PDA

View Full Version : Old Man's Cave section (Ohio)

Pony
03-14-2008, 18:12
In two weeks I am going on a 3 night 4 day shakedown hike through this area. It is a 43 mile section on the Buckeye Trail, which is also part of the ADT and the NCT, through SE Ohio.

I have been looking for info about camping while backpacking. Most of Ohio is not too friendly to backpacking (I have heard stories of people being woke up in the middle of the night with police threatening to charge them with vagrancy), and all I can seem to find is info about family campgrounds, and RV campgrounds. I'm somewhat familiar with the area, but my experience there has been limited to day hikes. If anyone has camped in this area or is familiar with camping rules I would appreciate it if you could inform me. Thank you for any input.

sheepdog
03-14-2008, 19:32
You might try the North Country Scenic Trail www.northcountrytrail.org/ web site. They may be able to point you in the right direction. I've hiked chunks of it in Northern Michigan. It's still a new trail but should be good once completed. I believe it will be about 4,000 miles long and the longest trail in the US.

emerald
03-14-2008, 19:35
I know I read information on hiking in the area you mentioned recently when searching online for information about Emma Gatewood. I'll see what I can find.

Lugnut
03-14-2008, 19:43
Last I knew camping was permitted only in campgrounds in Hocking Hills State Park. However, it's rugged enough in spots that it could be done. Just don't stay too close to one of the major attractions such as Ash Cave or Old Man's cave.

emerald
03-14-2008, 20:00
Click on Hocking Hills State Park (http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/743/Default.aspx) for more information. You'll find a phone number. Call and ask; only then will you know and be legal. Why create problems for yourself and others?

I'm not sure anymore where I saw information on Emma Gatewood leading hikes there years ago. If I remember correctly, it was one of her favorite places.

To view Hocking Hills State Park's Special Events Calendar for 2008 (http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/2/parks/pdf/hockingnaturalistspecial2008.pdf), click on that link you just passed.

Bob S
03-14-2008, 20:14
I camp there about every other year, but it’s in a camp ground.

I had this info on my Palm Pilot give them a call and get it directly from the horses mouth.

Hocking Hills State Park

19852 St. Rt. 664 South
Logan, Ohio 43138
Park Office (740) 385-6842
Reservations (740) 385-6841

otterman
03-14-2008, 20:27
You might want to check with Lion King. He did that section on his hike. He didn't seem to have any trouble finding places to camp, but he did say that the section south of Hocking Hills was very poorly marked, overgrown, and difficult to follow.

OHBob
03-14-2008, 20:39
Found the following in the Ohio Department of Natural Resources site for the parks.

Camping is allowed in designated areas only. Off-trail camping is not permitted in Ohio State Parks.

I've only camped at the designed spots at Hocking Hills -- they do have a "primitive site" not too far from the car campground.

If you're a bit flexible for your shakedown hike, maybe go to Zaleski State Park, not too far from Athens Ohio in the southern part of the state. They also only allow camping in sites, but at least they're designed for those who hike in.

Bob S
03-14-2008, 20:57
Found the following in the Ohio Department of Natural Resources site for the parks.

Camping is allowed in designated areas only. Off-trail camping is not permitted in Ohio State Parks.

I've only camped at the designed spots at Hocking Hills -- they do have a "primitive site" not too far from the car campground.

If you're a bit flexible for your shakedown hike, maybe go to Zaleski State Park, not too far from Athens Ohio in the southern part of the state. They also only allow camping in sites, but at least they're designed for those who hike in.

I camped in the primitive site 2-years ago. It’s mostly made for large groups (Boy Scouts) I liked it more then the main area as did all that were in my group. It’s about ¾ mile long road with camp sites on each side, at the end is a turn around.. the beast sites are at the end of the road. It’s about 8-min from the main camp ground.

I was there on the fourth of July weekend and the only other people in the primitive area (30 or 40 sites in this area) was a Boy Scout troop. It was like our own private camp. But the main camping area was packed full.

