of experience with long separations prior to this however due to Rock's Army career so if you need an ear feel free to contact me. :)

Jan LiteShoe
03-13-2008, 07:39
I've read WB fairly frequently since the missing hiker ordeal and as we came closer to my husband starting his thru hike but this is my first time posting here. Well, today was the big day! Dropped him off at Springer this morning ... snip ... So wondering if I can maybe find my way into this "little" family for love, support and maybe even gain a better understanding of his drive to do this. Hope you all don't mind me crashing the party too much.

Hi,

I think this thread is a great idea. I hiked with Finch in the northeast on my '03 thru-hike, and his wife Judy was supporting him from Vermont on. He'd just retired. They were also building their retirement cabin in Maine, so she'd pick him up on weekends and they'd return to work on the Maine house.

Judy would also talk frankly with us about her various thought processes concerning the hike, and that's when I thought -"there should be a thread for spouses" (Not all home-alone spouses are women, Dave!). I mentioned it to Trailjournals, but they never picked up on it. So I'm glad the idea has come home to White Blaze.
I think you'll be surprised at how much info hikers will be able to give you about his hike, or assistance in hooking up.

As for why I did it, that's a hard thing to explain. Something gets under your skin and has to be worked out.
Hiking is a very healthy way to do that. Besides the health benefits, people have even been known to evolve during a hike! :eek:
:)
Welcome to White Blaze, and thanks for starting the thread.:)

Thru Hiker Wife
03-13-2008, 08:20
THW,

Welcome to WB.

I was going to recommend this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32221), but I see that you've found it already.

You say that you encouraged your husband to hike, because you want him to fulfill his dream, while he still has the chance. Then you go on to describe that as self-serving and you are concerned that your hubby might resent you for it.

I don't understand this. From my point-of-view, your support and encouragement is anything but selfish. I can't imagine your husband ever resenting you for it.

He should be grateful for your support and be thankful you are there to raise his family and pay the bills in his absence.

Ahhh, I spologize for the misunderstanding. I was trying to say that my support was somewhat self-serving because I was afraid if I didn't support him he wouldn't go and then down the road might resent me for it. You all may need to excuse any late night posts as I'm not the night owl I used to be and sometimes don't think things through all the way (oboviously).:rolleyes:

Thank you for all the support and warm welcome. Runsalone assured me that I would find it here on my lonely nights and I'm sure last night was just the first of many.:p

BTW, iron that SGT Rock was mentioned as we have been tracking his progress. :banana

KG4FAM
03-13-2008, 10:12
Make sure to get yourself a copy of a guidebook so you can follow along.

Thoughtful Owl
03-13-2008, 10:52
Welcome to WB. I am sure not only the women here on WB but the men too will be a support and encouragement team for you. Is your husband keeping a Trail Journal? WB is a "family" and we all watch out for one another, at home and on the trail.

warraghiyagey
03-13-2008, 11:05
Welcome THW. :welcome:welcome

Hope you find it homey and friendly here. Keep us up to date on your hubby's progress and this can be your little home away from home while you're home.:):confused::)

Compass
03-13-2008, 11:12
Here is a Journal of a "Hiking Widow" from last year. The husband also kept a Trailjournal.

www.trailjournals.com/JenMcGarrahan (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5069)

Thru Hiker Wife
03-13-2008, 12:34
Thanks so much for this Compass. I actually have started reading this and even started my own. No trailjournal for the hubby. Will be posting progress reports for him on mine as well as updates on the home front.

http://www.trailjournals.com/ThruHikerWife/

Maybe a later date I'll help him get his up but that's up to him.

Here is a Journal of a "Hiking Widow" from last year. The husband also kept a Trailjournal.

www.trailjournals.com/JenMcGarrahan (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5069)

dixicritter
03-13-2008, 12:38
That's probably a better idea than what we did...LOL. Just kidding y'all don't stone me. ;)

Thru Hiker Wife
03-13-2008, 12:45
No!!!:eek:

It all helps really! Just exploring every avenue. I'm apparently the whiny wife cause between his leaving and a few other things that blew up yesterday, I haven't slept much. No one that we know personally can really understand why he's doing this or why I'm "allowing" it. Right now, I just feel like I need more support other than people telling me they won't make negative comments. So reading someone else's experience as well as posting here is at least giving me a base of people who understand one side or the other. Thanks everyone!

That's probably a better idea than what we did...LOL. Just kidding y'all don't stone me. ;)

dixicritter
03-13-2008, 13:12
No!!!:eek:

It all helps really! Just exploring every avenue. I'm apparently the whiny wife cause between his leaving and a few other things that blew up yesterday, I haven't slept much. No one that we know personally can really understand why he's doing this or why I'm "allowing" it. Right now, I just feel like I need more support other than people telling me they won't make negative comments. So reading someone else's experience as well as posting here is at least giving me a base of people who understand one side or the other. Thanks everyone!

~hugs~ Been there, done that. It's difficult to answer the "why are you letting him do that?" question. What I usually do is say it is something he needs to do right now and leave it at that. Of course folks that know me know I always support Rock no matter what and if I say he needs to do it and it's OK with me... it is OK with me end of discussion.

You are going to have a bad day every once in a while. You are going to blow off some steam too. Don't try to bottle it up. That only makes things worse... for you. I found building something helped work off some of that pent up anger. Or scream into a pillow... whatever works for you.

Just remember, you aren't the first person to feel like this. What you are feeling is totally normal. You are not crazy... you're not even going crazy, yet. ;) Oh and you are not "the whiny wife"! Got that? That's my title. :sun

Now try and get some rest... You're gonna need it. :D

Blissful
03-13-2008, 13:15
My hubby was at home last year while my son and I hiked the trail. He came to be with us when he could, mostly on weekends from Franklin all the way to the VA border. And then a few weeks in NY and CT on the trail. But by the end, when I was pretty far away in Maine, the separation was tough. But he was the one who told me to keep going. We were very glad to have cell phones too. But his support meant the world to me and helped us have a successful hike. And now he wants to go with me in 2011.

Mother Nature
03-13-2008, 13:24
You are in a good place here. There is just about always someone on-line 24/7. :sun.

If you wake up and decide to have a whine-out and need an e-hug just log on. It will come to you very soon. Some WBers never sleep. :p:p

Stay in touch and know that you don't have to explain anything about his desire to hike with anyone here. We all support the both of you.

Thru Hiker Wife
03-13-2008, 13:42
Hugs and kisses to all as your just understanding is a help. And Dixicritter...watch out! I may be about to give you a run for your money!!!

warraghiyagey
03-13-2008, 14:22
~hugs~ ;) Oh and you are not "the whiny wife"! Got that? That's my title. :sun
:D

:welcome:welcome Whiney Wife

:D

dixicritter
03-13-2008, 14:22
Hugs and kisses to all as your just understanding is a help. And Dixicritter...watch out! I may be about to give you a run for your money!!!

Pfffttt... I'm a pro! Bring it on! ;):D

Thru Hiker Wife
03-13-2008, 14:40
LOL...:bananaI'm an old pro and taking refresher courses from my 13 year old. Watch out!;):D

Pfffttt... I'm a pro! Bring it on! ;):D

Rainman
03-13-2008, 15:00
Hey THW, welcome.:welcome

If I met your hub on the trail and he described to me a wife like you, I would name him "Lucky Man" right then.

Hang tough. Inevitably, the man who comes back to you will be a better man than the one who left.

God bless!

Thru Hiker Wife
03-13-2008, 15:20
I know and thank you so much for your kind words. Now if you'll all excuse me a moment, I need to go wipe away the tears and blow my nose AGAIN! The man always said us girls were icky cause we're forever leaking...good thing he's on the trail!

Hey THW, welcome.:welcome

If I met your hub on the trail and he described to me a wife like you, I would name him "Lucky Man" right then.

Hang tough. Inevitably, the man who comes back to you will be a better man than the one who left.

God bless!

Thru Hiker Wife
03-13-2008, 15:21
~HUGS~, Rainman!

rafe
03-13-2008, 16:53
Does hubby have a cell phone? I'll tell you this much -- I found myself alone on many nights last summer, and having that cell phone really helped me keep my head on straight. I wasn't able to use it in all cases -- lots of shelters and campsites are in hollows or out of reach of the nearest cell tower -- but in any case, when it worked, my wife and I both appreciated the chats. She's not a hiker, but within a couple of weeks I could tell she was getting into it -- she'd obviously been tracking my progress in the trail guide and on the maps we'd printed out beforehand. Being reassured of each other's well-being on a frequent basis was a wonderful thing.

max patch
03-13-2008, 17:00
Dropped him off at Springer this morning and he's off and hiking. Will see him one last time next week in Hiawassee and then not again until he comes off the trail--whenever that may be.

We live in the Atlanta area and it is certainly easy for you to meet up if you want to. The trail goes thru or near a lot of small towns. My wife dropped me off on the FS road a couple miles south of Springer; we saw each other at Unicoi Gap (Helen), the Nantahala Outdoor Center, Hot Springs, and Damascus. We then met in the Shenandoah National Park and hiked together 3 or 4 days and then spent 3 or 4 days in DC. That was it until she picked me up at the Amtrack Station.

Thru Hiker Wife
03-13-2008, 17:15
Yes, we do have cell phones and are using them. As you said that's touch and go due to coverage and not wanting to disturb others but we'll use them as we can.

