PDA

View Full Version : first few mail drops

dmb658
03-13-2008, 12:56
seeing ass i'm starting in a few days, i'm getting very anxious, and very nervous, which is a good sign. i've sent out my first package(neels gap) and im debating sending out another before i leave so my parents dont have to worry about that. but my main concern is where that second drop would be, and how many days it would take to get to that second point. i've put about a weeks worth of food in that first one, enough to be safe.

any suggestons and possibilities would be a great help.

thanks!

winget84
03-13-2008, 14:14
have you put together an itinerary of stops your making and post office locations. If you haven't you should. you should pick a post office based upon how far off the trail it is. determine the distance between the post offices then make you best guess about how many miles per day you are going to hike. Be conservative if you think you can hike 15 miles a day plan as through you are going to hike 11 or 12 miles a day at least during the first month on the trail. remeber to take into account post office hours and the day of the week you'll arrive in town because many town don't permit camping in town unless you don't mind staying at a hostel or hotel for a night. all way plan to carry 1 days worth of extra food for every 4 to 5 days you plan to be on the trail.

I'm going to assume your a beginner because you haven't planned you mail drops ahead of time. its important to know where your stops are a head of time, not only because of safety issues but the psycological effect of having a goal, something to look forward to. i also hope you have a meal plan of at least 2400 calories a day.

theres alot of planning send me a private message if you have any questions.
P.s. i hope ill see you out there i leave in a month for springer

Sly
03-13-2008, 14:31
Second drop to Fontana Dam, then you don't have to worry about it until at least Damascus but you may want to send one to Standing Bear Farm if you skip Gatlinburg

minnesotasmith
03-13-2008, 15:21
Use hostels you're going to stay at if at all possible. Failing that, use outfitters that accept maildrops. Better hours on both, and no travel with a big box for the hostels.

Jack Tarlin
03-13-2008, 15:29
Go to the "Articles" section of this website.

There's a lengthy article on Re-Supply that will give you lots of ideas on where to send maildrops; where not to; where you can buy food en route; how long it'll likley take you to hike specific sections of the Trail, etc.

Lots of folks have found this info useful over the years.