PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Skirt

MotL
03-13-2008, 16:56
Hi, 2 yrs ago, i started thru-hiking, and everywhere i saw these great Mountain Hardware Hiking skirts. I didnt buy one then bec. funds were tight and i was trying to be cheap. Now i am planning to complete the trail and i want to spend the $ on a hiking skirt, and Mountain Hardware seems not to make the same skirt anymore!! UUGH!! I dont know what it was called, but it was black, had lots of stretch so you could take big steps if needed, I think it was a semi-wrap-around?? It was made of stretch nylon or something that was UV protective and water resistant, i think. Does this ring a bell to anyone?? Anyone know where i can get it?? THANKS for any help you can offer! :)

Freeleo
03-13-2008, 16:57
did you try ebay?

MotL
03-13-2008, 17:25
i did, the only thing it came up with was, "Vintage photo of pregnant woman hiking skirt", funny i hadn't been thinking of 'hiking skirt' as a verb till just then. It was good for a laugh, though :)

Christopher Robin
03-13-2008, 17:33
You should put this request in genral thread becuase last year I meet a thur-hiker wearing one. Goog luck.

Jan LiteShoe
03-13-2008, 17:38
Do you have a guidebook?
Try calling the outfitters in Hot Springs - Bluff Mountain. Good guys, and they carry (or carried) it. I'm sure they can steer you right.

Mrs Baggins
03-13-2008, 19:09
3 years ago I bought one at an Orvis store in Maryland. It's black, nylon, slightly stretchy, very comfy. I can't remember the brand name. Try Orvis.

Mrs Baggins
03-13-2008, 19:14
http://www.exofficio.com/product_details.aspx?item_cd=2063-5105&key=21eeb2a8-0552-4ed8-be51-898678d42149
Here's a link to the one I bought at Orvis. It's an Exofficio skort. I love mine. As for size, I'm 4' 10", 120 lbs and I bought a size 8. It fits perfectly. It's a very slimming skort, very flattering.

AlwaysHiking
03-13-2008, 19:20
http://www.skirtsports.com/

Lellers
03-13-2008, 19:44
Maybe try Title Nine?

MotL
03-16-2008, 15:03
THANK YOU ALL so much for the great info!! I found a couple that i am trying out- one from Royal Robbins, one from Mtn hardware (the one i originally wanted, actually!! found it on Sierra Trader's website).

Now here's a delicate question, ladies...what do you do about what's under the skirt. Here's my dilemma. The whole point of a skirt for me is for peeing purposes, but my legs rub together and it drives me nuts. Body glide is not helpful (makes it worse). Perhaps if i didn't let myself gain 20 lbs after my last thru-attempt, i wouldnt be having this problem...but here i am. So if i wear something to keep legs happy, can't pee standing up. If not, leg problems. any ideas or experiences that might help? thanks

Sleeps_With_Skunks
03-17-2008, 01:12
I found that plain baby powder or unsented talcum powder in a small container with a cottonball keeps the legs really happy. I was desperate last year after a hike that made me raw. Stay away from scented stuff as best you can. If you are already raw or have "prikly" heat from the summer. desitin diaper rash cream is a godsend :)

Sleeps With Skunks

Hammock Hanger
03-17-2008, 09:14
THANK YOU ALL so much for the great info!! I found a couple that i am trying out- one from Royal Robbins, one from Mtn hardware (the one i originally wanted, actually!! found it on Sierra Trader's website).

Now here's a delicate question, ladies...what do you do about what's under the skirt. Here's my dilemma. The whole point of a skirt for me is for peeing purposes, but my legs rub together and it drives me nuts. Body glide is not helpful (makes it worse). Perhaps if i didn't let myself gain 20 lbs after my last thru-attempt, i wouldnt be having this problem...but here i am. So if i wear something to keep legs happy, can't pee standing up. If not, leg problems. any ideas or experiences that might help? thanks

Iwear a skirt for the freedom of movement and being able to pee w/o removing the pack etc. When I first start out I am usually a bit heavier and have the thighs that rub and cause chaffing. I wear a pair of men's microfiber long legged boxer briefs. They can be stretched over so you can pee w/o pulling them down. Or as I have done make a slice in the crotch and just spread it when peeing, easier then pulling up the leg. All that said I always look forward to the day when my skin toughens and my legs thin out for the shedding of the boxers.

jnetx
03-17-2008, 17:11
make a slice in the crotch

:eek: WARNING! Remove boxers first!! :eek:

Hammock Hanger
03-17-2008, 17:17
:eek: WARNING! Remove boxers first!! :eek:
:D That would help.

