PDA

View Full Version : Partnership Shelter to Catawba

maxNcathy
03-15-2008, 08:11
In a few days some friends and I section hike for 6 weeks starting at Greasy Creek Friendly Hostel.
We may hike 3 weeks north then turn around and hike 3 weeks back to our car.
So I was wondering how interesting the area north of Parnership shelter..to Pearisburg..Catawba is.

Also I have read that hikers get lost near the Dragons Tooth as the blazes are confusing.Any advice on this in case we decide to hike there?

Sandalwood

Hikerhead
03-15-2008, 08:36
I think you'll enjoy this section..the old school house, looking down into Burkes Garden, Dismal Falls, Angels Rest looking down onto Pearisburg, hiking over the New River, the view from Rice Field on Peters Mtn, Wind Rock, The Blair Witch house, Standing beside the second largest oak tree on the trail, the view from the slanted rocks on Sinking Creek Mtn, crossing Craigs Creek, the Audie Murphy monument, climbing Dragons Tooth, crossing Catawba Valley.

If you pay attention coming off of Dragons Tooth you won't have a problem. The trail is well marked going down the rocks north of Dragons Tooth, it looks like the white line on the highway in some places. There has been some relocation of the trail in the area in the past and some tend to follow the old trail. Just pay attention to the blazing.

maxNcathy
03-15-2008, 08:58
Thanks, Hikerhead.
Do you know of anyone that would shuttle us back to Roan Mountain area?

Hikerhead
03-15-2008, 09:16
Not right now, I'll try to dig up someone. That's about 3 hours driving time...one way.

rafe
03-15-2008, 09:26
A fellow named Maurice Turner shuttled me from the trailhead (Rocky Gap) to Roanoke airport last summer. Rocky Gap is about 3 days hiking north from Pearisburg (about five miles south of the Keffer Oak.) He's listed in the shuttle services guide that you can get off the ATC website.

maxNcathy
03-15-2008, 09:31
A fellow named Maurice Turner shuttled me from the trailhead (Rocky Gap) to Roanoke airport last summer. Rocky Gap is about 3 days hiking north from Pearisburg (about five miles south of the Keffer Oak.) He's listed in the shuttle services guide that you can get off the ATC website.

Thanks Terrapin. I will look up his number and call him.