PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Huge Tent

manzana
01-20-2004, 16:23
I have been working all week on my new 20 foot diameter dome. I realize most folks wont want one in their backpack but it is pretty amazing. It is made from 3/4 inch metal conduit from Home depot and is almost 10 feet high. The total cost is around $300. You gotta cut and smash 120 pieces of pipe so it takes some effort. It is a product of Burning Man in Utah and there are several sites which describe it's construction. It would be a hoot with a lot of people and you may become an invitee to more events than you want.
Supposedly it is so strong you can sit on the top of it.

FWIW

manzana

StoveStomper
01-29-2004, 13:13
I have been working all week on my new 20 foot diameter dome. I realize most folks wont want one in their backpack but it is pretty amazing. It is made from 3/4 inch metal conduit from Home depot and is almost 10 feet high. The total cost is around $300. You gotta cut and smash 120 pieces of pipe so it takes some effort. It is a product of Burning Man in Utah and there are several sites which describe it's construction. It would be a hoot with a lot of people and you may become an invitee to more events than you want.
Supposedly it is so strong you can sit on the top of it.

FWIW

manzana
How about a link?

manzana
01-29-2004, 18:58
How about a link?

Surely: there are many:

http://www.desertdomes.com/index.html

My first attempt at assembling the 120 pipes was marginally successful. I am going to try again this weekend. (It has been warm lately down here in Austin) I would be glad to furnish any tips I have learned the hard way.

manzana

TedB
01-29-2004, 23:40
I have heard, although I haven't tried, that an easy way to make miniature models of these things is with dry spaghetti noodles for the poles, and little marsh mellows for the connectors. Food for thought. (sorry, couldn't resist)

manzana
01-30-2004, 09:58
I have heard, although I haven't tried, that an easy way to make miniature models of these things is with dry spaghetti noodles for the poles, and little marsh mellows for the connectors. Food for thought. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Hmm. Good idea. I made my 3 foot model out of wires for flower arrangements and hot melt wax. I got the whole thing at Michaels Hobby shop. I got the first 2 layers (out of 5) done in about 2 hours. Then things got tricky. Some of the joints have 6 pieces. I would heat them and one piece would go boing! It was a can of worms. After an hour of that I smashed the whole thing to bits and tossed it. Do not use hot melt wax. :-?

cheers, manzana

manzana
02-02-2004, 10:07
The dome went up lickity-split this weekend. It just takes a little practice. I am very happy with it. It really is awesome-ly strong. It could easily fit a picnic table inside. It would span the entire trail for E-W er's. ;)

manzana

TedB
02-08-2004, 01:13

I had a chance to eat a bunch a marsh mellows and used a few to experiement with. Easy to work with, more fun than drawing designs on paper. See a picture at:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/data/500/610spaghetti_structure.jpg