I understand that there are many stops throughout GA. It is a bit difficult to coordinate though as we are having belated b-day celebrations of this weekend for my daughter and the following weekend is Easter. Week days are difficult obviously due to work and a child. Hiawasee will be his last stop in GA and that's in only a week or so. I'm sure all will be fine til then. It's after that I will be the hardest because, unless something changes, we cannot afford for me to drive and meet him elsewhere. So cell phones it is.

rafe
03-13-2008, 18:38
I understand that there are many stops throughout GA.

You ain't seen nothin' yet. ;) Georgia is only 70 miles or so out of 2175. Most thru hikers are done with Georgia in a week or less. Grin and bear it...

Lost My Mind
03-13-2008, 20:05
I'm not a teary wife at home, just a concerned Mom. I have found WB to be a great source of information, but mainly a great source of comfort. I find myself just reading different treads to gather more knowledge and information.

The suggestion of getting the Trailguide book is an excellent one. I have mine, and the pages are almost as worn as Zak's! I always have it at hand when he calls (which has only been one weekend by the way:-?)!!

I also have the AT Distance Calculator on my favorites so I can kind of figure out where he is, and the AT on Google Earth. So see, wives at home aren't the only ones obsessed with where there family members are!

I've been following your TJ. What a great way to record your feelings and thoughts on this journey. If you are like me, and were involved in the plans for this trip, it's your journey as well.

Welcome to the WB family. They seem to take us all in, no questions asked!

dixicritter
03-13-2008, 20:13
Yes, we do have cell phones and are using them. As you said that's touch and go due to coverage and not wanting to disturb others but we'll use them as we can.

Make sure your cell plan has unlimited text messaging. Sometimes even when they can't get a voice call out they can get a text message out to at least let you know where they are. ;)

Thru Hiker Wife
03-13-2008, 20:24
Thanks Dixi! No check in tonight so get he couldn't get anything out.:(

Tomorrow's another day, though!

dixicritter
03-13-2008, 20:31
You ain't seen nothin' yet. ;) Georgia is only 70 miles or so out of 2175. Most thru hikers are done with Georgia in a week or less. Grin and bear it...

Real helpful terrapin... She's getting enough of the "grin and bear it" type comments don't ya think? I realize you probably meant that as a joke, but right now for those of us sitting at home with our spouses/loved ones out there while we worry about them... those types of comments really aren't helpful or funny.

Not trying to be ugly here. :)

dixicritter
03-13-2008, 20:32
Thanks Dixi! No check in tonight so get he couldn't get anything out.:(

Tomorrow's another day, though!

Just wanted to be sure you knew about that. :)

Luckily SGT Rock was able to get a text out tonight. So I did get a check in from him this evening. Sorry you didn't hear from yours.

Gray Blazer
03-13-2008, 21:13
It is a personal journey thing for us guys. Your husbands are lucky/blessed to have wives like you. Now, if the AT had shopping malls all along, my wife would be out there with me. The only time my wife has stepped on the AT was when I took her and our only grandson at the time up to Carver's Gap to play in the snow. "No, honey, it's not out of the way [much]."

rafe
03-13-2008, 21:16
Folks at home gotta understand that the phones won't work, at times. OTOH, except for SNP, I believe there was at least one location, almost every day, where the phone did work. So sometimes I'd just leave a message. In SNP there were pay phones.

rafe
03-13-2008, 21:19
Real helpful terrapin... She's getting enough of the "grin and bear it" type comments don't ya think?

"Thru Hiker Wife" is free to ignore my advice and use TOW's instead (Msg. #6.) :D

wakapak
03-13-2008, 22:47
Welcome THW!!! You will have all the support you may want or need here!! I've never dealt with a loved one out on the trail, but I do remember how my parents were when i was out there!!

Let us know how your hubby's progress goes, and let us know if you need ANYTHING!! I cannot say enough how many helpful, wonderful people are on here!!

Tin Man
03-13-2008, 22:54
I cannot say enough how many helpful, wonderful people are on here!!

And, unfortunately, you will also encounter less than helpful and wonderful people. That is what the ignore button is for. :)

Thru Hiker Wife
03-14-2008, 09:29
LMAO...it'a all good, guys. Today is a better day for me. I think hanging on WB yesterday really helped so thanks again to all. I know Terrapin was joking around but then the truth is the truth, Runsalone will be out of GA in a week of so and that will most likely be the end of our visits. I'm prepared/preparing for that just as I did by understanding cell phones were gonna be patchy. I do wish I could have heard from him last night but he was in "his backyard" so I'm confident that he's just fine and hoping he's enjoying the hell out of himself!:banana

Dixi, glad you were able to talk to Rock last night. My daughter and I spent quite some time reading the thread on here about his adventures. You're man is hauling! I am also trying to get caught up on his TJ. Go, Rock!!!

p.s. If anybody sees him out there dancing like that banana (if he's gonna dance anywhere, it'll be while he's on the trail), PLEASE snap a picture and send it to me.:D

Thru Hiker Wife
03-14-2008, 12:43
Just a quick progress report. The man just checked in. He still has no trail name so just Brad right now. Currently at Woody Gap with a group he's fallen into (Sunbeam, Miss Janet and that's all I can remember at the moment) taken some shelter from their first real rain shower of the day and grabbing some lunch. Brad's shooting to do another 7 miles today to the shelter before Blood Mtn. Everyone's a little concerned about going over Blood tomorrow with the storms so they were looking for a weather report. If this keeps up I'll have to change my screen name to weather girl or something.:D Wish he wasn't hitting Neel's this weekend cause I'd go for a quicky visit otherwise. But alas, life (and b-day parties) must go on. Anyway, all is well. Will post more when I know more.

p.s. I've decided I don't want to be the whiney wife so when I got up this morn I put on my big girl panties!!! ;)

dixicritter
03-14-2008, 12:54
Dixi, glad you were able to talk to Rock last night. My daughter and I spent quite some time reading the thread on here about his adventures. You're man is hauling! I am also trying to get caught up on his TJ. Go, Rock!!!

p.s. If anybody sees him out there dancing like that banana (if he's gonna dance anywhere, it'll be while he's on the trail), PLEASE snap a picture and send it to me.:D

I'm glad you're enjoying his adventures as much as we are. :)

As for dancing up the trail... Rock threatened to dance up it to this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58CJih1iYC0)... LOL. The visual that went along with it was quite hilarious I assure you. ;)

PS. Glad to hear you've heard from your hubby!!

Survivor Dave
03-14-2008, 13:02
I'm glad you're enjoying his adventures as much as we are. :)

As for dancing up the trail... Rock threatened to dance up it to this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58CJih1iYC0)... LOL. The visual that went along with it was quite hilarious I assure you. ;)

PS. Glad to hear you've heard from your hubby!!

Ah yes, the late great Freddy Mercury........I'd pay admission to see Rock sing that!

To The Hiker Wife, Shoot, plenty of opportunity to see him in Hiawassee, Franklin, or the NOC. He's probably feeling the way you are, so don't fret it, he'll be OK. Shoot, Pirate is there at Neels, that will ease his mind with some humor an good food. They even have a phone(not the pay phone) I think!:D

SD

Bare Bear
03-14-2008, 13:27
Your husband will be safer on the Trail than at home.
Years from now you will both be grateful for this time apart while you both accomplish something great. Peace, out.

Thru Hiker Wife
03-14-2008, 13:45

LOL...actually I was referring to my non dancing hubby but I think I would enjoy a pic of Rock dancing up the trail too (as I'm listening to his song...LOL).

SD, no worries here yet. I'll see him in Hiawasee for sure. As I've said before, not sure I'll be able to afford or be able to get away to see him after that. I know Franklin and the NOC aren't far but gas is high and the girl's got school. BTW, if you need a hand with some of that TM you're spreading let me know. If I can help, I'd love to.

BB, don't know that we'll EXACTLY be grateful for the time apart but definitely grateful for the experience, hopefully some new friends and his dream coming true. I'm pretty confident that he's safe for now...after all he's hiked most of GA and and parts of NC enough that it's like our backyard to him. From there, well I have growing confidence that the WB community and other hikers will help with that. Not that he needs to be taken care of, of course. :rolleyes:

Hikerwannabe
03-14-2008, 19:32
Well I am glad to see someone else going through the same feelings that I am about to experiance...I am with you with this on heart and soul...My other half is not leaving until Early June as he is doing Maine to Georgia....But However I have made up my mind to Just BE here and Be supportive. This is something he needs to do for himself and I don't wanna be the sore thumb to stand in the way by any means. All I Can Say Is BE there...Support Him And His Mission You Will Feel Much Better In The End.....Contact Me if you need to talk or Vent..............

Thru Hiker Wife
03-14-2008, 23:55
I've found that thus far (my whole BIG 3 days into it) that is exactly true so I'm doing my best and it's helping us all and if you need a friend when your hubby gets started or even before, I'm right here.

Well I am glad to see someone else going through the same feelings that I am about to experiance...I am with you with this on heart and soul...My other half is not leaving until Early June as he is doing Maine to Georgia....But However I have made up my mind to Just BE here and Be supportive. This is something he needs to do for himself and I don't wanna be the sore thumb to stand in the way by any means. All I Can Say Is BE there...Support Him And His Mission You Will Feel Much Better In The End.....Contact Me if you need to talk or Vent..............

