PDA

View Full Version : Section recommendation

mudhen12345
03-14-2008, 15:59
What is the best 50 to 60 mile section of the trail to hike in mid-April? We are especially interested in beautiful scenery and a challenging hike.

Evil Eye
03-14-2008, 18:04
"Best" is surely relative - but I'd suggest Damascus to Mt Rogers through the Grayson Highlands or Perisburg(sp) to Troutville with McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, Dragon Tooth, etc.

jamarshall
03-14-2008, 20:30
This may sound strange, but I really enjoyed New Jersey in April. A lot more like New England than I expected it to be, but easier to get to from PA. I did it from the NY border south to Delaware Water Gap.

emerald
03-15-2008, 02:04
Somewhere far enough south so as to really experience Appalachian spring. Traditionally, that's why northbound thru-hikers were on the AT and they timed their hikes to maximize their exposure to it. What I'm talking about primarily is singing birds on their breeding territories and spring-blooming, native herbaceous plants in the forest understory.

Most native plant sales, bird or wildflower walks occur around Mother's Day. You'd need to be pretty far south or at a low elevation to get the full effect mid-April. In Pennsylvania, the native plants will not be putting on their best show until later.

I hope I have helped you somewhat and you really didn't need to start another thread to get the answers you desired. They would have come.

MamaCat
03-15-2008, 13:45
Most native plant sales and wildflower walks occur around Mother's Day. You'd need to be pretty far south or at a low elevation to get the full effect mid-April. In Pennsylvania, the native plants will not be putting on their best show until later.

Shade of Gray is right about needing to be far south in mid april. Last weekend, Blood Mtn had a dust of snow. By mid April, GA should have some foliage.

jamarshall
03-15-2008, 14:48
I like being out when the trees are just getting leaves in the valleys, so you still have views from the ridges. And no bugs or poison ivy. Mid to late April has been good for everywhere from NY to SNP. You can see the green line coming up the mountains - pretty cool. Temps have been everywhere from mid eighties in MD, to 30's and sleet in PA.

New Jersey just happened to be one of my favorites.

Jaybird62
03-15-2008, 15:21
This may sound strange, but I really enjoyed New Jersey in April. A lot more like New England than I expected it to be, but easier to get to from PA. I did it from the NY border south to Delaware Water Gap.
Just curious, did you see any bears in this section during that time of the year?

Tennessee Viking
03-15-2008, 17:00
What is the best 50 to 60 mile section of the trail to hike in mid-April? We are especially interested in beautiful scenery and a challenging hike.
Marion to Damascus
Erwin to Dennis Cove maybe.
Standing Bear Farm to Hot Springs.

Any futher south you will hiking with the main wave.

le loupe
03-15-2008, 17:13
I'm planning this section for my first bit- Its in the 55 mile range- I can knock out a whole state, if you will, and build from there on successive hikes

jamarshall
03-16-2008, 09:15
I didn't see any bears in late April. When I talked to the ranger at Wawayanda, he said they were up and about, but no problems had been reported yet. Most NJ shelters have bear boxes.

I like hiking in April because the critters seem to have forgotten over the winter that shelters = food.

I'm doing CT this spring. I did NY last year and everyone told me CT was "better".