PDA

View Full Version : Sea to Summit eVac bags

Mrs Baggins
03-14-2008, 21:59
I've heard from some people that the new eVac bags are excellent. Being a person who will research things to death, I'd like to get a bunch more opinions. The bags are pricey (in the $30+ range depending on size) and that seems like an awful lot for a stuff sack. I've got 2 weeks til my hike so I have time to order one or two from REI but I have to be convinced that they're worth the money. I have the regular SS bags and have been fine with them, but I really need to make more room in my pack and these eVacs are supposed to really compress down tight.

Skidsteer
03-14-2008, 22:11
I dunno about the concept.

I think I prefer my stuff sacks to be impermeable-period. Impermeable to water and air.

I can squeeze the air out myself before I close it.

Mrs Baggins
03-14-2008, 22:21
I dunno about the concept.

I think I prefer my stuff sacks to be impermeable-period. Impermeable to water and air.

I can squeeze the air out myself before I close it.

Yeah, I kinda think the same thing. With these new bags you're supposed to fold them down and then kneel on them to squeeze out the air. Seems to me every time you had to get something out you'd have to do that all over again. But I'll continue to see what everyone else has to say before I decide.

Wags
03-14-2008, 22:57
i was gonna get one for my food bag, but decided against it and just went w/ the $19 OR hydrosack. i mean i can't really compress the **** out of my food anyway b/c everything would be smashed, so what's the point of super compressing it? same w/ sleeping bag - i just toss that into the bottom of my pack and let the rest of my gear do the work for me). the only gear i could really compress w/o damaging the contents are my clothes, but **** it

GratefulHike
03-14-2008, 23:18
I use these events especially on kayaking trips..

http://www.rei.com/product/730885

just as a test i filled up my sink with water, weighted it down and threw this in there with a bunch of clothes jammed in it and it stayed completely dry even after 15 minutes sumberged in water. Nice thing about these is you don't have to squeeze out all the air first. Somehow someway they can let air out but not let air or water in, kinda crazy.

i really like mine, it gives me the ability to take my down bag, down the river with me.

Thrasher
03-15-2008, 01:08
I was also really thinking about getting the sea to summit evac bags and compression sacks, but I've thought about it back and forth and have finally decided just to go with the ultra-sil dry bags for everything. I went and got a few today. I'm putting my sleeping bag in an 8L one. I can squeeze most of the air out before rolling it up, and they are lighter than the evac bags, especially the compression ones.