Mother Nature
03-16-2008, 17:37

Hope this link works. I found Runsalone on Cowrock Mountain today. Great day in the woods! He was astonished when I walked up to him and asked if he was "Runsalone". :D

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/3/3/0/0/runalone_and_mother_nature_on_cowrock_mtn_1_1_thum b.jpg

Thru Hiker Wife
03-16-2008, 20:59
Thanks, MN. Got the pic and even included it in the TJ update today. He is totally perplexed that you knew it was him. He keeps texting asking if I'm SURE I didn't describe his appearance in detail or upload a pic...LMAO. He's always told me it's a small world in the hiker sommunity and here we have it first hand. Thanks again!

Hope this link works. I found Runsalone on Cowrock Mountain today. Great day in the woods! He was astonished when I walked up to him and asked if he was "Runsalone". :D

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/3/3/0/0/runalone_and_mother_nature_on_cowrock_mtn_1_1_thum b.jpg

Mother Nature
03-16-2008, 21:38
Thanks, MN. Got the pic and even included it in the TJ update today. He is totally perplexed that you knew it was him. He keeps texting asking if I'm SURE I didn't describe his appearance in detail or upload a pic...LMAO. He's always told me it's a small world in the hiker sommunity and here we have it first hand. Thanks again!

That is so funny. I didn't have a clue what he looked like but I have been scouting hikers for years and I spotted a guy, the right age, hiking alone in the right place to have been at Neels the night before. He was totally flabbergasted and almost stunned would be a better description.

I told him that WBers had adopted you and he seemed very relieved. :banana

MN

Thru Hiker Wife
03-16-2008, 21:51
LMAO...yep, that's how I figured you knew it was him and you're choice of words is perfect.

He has been telling me forever to get on WB and trying to get me to read some of his hiking books. Little did he know I've been trolling around here for about a year and I've picked up his hiker books a time or two. Us sneaky women folk!!!:D Truth be told, now that he's actually out there for what's supposed to be the long haul, I've definitely become more interested and involved...obviously.:rolleyes:

That is so funny. I didn't have a clue what he looked like but I have been scouting hikers for years and I spotted a guy, the right age, hiking alone in the right place to have been at Neels the night before. He was totally flabbergasted and almost stunned would be a better description.

I told him that WBers had adopted you and he seemed very relieved. :banana

MN

Runsalone
03-21-2008, 21:13
Hey everyone its the thru hiker! Your support for my lovely wife is much appreciated, I think she probably has the harder job in this venture, and the encouragement you all can give is valued more than you know! Im heading back out tommorrow for a much longer stint, so tommorrow should prove to be a really crappy day for both of us. Thanks to the hiker community! Im learning this is one of the great byproducts of the A.T.....the sense of community and unselfish care for your comrades. Wish us luck!!

Mother Nature, particular thanks to you for helping give me one of my first days on the trail that I wasnt a ball of nerves about the home front. Your Kindness is much appreciated!

warraghiyagey
03-21-2008, 21:27
Hey everyone its the thru hiker! Your support for my lovely wife is much appreciated, I think she probably has the harder job in this venture, and the encouragement you all can give is valued more than you know! Im heading back out tommorrow for a much longer stint, so tommorrow should prove to be a really crappy day for both of us. Thanks to the hiker community! Im learning this is one of the great byproducts of the A.T.....the sense of community and unselfish care for your comrades. Wish us luck!!!

Good to hear from you. Enjoy your hike. See you in the Northeast.

Rainman
03-22-2008, 12:27
Hey everyone its the thru hiker! Your support for my lovely wife is much appreciated, I think she probably has the harder job in this venture, and the encouragement you all can give is valued more than you know! Im heading back out tommorrow for a much longer stint, so tommorrow should prove to be a really crappy day for both of us. Thanks to the hiker community! Im learning this is one of the great byproducts of the A.T.....the sense of community and unselfish care for your comrades. Wish us luck!!

Mother Nature, particular thanks to you for helping give me one of my first days on the trail that I wasnt a ball of nerves about the home front. Your Kindness is much appreciated!

Hike on Lucky Man. You and THW are in my prayers!

Mother Nature
03-22-2008, 13:11

Glad I ran into you on the trail! Good luck going forward! Hope to run into on the trail in the future. At the speed we will be traveling you may pass us in Maryland or PA. :p

JAK
03-22-2008, 13:35

Mother Nature, particular thanks to you for helping give me one of my first days on the trail that I wasnt a ball of nerves about the home front. Your Kindness is much appreciated!You're a brave man to be showing your face here. Best of luck on you hike, but your a fool if you don't know who's side we're on. Runsalone eh? Yeah you better be. :D

Thru Hiker Wife
03-26-2008, 22:42
So the hubby is back on the trail now for several days. This was our last planned meeting. The parting went well all things considered but then his first night out, he called and was ready to come home. First bit of seperation anxiety for him I guess. Did what I thought was best and told him to sleep on it and then the next morning strongly encouraged him to go on to the next town. Upon his arrival there, we talked further and he was feeling a lot better so I encouraged him to keep going with his thru hike and we will just see how it goes. We were doing okay and he was doing better so why not keep going? If things get rough down the trail then maybe we reevaluate section hiking it.

So I've been good but tonight I'm just down in the dumps. Didn't let him know that and confirmed that I was still on board for the thru. Please just tell me I did the right thing!!!!:(

Mother Nature
03-26-2008, 22:50
You did the right thing. Here's your e-hug! As promised in an earlier posting... someone is always on line when you need it. :p I just didn't know I would be the first to spot your last posting.

Encouragement and support is so necessary. After a while the miles are just miles and it becomes a mind trip. Helping him to understand that you are ok with the journey will help him come to whatever decision he feels he need to do.

We are here for you!

Thru Hiker Wife
03-26-2008, 22:52
You did the right thing. Here's your e-hug! As promised in an earlier posting... someone is always on line when you need it. :p I just didn't know I would be the first to spot your last posting.

Encouragement and support is so necessary. After a while the miles are just miles and it becomes a mind trip. Helping him to understand that you are ok with the journey will help him come to whatever decision he feels he need to do.

We are here for you!

Thanks! I know you're right but it's just a ROUGH night!

I thought I was done whining but I guess I'm gonna go another round.

Tin Man
03-26-2008, 23:01
Thanks! I know you're right but it's just a ROUGH night!

I thought I was done whining but I guess I'm gonna go another round.

Think to the future. Start planning that long trip to Europe or wherever you have dreamed of going when he is done living his dream.

GGS2
03-26-2008, 23:16
Somebody advised not to quit when the weather is bad, you just climbed the worst hill, your feet hurt and you miss home and hearth soooo bad. Wait for morning, sunshine, level ground and rested body and sole, and then decide.

You did the right thing. Take a deep breath, let it out, and remember you have your own bad weather, hills to climb, dark nights and sore feet too. Just let them pass, and decide what is important in the sunshine. Best thing for all people who feel bad is a good night's sleep and a hot meal. Maybe a nice hot bath. By the way, now is your time to do some of the things that you never get to do when he's around. What could those be... :sun

Jim Adams
03-26-2008, 23:18
THW,
YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is obvious that you love him dearly but to support his hike so thoroughly as to push him back out there...you are #1 in my book. That support will mean so much down the trail. He will get into great hiking condition and then continuing becomes a mind game at times...he will need all of the support that you can muster...you at least have the home field advantage...he's the one away!
I tend to get carried away with Springer Fever at times and I have quite a few friends here that "talk me back down" every March. These are great people on here. Alot of them know how you feel...they will all help out.

geek

Jaybird62
03-26-2008, 23:21
I agree with JA It is so awesome that you are supporting him and are involved with his experience. I have a little girl on the way this summer, but if all works out, her and I could be hiking the trail together in another 10-14 years- who knows. I commend you and your dedication to your man!!!

Thru Hiker Wife
03-26-2008, 23:21
THW,
YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is obvious that you love him dearly but to support his hike so thoroughly as to push him back out there...you are #1 in my book. That support will mean so much down the trail. He will get into great hiking condition and then continuing becomes a mind game at times...he will need all of the support that you can muster...you at least have the home field advantage...he's the one away!
I tend to get carried away with Springer Fever at times and I have quite a few friends here that "talk me back down" every March. These are great people on here. Alot of them know how you feel...they will all help out.

geek

Thanks! Maybe tomorrow I'll feel like I rock. At the moment, I'm stuck on dumba**.

Never quit on a bad day. That's what I tell him so I guess I need to take my own advce.:o

Jaybird62
03-26-2008, 23:25
Thanks! Maybe tomorrow I'll feel like I rock. At the moment, I'm stuck on dumba**.

Never quit on a bad day. That's what I tell him so I guess I need to take my own advce.:o
Keep your head up......use the forcehttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/sw025.gif

Thru Hiker Wife
03-26-2008, 23:27
Keep your head up......use the forcehttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/sw025.gif

Thanks for the giggle, Jaybird. You know of my emoticon weakness.:D

Wedge1173
03-27-2008, 00:06
THW,
Amazing support you have given your husband. And that's all I can say.

envirodiver
03-27-2008, 00:19
THW, it's so cool that you are supporting your man the way that you are. Most of us males on here are very envious of him for that. You sound special and he is very fortunate. Hang tough and keep him going. Many folks just don't realize how important it is to help their other realize dreams. Especially if there is not an immediate benefit for themselves.

Jaybird62
03-27-2008, 00:22
THW, it's so cool that you are supporting your man the way that you are. Most of us males on here are very envious of him for that. You sound special and he is very fortunate. Hang tough and keep him going. Many folks just don't realize how important it is to help their other realize dreams. Especially if there is not an immediate benefit for themselves.
Speak it man, speak it.....