ChadFromOhio
03-14-2008, 21:36
It's hard to do 35 continuos miles here in Ohio and also be able to camp. Check out Burr Oak Lake State Park and the adjacent Wildcat Hollow Trail in Wayne National Forest. It shouldn't be too hard to connect the two trail systems using country roads (I think they're only a couple miles apart anyway.) Also, because half of it is on National Forest (Wildcat) you can camp wherever you want. I've also noticed campsites marked on the Burr Oak Map for the Lake trails. You should be able to find topos on line for both at the state park and Wayne National Forest websites.

T-Dubs
03-14-2008, 21:45
Shawnee State Forest may be an option, too, if your ADT plans don't come together. There's close to 60 miles of trails in 2 loops. Good luck with your shakedown. It sounds like fun. I went past Zaleski SF last Monday coming home from Athens on Rte. 50. I would have stopped but it was late, and I'm getting old.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forests/shawnee/tabid/5166/Default.aspx

TWS

Flush2wice
03-14-2008, 22:20
I would advise you to do all your camping/backpacking outside of Ohio.
There are some halfway decent day-hiking areas there.

emerald
03-15-2008, 00:22
From what I've seen in this thread alone, there are many hiking/camping options in Ohio to say nothing of long-distance hiking options. Some people need to open their minds a bit and become more flexible, especially when considering hiking through more populated areas.

Most places are not anti-hiking and the people who live there would be happy to have you visit what they consider to be their home. Not all places are the same and hikers should not expect uniformity.

Pony
03-15-2008, 21:00
Thanks for the info everyone. I would love to do my backpacking outside of Ohio, but I'll get plenty of that in about a month. For convenience sake I chose somewhere close to home and as far as flexibility goes I fully intend on following the rules that have been set by the state, I just wanted to explore my options. I don't neccesarily think that folks in Ohio are anti backpacking, I think it's more of a question of education. Outdoor activities here usually consist of hunting and fishing. Backpacking is just something that people know very little about. For instance, a hiker coming out of the woods with four days of dirt and sweat on them, trying to hitch hike would probably be suspect. I could be wrong on this, and hope that I am.

Shades of Gray, you make a good point. I seem to remember reading about someone who hiked the entire Buckeye trail (1440miles) and they said they would ask people if they could camp in their yards or fields, and was only refused twice. Anyway, I'll find a way to make it work legally. Thanks again, and if you hear anything else let me know. I'll give everyone the scoop when I get back.

p.s. T-dubs, are you still going to be on the trail next month? I should be on the Approach trail on 4-23. See you on the trail.

emerald
03-15-2008, 21:25
Shades of Gray, you make a good point.

Thanks, it's gratifying to learn someone's reading what I wrote and thought I was making sense.

In areas where locals are not familiar with footpaths in their communities and hiking, it's especially important hikers are on their best behavior and do everything they are able to educate people they meet. Their efforts can make a big difference to other hikers who come along later.

Best wishes and happy trails to you. I look forward to reading about your adventures.

Mr HaHa
03-15-2008, 22:51
Check out Zaleski. Has about a 15 mile loop trail with designated campsites along it. No facilities, no people, and some really nice views. Some very good ups and downs to get the body in shape. You will be pleasently suprised.

hammock engineer
03-15-2008, 23:10
A side note on Shawnee state forest. It says on their website to wear pants because the trail is overgrown in places. I went there in September a couple years ago and it is completly true. Lots of thorn bushes growing in the trails. I also remember parts of the trail almost following the middle of the creek. Might think twice after all the rain we have been getting around here.

elray
03-15-2008, 23:43
I will also second the Zaleski Backpack Trail. It's muddy and challenging but you'll have it mostly to yourself this time of the year. There is also water provided at the three designated campsites saving a lot of time when setting up camp.

bigben
03-17-2008, 09:35
I just did Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave and back this past weekend. Don't skip this section just because there's no good "free" hiking. Just pay $20 and camp in the non-electric sites of the main campground. There's a 1/4 mile trail leading from Old Man's Cave gorge trail to the campground. Just make so you END your hike for that day at Old Man's Cave and you'll be fine.

