PDA

View Full Version : Sharing gear with family member on hike

10-K
03-14-2008, 14:32
So... My son and I are set to hike from Damascus to Erwin 1 month from today. I'm fiddling around with the gear making sure we're covered and I'm wondering how you folks handle sharing gear with family members you're hiking with.

I'm wondering if we would be better off with 2 solo shelters or 1 tent for two people. What about stoves - 2 stoves or 1. Obviously there's a lot of duplicity that we could eliminate to make for lighter pack weights but on the other hand it would be nice to have the capability to be independent of one another either by accident or design.

He's about to turn 17 - I'd like to leave some latitude for us to not necessarily have to hike together all the time. If one of us wanted to hike ahead of the other and meet at a hostel for instance. Hmmm.. I guess I'm answering my own question, eh?

Thrasher
03-14-2008, 14:53
I'd let your son carry his own stuff, stove, tent, etc. I would think you'd both me more comfortable in your own tents and whatever you cook and eat. Just make some alcohol stoves. I made a really easy one yesterday and it worked great and I really liked that it doesn't need a pot stand. You may want to get a windscreen made for it. I used HEET for fuel from the automotive section. Check it out, http://zenstoves.net/LowPressure.htm I made the red bull one (Mini Zen Chimney/Sideburner Stove). I'm getting a pocket rocket and the new GSI dualist cook set for my wife and I to share on trips. Everything fits inside the cook set including the pocket rocket and a fuel canister, so if you want to share, check out the dualist cookset. My wife and I share a tent, but for father and son who's 17, I'd go with two solo tents.

Summit
03-14-2008, 17:15
One tent - depends on if neither of you have problems sleeping on the ground. One person tossing and turning can be a huge irritant to the other party. If you both sleep like logs, I'd go with one tent, one of you carry the tent, the other carry the fly, poles, and stakes.

One stove - definitely doable, whether you're cooking a meal for two in one big pot, or doing freezer bag / Mtn. House meals, you can both eat together, just let the first bag steep a little longer than the second. Divide the weight of the stove and other cooking accessories as evenly as possible.

Each carry your own food, clothing, and personal items. Have fun! ;)

bigcranky
03-14-2008, 21:46
It's possible to share gear, sure. For a couple, who want to stay together, it works pretty well. (Though I would advise not splitting up things like the tent -- that way if you get separated at least one of you has a usable shelter, rather than both being without a shelter.)

But for a hike with your 17-year old son, I'd vote for separate gear. I remember running into a guy at Kincora a few years back, hiking with his son and daughter. His son was a day ahead of him -- leaving the hostel as he arrived. They had made plans to simply meet up in Damascus to end the hike. So, if you anticipate that your son has the experience and skill set to hike alone, or with other young hikers that you meet on the trail, it makes sense that he be able to do so.

When I go with my regular hiking partner, we take our own gear, as if we were solo. When I hike with my wife, we share gear.

Skidsteer
03-14-2008, 21:48
17 years old?

Separate gear if at all possible.

LIhikers
03-15-2008, 18:09
Share your items, that doesn't mean you can't separate as long as at least one of you are willing to do some cowboy camping and eat cold food for a day or two.

Blissful
03-15-2008, 21:05
So... My son and I are set to hike from Damascus to Erwin 1 month from today. I'm fiddling around with the gear making sure we're covered and I'm wondering how you folks handle sharing gear with family members you're hiking with.

I'm wondering if we would be better off with 2 solo shelters or 1 tent for two people. What about stoves - 2 stoves or 1. Obviously there's a lot of duplicity that we could eliminate to make for lighter pack weights but on the other hand it would be nice to have the capability to be independent of one another either by accident or design.

He's about to turn 17 - I'd like to leave some latitude for us to not necessarily have to hike together all the time. If one of us wanted to hike ahead of the other and meet at a hostel for instance. Hmmm.. I guess I'm answering my own question, eh?

I hiked with my then 16 yr old last year. We shared a tent and a stove and we also split the food (I packed my own lunch each day though). We didn't hike together but we showed up at the same place each night.

The one time my son went off on his own up in CT he was back with us in two days and stayed that way - didn't like being on his own all that much and there weren't many hikers around either. May be a different case with you and the territory you are covering.