PDA

View Full Version : best backpacking mp3 player

karoberts
03-13-2008, 11:17
Review of Iaudio 7

I think that I have found the best backpacking mp3 player that is out there. Many hikers are happy with an mp3 player with fairly small capacity (maybe 1 gig) but I need something much bigger as I love to listen to audiobooks. Battery is also an issue on the trail as recharging frequently is not a viable option. I like to hear news and weather reports, so radio is also vital. After researching just about every major mp3 player on the market I have settled on the best one: the iaudio7 16 gig. Here are some specs:

Pros:
- 16 gig flash based player
- Amazing 60 hour battery life
- Bookmarking ability (very important for audiobooks)
- Ultralight at 2 oz
- Small
- Can store and show pictures and videos (but a VERY small screen)
- Can voice record
- Can hold and view text files
- No annoying software like itunes – this player acts like a thumb drive, just drag and drop your files in
- FM/AM radio (something the ipod lacks)
- Great price: $190 for 16 gigs of flash, wow!

Cons:
- would be nice if it had an mico SD card slot for extra capacity
- has an internal lithium battery and takes 3 hours to recharge (but then has 60 hour battery life)
- not waterproof

I just got it in the mail yesterday and so far it is kick-*ass amazing!

http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/7/

Swiss Roll
03-13-2008, 20:57
Very nice. If price is the major concern, check out a Sansa m250. It runs on a AAA battery, has 2G, voice recorder and AM/FM radio. It stores 300+ songs for about $50. I have been happy with it, but I don't need it for audiobooks. All in all, I'd say yours may be the better value, but I just wanted to throw out another option for the budget conscious.

hopefulhiker
03-13-2008, 21:02
How do you charge it?

LIhikers
03-13-2008, 22:12
How do you charge it?

I was wondering that too. If it's through the USB cinnection that could be a problem finding a computer to connect it to for hours on end to charge it up. I'm also sceptical about the 60 hours of use between charging, that would be under ideal conditions I assume. In any case, enjoy it and your hike!

corialice81
03-13-2008, 22:16
can music purchased from the itunes store be put on the iaudio?

corialice81
03-13-2008, 22:17
No, there is an ac adapter that you can plug the iaudio into the wall with. Purchase separately.

corialice81
03-13-2008, 22:17
http://www.jetmall.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=367

Fiddleback
03-13-2008, 22:59
Review of Iaudio 7

...I need something much bigger as I love to listen to audiobooks...

I find that any given memory capacity holds more audible books than music, i.e., more hours. For books, I'm using a refurbished Sansa that I picked up for $29. Right now, not quite 490MB of Sansa memory is in use providing more than 35 hours of 'reading.' Yet, my 4GB iPod is nearly full with barely 80 hours of music. Judging by the results with the Sansa I should be able to get over 285 hours of books on the 4GB iPod...200 hours more of reading than of music.

Of course the assumption is that both devices store/compress the files in similar ways. You guys can tell me if I'm right or wrong on that...

FB

smyth555
03-15-2008, 11:03
Does the IAudio really have an AM tuner or just FM? The website only indicates FM.

karoberts
03-15-2008, 19:55
Does the IAudio really have an AM tuner or just FM? The website only indicates FM.

I don't know, I'll test it out.

NICKTHEGREEK
03-15-2008, 20:02
How do you charge it?
Check a solio charger available direct or from REI. It is a battery pack with a solar and computer recharge capability. It recharges cell phones, ipods mp3 players, etc via usb or attachments.