Bigben

Pony
03-17-2008, 11:47
Thanks for the info on Zaleski, that seems to be more of what I am looking as far as a shakedown goes. I may adjust my plans to hit both places since Hocking Hills is on my way to Zaleski. I don't know how I overlooked Zaleski, I read in Backpacker a few months ago that they voted it one of the top 5 hikes in the midwest. Once again, thanks for the input, I'll keep you all updated.

T-Dubs
03-17-2008, 12:52
T-dubs, are you still going to be on the trail next month? I should be on the Approach trail on 4-23. See you on the trail.

(Not to take this thread off course)

My plans may change some. My 'worn-out-old-man' plantar fasciitis is acting up again. If it doesn't improve soon, I'll have to postpone my section hike. I also have a job interview next Monday so this 'worn-out-once-retired-guy' may be back in the work force.

Have a good hike,
TWS

Pony
03-17-2008, 12:54
Good luck to you, I hope everything works out.

max patch
03-17-2008, 12:59
I don't have my maps handy, but a couple years ago we did a loop hike that incorporated Ash and Old Mans. The return trail was (something) horse trail. The horse trail was a slurry of horse crap and water. Luckily, my trail runners were just about wore out when I did this hike as they stunk too bad to keep. I threw them away the next day with no misgivings whatsoever.

Lion King
03-17-2008, 14:01
Check out my video clips on the Buckeye stretch and for the love of GOD pay attention as there are some very unmarked and overgrown areas.

I camped in Hocking Hills state park in the middle of the river and tented on a rock.

I feel if you are in the wilderness and use proper LNT then camp where ever. Pay attention to private land and dont camp by roads, but there are PLENTY of places to camp along the Buckeye stretch if you want to.

here are some of the Buckeye Stretches

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xHpJBgzpzgg&feature=user

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oiIZyP4Nu7c&feature=user

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hL49loOl6Rw&feature=user

Be prepared to bushwahck

tlbj6142
03-17-2008, 14:57
I don't know how I overlooked Zaleski,You live in Ohio and haven't been to Zaleski? Weird. Sort of thought that is where every Ohio backpacker cut their teeth.

I've been there a few times. The first time I went, my brother and I did the whole thing (~25 miles), including the rarely walked (and poorly blazed) north loop. Here a map of the place. (http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/18/forests/pdf/ZaleskiBackpackBrochure_7.pdf) A buddy was there 1-2 years ago, and mentioned that some of the trails had re-routes due to logging. Might want to check the SF site (http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forests/zaleski/tabid/5171/Default.aspx) (or better yet call them) to see if that is still going on. At each of the 3 camp sites (C, D, H) there is a vault toilet and water (stored in a huge underground water tank).

FWIW, the trails in Shawnee (http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forests/shawnee/tabid/5166/Default.aspx) offer a bigger butt whoopin' than those in Zaleski. Plus there are 40+ miles of trails in Shawnee. Most of the campsites are like those in Zaleski (vault toilet and water), but at least one does not have water.

If you want something even closer, check out Tar Hollow (http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forests/tarhollow/tabid/5168/Default.aspx). Over 20 miles of trails. You can camp only in a few select locations. It is only 70 minutes from Columbus. I go there often for long day hikes (hiking the either the ~12mile North or ~8mile South loop). I have camped at the backpacker's camp located at the fire tower which is at the waist (center) of the two loops. So, you could hike the south loop, camp, hike north loop, repeat. The north loop is a bit tougher, but it isn't too bad. The South loop really only has 1 hard part and that is a very steep downhill about 2miles before you reach the camp. The loops are only marked in one direction (counter clockwise).

