PDA

View Full Version : Pine Grove to Harpers Ferry

The Big J
03-13-2008, 11:01
I am looking to starting at Pine Grove Furnace State Park and Finishing at Harpers Ferry about 80miles. This seems very doable, 10mi a day. Just looking for information. Can you overnite at Penn Mar County Park, or do you have to go to the next shelter? Although I could carry all my food for 8 days where would be a good place to resupply not far from the trail? How is the water for this section? I will be hiking April 19-26. Water should be ok for the early spring i would think. I have hiked imn the summer and winter so my bag choice was easy. I am a warm sleeper and need opinions. Marmot pounder 40 degree bag/ with liner, will it be warm enough?

wilconow
03-13-2008, 11:56
I've the Marmot Pounder. With a liner you should be fine, though there may be a couple nights you may want to wear some extra clothes

10 mi a day is extremely doable. Infact unless you have a pretty slow pace, you will be arriving at camp early. It's a very easy section

Camping is not allowed at Pen Mar park though I believe I've read of thru-hikers stealthing in the pavillion

Good place to resupply is around the MD-PA line. You'll have to hitch though. MD 491 into Smithsburg (Food Lion) is an option

chaosanth
03-13-2008, 12:18
I did this section this past May, except only from Route 30 in PA to Harper's Ferry. I did it in 4 1/2 days, but I didn't resupply at all along the way so I
m not sure what options there are.

But there are a few stealth sites to camp at just south of Pen-Mar and from what I remember the trail crossed plenty of creeks and water sources that water wasn't a problem. There was also a free shower/bathroom area at the Dahlgren campground in Maryland and there was a restaurant at that road crossing. There were soda machines at Pen-Mar and at Crampton's Gap too.

I also did the strech from Route 30 to Pine Grove Furnance the year before. It was a pretty nice 18-20 mile stretch and I remember lots of pine forest in this stretch.

burger
03-13-2008, 13:23
When I came through this section, I picked up a mail drop at South Mountain, PA (1 mile off the trail), and people I hiked with resupplied at Waynesboro, PA.

You might be able to do over 10 miles a day--this is a really flat, easy stretch of trail.

The Big J
03-13-2008, 16:42
I was wondering if I might be able to sqeeze in more miles by starting more north. Any recommdations on where to start to my it a good 8 day hike. I want to end at Harpers Feryy do to my ride that will b e picking me up.

bullseye
03-13-2008, 17:22
You could start in boiling springs. That's about 12.3 miles a day average.

Blissful
03-13-2008, 18:30
Camping is not allowed at Pen Mar park though I believe I've read of thru-hikers stealthing in the pavillion

And I heard of some getting arrested last year. Don't do it, the place is patrolled.

Blissful
03-13-2008, 18:32
I will be hiking April 19-26. Water should be ok for the early spring i would think. I have hiked imn the summer and winter so my bag choice was easy. I am a warm sleeper and need opinions. Marmot pounder 40 degree bag/ with liner, will it be warm enough?

Could be a little chilly, esp in April that far north. I used mine in late May and was fine.

The Big J
03-13-2008, 19:35
And I heard of some getting arrested last year. Don't do it, the place is patrolled.

Then I will not camp in the park, what about a between the park and the next shelter. They do not patrol that. I am a warm sleeper i will try the marmot out in the backyard for a couple of cold nights and see how it does.

The Big J
03-13-2008, 19:37
You could start in boiling springs. That's about 12.3 miles a day average.

Thanks bullseye i will look at that in the 2006 companion.

wilconow
03-13-2008, 19:48
Then I will not camp in the park, what about a between the park and the next shelter. They do not patrol that. I am a warm sleeper i will try the marmot out in the backyard for a couple of cold nights and see how it does.

even if do you want to stealth, unless you're a hammocker there really aren't any good spots until the next shelter. there's also a railroad around pen mar, so you probably would want to go north a bit

The Big J
03-13-2008, 19:55
Thanks i willl be traveling southbound so I will either stop before the park or push on to the shelter.

Toolshed
03-13-2008, 22:03
I'll be in the same area around the same time, It is flatter once you get up by high rocks, but IIRC the road is patrolled to keep kids out of the area.

I don't avocate stealth publicly, but I do recall a few spots that were flat, and quiet about 1-2 miles S of High Rocks.
S/B Plenty of water. I plan to get into HF by Sunday night.
Who is shuttling you, If you don't mind me asking?
It's been a few years since I did Caledonia through Old Forge into PenMar (from North), but I think it was about 2 easy days of walking. It is also easy walking right on up to Pine Grove Furnace SP. Most hikers should be able to do 12 miles, or at least 10 MPD through there.

The Big J
03-14-2008, 08:28
I am looking at starting at Boiling Springs on the 19th and ending at Harrpers Ferry on the 26th (saturday). You are the second person to say 12mi. a day is definitly possible, that is why I will look to start at Boiling Springs as oppossed to Ping Grove. My Girlfriend will be Dropping me off, though not very happy she has to drive 4 hours one way to drop me off! My parents reside in Delaware and will be picking me up at Harrpers Ferry. It is nice to have retired parents who do not mind taking a drive to help me out.