PDA

View Full Version : Foot/Shoe issues

desdemona
03-15-2008, 13:54
Gosh I worked to get a pair of shoes that fit and tried on about 50 pairs, and I don't think it is an exaggeration. I'm not sure if my right one doesn't fit, or if I just tied it wrong. Last week I went on a 7 hour hike. I came back and going downhill (and yes, i tried the downhill thing in the store) and my foot hurt. They have remained a little tender, but there are no red spots or anything.

It is true that it takes me a LONG time to break in shoes (I have never worn anything but running shoes my whole adult life practically--and I am older than many of you for sure).

Anyway, I have thought that maybe I could take my right one a shoe repair to stretch it an tad. THough maybe the problem is lacing in the first place.

Today I plan a shorter hike, and to liberally apply New Skin on my feet. This seems to help a bit and I didn't do this last week.

Any suggestions. I hope it is not two sizes of shoes, but bigger shoes don't help because the other one slides around then. But I actually may have two different size feet. :(

--des

Feral Bill
03-15-2008, 15:23
New Balance/Dunham come in a range of widths. Might help.

warraghiyagey
03-15-2008, 15:27
Taking new boots on a 7 hour hike in 'breaking in' terms is a little indoctrination under fire. Maybe just give them some walking around miles, daily activity type stuff for a few days so you can take them off more frequently before getting them out on the trail. Gives you and your feet more leeway to adjust accordingly.
Just a thought.:)

mudhead
03-15-2008, 15:28
Next experiment close to home, is different thicknesses of sock. Try it around the house and then short outside. Bring regular (old stuff) with you. You can buy a better quality sock once you figure what you need.

May just need some time to toughen up the feet. Some people like inserts. Plenty of threads on here. Search superfeet. Good luck.

warraghiyagey
03-15-2008, 15:39
In addition to Mudheads advice, try using the same sock set up while breaking in your boots that you will use on the trail. And a thin sock liner under your socks works wonders for avoiding blisters.

shelterbuilder
03-15-2008, 20:10
des,

It IS possible that you have two different size feet! It's not common, but it does happen. Also, have you ever broken any bones in your feet, because this could also have caused a slight difference in size - I have a terrible time fitting boots and shoes because of a broken bone from judo class in high school!

Try a lightweight sock in the "small" boot, and a heavyweight sock in the "normal" boot. It may not solve the entire problem, but it could be a step in the right direction.

fiddlehead
03-15-2008, 22:02
I wouldn't worry so much about the other foot sliding around a bit and get bigger shoes. I normally wear a 10 1/2 or 11. When i hike, i wear 13's. Never get blisters, never have foot problems. (I did have an arch problem once on a SOBO hike as it starts out so tough and i could've been in better shape??)

Walking barefoot may help if it's the outside of your foot that has the problems (i see you live in Albuquerque, there's lots of desert around there which is perfect for toughening up feet.)

desdemona
03-16-2008, 01:21
Hi,

Thanks for all your comments. Well this was NOT my first hike in the trail runners (not hiking boots, but I didn't specify). I have worn them on shorter trips and so on, not much problem (though they still feel a bit stiff). I have been hiking in them for about a month (?).

I noticed today if they are not tied exactly right they are trouble. Though it was not 7 hours.

Yes, one foot really IS bigger than the other. I could try thinner socks, but not sure where I would get thinner hiking socks. I did try bigger shoes, but they felt very odd. I might check on stretching the shoe-- if they still do this--and see if that does help a little, but tying them up right seems to work too. Also made sure that my nails were short as possible to be.
I wear sock liners and smartwool light hiking socks. I use exactly the same socks each time (washed of course).

I wear orthodics. They do make shoe trying on unpleasant. You take out the insoles and put in the orthodics, repeat each time (maybe try on 15 shoes, go on to another store). But I don't think I hurried this.

I would not recommend barefoot in the desert. Actually I have planar faciatis and am not ever supposed to go barefoot.

Is there anything available to keep the shoes tied?? I get them right and then redo them and if they aren't right they are trouble.

--des

mudhead
03-16-2008, 09:34
Goatheads suck. Barefooted.

Blister
03-21-2008, 13:50
First thing I do with a new pair of shoes is completely drench them while they are on my feetand keep them on until they are completley dry. I think this method molds the shoe to your foot "by walking them dry from wet" it seems to relax any tight spots and stiffen looser areas. Works for me at least. I am also anti gortex in shoes. It not only keeps moisture out but keeps moisture in, no matter how much advertisments claim beathability. I have learned alot of lessons the hard way.

desdemona
03-21-2008, 16:59
First thing I do with a new pair of shoes is completely drench them while they are on my feetand keep them on until they are completley dry. I think this method molds the shoe to your foot "by walking them dry from wet" it seems to relax any tight spots and stiffen looser areas. Works for me at least. I am also anti gortex in shoes. It not only keeps moisture out but keeps moisture in, no matter how much advertisments claim beathability. I have learned alot of lessons the hard way.

This is a great idea. The shoes aren't goretex. And this is a really good weekend to try this, being in the 60s and 70s.

I have also seen stuff for elastic shoe laces. They will expand as your foot swells and not come undone, and you can easily pull them off. I'm not that lazy (ie so lazy I can't tie shoes), but they come undone and then I often tie them too tight and so on.

--des

Appalachian Tater
03-21-2008, 17:31
I think you are just tying them too tight.