The other place in Ohio worth checking out is Lake Vesuvius (http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/wayne/trails.html). The outter loop trail is about 18 miles long. You can camp anywhere in the NE section of the trail. I day hiked the whole thing a few years ago. It isn't too difficult (though a bit overgrown), and there is a beautiful camping spot in this huge pine forest at the NE end of the lake.

PM me if you want more details....

HUNTHIKELIFT
03-20-2008, 23:26
I was just there last weekend and it was absolutely beautiful! The snow was melting and the falls were flowing. I still need to post up pics. Do the Grandma Gatewood trail. The most popular of all the Hocking Hills areas is Old Man's Cave, located on State Route 664. Here at the Upper Falls, the Grandma Gatewood Trail begins its six-mile course connecting three of the park's areas: Old Man's Cave to Cedar Falls to Ash Cave. This same trail has been designated as part of Ohio's Buckeye Trail as well as part of two national systems - the North Country Scenic Trail and America's Discovery Trail. Camping is only a mile or so away and is very cheap. But make sure to go on the off season. Shoot me a PM and I can answer any question you may have.

LIVESTRONG
03-23-2008, 08:03
Since lion king just came through here and yelled about our buckeye trail, I became a member and now I am maintaining about 10 miles north of old mans cave. I Just hope the next person to come through wont have it as bad as lion kiing did.

I would get the buckeye trail maps and use that to determine where to camp, the maps tell ya where you can camp for free. www.buckeyetrail.org (http://www.buckeyetrail.org)

Lion King
03-24-2008, 11:47
Since lion king just came through here and yelled about our buckeye trail, I became a member and now I am maintaining about 10 miles north of old mans cave. I Just hope the next person to come through wont have it as bad as lion kiing did.

I would get the buckeye trail maps and use that to determine where to camp, the maps tell ya where you can camp for free. www.buckeyetrail.org (http://www.buckeyetrail.org)

Awesome!

Thanks for your support of what could be a really great trail to hike for locals and out of staters.

It is very diverese and it covers a lot of distinct terrian and the folks there are super!

I think a bit of my bitching had to do with the fact that it was like 100 degrees everyday and humid and there was no water anywhere, plus the overgrown poison ivy didnt help :D

Those pics above with water flowing at HHSP are amazing as all water was barely a drip when I went through this summer.

Pony
03-24-2008, 12:27

I would get the buckeye trail maps and use that to determine where to camp, the maps tell ya where you can camp for free. www.buckeyetrail.org (http://www.buckeyetrail.org/)

That's really cool. I just got the map for the Old Man's Cave section the other day. My plans for my shakedown have changed a little though. I plan on doing a couple days at Zaleski S.P. and possibly a day at HHSP. However, after looking into the BT and getting some info from the BTA, it has me interested in getting involved with the trail whether it be maintenence, education or whatever. My plate's a little full right now with my thru coming up in a month, but definitely something I intend on looking into when I get back. Maybe pick some people's brain's while on the AT and put some of those lessons to use back home, when I get back. In between the farmland, there really is some nice scenery here in Ohio.

KevinAce
03-29-2008, 12:48
Great thread. I am in Dayton and have been looking for some good weekend hikes. Zaleski seems perfect. It's 11.5 miles the first day (then a campground with water) and 12 miles the second. I'm going to head that way April 5th and 6th.

emerald
03-29-2008, 15:30
This thread does seem to be stimulating people from Ohio to get outside and get involved!:)

Don't forget to post about your experiences when you return home.

KevinAce
03-30-2008, 13:18
Good idea - I will Shades. I'll take some pictures as well and post them.

HUNTHIKELIFT
03-30-2008, 14:20
Have fun KA. Here is a good topo map for ya to print out and get an idea of elevations. Also here is the link for topos of Ohio. Definitely post up pics!