Thru Hiker Wife
03-27-2008, 01:10
Wow, will you guys marry me? Temporarily obviously. Oh wait, nevermind. Then I'd just ahve to either deal with it all over again as you guys hit the trail or at least hear about it all the time. Although, what can I say? I did spend all day on here and still continue to check in when I should be working or at least sleeping. ~Smooches~:D

envirodiver
03-27-2008, 01:19
Hang tough, we'll be here for you. Sure bunch of us here will marry you.:D

Thru Hiker Wife
03-27-2008, 01:21
Sure bunch of us here will marry you.:D

oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!!!!!!!:D:banana

envirodiver
03-27-2008, 01:36
Don't get too excited too quick, we might not be the prize hogs in the trough.

Jaybird62
03-27-2008, 01:40
Don't get too excited too quick, we might not be the prize hogs in the trough.
heeeheeeeeheeeeeeheeeeeee:D:D:D

Thru Hiker Wife
03-27-2008, 01:41
If there's a line, does that mean I get to pick and choose?

Who said you're getting a prize either.

Jaybird, come out, come out, wherever you are!!!

Thru Hiker Wife
03-27-2008, 01:42
heeeheeeeeheeeeeeheeeeeee:D:D:D

There he is!!!:welcome

Jaybird62
03-27-2008, 01:42
Here am I......

Jaybird62
03-27-2008, 01:45
Whered yall go?http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_34_4.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000%282%29)

Thru Hiker Wife
03-27-2008, 01:47
Whered yall go?http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_34_4.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000%282%29)

Dude, lay off the beam. We're still here.

envirodiver
03-27-2008, 01:51
I'm here and yes you do get to choose...LOL to help in your decision I;m an excellent dancer.

:dance:dance

Thru Hiker Wife
03-27-2008, 01:53
Dancing is good.

envirodiver
03-27-2008, 01:59
Yes it is. One of my favorite musical artists is Webb Wilder. Lyrics from one of his songs are " you like dancing, well hold my coat cause I can flop like a fish in the bottom of a boat" :banana:banana:banana:banana

Thru Hiker Wife
03-27-2008, 09:48
It's a new day with a new motto...

Thought for the day
Handle every stressful situation like a dog.If you can't eat it or hump it,Piss on it and walk away.

Thru Hiker Wife
03-27-2008, 09:50
Hope that doesn't offend anyone. I found it quite humerous this morn after the night I had but that could have everything to do with being grumpy due to lack of sleep and a migraine.

Today WILL be a better day! Come on, Dixi, say it with me!:sun

Jason of the Woods
03-27-2008, 09:52
I just had to jump in to say that by far I am the most handsome WhiteBlaze member and very modest.;)
If there's a line, does that mean I get to pick and choose?

Who said you're getting a prize either.

Jaybird, come out, come out, wherever you are!!!

Thru Hiker Wife
03-27-2008, 09:53
I just had to jump in to say that by far I am the most handsome WhiteBlaze member and very modest.;)

Is that so? And where is your proof, sir?:D

dixicritter
03-27-2008, 09:57
Hope that doesn't offend anyone. I found it quite humerous this morn after the night I had but that could have everything to do with being grumpy due to lack of sleep and a migraine.

Today WILL be a better day! Come on, Dixi, say it with me!:sun

Actually it made me laugh too. Thanks I needed that. :sun

Thru Hiker Wife
03-27-2008, 09:58
Actually it made me laugh too. Thanks I needed that. :sun

Glad to help!

Jason of the Woods
03-27-2008, 10:01
What proof are you looking for?;)
Is that so? And where is your proof, sir?:D

Venture
03-27-2008, 10:02
It's a new day with a new motto...

Thought for the day
Handle every stressful situation like a dog.If you can't eat it or hump it,Piss on it and walk away.

ROTFLMAO! This is a great quote, im sharing this one with my wife!! Thanks Thru hiker wife! How's the hubby doing? Ill be on the trail april 1st!

Thru Hiker Wife
03-27-2008, 10:07
ROTFLMAO! This is a great quote, im sharing this one with my wife!! Thanks Thru hiker wife! How's the hubby doing? Ill be on the trail april 1st!

Hey, Venture!

Where you been, man?

Hubby is making tracks. Took a few days off and came home last week and is now well, into NC.

Remember what I said about you coming to GA.

Have a great hike, my friend. Best wishes to you and your wife!

Venture
03-27-2008, 10:17
Hey, Venture!

Where you been, man?

Hubby is making tracks. Took a few days off and came home last week and is now well, into NC.

Remember what I said about you coming to GA.

Have a great hike, my friend. Best wishes to you and your wife!

Been busy taking care of last minute details! Glad to hear Hubby is having a great time! Thank you for your encouragement and offer of help! I just confirmed that my shuttle to Amicalola is set! Ill be on springer mtn April 1st!

Wedge1173
03-27-2008, 10:44
Do you have any sisters?

I might be the most handsome one around here, but I can cook. And as Red Green says,"if they don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Thru Hiker Wife
03-27-2008, 10:47
Do you have any sisters?

I might be the most handsome one around here, but I can cook. And as Red Green says,"if they don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Well played my friend.:cool:

Sorry no sisters and, obviously, I am happily married.:D

dixicritter
03-27-2008, 10:50
And as Red Green says,"if they don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

I like that! Too cool! :)

Gray Blazer
03-27-2008, 10:53
Do you have any sisters?

I love Red Green. Especially how he fixes everything with duct tape. My favorite was when he replaced the headlight on his caddilac. Hi, THW.

Thru Hiker Wife
03-27-2008, 11:01
Hi, THW.

Hey, Gray Blazer. How are things? Can you believe this craziness?!?!?!:D

wakapak
03-27-2008, 11:11
Do you have any sisters?

LOL!! i like that..such a great quote!! and there's something to be said for a guy that can cook good!!

Wedge1173
03-27-2008, 11:23
That was supposed to say
" I might NOT be the most handsome..."

Gray Blazer
03-27-2008, 11:28
Hey, Gray Blazer. How are things? Can you believe this craziness?!?!?!:D
This is the only website I hang out at.

Thru Hiker Wife
03-27-2008, 11:45
Well, I can see why. There's a little bit of everything for anyone! These guys sure keep you on your toes.:D

envirodiver
03-27-2008, 14:46

Now that I think of it, this sounds like some of the relationships that I have had.

If you would get some sleep and quit staying up late playing with the boys from WB you wouldn't feel bad.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/sleep026.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/sleep021.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/sleep002.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

dixicritter
03-27-2008, 14:52
Now that I think of it, this sounds like some of the relationships that I have had.

If you would get some sleep and quit staying up late playing with the boys from WB you wouldn't feel bad.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/sleep026.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/sleep021.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/sleep002.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Oh come on, take all the fun out of it...LOL. Sleep is greatly overrated. ;)

envirodiver
03-27-2008, 14:54
True Ms. Dixie.

I was up with these insomniacs till dark thirty last night as well.

dixicritter
03-27-2008, 14:56
~knocks on wood~

I haven't had a case yet, I'm due any time now though. It'll be my luck y'all will be over yours when mine hits. :rolleyes:

Thru Hiker Wife
03-27-2008, 14:58
True Ms. Dixie.

I was up with these insomniacs till dark thirty last night as well.

Yeah, and I didn't hear you complaining one bit, my friend.;)

Thru Hiker Wife
03-27-2008, 14:59
~knocks on wood~

I haven't had a case yet, I'm due any time now though. It'll be my luck y'all will be over yours when mine hits. :rolleyes:

Well, I've been doing this for the mojority of two or three weeks now so...

Perhaps I should pm you my cell so you don't have to suffer alone.:D

dixicritter
03-27-2008, 15:02
Well, I've been doing this for the mojority of two or three weeks now so...

Perhaps I should pm you my cell so you don't have to suffer alone.:D

You are due to crash and burn soon... ;)

~keeping my fingers crossed for ya~

Thru Hiker Wife
03-27-2008, 15:04
You are due to crash and burn soon... ;)

~keeping my fingers crossed for ya~

Yeah, but based on the experiences of the last few weeks, that's only good for a night or two. That's okay. I can think of worse things to be doing then hanging out with you folks!:cool:

envirodiver
03-27-2008, 15:20
Yeah, and I didn't hear you complaining one bit, my friend.;)

Nope, having fun. No complaints here, just early and long day.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/eatdrink009.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Jaybird62
03-27-2008, 15:26
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/eatdrink009.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)[/quote]

Wooohooooooo!!!!!!

Thru Hiker Wife
04-01-2008, 11:07
Hey, everyone!

Will be updating trailjournals later but just thought I'd update our friends here on WB first. The man is walking on air. He's running a day ahead of schedule and clocked his first 21 mile day yesterday (unplanned). He said he was being treated like a GOD at the shelter last night for pulling that many miles in one day this early.

dixicritter
04-01-2008, 11:38
Glad to hear he's on top of the world! Can't wait to read your update. :)

sheepdog
04-01-2008, 11:47
Oh come on, take all the fun out of it...LOL. Sleep is greatly overrated. ;)
On midnight shift we used to say..."Sleep is for the weak."