BTW: Just a head up I bought a "Calamity Jane" skirt with built in shorts at TDays last year. I hated this skirt as it stayed very wet for a long long time once it was full of sweat. Of course maybe you won't sweat!!! LOL!!

sam4msu
03-17-2008, 21:30
Excuse me for putting in my 2 cents but if you don't mind a man's input here I would suggest one of these:
http://www.sportkilt.com
I have one of them and I wear it hiking sometimes and find it very comfortable. Now as far as peeing while standing up...It's a wonderful thing, huh???LOL!!

Doctari
03-18-2008, 13:07
From another man :rolleyes: sorry:

Maybe give a look at http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Stillwater-Kilts/ they have "thrifty kilts" that are extremly well made & dry fast due to being synthetic. Some will say that a kilt is "MAN WEAR" so there is that to consider IF it will bother you. My 46" waist sized kilt weighs 1 Lb, yes it's heavy, but VERY comfortable & only cost me $40.00. To me it is worth the weight. If you are smallish, they have "Youth" sizes.

As to underwear: I stay cooler, therefore dryer which equals less chaffing without undercovering. But I am carrying a pair or 2 of boxer / briefs "Just in case". Either way you go, keeping clean "down there" is IMHO critical to keeping down chaffing. My thoughts is that the salt (& dirt) builid up from sweating adds friction, and once the skin is rubbed raw the salt adds insult to injury.

Oh yea. The stilwater kilts run a bit long so you may have to hem them. I took 1" off the TOP not the bottom, cause it was easier. Had to remove then re-attach the velcro to do it, still was easier.

Christopher Robin
03-18-2008, 13:44
I find baby powder cakes so I fould baby talcing powder insread. Hope this will help.

sarbar
03-19-2008, 13:56
If you all haven't seen Macabi skirts (http://www.macabiskirt.com/index.php), check them out! I got one after my friend Catzia got one...and wow. I wear it as a skirt and also clipped like pants. And you bacn snap them into shorts as well.
The skirt is going with me this summer :) I might not always hike in it, but for camp? Wow!

ChaiKitty
03-29-2008, 19:40
Depending on the fabric you're looking for, check out www.runningskirts.com

Wise Old Owl
03-29-2008, 20:48
MotL - Hammock Hanger - Gave you a very good answer. Even men only slightly overweight can suffer this problem - take the men's legged breifs and modify them. I now hike in the stuff every time, Really prevents chafing.

Ok - I am out of here!

mambo_tango
04-08-2008, 17:16
i had two skirts from mtn hardware - the wrap around one included. i hiked with it on the trail for a month or so and put it into a hiker box. the velcro had become worn out and wouldn't stick as well. which can cause embarrassing moments. i liked my other one much better (fly in the front, sides scrunch up)

Del Q
04-08-2008, 20:25
Just came back from NJ & NY sections, wore my new Icebreaker tee shirt in ultralight Merlino, dries really fast, comfortable and a LOT less "smell" than any other shirt I have ever worn. Very impressed.

Blister
04-09-2008, 10:07
I just got a convertable hiking skirt from rei - I love it - stretchy comfortable long or short!

yappy
04-13-2008, 11:10
I got a golite skort for my birthday. had to send it back cuz it was the size of a postage stamp..haha. it was light though but very BRIGHT... gonna see how the next size up fits. Not sure they are for me though. i love the zip off pants .

X-LinkedHiker
04-13-2008, 12:10
I would try an outdoor outfitter. Something along the lines of Cabelas. They have a TON of mens and womens clothes.

Frau
04-16-2008, 12:34
I am of an age where being able to get OUT of a skirt or dress became a cause. I went through 12 years of school in skirts/dresses to the knees, not even culottes or dress pants allowed.

Now I am reconsidering this. I have three water skirts made of nylon I could try out for hiking, but the stretchy ones you all are talking about sounds like a better bet. My concerns are: skin to skin chafing, sitting on the ground and getting dirt places I don't want dirt.

Please tell me the advantages of a hiking skirt (short!) over shorts.

Thanks,

Frau

alysheba
04-24-2008, 06:04
I love my macabi skirts - I have three! I did hike in zip-off pants for a few days, and the chafing I had didn't clear up for about two weeks afterwards. I will always hike in skirts from now on. I like the Macabi because it can be short or long, pant-style ("bifurcated", as the Macabi manufacturers say) or not. I can go cammando if I chose, don't have to take my pack off to pee or whatever. It provides modesty when needed, it also hides my not-so beautiful, but powerful (LOL) legs.

Red Hat
04-26-2008, 11:25
I picked up a black Royal Robbins zip off skirt (long or short) on Ebay. I'll be using it on my SOBO.