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/aerial/Quads/QuadsGIF100dpi/Zaleski.GIF

(just click on map to magnify)

OHIO TOPOS

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/aerial/QuadList.asp?D=100dpi&F=GIF

Pony
03-31-2008, 12:31
Well, I decided to do Zaleski rather than Old Man's Cave. Thank you everyone for the heads up, Zaleski was really cool. I did 12.5 on day one then 14.5 the second day. I had planned to do another 9 on the third day, but I still had to drive to West Virginia to visit my grandmother, and after two days of rain the trail was basically a mudpit. I was concerned that it would take me a lot longer than expected, and I wanted to visit with Grandma for a while before I took the long walk, so I ended up only walking the 1.8 back to my car.

Anyway, everything went great. I got wet, muddy, cold, sore, tired and hungry and loved every minute of it. All of my gear seems to be in working order, and NO BLISTERS!! I was actually very surprised at how rugged it was. I pretty much had the forest to myself, I ran into three groups that were leaving as I was walking in, and then didn't see another person for about a day and a half. As I strolled into camp at the end of my second day there was a man and his two teenage sons already camped there with a fire going. They asked me where I had hiked and if I was training for something. When I told them, this led to a million questions about the trail, and the next thing I knew I was eating pork chops and warming up next to a fire. My first taste of trail magic. Very nice folks. Kudos to the ODNR, they seem to be managing the area very well, tons of large oak trees, and I saw two very large turkeys. Unfortunately I didn't get too many pictures, it rained a lot and I left my camera sealed up in my pack most of the time. I feel pretty confident in most of my gear and don't expect any big surprises, maybe a few small things that can be taken care of on the trail. This trip was exactly what I needed, after months of being cooped up indoors, all the planning was starting get tedious. It felt really good to finally put my feet to the trail, and now my spirits are soaring and I'm counting the days. 23 to go! Thanks again everyone.

tlbj6142
03-31-2008, 13:27
Well, I decided to do Zaleski rather than Old Man's Cave. Thank you everyone for the heads up, Zaleski was really cool. I did 12.5 on day one then 14.5 the second day. I had planned to do another 9 on the third day, From your mileage I can't figure out your exact route (I assumed you were using the Zaleski map (http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/18/forests/pdf/ZaleskiBackpackBrochure_7.pdf))? A-H the first day. Sleep at H. Hike out via 'O' after doing the NE loop (H --> H)? Where would you have done the "another 9" miles? Hike the lower loop using the cutoff trail (A-F-A)?

If so, how was the NE loop? The only time I hiked the NE loop, it was overgrown (appeared to be rarely used) and very poorly marked (lots of fading blazes), with quite a few crossing trails (which made it difficult given the fading blazes).

Pony
03-31-2008, 14:20
From your mileage I can't figure out your exact route (I assumed you were using the Zaleski map (http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/18/forests/pdf/ZaleskiBackpackBrochure_7.pdf))? A-H the first day. Sleep at H. Hike out via 'O' after doing the NE loop (H --> H)? Where would you have done the "another 9" miles? Hike the lower loop using the cutoff trail (A-F-A)?

A-H, sleep at H on day one. H-C on day two via the NW loop, continuing through the parking area and back to C, and planned on continuing back around the lower loop and using the cutoff trail back to the parking lot.

The NW loop could use some serious maintanence. There were quite a few blow downs, and at several points the blazing was confusing. In many areas, briars were growing all the way across the trail. It wasn't too bad this early in the year, but it looked like it would be pretty overgrown in the summer months. If it were cleaned up a little it would be really nice. The Carbondale forest was awesome, I didn't expect to be walking through 60 acres of 100ft pine trees. There were also some cool ponds and waterfalls. There was also more trash in this area, where it looked like people used to dump their garbage in the woods, many years ago. I saw part of a broken Dr. Pepper bottle that was at least 20 years old (16oz bottles that you returned to the store in the eight pack). It was obviously less used than the south loop. Who maintains the trails there? Could be some good opportunities to volunteer.

tlbj6142
03-31-2008, 15:02
The NW loop could use some serious maintanence.I assume you mean the NE loop (H--H), correct? If so, it sounds like not much has changed from my last trip around that loop (a few years ago). I think most folks just use the larger southern loop, and never go around the NE loop.

