PDA

View Full Version : Homemade: Some Pros, and Cons

Colter
01-20-2004, 23:24
Lots of folks have pointed out the many pros to making your own gear, including potentially saving money, getting custom-made gear, trying out your own inventions, etc. These are all valid considerations.

I can honestly say I've made LOTS of gear, easily hundreds of items. (I work in a smokejumper parachute loft, and have made tarps, clothing, packs, rain gear, parachuting equipment, etc.) Most were existing designs, a few of these were my own design, some were modifications of old designs. While I think it's great to recognize the advantages of making your own gear (the improvement of gear being a big one) there are some big pitfalls.

One that I've found is that it usually takes lots more time than planned. The less experience you have the more time it will take. Folks that make the gear you buy at REI have probably sewed that exact same item thousands of times, and the design of the item is likely the result of improving pre-existing ideas and the correcting of design flaws.

Usually there are flaws in any new design that weren't forseen. If there is much complexity in the item you're making, you are very likely to make errors, possibly negating any cost savings. I've seen many new smokejumper pack designs for example. Through the years some of our more skilled folks have come up with some major design improvements. But nearly every time a new pack has to go through several prototypes to get all the bugs worked out.

Often you'll find you don't have "the right tool for the right job." Maybe your machine can't handle sewing the thicker seams.

There are a lot of factors that can be overlooked or miscalculated. For example, it's easy to forget to allow extra material that is taken up in seams, or to allow for the inevitable shrinkage sewing causes.

Be realistic in your expectations, and if your goal is merely to save $20 it might not be worth it.

All that said, if you've got a great idea, and research and developement is your thing, go for it. That's how technology progresses!

http://www.bucktrack.com/Appalachian_Trail.html

Christian
01-21-2004, 05:10
One that I've found is that it usually takes lots more time than planned. The less experience you have the more time it will take. Folks that make the gear you buy at REI have probably sewed that exact same item thousands of times, and the design of the item is likely the result of improving pre-existing ideas and the correcting of design flaws.

Usually there are flaws in any new design that weren't forseen. If there is much complexity in the item you're making, you are very likely to make errors, possibly negating any cost savings. I've seen many new smokejumper pack designs for example. Through the years some of our more skilled folks have come up with some major design improvements. But nearly every time a new pack has to go through several prototypes to get all the bugs worked out.

Often you'll find you don't have "the right tool for the right job." Maybe your machine can't handle sewing the thicker seams.

There are a lot of factors that can be overlooked or miscalculated. For example, it's easy to forget to allow extra material that is taken up in seams, or to allow for the inevitable shrinkage sewing causes.

Be realistic in your expectations, and if your goal is merely to save $20 it might not be worth it.

All that said, if you've got a great idea, and research and developement is your thing, go for it. That's how technology progresses!

Nay, first of all, messing up and fixing it afterwards is half the fun... :D , and on the other hand for me time really is not an issue, and doesn' t equal money, since it is a hobby. If you see it like this then watching telly is the most expensive hobby you can have (think about the hours you had spent in front of it NOT making money somewhere else). For my last shelter project the planning alone took me about 3 months of pretty heavy thinking in front of the drawing board- sewing the damn thing was much easier ;) . It took only one weekend. It was fun to work things out, and now I hold a very nice piece of equipment in my hands money can' t buy anywhere else (think about a completely enclosed shelter that weights only 14 oz and rolls into a package of 6 x 4 inches).

Colter
01-21-2004, 15:04
That's great Christian. How's your shelter working out? What else can you tell us about it?

I guess making your own gear is sort of like walking the AT. If you're doing a thru-hike because it's the cheapest way (or the best way) to get to Maine, you might be making a mistake. If you're doing it because you love it, then it might make sense for you!

Streamweaver
01-21-2004, 15:17
Nay, first of all, messing up and fixing it afterwards is half the fun... , and on the other hand for me time really is not an issue, and doesn' t equal money, since it is a hobby. If you see it like this then watching telly is the most expensive hobby you can have (think about the hours you had spent in front of it NOT making money somewhere else). For my last shelter project the planning alone took me about 3 months of pretty heavy thinking in front of the drawing board- sewing the damn thing was much easier . It took only one weekend. It was fun to work things out, and now I hold a very nice piece of equipment in my hands money can' t buy anywhere else (think about a completely enclosed shelter that weights only 14 oz and rolls into a package of 6 x 4 inches).

Amen! I couldnt have said it better myself!! I make my own gear for the same reason I make my own fishing tackle,work with wood and for the same reason Id rather work on an engine lathe than a cnc machine! I just plain likes to do it! Thats not to say Colter doesnt make some valid points. For some folks I guess making their own gear might not be for them but I think that everyone should at least give it a whirl before making up their mind! Streamweaver

Christian
01-23-2004, 01:34
Colter wrote:
That's great Christian. How's your shelter working out? What else can you tell us about it? "

Ok, first of all, let metell you, that the shelter was designes for weekend long hikes in winter. So, the the main aim was completer concealment from the elements (avoiding chilly drafts....etc.). It is not moskito proof, since there are no moskitos in winter. A pic can be seen at:

wintershelter (http://members.futureprojects.info/flusslinie/wintershelter.gif)
Since it lacked any means of ventilation, condensation was an issue in the nights. Due to the fact that the trips in this shelter would take only one or two nights, the condensation won't be much of an issue, since loft degradation in a down bag is noticeable only after a few more (than two) consecutive nights in the shelter (note that brushing against the tent walls DOES occur). The shelter offers not very much space. Simply a place to lie in. Careful cooking in the sheltered vestibule is still possible.

Nevertheless, in summer, my homemade Tarptent (vistit:Henry Shires Tarptent (http://www.tarptent.com/projects/tarpdesign.html) ) is much more fun, but probably not very suitable for short term winter use, since there would be drafts everywhere.

For long term (weeks) winter (arctic (scandinavian -30 °C)) conditions I'd like a good ol' double wall dome tent.

Anyhow, the UL wintershelter proofed to be an OK shelter for it's intended use.

Cheers, Christian