PDA

View Full Version : F2 Tornado hit Atlanta...

Heater
03-15-2008, 12:08
Big storm going over the trail. Hope everyone is ready for it. It came up suddenly.

orangebug
03-15-2008, 12:30
I thought the same thing when I saw this morning's radar at 9AM.

These things were pretty bad down here in ATL.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-15-2008, 12:41
Has anyone heard from Two Speed? Looks like it hit close to his area and a bit west of Sly.

TOW
03-15-2008, 12:48
Anyone know anything?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-15-2008, 12:52
About 14,000 in Atlanta area lost electricity so I'm betting cable and phone / DSL lines are down as well. I'll try to dig up Two-Speed's cell number.

TOW
03-15-2008, 12:54
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/15600856/detail.html

TOW
03-15-2008, 12:59
It looks like the worst of it went north of Atlanta is over with and has moved past the Smokies, I sure there are some soaked hikers............

Tinker
03-15-2008, 13:13
Aah, the wonders of nature!

I hope no one was seriously hurt.

peanuts
03-15-2008, 13:28
yes downtown took a nice hit last nite
the folks at the dome were very lucky as well as anyone at centenial park

Sly
03-15-2008, 14:22
About 14,000 in Atlanta area lost electricity so I'm betting cable and phone / DSL lines are down as well. I'll try to dig up Two-Speed's cell number.

I'm a little southwest of TS, we never lost power here, but we did have a warning. :) Nor'easters on the coast of MA were fun (as long as you didn't have a house on the beach), these are scary! :eek:

Added: I don't think tornado's touch down on mountains too often. Good for hikers

ed bell
03-15-2008, 14:30
It looks like the worst of it went north of Atlanta is over with and has moved past the Smokies, I sure there are some soaked hikers............As of 2:30pm there was more to come. The Radar looks real ugly down here right now.

Heater
03-15-2008, 15:05
I'm a little southwest of TS, we never lost power here, but we did have a warning. :) Nor'easters on the coast of MA were fun (as long as you didn't have a house on the beach), these are scary! :eek:

Added: I don't think tornado's touch down on mountains too often. Good for hikers

Looked like the major part of the storms dissipated from Johnson City down to the southernmost point of the AT. There are more trailing storms developing.

warraghiyagey
03-15-2008, 15:31
First thing I did this morning after hearing of last night's storms and those developing today was to check the radar over the trail.
Did that, then prayed for our sisters and brothers out there today, that they have an exhilarating day that finds them unscathed.:sun

orangebug
03-15-2008, 15:43
Tornadoes fairly often hit Hall County/Gainesville, GA to the tune of major major killer storms. Somthing hits in the mountains as witnessed by huge areas of blow downs episodically.

I suspect that today will get a lot of comments in our journals.

Sly
03-15-2008, 15:45
Looked like the major part of the storms dissipated from Johnson City down to the southernmost point of the AT. There are more trailing storms developing.

Yeah, well there's a tornado warning now. Freakin siren!

warraghiyagey
03-15-2008, 15:53
Yeah, well there's a tornado warning now. Freakin siren!
"I just want to say, good luck - we're all counting on you." - Leslie Neilson, Airplane
Godspeed

orangebug
03-15-2008, 15:53
We had the sirens in Smyrna about 1:00PM.

Tennessee Viking
03-15-2008, 17:04
My brother lives in midtown at the northern I75/I85 junction. His barber called him the morning of and that his appointment was cancelled because there was no barber shop to come to.

How was it over at the Springer and trail?

Mother Nature
03-15-2008, 17:06
My son was traveling from Ft Benning/Columbus last night and stopped for a visit with a high school buddy who lives near the GA Dome. After dinner out he decided to skip the overnight stay there and left about 5 minutes before the storm hit to drive to Clarkesville on I-75/85.

He had no idea what was happening behind him as he traveled north but the first thing he told me was that wind, rain and hail were awful in Atlanta as he was leaving. Then he saw the TV of where he just left and stood there with his mouth open! :eek:

He tried calling his friend but no answer yet. I am sure he is fine just dealing with the conditions on the ground.

Karen
03-15-2008, 18:29
Signed on today, to WB. More out of support and reassurance. But, I see I may log on more frequently. I hope all are safe on the trail and in the the Franklin NC area. My husband, Jim, may go by, Whistler??? He is 2 weeks into his trek to Katahdin. Last communication was Thursday. Beautiful hiking at that point. Now I await text or calls. Anyone in that area or heard anything. Thanks for any info.

warraghiyagey
03-15-2008, 18:45
Signed on today, to WB. More out of support and reassurance. But, I see I may log on more frequently. I hope all are safe on the trail and in the the Franklin NC area. My husband, Jim, may go by, Whistler??? He is 2 weeks into his trek to Katahdin. Last communication was Thursday. Beautiful hiking at that point. Now I await text or calls. Anyone in that area or heard anything. Thanks for any info.
:welcome:welcome Karen. You've come to a good place while yor husband is on the trail. He's surely well north of today's worst weather. Keep us up to date on his travels.
Any of our friends from No Georgia out there?? Saw there was some bad weather earlier. Hope to hear from ya soon.:sun:sun