I'd have to think most weekend type hikers (and/or 'groups') typically do...

F: Parking-->C
Sa: C-->H (or just D if they are really lazy)
Su:H (via O) -->Parking

Or if they show up for a single overnight...

Parking-->D-->Parking.

Plus many folks are aware of the "gray blazed" C<-->D cutoff trail and use it as a shorter route to D from the parking lot.

I've seen campsite C and D quite crowed on a couple of trips. Quite a few groups (scouts, schools, churches, etc.) use Zaleski. And a few outfitters and/or hiking clubs use it for their 'Backpacking 101' trip.

Was their much logging? Last I heard there was some logging somewhere between D and H. Maybe it wasn't visible from the trail?

tlbj6142
03-31-2008, 15:10
There were also some cool ponds and waterfalls.Did you find the BM marker on the NE loop at the intersection of the 3 counties? It is labeled on the map as '15'. I remember at that location there were several 1.5'+ dia trees had been recently taken down by a beaver. We referred to the beaver as the "Tri-county monster beaver'" the rest of the trip.:rolleyes:

Pony
03-31-2008, 16:13
Yeah, I did mean NE loop. There was some evidence of logging but it didn't look like it was recently. There was one section between D and H where quite a few trees were gone. I got a picture of a tree probably about 1' in diameter that was totally chewed in half by a beaver, I'll try to post it later. However it was on the south loop where it looked like the creek was possibly dammed by a beaver (racoon creek? not sure). I passed '15' on the NE loop, but missed the marker, it did seem like there were a lot of downed trees in that area though, but it was raining and the temp had dropped so I kept moving.

KevinAce
03-31-2008, 16:21
Lots of great info here. I'm going to Zaleski this weekend. We're starting Saturday morning and doing A -> H, camping H, then doing H -> A (23.5 miles total). I was hoping for cold weather so I could see how my new sleeping bag held up (Big Agnes Zirkel)...but it looks like it's going to be a high of 65 and a low of 45. I guess I can't complain about that too much!

Pony
04-03-2008, 17:15
Have fun this weekend Kevin. If you stop by the forest office you can get a larger copy of the map that is somewhat glossy, and should hold up better than the one you can print off of your computer. Don't forget to get water at campsite D. I somehow missed it and was pretty parched by the time I strolled into campsite H about six miles later. Hopefully you'll get some good weather, I got pretty soggy but I didn't mind. Actually I'm kind of glad since I got to see how my gear held up in less than perfect conditions. Anyway, have a good time.

P.S. Almost forgot, when you get to ....... ah nevermind you'll see.

KevinAce
04-04-2008, 15:23
Ah thanks for the pointer on the map copy. The PDFs online are decent, but not too bad. I also couldn't find the interval on the topo online? How many feet between lines? 10?

The temperatures and precipitation look like they'll be ok but there has been a crap ton of rain in the area the past few weeks, and more notably today and yesterday. I have a feeling it's going to be a mud pit. Oh well! That's why we all go hikin' right?!

Damnit, don't leave me hanging. When I get to what?!?!

KevinAce
04-05-2008, 07:30
Welp off I go. I guess I'll have to discover this secret on my own. Be back tomorrow evening hopefully!

KevinAce
04-07-2008, 09:46
Have fun this weekend Kevin. If you stop by the forest office you can get a larger copy of the map that is somewhat glossy, and should hold up better than the one you can print off of your computer. Don't forget to get water at campsite D. I somehow missed it and was pretty parched by the time I strolled into campsite H about six miles later. Hopefully you'll get some good weather, I got pretty soggy but I didn't mind. Actually I'm kind of glad since I got to see how my gear held up in less than perfect conditions. Anyway, have a good time.

P.S. Almost forgot, when you get to ....... ah nevermind you'll see.I hope it wasn't "when you get to P", because yes that was quite confusing...

