PDA

View Full Version : Water Filter Replacements

tucker0104
03-14-2008, 16:02
I was just wondering how long a water filter last before you had to replace it. I am sure I do not fall into the category of to many gallons pumped but I did use it and it has been sitting in my garage and am thinking about using it again. Is there a time frame that you should replace it?

take-a-knee
03-14-2008, 16:20
I was just wondering how long a water filter last before you had to replace it. I am sure I do not fall into the category of to many gallons pumped but I did use it and it has been sitting in my garage and am thinking about using it again. Is there a time frame that you should replace it?

If you put it up wet probably now. If it was properly stored (dry) and all the o-rings are good (oil them with mineral oil) and it pumps fine it should be good to go. Some filters are designed to clog when they go bad. Some (usu ceramic) can have their outer surfaces scrubbed to restore flow. Check your owner's manual/website.

adamkrz
03-14-2008, 16:23
I always take mine apart to dry the cartridge after any use otherwise you'll get alot of funk growing on it, I just replaced my cartridge after 5 years for my Pur hiker and it still looked good..

Peaks
03-14-2008, 16:46
One rule of thumb for the Katadyn Hiker filters is about 2 months. Because Katadyn gaurantees their cartridges for a year, most outfitters along the AT will swap out cartridges for free.

tucker0104
03-14-2008, 17:40
Well, I took it out and made sure it was dry. I guess I need to just lube the O-ring and hopefully it will work some. I will probably try it tonight and lay it out to dry.