PDA

View Full Version : Light weight digital cameras

GitRdone
03-15-2008, 11:11
On my last AT section hike I took a disposable camera and didn't have very good results.."The green tunnel" affect I guess :). I do own a digital camera but, it is older, large, and not lightweight. What lightweight digital cameras are you folks using out there and/or would suggest and that you have had good luck using? My budget is around $200.

winger
03-15-2008, 14:19
I use a Canon S550 which is a couple of years old so I imagine you could find one for around that price. My DSLRs are Nikons but I think Canon makes the best point and shoot compacts for the price and features.

winger
03-15-2008, 14:22
Correction: thats a canon SD550.

Bob S
03-15-2008, 14:31
My last digital was a Sony that cost $700.00 The one I have now is a Fuji that cost under $100.00 and it takes great pictures, they look as good as the Sony. The Fuji is a lot smaller and easier to carry and runs on normal AA batteries, not a $70.00 battery like the Sony.

The one thing I would look for is an optical zoom, not a digital zoom. My Fuji has both.

I don’t think you need to buy an expensive camera to get good pictures.

GitRdone
03-15-2008, 21:14
Thanks for the replies, I definitely want a camera that uses AA's instead of rechargeable. The camera's in this price range seem to be 6-7 megapixels and have a 3X optical zoom. I figured that for the price these camera's are decent and would do a good job. Much better than my older digital that I paid the same amount for a few years ago. I also recently bought one of those small all plastic mini tripods with a velcro'd strap. At least if I am by myself I can get a decent picture by attaching to a tree limb or whatever.

88BlueGT
03-18-2008, 00:42
I have never used this company, but they have camera on there pretty cheap.

www.ecost.com