Karen
04-08-2008, 19:11
Ok...I'm so glad I investigated further...I am another thru-hiker wife. Whistler, Jim, left Springer on March 1st. I have grown children living at home, a beautiful home, a great job, but I'm not handling this well. He too, always wanted to do this. This was his time. Oh, I long for a good night's sleep. I'll be logging on at all the crazy hours for whatever support I can get. He is hoping to make it to Demascus, tomorrow. I really hate to hear from him and hate when I try to contact him and get nothing. Never thought I'd do this.

wakapak
04-08-2008, 19:25
Ok...I'm so glad I investigated further...I am another thru-hiker wife. Whistler, Jim, left Springer on March 1st. I have grown children living at home, a beautiful home, a great job, but I'm not handling this well. He too, always wanted to do this. This was his time. Oh, I long for a good night's sleep. I'll be logging on at all the crazy hours for whatever support I can get. He is hoping to make it to Demascus, tomorrow. I really hate to hear from him and hate when I try to contact him and get nothing. Never thought I'd do this.

:welcome Welcome Karen! You can be sure to get support at all hours of the nite around here!!

warraghiyagey
04-08-2008, 19:26

Welcome!:welcome You'll amongst good folk here. And for some fun check out the 'No such thing as Warraghiyagey' thread.
:p

Mother Nature
04-08-2008, 19:42
Welcome Karen!

This crazy bunch will comfort, amaze, shock, and otherwise keep you company at all hours of the day. You are among family here.

MN

dixicritter
04-08-2008, 19:46
Karen, Mother Nature said it all so I'll just say welcome and I know exactly how you feel!

Like I've told many others... it really does get easier... No really I promise it does. :)

saimyoji
04-08-2008, 19:52
Welcome!:welcome You'll amongst good folk here. And for some fun check out the 'No such thing as Warraghiyagey' thread.
:p

Ignore this poster....it doesn't exist, doesn't matter how you pronounce it. :D

:welcome

envirodiver
04-08-2008, 22:31

Welcome Karen:welcome. Yes the "no such thing as Warr*&^%$()" thread is where the insomniacs play. But the premise of the thread is that War^&%*(&^ is a fig newton of our imagination. So now you're up to speed and ready to go.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-08-2008, 22:58
Hey, Karen!

No worries. Log on here anytime and you'll find a friend. This is a great group of folks that will certainly keep you on your toes and, even on the roughest of days, can usually help generate a giggle. They have certainly made my portion of this journey a little easier. Keep your head up and the diversions rolling! When that doesn't work, feel free to shoot me a pm!

THW

Thru Hiker Wife
04-08-2008, 22:59
Hey, Karen!

No worries. Log on here anytime and you'll find a friend. This is a great group of folks that will certainly keep you on your toes and, even on the roughest of days, can usually help generate a giggle. They have certainly made my portion of this journey a little easier. Keep your head up and the diversions rolling! When that doesn't work, feel free to shoot me a pm!

THW

Damnit! My smiley didn't work in the title line...http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/greet010.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

4eyedbuzzard
04-08-2008, 23:16
Welcome Karen:welcome. Yes the "no such thing as Warr*&^%$()" thread is where the insomniacs play. But the premise of the thread is that War^&%*(&^ is a fig newton of our imagination. So now you're up to speed and ready to go.

Just because people don't believe in War^&%*(&^ doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And of greater concern is just what is a War^&%*(&^, what does it eat, how do you catch one, and does anybody have a decent freezer bag cooking recipe for one?

[And now you're thinking this buzzard is a couple stakes short of a properly pitched tent.]

BTW, :welcome THW

OutdoorsMan
04-08-2008, 23:23
THW - Can I pay you to get my wife to be supportive of me doing a thru-hike? We will have been married 26 years April 16th, have two great boys and a great marriage but she has no interest in any of my recreational pursuits and she is baffled as to why I like to hunt, hike, bicycle, etc.
We did OK when I was deployed when in the Marine Corps (20 years ago) but she understood that that was duty. There is no way that I can get her to understand why I need to do a thru-hike but maybe someone else (like you?) could?

Thru Hiker Wife
04-08-2008, 23:31
THW - Can I pay you to get my wife to be supportive of me doing a thru-hike? We will have been married 26 years April 16th, have two great boys and a great marriage but she has no interest in any of my recreational pursuits and she is baffled as to why I like to hunt, hike, bicycle, etc.
We did OK when I was deployed when in the Marine Corps (20 years ago) but she understood that that was duty. There is no way that I can get her to understand why I need to do a thru-hike but maybe someone else (like you?) could?

Sure.:D

In all seriousness, it's a hard thing to come to terms with. I have good days and I have bad...depends on which day you catch me on as to how supportive I really am. I don't understand why my husband needs to thru hike but I understand that he does and that it's his dream. That's enough for me (on a good day:p).

My hubby and I are the total opposites attract scenario so I'm used to not understanding him (and vice versa). One of the things that really has helped me was to finally get involved with the community (WB). Too bad I didn't do it early. Then again, now it makes me feel more "a part" of what he's doing.

Best of luck to you Outdoorsman and, seriously, if you think her talking to me will help...put her in touch.:sun

warraghiyagey
04-08-2008, 23:35
. And of greater concern is just what is a War^&%*(&^, what does it eat, how do you catch one, and does anybody have a decent freezer bag cooking recipe for one?

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/whistling.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gif

Karen
04-09-2008, 03:02
Ok, back again. My hiker husband is getting mucho support. I'm keeping the household up (plumbing issues and a death of a refrigerator) paying bills, taxes, working, visiting my dying parents, mailing weekly provisions, trying to keep up a journal for his supportive family and friends and hello...he says in his phone message to me, when he can get a signal that's convenient for him...love you, thank you, your doing a great job. Ahhh! thanks for listening.
I guess I'll remember he had to do this, but I'm having a real hard time remembering why, I am here.

4eyedbuzzard
04-09-2008, 06:56
... I'm keeping the household up (plumbing issues and a death of a refrigerator) paying bills, taxes, working, visiting my dying parents, mailing weekly provisions, trying to keep up a journal for his supportive family and friends and...

Yeah, so? What, ya think hiking is easy?

:D:D:D:D:D

[There are times you're going to have to laugh at all this, 'cause if not, there's going to be a lot of pain]

Karen
04-09-2008, 07:13
rain, cold, blisters, read it all...Not Jim, "He's Great!"
Always has been always will be.
Me...I chose, to do this?

warraghiyagey
04-09-2008, 07:28
Have a great day Karen:sun:sun:sun:sun

dixicritter
04-09-2008, 08:28
Ok, back again. My hiker husband is getting mucho support. I'm keeping the household up (plumbing issues and a death of a refrigerator) paying bills, taxes, working, visiting my dying parents, mailing weekly provisions, trying to keep up a journal for his supportive family and friends and hello...he says in his phone message to me, when he can get a signal that's convenient for him...love you, thank you, your doing a great job. Ahhh! thanks for listening.
I guess I'll remember he had to do this, but I'm having a real hard time remembering why, I am here.

Yes this is what it is like for the one that is left at home being the support person. We're there because we chose to marry those crazy guys that like to take off into the woods for these long walks with a pack strapped to their backs, no showers for days, poop in a hole in the ground, eat dehydrated food, and sleep outside in all sorts of weather conditions all in the name of fun. Sound about right? ;) :D However, in the end we know that they will be coming home to us happier, more relaxed, and less stressed than they were when they left to go on the long walk in the woods. So all in all it really is worth it to be supportive of these crazy guys of ours... Don't ya think? :sun

Thru Hiker Wife
04-09-2008, 12:49
Yes this is what it is like for the one that is left at home being the support person. We're there because we chose to marry those crazy guys that like to take off into the woods for these long walks with a pack strapped to their backs, no showers for days, poop in a hole in the ground, eat dehydrated food, and sleep outside in all sorts of weather conditions all in the name of fun. Sound about right? ;) :D However, in the end we know that they will be coming home to us happier, more relaxed, and less stressed than they were when they left to go on the long walk in the woods. So all in all it really is worth it to be supportive of these crazy guys of ours... Don't ya think? :sun

So true, so true. I think that hikers are a special breed and their need to thru-hike is just one of many aspects that are linked to some of their personality traits. So in some way aren't these traits a part of the reason we fall in love with these men? (Insert thinking smiley here which I seem to not be able to do.)Karen, these are all things that we sign on for when we agree to support a thru-hike. Today my taxes still have not (which we were counting on to get along during this thru-hike) and my computer (which is my livelihood) is jacked up. I have had to call my office and turn down work (which means I make no money) and am prepping for a long possibly foul phone call my Microsoft. It sucks but I just gotta keep on laughing. Keep your head up, gal! It HAS to be worth it in the end.

warraghiyagey
04-09-2008, 12:52
THW is smiley challenged?:-?

warraghiyagey
04-09-2008, 12:53
Keep your head up, gal! It HAS to be worth it in the end.

And hopefully it's worth it during.;):sun:sun

minnesotasmith
04-09-2008, 12:55
Just because people don't believe in War^&%*(&^ doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And of greater concern is just what is a War^&%*(&^, what does it eat, how do you catch one, and does anybody have a decent freezer bag cooking recipe for one?

But, when someone mentions a War^&%*(&^, that sounds more like something an ill person would need to cathole. ;)

Thru Hiker Wife
04-09-2008, 16:28
THW is smiley challenged?:-?

:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun

Not anymore...had some computer issues but after spending many hours on the phone with Microsoft I seem to be good to go again. Let the smileys live on!!!:D:banana

Karen
04-09-2008, 19:09
Ok, where are the former thru hikers and their spouses. I'd like to hear how they are today or weeks and months later.

wakapak
04-09-2008, 19:24

Dixi, you have a way with words!!! My only inquiry is this...are there guys out there that would be the ones to take on the support role while a crazy girl goes off and hikes!?!?!? I'd like to know if there is!!! :D :p

and i'll quit hijackin the thread now...:o

notorius tic
04-09-2008, 19:25
WELCOME to a great place fore friends an KNOWLEGE this is a community that will keep you informed an if you find out (his) name post it we will all SMILE He will be OK. Grown MAN IN THE WOODS I GOT A GRIN FROM EAR TOO EAR<:::::::;;;;;;;

Heater
04-09-2008, 19:54
Dixi, you have a way with words!!! My only inquiry is this...are there guys out there that would be the ones to take on the support role while a crazy girl goes off and hikes!?!?!? I'd like to know if there is!!! :D :p

Probably lots of 'em. ;)

I know I would. :)

I think Footslogger did. :-?

Thru Hiker Wife
04-09-2008, 20:19
Ok, where are the former thru hikers and their spouses. I'd like to hear how they are today or weeks and months later.

Uh-um. Well, for starters would be Ms. Dixi who has already responded to you. Her husband is SGT Rock, who just came off the trail a week or so ago. He made it up into VA when an injury stopped him. He is home now but I do believe may be looking to flip-flop once he is healed and, yes, Ms. Dixi, is on board.

Karen, I know it's hard (I'm just hitting the one month mark w/o my hubby) but you have to try and keep a positive outlook. I know it's hard when things go wrong but then that's life. I am just getting my computer back up so that I can continue working, again the taxes which we are relying on to 1) make this thru-hike a sucess on both sides as well as 2) fund one last visit here in the very near future, still have not hit, my grass is WAY tall and needs to be cut and low and behold the lawn mower is not working and I can't afford to pay someone to come cut it, my computer is rapidly coming to require an external harddrive which will cost me over $100, blah, blah, blah oh, and my 13 year old and I miss him dearly and yet, I still support him and keep smiling (and yes, sometimes it is with great effort).

Thru Hiker Wife
04-09-2008, 20:24
Oh, I almost forgot this...

since you seem to be having such a rough time...from me to you...

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/hug002.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Hang in there!:sun:cool:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-09-2008, 21:40
::: Dino wraps a loving and comforting tail around Karen :::

minnesotasmith
04-09-2008, 23:20

Many, even most, men will do almost anything for the rest of their lives for a woman who bears them children, even long after they no longer care much about sleeping with that woman, as long as she doesn't shame them. If you're just a GF/cohabbing with a guy, it will be much, much harder to find a guy who'll do that.

I'd suggest a reliable family member for your support person, otherwise.

warraghiyagey
04-09-2008, 23:23

I would. There is very difinitely a beautiful girl in this world that I would support the totality of her hike, I always will. And if it's the AT, I'll love her experience if I could be so honored as to be the one that gets to support her thru hike. Straight up.:sun:sun:sun

Heater
04-09-2008, 23:26
Many, even most, men will do almost anything for the rest of their lives for a woman who bears them children, even long after they no longer care much about sleeping with that woman, as long as she doesn't shame them. If you're just a GF/cohabbing with a guy, it will be much, much harder to find a guy who'll do that.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

dixicritter
04-10-2008, 08:17

Oh yeah, I'm sure you can just change the genders around and it works out just the same. I was just speaking from personal experience ya know. ;)

I happen to know of at least one couple for sure on this forum that both parties have completed Thrus at different times while the other stayed home as the support person... Footslogger and Bad Ass Turtle.

Then there is Marta who has completed a SOBO Thru while her hubby was at home as her support person. Happy couple from what I can tell meeting them in person. :)

There's a couple Rock and I know locally, his trail name is Wildcat and he's about to go finish up his Triple Crown attempt while his wife is home supporting him (he leaves at the end of the month).

I know there's more but I can't think of them right now. LOL

Sly
04-10-2008, 09:22

You're so FOS it's coming out your ears!

wakapak
04-10-2008, 12:04

Exactly what i was thinkin Sly!!!

and MS, my family totally supports all my hikes...i was just simply posing a question out there since lately it seems that it's all the women supporting and you dont hear of many men being the stay at home supporters!!

wakapak
04-10-2008, 12:05
I would. There is very difinitely a beautiful girl in this world that I would support the totality of her hike, I always will. And if it's the AT, I'll love her experience if I could be so honored as to be the one that gets to support her thru hike. Straight up.:sun:sun:sun

Awwww, warragy!!! She's a lucky girl!! :D

envirodiver
04-10-2008, 12:06
Isn't Gungho staying at home while Roots does her hike?

Sly
04-10-2008, 12:12
Isn't Gungho staying at home while Roots does her hike?

Yeah he is right now, until he joins her, and Mr Blissful supported her and Paul Bunyon's hike but they're both married. My point was you don't need to be married, or have kids, for the guy to support the woman they love.

envirodiver
04-10-2008, 12:13
Yeah he is right now, until he joins her, and Mr Blissful supported her and Paul Bunyon's hike but they're both married. My point was you don't need to be married, or have kids, for the guy to support the woman they love.

Tru Dat...if it's not a 2-way street, eventually there will be a rub...IMO.

However, I must say I'm not the best relationship advice.

minnesotasmith
04-10-2008, 12:14

Confusing the world as it is with how they think it should be.

Pearls before *****, and all that.

Sly
04-10-2008, 12:15
Tru Dat...if it's not a 2-way street, eventually there will be a rub...IMO.

Exactly, married with children or not.

warraghiyagey
04-10-2008, 13:02
Awwww, warragy!!! She's a lucky girl!! :D

Hmmm. . . I think the fortune is mine in this.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/love029.gif http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/love029.gif

Marta
04-10-2008, 13:21

My husband and I have been together since we were 18. He said that the third thing I told him about myself was that I was going to hike the AT some day. He managed to distract me for a number of years with an assortment of other adventures (children, homesteading, travel...) but the thru-hiking dream was still lurking. Finally the nest was empty...and he said he didn't want to hike the AT, then, or ever.

(Frankly, I appreciate his honesty. I would rather him say straight out that he will never thru-hike the AT, instead of having him pretend he'd do it and then sabotage the trip--which happens.)

The only thing I can suggest is that you and your wife have an honest discussion about what both of you have on your life lists of things you want to do. See where they intersect, and where they don't. Make concrete plans for BOTH of you to get what you want.

BTW, it's not fair to have too strenuous a list for the other person, such as "I want you to work 24 hours a day so I can lay on the beach." But it is fair to, say, set aside the same amount of money you expect to spend on your hike for her to buy something (an object or an experience) of similar value.

I will also comment that having a left-behind partner that you care about is very, very hard on the hiking partner. Don't underestimate how hard it is. Many trips end because the hiker can't stand to be away from his/her homebody.

Yeah, they exist. I've got one.

wakapak
04-10-2008, 13:27
My husband and I have been together since we were 18. He said that the third thing I told him about myself was that I was going to hike the AT some day. He managed to distract me for a number of years with an assortment of other adventures (children, homesteading, travel...) but the thru-hiking dream was still lurking. Finally the nest was empty...and he said he didn't want to hike the AT, then, or ever.

(Frankly, I appreciate his honesty. I would rather him say straight out that he will never thru-hike the AT, instead of having him pretend he'd do it and then sabotage the trip--which happens.)

The only thing I can suggest is that you and your wife have an honest discussion about what both of you have on your life lists of things you want to do. See where they intersect, and where they don't. Make concrete plans for BOTH of you to get what you want.

BTW, it's not fair to have too strenuous a list for the other person, such as "I want you to work 24 hours a day so I can lay on the beach." But it is fair to, say, set aside the same amount of money you expect to spend on your hike for her to buy something (an object or an experience) of similar value.

I will also comment that having a left-behind partner that you care about is very, very hard on the hiking partner. Don't underestimate how hard it is. Many trips end because the hiker can't stand to be away from his/her homebody.

Yeah, they exist. I've got one.

yeah, i know they exist, and every one here as proven it more to me!! :D

i cant imagine how it is to be the spouse/sig.other of someone on a thru....i only know how i feel with someone close to me that is out there and who i'll probably meet up with once i get out! i gotta give you all huge cheers for being so supportive!!! there's so many people here that rock!!! :D

Marta
04-10-2008, 13:45
Another example: Waterfall and Sheltowee support each other through diverse adventures.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-10-2008, 14:09
Make concrete plans for BOTH of you to get what you want.

I couldn't agree with this statement more. Our plan is that once Brad gets back, he and I will both bust our buns to save some more money and then I will fulfill one of my lifelong dreams...getting my SCUBA cert. In the meantime, I also work with a non-profit org here in GA doing dolphin abundance surveys as it's affordable. This helps appease another lifelong dream of working with dolphins.

On another note, Karen, the good and bad days continue on. After spending so much time yesterday trying to help lift you up by showing similar experiences, I spent way too much time focusing on the negative. Today I am depressed, in tears and ready to pull him off the trail:(. BUT, never quit on a bad day. Things will get better (may have to get that part time job I've been debating :-?). This will go on until I am able to talk to him again (or better yet I'm still hoping the taxes hit in time to meet him in Hot Springs) and then I will hear the happiness and joy in his voice and it will reinforce why we are doing this. The negatives are temporary but his joy in fulfilling his dream and the memories will last a lifetime.

Ahhh, sorry to babble everyone!

Marta
04-10-2008, 14:14
I couldn't agree with this statement more. Our plan is that once Brad gets back, he and I will both bust our buns to save some more money and then I will fulfill one of my lifelong dreams...getting my SCUBA cert. In the meantime, I also work with a non-profit org here in GA doing dolphin abundance surveys as it's affordable. This helps appease another lifelong dream of working with dolphins.

