PDA

View Full Version : Can you see Mt Rogers from Roan Highlands?

wilconow
03-14-2008, 13:56
Just curious. I was reading a journal entry (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=162167) that talked about seeing Mt Rogers and Grandfather from the Humps. I knew I saw Grandfather, for some reason Mt Rogers seemed too far away. Generally I have no idea what Mountain I'm looking at. No fault but my own

Lion King
03-14-2008, 13:57
You cant even see Mt Rogers from the top of Mt Rogers.:D

wilconow
03-14-2008, 14:00
You cant even see Mt Rogers from the top of Mt Rogers.:D

Good point. I did put my foot on the high point marker though.

grizzlyadam
03-14-2008, 14:31
you can see grandfather, the monstrosity on sugar mountain, the humps, and the slopes of beech mountain from the highlands, so shouldn't it work the other way around too?

mlkelley
03-14-2008, 14:33
Love the new avitar LK. totally rocks!

Blissful
03-14-2008, 14:38
Wish I knew sometimes what I am looking at from those summits. Sigh.

CaseyB
03-14-2008, 14:53
Short answer, yes.

Rain Man
03-14-2008, 15:12
... Generally I have no idea what Mountain I'm looking at. No fault but my own

Since it's your fault, will you take the blame because I usually have no idea what mountains I'm looking at either?!!! LOL

I'll be on "the Humps" next weekend. I'd love to know what mountains I can see from there and how to identify them.

Rain:sunMan

Flush2wice
03-14-2008, 15:14
I saw a photo of the Charlotte skyline shot from the balds on a particularly clear day last fall.

Groucho
03-14-2008, 17:07
Short answer, yes.

Should be able to on a decent day. Attachment shows an ~44 mile clear shot from Hump to Mt. Rogers. Scroll down for profile.

e-doc
03-14-2008, 17:39
I saw a photo of the Charlotte skyline shot from the balds on a particularly clear day last fall.

You cannot see Charlotte (The tall buildings) from the Highlands. You can from Grandfather on a crisp winter day after a cold front has moved through.

You can see the entire Black Mt ridge, Humpback, some peaks in Linville Gorge, Snake, Rich Mt Bald, Elk Knob, Holsten and Iron Mts; and the above mentioned peaks

Flush2wice
03-14-2008, 17:49
You cannot see Charlotte (The tall buildings) from the Highlands. You can from Grandfather on a crisp winter day after a cold front has moved through.

You can see the entire Black Mt ridge, Humpback, some peaks in Linville Gorge, Snake, Rich Mt Bald, Elk Knob, Holsten and Iron Mts; and the above mentioned peaks
I saw the photo.

BR360
03-14-2008, 19:31

This is correct. I saw a photo of Ireland (Kathy) while on the Humps last year.:D

Gray Blazer
03-14-2008, 22:07
I'm sure there are other summits where you can do this. I like Water Rock Knob off the BRP. You can see the AT ridgeline from Wayah Bald to Mt Cammerer. I worked out the mileage one time, but I can't recall it right now. If there is a theme to my WB gallery it is I try to get views of the AT in the distance. One of my favorite AT summits is Camp Creek Bald. I've never had a view back to the Smokeys yet. But on a clear day you can see the AT Route accross the Balds, Big and Little Bald, Unaka and Roan. Nice view of the Blacks, also.

Groucho
03-14-2008, 22:15
you can see grandfather, the monstrosity on sugar mountain, the humps, and the slopes of beech mountain from the highlands, so shouldn't it work the other way around too?

You can also see the monstrosity on Sugar from Whitetop (clearing below the summit). At least, the lights are visible at night; I've never seen the building during the day.

Flush2wice
03-14-2008, 22:16
I saw it with my eye. it was up there. look.
Seriously, I'm trying to track it down to post here. It was on Ray's weather.com. Photo of the day, but he doesn't archive them. I e-mailed a request to track it down....

Rentman
03-14-2008, 22:18
There is a State Park in North Carolina, South Mtn. State Park, were you can see the Charlotte Skyline from one of the outcroppings. This State Park is about 70 miles away from Charlotte. On a good clear day you can bearly pick out the skyline so I highly doubt you can see it from Highlands.......:-?

Hikerhead
03-14-2008, 22:36
This might be the picture you're thinking of. It was shot from Grandfathers Mtn.
http://www.grandfather.com/photo_tours/journal/journal_2-17-07.php

soad
03-15-2008, 12:44
This site has panoramas and peak identification of some of the more popular mtns in NC and GA. For some reason the Mt. Mitchell panorama was done on a VERY hazy day....

http://masterviews.home.att.net/

double j
03-15-2008, 17:55
veiw from grayson highlands

double j
03-15-2008, 17:57
thomas knob shelter

CaseyB
03-15-2008, 18:33
This site has panoramas and peak identification of some of the more popular mtns in NC and GA. For some reason the Mt. Mitchell panorama was done on a VERY hazy day....

http://masterviews.home.att.net/

Thanks, just added that to my bookmarks.

This might be the picture you're thinking of. It was shot from Grandfathers Mtn.

I love those views from Blue Ridge places like GF, Peaks of Otter, etc.....look one way & it's mountains and look the other & its basically just flat to the horizon-kind of like looking out at the ocean, you can see the curvature of the Earth.

Flush2wice
03-15-2008, 21:17
That ain't it.
Ray showed 2 photos a couple days apart. 1st was Charlotte skyline from Roan, 2nd was Charlotte skyline from Grandfather. I've e-mailed him twice about it and have gotten no response. Apparently, he doesn't archive photos more than 2 days. I can't prove anything other than to say that I saw the photo and my recollection is that it claimed to be shot from Roan. It could be that my memory is bad, or that the photo was a hoax or mis-identified. Or maybe you can see Charlotte from the Roan. I'll keep trying to track it down. I'll even call him. Whether I'm right or wrong I'll post it here.

CaseyB
03-16-2008, 01:58
My personal opinion, just think'n out loud, you couldn't see Charlotte from Roan because GF and a number of other mtns would be in your way. One of the things that makes GF's view so awesome is the fact that it is on the border of the mountains....everything to the southeast is flat & below it.

Flush2wice
03-16-2008, 09:39
My personal opinion, just think'n out loud, you couldn't see Charlotte from Roan because GF and a number of other mtns would be in your way. One of the things that makes GF's view so awesome is the fact that it is on the border of the mountains....everything to the southeast is flat & below it.
Grandfather is due east of Roan. Charlotte is south east.

Reminds me of a cool story- about 4 years ago I was flying home from Cincinatti to Charlotte. I actually live on the west slope of Roan but I was flying out of Charlotte. I was sitting there reading and I felt the plane making a turn. I look out and notice we are over a huge mountain. It was winter and I could see the terrain real well. I notice the road on top and immediately identify it as the Roan. So I lean over a bit more and look straight down- There's my house! We were right over the top of it. I felt like saying "let me out here!". 15 minutes later we were landing in Charlotte but I had to negotiate baggage claim, shuttle to long term parking then the 2 hour drive home.