PDA

View Full Version : Resoling Boots experience/suggestions?

joehiker22
03-13-2008, 22:40
Hey all-

I've got a pair of a couple year old vasque sundowner boots, of a no longer made model.
They have a lot of use and miles on them- the leather uppers are in great shape, as are the treads on the bottom of the sole.

The problem is that the glue which bonds the sole to the leather "boot" portion has failed, allowing the right sole to delaminate from the toe back from the rest of the boot. On the left boot, the sole has started to delaminate a bit, but no where as much as on the right boot.

What are my options here?
I don't want new soles, just for them to be permanently attached to the rest of the boot.

I've got quite a bit of sentimental value for these boots, so I'd rather fix them than to buy a new set of boots.

generoll
03-14-2008, 08:23
I had my Vasques resoled a couple of years ago. I can't recall the company name right now, but just do a google using 'Vasque' and 'resole' amd you'll get some options. They don't have the original soles, but the ones they have were acceptable. No problems with delamination.

I also like my old Italian Vasques and am thinking of having the uppers replaced.

;)

Chatter
03-14-2008, 08:43
Since the materials all sound like they are in good shape, I've used simple contact cement with great success in the past with similar repairs. Of course, you might hear from others to use Goop, or some combination of glues.

If you want details repair procedures I have done, let me know....otherwise I won't waste the "chatter".

Grampie
03-14-2008, 09:56
I had a pair of Montrail AT Hiker boots resoled by this guy. The Cobbler & Cordwainer New Rochelle, NY cobcord.com

sixhusbands
03-14-2008, 10:25
You can still purchase the Vasque Sundowner at Campmor. I am assuming you have the reddish ,leather model ( which I still use and love). I had a pair a few years back that did something simliar to what you described. I had about 100 miles on them and the tread shown some wear. When I contacted Campmor, they asked me to ship them back and they returned me a brand new pair. There comments were that Vasque stands behind their product and that a seperation in the sole is not the result of client missuse. You might want to contact the dealer that you got them from as you can not contact Vaque directly. good luck!

Mags
03-14-2008, 11:00
My 75mm leather ski boots (http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos/Outdoor_Gear/Asolo_Sport_Snowfield_Back-Country_Leather_Tele_Boots_11_web.jpg) (essentially heavy leather hiking boots with a bill to hook into backcountry ski bindings) had a similar issue. The sole delaminated from the upper.

The solution? Shoe goo (http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-152361/Detail), sand paper and a C -clamp.

Sand the inside where the glue is going to go to rough it up a bit.

Add the shoe goo.

Clamp it down.

Wait two days.

Volia!

A friend of mine had the exact same issue with the exact same boots. He has been skiing HARD for four years on the repaired boots.

OF course, if you can get free replacements as Sixhusbands suggested..well, that's better than any of our advice! ;)

canoehead
03-14-2008, 11:08
I was a big fan of the sundowner, and after trying the ASOLO boot I won't go back.

joehiker22
03-14-2008, 13:41
they are 2004 vasque sundowner mx2 boots, made in italy.

here is a pic of jaybird's boots: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9834&catid=member&imageuser=656

mine are the same model, with more wear.

I've tried shoegoo before- the fix lasted about 3 days of hiking. I think I need some of the original heat-activated glue to bond the soles to the uppers, hence my question.

joehiker22
03-14-2008, 13:45
i know they still make sundowners, just not my exact model- i have an attachment to these boots for sentimental reasons. i looked at the new sundowners at ems yesterday.

i don't use them for a lot of hiking- i've got trailrunners and lighter fabric boots that get a lot more use than my leather boots.

this specific model of boot hasn't been made for a few years, so vasque won't warranty them with a new model- besides, i don't want new boots.

joehiker22
03-14-2008, 13:45
Since the materials all sound like they are in good shape, I've used simple contact cement with great success in the past with similar repairs. Of course, you might hear from others to use Goop, or some combination of glues.

If you want details repair procedures I have done, let me know....otherwise I won't waste the "chatter".

sure, post your techniques up. i'm curious even if i don't end up using them.