PDA

View Full Version : Warming up a 15 degree bag?

redwolf
01-20-2004, 12:35
I'm going to be purchasing a new sleeping bag in the near future and need some suggestions on what temperature rating I'll be needing. I recently graduated college, so up to this point I've just rented my equipment from the university for backpacking trips. Now, I no longer have that option and need to purchase a bag. I'm hoping to do a thru-hike in a year, so I'm keeping that in mind when considering different bags. The bag will be used for as many section hikes as I can fit between now and then though.

I do the majority of my backpacking in the warmer seasons, of course, but usually get out for one or two cold weather trips in the Smokies. (possible 5-10 low)

My question is this: if I purchase a 15 or 20 degree bag (better for summer trips), what options do I have to make the bag warmer and able to be used in close to 0 degree conditions for those couple winter trips or freak spring/fall weather? Or is it better to get a 0 degree bag and deal with it in the summer?

This is all assuming I'm too poor to buy two separate bags. :rolleyes: Also, I think I'm pretty set on a down bag if that will make a difference in your suggestion... thanks for the help!

chris
01-20-2004, 13:02
If you buy a good 20 degree bag (like a Western Mountaineering Ultralight), you'll get a light weight bag with a conservative rating. This is generally good enough for the
Smokys in winter with: A silk liner, thermal underwear, and a hat. Depending on the temperature, you might have to add a few other bits of clothing, like a fleece or socks or whatever. It has been a few years since I've slept in a tent on a backpacking trip. Adding a tent will add some warmth as well. A cheaper 20 degree bag will not give you as much warmth. I've found Marmot to be optimistic in their temperature ratings, but there are people on this site who would agrue otherwise. The cheaper you go, the less reliable will be the rating (but not always). In the summer, the twenty degree bag will be overkill at the lower elevations of the AT. However, swap out the bag for just the liner and you should be okay. That is, when it gets sticky hot in mid-late June, put your sleeping bag in a bounce box or mail it home, and just sleep in the silk liner. You can get a silk liner from Integral Designs for about $35 USD (if you buy it in Canada). Other people like those made by Jagbag. Pick up your sleeping bag again when the temperature begins to drop or you get to New Hampshire.

steve hiker
01-20-2004, 14:28
Redwolf asks a good question. I'm sectioning in small pieces and will be going to the smokies in a week or so, where temps up high get below 10 reguarly this time of year.

I've got a good 20 degree down bag that is true to its rating (TNF Blue Kazoo), a Jag Bag silk liner, and I sleep naked since I find it warmer that way. Still, I'm wondering if I shoudn't bring a fleece blanket in case the temps creep toward zero. I'm thinking this setup my only be good to around 10 degrees or so. I really think sleeping in clothes is counterproductive, at least for me.

Anyone have an opinion as to whether a fleece blanket thrown on top would help?

Blue Jay
01-20-2004, 14:55
I would use a hat, gloves and socks, but the blanket might help. Another option is a fleece bag either inside or outside the main bag.

Peep
01-20-2004, 16:05
This is my first post to this site - hope I do this right. Hi everybody!

I have a 20 degree NF Blue Igloo Down bag. In 10 -15 degree weather I have kept warm with (from first layer on up): light wt silk long johns - top & bottom (nothing else on); fleece hat; wool socks; silk bag liner; then a fleece bag liner. I've heard that warming up water to put in a Nalgene bottle or other container and kept with you in the bag also helps. Especially around the feetsies. :sun