Pony
04-07-2008, 11:32
Yeah I was refering to the 25 or so unneccesary stream crossings that ended in about 100yds of mud with almost no blazing. It was kind of fun though and a good learning experience, I was pretty soaked by then anyway. As I went through that part I started laughing because I envisioned two guys marking the trail while drinking a bottle of whiskey, putting each blaze in a more arbitrary spot, all the while chuckling at the joke they were playing future hikers. Everything went well I'm assuming?

KevinAce
04-07-2008, 12:16
Yeah I was refering to the 25 or so unneccesary stream crossings that ended in about 100yds of mud with almost no blazing. It was kind of fun though and a good learning experience, I was pretty soaked by then anyway. As I went through that part I started laughing because I envisioned two guys marking the trail while drinking a bottle of whiskey, putting each blaze in a more arbitrary spot, all the while chuckling at the joke they were playing future hikers. Everything went well I'm assuming?Ah I think I missed that part. My two buddies did the full 23.5. I ended up doing about 18.5. After camping at the northeast camp, I went west until I hit 279 and walked the road back to the parking lot (missed all the streams you were talking about). My two friends definitely mentioned them tho. I'm going to post another thread with some pictures of the trail + review.

tlbj6142
04-07-2008, 12:28
Yeah I was referring to the 25 or so unnecessary stream crossings that ended in about 100yds of mud with almost no blazing. I recall the odd blazing in that location (isn't that just before you reach the street?). In the summer/fall there is almost no water along that valley, as I don't recall any water or mud, but I do remember jumping/walking across dry stream beds often.

KevinAce
04-07-2008, 13:21
Here's a link to my trip report/review: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=588353.

Yeah tlbj...the blazing after you reach P (edge of a side street) is not clear at all. You're supposed to go east to 278, south on 278 for a quarter mile, and you're there. One of my friends went left at 278 for a half mile, realized he was wrong (had the map, knew P -> finish was 0.3 miles), and turned back. My other friend without a map went left on 278 and right on a gravel road (which I believe leads to the campsite a few miles up) which also had orange blazes (so he says, I didn't go that way so I can't confirm). He went about 2 miles in the wrong direction (needless to say, he wasn't real thrilled about that).

Even after you hit 278 after going west from M/N, it's not real clear where to go. You're supposed to go a few hundred feet south on 278 then pick up the trail to the west...but there weren't any clear indicators of this.

Pony
04-10-2008, 23:18
I recall the odd blazing in that location (isn't that just before you reach the street?). In the summer/fall there is almost no water along that valley, as I don't recall any water or mud, but I do remember jumping/walking across dry stream beds often.

Yeah, it's just before the road, which made it a little easier to figure out where to go. By the time I got there it had rained on and off for about two days so there was plenty of water.

cathy
04-28-2008, 11:11
Ckeck with the buckeye trail people they may be able to supply names of people willing to let you camp on their land

HUNTHIKELIFT
08-12-2008, 20:30
Hey if you get the chance do the canopy tours! Its well worth it :)

http://www.hockinghillscanopytours.com/

tlbj6142
08-13-2008, 09:56
Hey if you get the chance do the canopy tours! Its well worth it :)

http://www.hockinghillscanopytours.com/I'm going to take my daughter sometime within the next few weeks. Looks like fun.

Gorp-Gobbler
08-13-2008, 11:06
I'm not sure if she actually lead hikes in that area but there is a stone with a bronze plaque attached long a path near the parking lot at Old Mans Cave. I saw it several years ago so I assume it is still there.
Click on Hocking Hills State Park (http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/743/Default.aspx) for more information. You'll find a phone number. Call and ask; only then will you know and be legal. Why create problems for yourself and others?

I'm not sure anymore where I saw information on Emma Gatewood leading hikes there years ago. If I remember correctly, it was one of her favorite places.

To view Hocking Hills State Park's Special Events Calendar for 2008 (http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/2/parks/pdf/hockingnaturalistspecial2008.pdf), click on that link you just passed.