Very cool plans! Go for it!

One of the things I like about this is that THW has looked at the finances and realized "Hey! Here's something I can do for myself that's free and I can do it right now." It's great to have those short-term things going on while waiting for the long-term plans to come together.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-10-2008, 14:18
Very cool plans! Go for it!

One of the things I like about this is that THW has looked at the finances and realized "Hey! Here's something I can do for myself that's free and I can do it right now." It's great to have those short-term things going on while waiting for the long-term plans to come together.

:oWell, not exactly free as I have to drive about four hours and cover all my own expenses since it's a non-profit org BUT it's all tax deductible and I have a few friends that are interested so I'm hoping we can coordinate and all go down in July and share in costs of gas and hotel. Not to mention it'll be a kick a** girls' weekend.

Oh, and once he completes the trail and I get my SCUBA cert, we plan to save for two dreams that we both share, buying a house and a trip to Hawaii!:banana

Karen
04-10-2008, 21:47
Had to update you all. Being "left behind"has shown me another woman than I am. I have read all of your messages and the dialogue confirms that it's not just me that has experienced all the trials and tribulations of this dream of the love of our lives... Yes, my Mom is dying of cancer, after overcoming more than I will take the time to write. My Mom is my inspiration and part of why I struggle with my husband's need to hike. He is hiking because he needs to walk the walk. I need to surround myself with people. Family always first and then those that have a need for someone. During this time of my need I found that you all were there, as I would be for you. I again tried to reach Jim tonight (my rant, last night was too scarey for me and perhaps him) hello...no signal, left a message. I wanted to share with him that I have had an epiphany. I work with special needs kids in the public high school. I finish school mid June. Our traditional vacation at the shore has been cancelled due to lack of funds. Jim has to come home mid June due to his employment or loss of. I am off from school till September. I have a plan I have to share with many. Perhaps you or others will want to be a part. My prediction is Jim will have completed 1/2 of what he had wanted. I now hope it will be more. Can you guess what I'm thinking??? I will motivate and support my husband and perhaps we will continue this life of ours together, after all.

wakapak
04-10-2008, 21:51
Had to update you all. Being "left behind"has shown me another woman than I am. I have read all of your messages and the dialogue confirms that it's not just me that has experienced all the trials and tribulations of this dream of the love of our lives... Yes, my Mom is dying of cancer, after overcoming more than I will take the time to write. My Mom is my inspiration and part of why I struggle with my husband's need to hike. He is hiking because he needs to walk the walk. I need to surround myself with people. Family always first and then those that have a need for someone. During this time of my need I found that you all were there, as I would be for you. I again tried to reach Jim tonight (my rant, last night was too scarey for me and perhaps him) hello...no signal, left a message. I wanted to share with him that I have had an epiphany. I work with special needs kids in the public high school. I finish school mid June. Our traditional vacation at the shore has been cancelled due to lack of funds. Jim has to come home mid June due to his employment or loss of. I am off from school till September. I have a plan I have to share with many. Perhaps you or others will want to be a part. My prediction is Jim will have completed 1/2 of what he had wanted. I now hope it will be more. Can you guess what I'm thinking??? I will motivate and support my husband and perhaps we will continue this life of ours together, after all.

are you thinking of going out on the trail with him????? :-?

Thru Hiker Wife
04-10-2008, 22:43
I know that I vowed early on in this thread to not be the whiney wife but somehow tonight all bets are off. I'm sure those who read this thread have seen my post from earlier today. I was cruising along as best as could be expected when suddenly BAM. The damn breakes. I've been sitting here in tears for about an hour now that I just can't seem to stop. I'm lonely, I'm stressed, money is jacked up, it doens't look like I'm gonna get to see him in Hot Springs and I really just don't if I can do this anymore

warraghiyagey
04-10-2008, 22:45
THW, it's amazing that you've gone this long holding steady. Women are so much stronger than men. Let it out girl. We're here. Think, someday we hopefully all get to meet you. Another great day to look forward to.:sun

Thru Hiker Wife
04-10-2008, 22:54
THW, it's amazing that you've gone this long holding steady. Women are so much stronger than men. Let it out girl. We're here. Think, someday we hopefully all get to meet you. Another great day to look forward to.:sun

Thanks, Warragy. Currently I feel like just the biggest wuss and what's worse is I can't even specifically tell you why I'm such a mess and why now. I keep looking for the faucet to turn off these stupid tears...maybe I'll find it soon.:o

warraghiyagey
04-11-2008, 00:10
Thanks, Warragy. Currently I feel like just the biggest wuss and what's worse is I can't even specifically tell you why I'm such a mess and why now. I keep looking for the faucet to turn off these stupid tears...maybe I'll find it soon.:o

Wusses of the World Unite!!!!!
:welcome:welcome

Karen
04-11-2008, 06:21
I hit the wall, the other day. I began a thought process that included researching data on successful marriages of thru hikers. I really was evaluating my own. How could anyone put their dreams before the wants and needs of the person that is thought to mean the most? You know what? I still don't get it. Do I just give up on the person that means the most to me? I was one of the only people that knew he wasn't going through a midlife crisis. He had always wanted to do this. Sure I wish it could have been done long ago. But, it didn't. Now I want this done. I feel Jim will come home because he has too. He won't be finished and he'll be disappointed. But I think I can alleviate his disappointment. I think New England and in particular Maine is beautiful...I also believe Jim has some of the best equipment. I've lost weight and walk daily (more for an escape). 70 days Jim has. I have to just get through that many days till the class of 2008 graduates from High School. I have alot of soliciting for support to do. My difficulty will be, not being able to do this alone...I'm not a loner.
All the left behinders...you are there. You support us and express all of my sorrows. THW your initial posts were my motivation to post. I so appreciate you and the Whiteblaze forum.
Gosh the alarm just went of 6:15. Please try to enjoy your day and know someone is thinking of you and wondering how you really are doing.

Sly
04-11-2008, 06:31
Women are so much stronger than men.

If they are, I haven't seen it in this thread.

Marta
04-11-2008, 06:50
Karen--First a practical note: Your husband is not just being selfish by keeping his phone off. The opportunities to recharge a phone are limited to visits to town every few days, which you probably know. Much of the time on the AT, cell phones have no service. If you leave a cell phone switched on while you're in these no-service areas, the phone spends all its time searching for service and the battery is quickly exhausted. In a no-service area, a battery can go from fully-charged to dead in as little as six or eight hours. (I have learned this through personal experience.) If your husband left his phone on, it will probably be dead when he got to a high point where he'd actually be able to make a call with it.

On the more general level:
When you're part of a couple, and one person attempts a thru-hike while the other does not, it forces some soul-searching about the lines between being half of a couple and being an independent person. It forces the self-examination on both people.

Before, during, and after my long hike, my husband and I have done a lot of talking, and even more thinking, about the spectrum of behavior from self-sacrifice (for the benefit of the other) to self-fulfillment. We've also talked about (and thought even more about) the need for interactions outside coupledom, i.e., friends and activities.

Ideally, after a long hike, you come back together with a new appreciation of the virtues and strengths of your partner, and a new consideration for your own and his needs as independent people.

Growing is not a painless process. I've been the left-behind spouse on several international moves, so I know to a certain extent what you're going through. On a practical level, I think some of same strategies work to sustain oneself at home that work to sustain oneself while hiking--take care of your physical body and you're halfway to keeping your mental self happy. Eat well; exercise daily; read books that you'll enjoy (stay away from the Boob Tube); talk with uplifting friends; spend the sleeping hours in bed and the waking hours not in bed; work when you're at work and play when you're not at work.

dixicritter
04-11-2008, 07:39
If they are, I haven't seen it in this thread.

Sly there is no reason to be a jerk. You have absolutely no clue what we don't share with you. Do you think I'm weak? Is that what you're telling me?

Sly
04-11-2008, 07:43
Sly there is no reason to be a jerk. You have absolutely no clue what we don't share with you. Do you think I'm weak? Is that what you're telling me?

Not speaking of you at all. I just didn't like Thru-hiker's Wife comment about pulling him off the trail. You think having your spouse or significant other on the trail is trying, have them die on you.

dixicritter
04-11-2008, 07:48
Not speaking of you at all. I just didn't like Thru-hiker's Wife comment about pulling him off the trail. You think having your spouse or significant other on the trail is trying, have them die on you.

You are taking this way too personally. And jumping down her throat doesn't help her state of mind at this point... just saying. :)

Thru Hiker Wife
04-11-2008, 08:45
Oh, Dixi, I'm sorry but I even I can't self edit this one.:mad::mad::mad:

Sly, maybe next time before you decide to be a jerk when someone is reaching out for a little support, you should actually read her posts in their entirety. After going back, I see that this is the line I typed yesterday following my comment about pulling him off the trail...

"BUT, never quit on a bad day. Things will get better (may have to get that part time job I've been debating :-?). This will go on until I am able to talk to him again (or better yet I'm still hoping the taxes hit in time to meet him in Hot Springs) and then I will hear the happiness and joy in his voice and it will reinforce why we are doing this. The negatives are temporary but his joy in fulfilling his dream and the memories will last a lifetime. "

Furthermore, you don't know me and you REALLY don't know my personal situation. What has been posted here has been the gereralized version. Would you like for me to get into issues like oh, I haven't been able to pay my bills this month due to the taxes not hitting and they are now threatening to cutt off some of my utilities or the fact that I have a 13 year old at home and no money for groceries at this very moment. And yet, here I was talking about trying to find ANOTHER part time job to make it work vs. pulling him off the trail.

