PDA

View Full Version : Bird Cage Hostel?

Capt Chaos
01-20-2004, 19:43
I met this dude at trial days 2003 that said he owned the Bird Cage Hostel in Vermont. I have no clue what he said his name was or what town the Hostel was in but does anyone know who or where this guy is? He really seemed like a nice guy. He was in I would say his late forties or early fifties and drove a Chevy Venture Van.

Over and Out,
Captain of The Chaos

A-Train
01-20-2004, 20:47
Probably talking about Rob Bird, the owner of The Bird Cage Hostel in Dalton Mass. He has never been printed in a book, though hes taken in hikers this year and I believe 02 as well. I stayed at Tom Levardi's so I can't comment. Think Rob works at the shell station in town.

steve hiker
01-20-2004, 23:55
Sounds like a birdbrain to me. Works at a gas station, drives a Chevy Van. Probably picks up female hitch-hikers and puts them out in towns so small you can throw a rock from end to end.

screwysquirrel
01-21-2004, 06:02
How do you know? Are you his helper? :confused:

prozac
01-21-2004, 08:37
I had the pleasure of meeting Rob last fall in Dalton and while I didn't stay at his place, he let me hang in his gas station while waiting for a bus to the mall. Struck me as a real down to earth guy who liked helping thruhikers. DefinatelyTrail Angel of the first order.

Blue Jay
01-21-2004, 08:40
Sounds like a birdbrain to me. Works at a gas station, drives a Chevy Van. Probably picks up female hitch-hikers and puts them out in towns so small you can throw a rock from end to end.

Clearly you have never been to Dalton, most likely never out of the county where you were born. We birds have massive brains compared to yours. Rob also has a heart, where you merely have a hole in your chest.

jollies
01-21-2004, 10:14
Rob Bird was one of the most quality people I ever met on the trail. I had the privalege of staying with him for a few days free of charge, got to see his band play, and just hung out with him and talked. The guy is certainly down to Earth, and helped a lot of hikers with personal troubles they were having. I'll never forget when I walked up to his Shell station in the pouring rain, and he came down to pick me up and said "You look like you could use a hot shower." Never asked anything from me, and we still keep in touch today.

ganj
01-21-2004, 14:58
You will be seriously hard pressed to find a place along the AT that is done by someone more caring and interested in thru-hikers. I stayed there in 2002 and remains one of the top two favorite places along the trail (other being The Cabin).

Its not a hostel, this is his home. You sleep in his house, use his washer/dryer, his computer, kitchen, fridge, etc. He is genuinely a good person. I hope to see his good services continued and not to see his kindness spoiled by some ungrateful or abusive hikers.

Capt Chaos
01-21-2004, 16:25
This is the guy. I could not seem to remember his name but that sounds like what it was. He was truly a quality guy to just hang out with at trail daze. Does anyone know any kind of contact info for him? Thanks a lot guys for the help.

Over and Out,
Captain of The Chaos

jollies
01-21-2004, 16:45
Contact me privately and I will gladly put you in touch with him.

waldo
02-11-2004, 12:25
Quality dude ..... i still keep in touch with this old friend ..... Rob is a great example of the kindness hikers are blessed with while hiking!!!!! Willk that is uncalled for and extremely disrespectful .... Rob is a class act, something you should strive for my friend .... you could learn a lot from him

Waldo ME-GA'03

Jack Tarlin
02-11-2004, 16:42
I have not had the good fortune to either meet Rob or to stay at his place, as I always seem to stay with Tom Levardi when I get to Dalton, but I heard NOTHING but excellent things about this guy. I hope he's around this year.

Twofiddy
06-20-2004, 17:53

When I was in town we picked up Female Hitch Hikers!! Actually they were just cute Thru Hikers that were needing a ride to Rob's house.

Either way, this guy, this place, it is one of Three that I demand that any Thru-Hiker does not miss. Janet and Tilly Woods run the other two.

Anyhow make sure that you are in Dalton on a weekend when Rob Birds Band, Just in Kase plays. Rob will take you to the club where the band is playing, and it is a blast.

When I was there the band played at Dalton VFW and what a blast it was. We danced with so many Milfs that night while the fat beer drinking husbands were slumped over the bar, and even a few other hot gals including the daughters of a few of the band members. It was a great time on the trail!

DONT MISS IT!!

Oh and Rob if you are reading this post I hope to get back before September to see the band again!!

Rob Bird does all of this from the kindness of his heart. Till you hear his own personal stories why he does this, you dont have a clue....

Jack you gotta hit Dalton on a weekend and go with the hikers to see the band... I heard that the replace words in that song "I love this bar" when the hikers are at the club in the verse that notes Hitch Hikers.... replaced with Apppalachian Trail Hikers....

A-Train
06-20-2004, 21:21
When out hiking in Vermont last week I hiked with Pickle and Peanut for a couple days. They had nothing but GREAT things to say about Rob. They said he was the coolest and nicest guy they met on the whole trip. He let them slack for a couple days and doens't want any money. Doesn't wanna be printed in the guidebooks either.