Thru Hiker Wife
03-15-2008, 18:50
Well, maybe I can help ease some minds. I'm here in Cumming, GA which is GA 19/400 area. We had numerous tornadoes in this area (including one a mile down and a mile up the street from my house) this afternoon and the last of the storms have now blown through. It was extremely crazy. As most of you know my husband is NoBo on the trail. He checked in last night and I advised all that were there at Woods Hole Shelter needed to get to Neels by noon and park it. Most did just that. As of 5:45 pm I spoke to Brad, all hikers there are safe, showered, laundered, fed and happy. To my understanding they got some rain but no tornadoes nearby. I hope that holds true for the rest of the trail through GA but from what I can determine from the local updates all the really bad weather and tornadoes came in south of the AT. Hope these helps!

Heater
03-15-2008, 18:58
Yeah. It looks like the AT was spared from th worst of the storms.
(not to say it might have gotten a little hairy at times)

Thru Hiker Wife
03-15-2008, 19:00
Just an FYI, the news is predicting a possible repeat event for this Wednesday so for those in contact with our no. GA hikers, you may want to pass the word.

warraghiyagey
03-15-2008, 19:02
Still looking to hear from ed bell, Sly and orangebug.

Heater
03-15-2008, 19:02
Just an FYI, the news is predicting a possible repeat event for this Wednesday so for those in contact with our no. GA hikers, you may want to pass the word.

Is it Saturday or am I in a time warp?

Wednesday is 4 days away, right? :-?

Heater
03-15-2008, 19:04
Still looking to hear from ed bell, Sly and orangebug.

I talked to Sly. Orangebug has posted here today. I think Ed posted as well.
:-?

Heater
03-15-2008, 19:09
BTW... nobody in the South is outta this yet!

http://squall.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_init_00.gif

Sly
03-15-2008, 19:10
I think today's threats are over.

ed bell
03-15-2008, 19:15
Had some super heavy rain here. No severe weather. A couple tornadoes were about 45 miles south of here. Looks like one small severe cell left to go.

warraghiyagey
03-15-2008, 19:16
I read that both Polk and Floyd County were hit by tornadoes today.

Mother Nature
03-15-2008, 19:18
Is it Saturday or am I in a time warp?

Wednesday is 4 days away, right? :-?

There is another round of bad weather crossing the country which may impact GA midweek.

warraghiyagey
03-15-2008, 19:25
There is another round of bad weather crossing the country which may impact GA midweek.
But still, it's fun to do the 'Time Warp.'

" . . . It's just a step to your left. . ."

Thru Hiker Wife
03-15-2008, 19:32
Glad to see you posting. I got a little worried for you today when I heard about possible tornadic activity in Clarksville area.

orangebug
03-15-2008, 20:47
no need to worry. I've been busy with chores and ACC basketball.

Paw Power!

trailangelmary
03-15-2008, 20:54
Signed on today, to WB. More out of support and reassurance. But, I see I may log on more frequently. I hope all are safe on the trail and in the the Franklin NC area. My husband, Jim, may go by, Whistler??? He is 2 weeks into his trek to Katahdin.
Welcome, Karen. I am also from PA and hope to get to meet you and your husband, Whistler.
And thank you, thru-hiker wife. Good job.

Gaiter
03-15-2008, 21:45
a gig I worked last night is scheduled to be at the philips arena tonight, last night they had only heard about the georgia dome being damaged,

also somewhat off subject: who all lives near atlanta, i'm moving to marietta on the first or second of april (just checked w/ my soon to be roommates, the house wasn't damaged!)

Fahrenheit
03-15-2008, 23:29
Things were pretty crazy where I'm at today as well. It never got to bad at my place, except from my place, but we had a tornado about 8 miles north in the early afternoon and saw a funnel cloud just a couple miles north. No damage fortunately.

Skidsteer
03-15-2008, 23:40
We(my family and I)drove to Cobb County this afternoon from White County after the bad storms passed.

Driving on I-985 thru Gainesville was a green path much of the way. Tons of pine needles on the pavement.

Mountain Man
03-16-2008, 09:15
I read that both Polk and Floyd County were hit by tornadoes today.

Yeah, I live in Polk Co. here in Ga.. There was one death just up the road from me and another just a little futher up the road over in Floyd Co. It seems Tornados really like this area for some reason. Just glad I wasn't on the trail yesterday. Heading out for a week the end of this month so I've already put in an order for some good weather,:sun but if I don't get it I'll just deal with what comes my way as I have in the past.:eek:
Been a lot of hikers heading out from Amicalola,I hope they were all hunkered down some where.

Two Speed
03-16-2008, 09:44
Has anyone heard from Two Speed? Looks like it hit close to his area and a bit west of Sly.Sorry, didn't check this thread until recently. I'm fine, did bail out on some trail maintenance Saturday, but that's the worst of it.

Karen
03-16-2008, 13:07
Thanks for your support. A bit frantic yesterday awaiting Jim's report. He just called from the Wayah Shelter (118.6 mi from Springer). Great place, cocoa, trail angels and hoping to dry out and make his way to NOC, in Wesser. Had hail, storms and amazing wind. Oh really, like tornado strength?

