PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping PADS

Ch4d
03-14-2008, 20:15
What kind of sleeping pads are everyone using? I'm limitless on cost for this one, but I want something ultralight that can be used year round on pretty much any surface.

-Ch4d

Tinker
03-14-2008, 20:19
Since you're only 22, I'd recommend Cascade Designs' Ridgerest. It's closed cell foam with a pattern which makes it feel thicker than it really is. For older folks, Thermarest pads and Big Agnes pads are great. The thicker the better for arthritic types.

Marta
03-14-2008, 20:58
I agree--start light and fairly cheap with closed-cell foam. CCF is just about indestructible, and warm when it's cold. If you absolutely can't sleep on one (and give it a few weeks, not just one night) then consider a Therm-A-Rest or Big Agnes pad.

I've got a big stack of pads that I've collected over the years. My current setup is 6 segments of Z-Rest, that double as my pack frame. If I'm on a trip where I can afford the weight and pack space, I add a Therm-A-Rest. If pack space is at a premium, I just go with the Z-Rest and tough it out.

I like having a generous hunk of CCF along because it makes a nice sitting pad for rest stops and for cooking. It also protects the Therm-A-Rest from puncture if I put it underneath. In very cold weather, I put it on top of the Therm-A-Rest to keep me warmer.

Lint
03-15-2008, 12:52
I'd skip the Z-Rest, they have a tendency to flatten out after a month or two of constant use. I use the Gossamer Gear nightlight torso pad and love it! These things will last an entire thru hike, no problem. Someone not used to a torso pad might wince at it's length, but once you learn to sleep on them they're perfect. If you desire something longer they have other pads as well.

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/nightlight_torso.html

Tinker
03-15-2008, 13:00
I had been looking at that one myself, but finances and the fact that my 1980 something Thermarest 3/4 pad is still leak-free, plus being a hammocker most of the year kept me from making the impulse buy. It's supposed to be more abrasion resistant than its competitors and warmer, too.

dessertrat
03-15-2008, 13:27
Walmart blue.

If you're pitching a tent on soft ground, try not using one if it's warm enough, also.

Summit
03-15-2008, 19:04
Yep, at 22 start with a closed cell foam pad . . . that is sure to hasten the onset of arthritis and age that back and body of yours before its time! :p :D

rafe
03-15-2008, 19:09
Thermarest Prolite 3 Short. 13 oz. My empty pack goes under my feet.

Jason of the Woods
03-15-2008, 19:47
Thermarest Prolite as well. Light enough and comfy most definately!

Thrasher
03-15-2008, 19:57
My wife and I enjoy our thermarest prolite 4's a lot. I know they are heavier than the 3's but we like how comfortable they are and we got them on sale.

Tobit
03-15-2008, 20:13
If I could have found a torso length inflatable that was 25" wide, I would have bought one. Instead, I splurged and just ordered an Exped SynMat 7 DLX. It's a bit heavy but my "big four" is still only around 5 lb. with the Exped.

take-a-knee
03-15-2008, 22:30
My wife and I enjoy our thermarest prolite 4's a lot. I know they are heavier than the 3's but we like how comfortable they are and we got them on sale.

Well, it may be heavier but it is also warmer in addition to being more comfortable.

Quoddy
03-16-2008, 10:41
Like "Lint", I like the Gossamer Gear Nightlight Torso pad (3.5 oz). I also use it for a pack virtual frame, so haven't got the mileage that "Lint" does. At $18.50, I just replace it when it gets a bit flattened out... usually at about two months. Another lightweight, and somewhat more comfortable option, is the Montbell 90 (10.2 oz) which can easily be used with the attaching pillow (2.3 oz). Still reasonably lightweight.