PDA

View Full Version : Getting off the trail, then back on

quasarr
03-14-2008, 15:07
So I'm planning a SOBO thru starting in late June. My best friend is getting married in October and I'm a bridesmaid. the wedding is in Las Vegas. It would be a 3 or 4 day affair - fly out Thursday, wedding Friday, and I can fly back Saturday or Sunday depending how much I want to gamble.

Has anyone done anything like this? Obviously it's hard to know where I'll be, but I figure I can make a general guess to buy my plane ticket. If I'm ahead or behind I can take a bus or taxi.

PS - since I'm a bridesmaid, am I supposed to get a gift?

PPS - what game is most likely to win me a massive fortune??? :banana

Peaks
03-14-2008, 16:52
It's not unusual for people to get off the trail for reasons such as yours, and then return.

Evil Eye
03-14-2008, 17:54
You've got the right idea - and by Oct. you'll be familiar with your pace and with "Trail Life" - and be able to make an educated guess a few weeks out as to the most convenient airport. Check on this website for shuttles &/or most hostels have contacts.

I left the trail twice to visit my daughters last year on my thru & all worked out well. Would suggest you have a couple of bailouts for each - I flew from Richmond but bailed off the trail in MonteBello - just did not make it to my original target of Waynesboro in time.

Heading SOBO you'd likely be around Richmond (from Waynesboro),Roanoke, TRI-city (near Erwin, TN), Knoxville (the Smokies), etc.

enjoy your Thru -

Be Safe,

Evil Eye

Doughnut
03-14-2008, 17:58
PPS - what game is most likely to win me a massive fortune??? :banana[/quote]
Progressive slots, pure chance, but a huge payout for a lucky individual.
Look for the Marquis numbers above the machines, they are linked to other machines and you'll see the amount constantly changing, play the max coins, that's the only way a progressive will hit,

I almost hit one in Tunica, I won 1500, one more click and I would have won 18,000.

doughNut

mudhead
03-14-2008, 19:06
Powerball ticket. Come to daddy.

StarLyte
03-14-2008, 19:11
Some hikers leave the Trail for less reasons.

When you return, make sure you touch your foot on the last step you took on the A.T.

Frosty
03-14-2008, 19:29
So I'm planning a SOBO thru starting in late June. My best friend is getting married in October and I'm a bridesmaid. the wedding is in Las Vegas. It would be a 3 or 4 day affair - fly out Thursday, wedding Friday, and I can fly back Saturday or Sunday depending how much I want to gamble.

Has anyone done anything like this? Obviously it's hard to know where I'll be, but I figure I can make a general guess to buy my plane ticket. If I'm ahead or behind I can take a bus or taxi.

PS - since I'm a bridesmaid, am I supposed to get a gift?

PPS - what game is most likely to win me a massive fortune??? :bananaI know at least two hikers did it in 2003. One's hiking partner waited, the other went on.

Here are the journal pages where each LEFT the trail. You can read the following journal pages to see how it worked out:

Liteshoe:
http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=41814

Wench:
http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=47161

Hotdog (Wench's hiking partner)
http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=49730