Blissful
03-16-2008, 20:22
Just found out today that one of the people killed in the tornado is a good friend of a woman I know at my church. Appreciate prayer for the family in their time of loss, thanks.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-16-2008, 20:28
Sorry, didn't check this thread until recently. I'm fine, did bail out on some trail maintenance Saturday, but that's the worst of it.::: Dino seen breathing huge sign of relief and doing happy dance :::

Skidsteer
03-16-2008, 20:30
Sorry, didn't check this thread until recently. I'm fine, did bail out on some trail maintenance Saturday, but that's the worst of it.

Very good thing you weren't out there. Brutal.

Just found out today that one of the people killed in the tornado is a good friend of a woman I know at my church. Appreciate prayer for the family in their time of loss, thanks.

Will do, Blissful.

Egads
03-16-2008, 20:31
I was at 3-forks yesterday afternoon. It was very wet, windy, with some lightning and hail. I spoke with a couple of aspiring thru hikers; they said they were nos 13 & 14 to leave Springer that day. I was somewhat surprised by the size of the packs they had. Maybe they will work it out at Neels Gap.

Egads

Dances with Mice
03-16-2008, 20:33
Sorry, didn't check this thread until recently. I'm fine, did bail out on some trail maintenance Saturday, but that's the worst of it.You bailed out of a bail out. We met, ate breakfast, then decided to cancel the work trip.

They really didn't have a great breakfast at that restaurant but I got volunteer hour credits for eating it.

I moseyed up to C9 to visit and there was heavy rain, a little wind and a few minutes of hail but nothing major. Did have some thoroughly wet people coming off the Trail though.

Two Speed
03-17-2008, 07:41
Hmmm, so I bailed out before bailing out was cool?

Dances with Mice
03-17-2008, 07:47
Hmmm, so I bailed out before bailing out was cool?W-B members MamaCat, tool wrangler, and Don Norton, llama lover, can verify that we were all headed out to the work site when I said "Wait! Two Speed isn't here! We'll never get anything done now! Let's come back some other time."

Two Speed
03-17-2008, 18:11
I detect the odor of BS on that last statement. However, got another date scheduled? I'm willing to bet there's a bunch of blowdowns that need some work.

MoodyBluer
03-19-2008, 08:00
thought y'all would like to see a picture of the tornado that hit the ATL last friday. It's over to the left in the picture.

This shot was taken from the rooftop of a building on Howell Mill rd. which is just northwest of downtown.

Almost all storms hit Atlanta going west to east so this shot shows the tornado just after it has hit downtown and is on it's way...

One of the best pics I've ever seen of a wall cloud and a tornado.

warraghiyagey
03-19-2008, 08:09
Wow! Great photo.

MoodyBluer
03-19-2008, 10:25
Wow! Great photo.

Thanks...after studying this picture for a while, I think this pic shows the tornado just as it was ripping up the Cabbagetown area and the Fulton Mill lofts around Boulevard Ave.

orangebug
03-19-2008, 10:54
Are the lights on the EQUITABLE building still on?

I think you have the geography correct about the location of the storm.

Thru Hiker Wife
03-19-2008, 11:09
Phenomenal pic! Thanks!

MoodyBluer
03-19-2008, 13:40
Are the lights on the EQUITABLE building still on?

I think you have the geography correct about the location of the storm.

Your eyes are better than mine if you can see the Equitable Bldg in that pic...:)

orangebug
03-19-2008, 14:20
You only see the bar of light across the top of the building. It is near the center of the picture.

vjh
03-19-2008, 14:43
thought y'all would like to see a picture of the tornado that hit the ATL last friday. It's over to the left in the picture.

This shot was taken from the rooftop of a building on Howell Mill rd. which is just northwest of downtown.

Almost all storms hit Atlanta going west to east so this shot shows the tornado just after it has hit downtown and is on it's way...

One of the best pics I've ever seen of a wall cloud and a tornado.

wow that's one awesome photo...been in Atlanta during a mother of a storm...scary...
v

MoodyBluer
03-19-2008, 15:05
wow that's one awesome photo...been in Atlanta during a mother of a storm...scary...
v

Me & the missus were wondering why you never really hear of tornados hitting tall urban areas like downtown ATL and in today's Journal Constitution comes an article that seems like common sense...tornados have difficulty sustaining themselves in environments like downtown because the updraft winds that feed a funnel cloud are blocked by tall buildings.

The article did say that just because tall buildings are present does not mean a tornado won't form, just that they tend to dissipate quickly.

Think I read where this one lasted 20 mins. which is a fairly long one.

orangebug
03-19-2008, 19:29
Well, I seem to remember one hitting Houston back in March of 1999 or so. Denver or Salt Lake City had one hit an outdoor market a few years back. Nashville has had one.

I just think they are pretty extreme and unusual storms that hit fairly randomly...

Except when those storms come out of Powder Springs and Austell toward my house.

Heater
03-19-2008, 19:33
I am really surprised that there were not any major events in "tornado alley" down here in the North Texas area during yesterdays storms.