Everybody deserves a chance to express the way they are feeling which is all I did. I was just looking for a little support. For those who gave it, thank you sooo much. As for you Sly, I have a few choise words for you at the moment but I'll refrain out of respect for the rules and the fact that I know I'll cool down later and potentially regret them.!!!!!!!!!

Sly
04-11-2008, 09:07
Why all the anger? I didn't say anything all that bad. Have your thread. I'll comment no more.

warraghiyagey
04-11-2008, 09:12
There's too much beauty in the world to succumb to negatives from others. The only thing on has to react to is what one chooses to react to. There are lots of great people here, and when it's needed most, we'll be here. It's been so good reading along these last weeks knowing that some folks needed good friends at the right time and found them here.
The rest of the folks, and I too am not uttering the name right now, I simply wish upon them a few sunrises to watch and a little more love in their lives, so they too can see both sides of compassion.

powderbank
04-11-2008, 10:28
I love Red Green. Especially how he fixes everything with duct tape. My favorite was when he replaced the headlight on his caddilac. Hi, THW.

Duct tape is cold when used to repair gloves. I can cook too! and I might NOT be the most handsome in here. When in the North East look us up, always looking for fun people to take some turns with. If up in the summer or fall, I can help with some suggestions to what to do in VT. Awesome in fall.....forget about foliage...snow is right around the corner.

envirodiver
04-11-2008, 11:06
Karen--First a practical note: Your husband is not just being selfish by keeping his phone off. The opportunities to recharge a phone are limited to visits to town every few days, which you probably know. Much of the time on the AT, cell phones have no service. If you leave a cell phone switched on while you're in these no-service areas, the phone spends all its time searching for service and the battery is quickly exhausted. In a no-service area, a battery can go from fully-charged to dead in as little as six or eight hours. (I have learned this through personal experience.) If your husband left his phone on, it will probably be dead when he got to a high point where he'd actually be able to make a call with it.

On the more general level:
When you're part of a couple, and one person attempts a thru-hike while the other does not, it forces some soul-searching about the lines between being half of a couple and being an independent person. It forces the self-examination on both people.

Before, during, and after my long hike, my husband and I have done a lot of talking, and even more thinking, about the spectrum of behavior from self-sacrifice (for the benefit of the other) to self-fulfillment. We've also talked about (and thought even more about) the need for interactions outside coupledom, i.e., friends and activities.

Ideally, after a long hike, you come back together with a new appreciation of the virtues and strengths of your partner, and a new consideration for your own and his needs as independent people.

Growing is not a painless process. I've been the left-behind spouse on several international moves, so I know to a certain extent what you're going through. On a practical level, I think some of same strategies work to sustain oneself at home that work to sustain oneself while hiking--take care of your physical body and you're halfway to keeping your mental self happy. Eat well; exercise daily; read books that you'll enjoy (stay away from the Boob Tube); talk with uplifting friends; spend the sleeping hours in bed and the waking hours not in bed; work when you're at work and play when you're not at work.

Marta, you are one clued in smart lady. Not to belittle any of what these people are feeling regarding the temporary absence of their spouse or significant other, but it could be a lot worse.

I've often thought of how tough it must be on the families of soldiers and the soldiers that are deployed overseas in harm's way. These folks are gone for a year, and not to mention they are getting shot at and people have the intent to harm them. It seems to me that would be an awful experience.

Over the past year I was gone for a 9 month stretch. I'm not married, but my kids have been a big part of my life since their birth. Being away from them was horrible. I did a lot of things wrong, didn't exercise enough, focused on my misery instead of the things that were good, drank too much, felt sorry for myself. Overall just added to my misery. Until one day I woke up and had a "get real Meeting" with myself and decided to change my behavior. To get over it and stay in touch as much as possible through the lines of communication available and live my life. Not exclusive of theirs, but in addition to theirs.

I didn't say this to be critical of the feelings of others, just saying that if you get real with yourself, you can still enjoy life for a few months without your spouse being there. After all you had a life prior to marriage, just don't reorient things so that you start blaming him for your feelings. They are your feelings, not his.

I do feel empathy for you that are missing your spouses right now, maybe a bit of jealousy that I don't have a significant other that means that much to me.

Farr Away
04-11-2008, 13:57
Marta, you are one clued in smart lady. Not to belittle any of what these people are feeling regarding the temporary absence of their spouse or significant other, but it could be a lot worse.

I've often thought of how tough it must be on the families of soldiers and the soldiers that are deployed overseas in harm's way. These folks are gone for a year, and not to mention they are getting shot at and people have the intent to harm them. It seems to me that would be an awful experience.

I do feel empathy for you that are missing your spouses right now, maybe a bit of jealousy that I don't have a significant other that means that much to me.

This post really hit me.

I'm getting married this Sunday, and unless something changes drastically, my fiance will be going to Iraq before the year is out. :( Really not looking forward to that, but I plan to do a lot of the things people have mentioned on this thread. I'll likely continue to read a lot of WB, and will get out on the trail as often as practical.

Best to all!

FarrAway

Montego
04-11-2008, 15:42
This post really hit me.

I'm getting married this Sunday, and unless something changes drastically, my fiance will be going to Iraq before the year is out. :( Really not looking forward to that, but I plan to do a lot of the things people have mentioned on this thread. I'll likely continue to read a lot of WB, and will get out on the trail as often as practical.

Best to all!

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/love050.gif

warraghiyagey
04-11-2008, 16:20
This post really hit me.

Best to all!

FarrAway

Congrats in advance!!:sun:sun
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/love047.gif

saimyoji
04-11-2008, 17:10
Happy Nuptials. :sun

warraghiyagey
04-11-2008, 17:15
Girls are COOL!!!:sun

saimyoji
04-11-2008, 17:24
Girls are COOL!!!:sun

If by cool you mean warm and soft and cuddly and sometimes totally HOT....then yes, you are correct. :cool:

saimyoji
04-11-2008, 17:27
If by cool you mean warm and soft and cuddly and sometimes totally HOT....then yes, you are correct. :cool:

I say sometimes totally HOT because its been forever since a girl other than MY girl has turned my head.....:cool:

SGT Rock
04-11-2008, 17:29
This post really hit me.

Best to all!

FarrAway
Howdy FA. My wife and I are fairly local to you and we have been through a couple of those deployments from both ends. We're here for you if you ever need anything. If you just need a friend, advice, or a hiking partner to get away - think of DixiCritter or myself.

Congratulations on the wedding and don't try to face everything alone.

warraghiyagey
04-11-2008, 18:22

Mmmmmmmmm. . .http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/love013.gif http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/love013.gif

warraghiyagey
04-11-2008, 18:23
Rock and Dixi are THE GREAT People here.:):)

GGS2
04-11-2008, 18:38
Whether at home or on the trail, it is really hard to suffer through the emotions that arise from time to time. But not really any harder than the times when you are together and things don't go right, either. Life is full of these times, however you arrange it. That is why it is called the vale of tears. The pain of such times is obligatory, no escape. But the suffering is optional, up to us individually. When the emotional flood comes, just let it come. It's like a wave on the ocean that will overwhelm and then recede. The only time it becomes unbearable is when you hang on the peak emotion and don't let go. Then it will carry you along for the ride, and it may seem that it will never go away. You have to realize that this is up to you: to hang on or to let it pass. After the storm, the sunshine is always just as wonderful and beautiful.

This is not anyone's fault. It is just the way life is. All the best to you all, in the good times as well as the bad times.

dixicritter
04-11-2008, 19:19
Howdy FA. My wife and I are fairly local to you and we have been through a couple of those deployments from both ends. We're here for you if you ever need anything. If you just need a friend, advice, or a hiking partner to get away - think of DixiCritter or myself.

Ditto what he said.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-11-2008, 19:32
I'm also pretty close to you, Farr Away. Out near the airport.

Heater
04-11-2008, 19:37

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/MrGrover_uk/emoticons/1-1.gif

whistler's sister
04-11-2008, 19:45
Am a sister of a thru hiker, we are all thrilled that "Whistler" is making his dream come true as well. At the same time we all are worried and miss him terribly. Luckily he checks in often and has recently learned how to send photos as well as text. Every message helps. My sister-in-law has also created a cyber journal that we all are able to check in on and lend support. It is difficult for her and their kids but they are doing really well. Hang in there.

Heater
04-11-2008, 20:17
How do the kids feel about it all?

Farr Away
04-11-2008, 23:42
Congratulations on the upcoming wedding http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/love050.gif

Congrats in advance!!:sun:sun
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/love047.gif

Happy Nuptials. :sun

Ditto what he said.

I'm also pretty close to you, Farr Away. Out near the airport.

Wow! Thanks everybody!! I really appreciate all the congratulations and support. As I told someone else, right now I'm somewhere between walking on air and stressed to the max. :eek::D

FD, if you're near the airport, you're really close. I'm about 20 minutes from there.

Rock, Dixie, FD, I'd love to meet up with any or all of you sometime.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-11-2008, 23:48
SWEET!!! I am so thrilled this thread has become a support system for so many spouses. Tis awesome!

Farr Away, congrats on the soon to be wedding and thank you to both you and your man for the great service that you both do for this country!

minnesotasmith
04-12-2008, 09:38

Forgetting ATTroll...