PDA

View Full Version : Southbounders Starting in 2010?

Pathfinder
03-15-2008, 16:34
I am planning a southbound thru hike starting in mid June of 2010, and I was just wondering who else would be starting at the same time.

abramy
03-18-2008, 10:40
it's coincidental that I would happen to see this post right after I registered on this forum researching a southbound hike in 2010.

I'm currently enlisted in the Navy and am waiting for the end of my enlistment in June of 2010. I'll check back to this thread periodically to see if anyone else is planning this same hike :)

Cai
03-19-2008, 18:28
And here's me thinking it was too soon to start posting for SOBO '09.

abramy
03-24-2008, 11:12
I was thinking that maybe I started doing research too soon considering it's two years before. After looking into it more though, I'm glad i've started looking. These forums are a wealth of information and will be helpful for even the shortest day hike that I wind up doing in Hawaii. The most minute things. I've been a board phantom for the past few weeks and have learned a lot.

So, in the opinion of someone who's not hiking till 2010, you're not planning or thinking too far ahead :P

Drew54
03-24-2008, 11:43
And here's me thinking it was too soon to start posting for SOBO '09.

09 sobo :banana

TOW
03-24-2008, 12:27
You know something? you guys don't even have a clue as to what you will be doing in 2010 and here you are planning it all out.

How about just grab a pack and go hike when you have the first opportunity?

Pathfinder
03-24-2008, 19:11
You know something? you guys don't even have a clue as to what you will be doing in 2010 and here you are planning it all out.

Well actually in May of 2010 I will be graduating high school and will have already applied and deferred a semester from college to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. Since I don't have a license I can't just drive to the trail-head and hike, but since 2004 my father and I have taken a week to hike the AT every summer and have hiked southbound thru Maine. If it were my choice I would start right now in a heartbeat, but it wouldn't exactly fit in with the final years of my high school education...

I just started this thread to see who would be hiking south from Katahdin at the same time so I could convince my parents that there are enough people that will hike along with me so that I can complete my goal of hiking from Maine to Georgia solo.

abramy
03-25-2008, 17:23
I'll be finishing my enlistment for the Navy June 22nd when I will fly to Maine.

Need to have something to keep me focused on getting out :P

bjj4287
03-25-2008, 18:02
yeeee man... im graduating from HS in july 2010 ... MEGA 2010 BAybe!

bjj4287
03-25-2008, 18:06
oops... *june

hammock engineer
03-25-2008, 19:33
That's awesome. I loved my southbound hike last year. I don't have anything to compare it against, but I think I like it way better than what I would have done northbound.

Cai
03-29-2008, 12:19

That would be nice, but some of do actually have plans for our lives. School/work commitments definitely limit when you can hike. If you know you're going to have a break after graduation, why not plan for it? Then you know you'll get to go.

CrumbSnatcher
03-29-2008, 12:40
looking back,the years i spent planning and dreaming before my first long journey are some of my fondest memories. planning too early, no such thing.

Minority Funk
04-21-2008, 20:49
hey pathfinder, i may be planning the same thing durring the summer between my college terms

Chiaroscuro
10-08-2008, 14:58
I am hoping to go SOBO 2010.

I have to find ways to leave my job, support my household while I'm gone and save enough for the trip itself. It's nice to think about the gypsy life, but most of us have obligations.

If I had my druthers, I'd be going 09, but it just isn't possible. So summer 09, I' ll try to get in a chunky section hike.

Maybe I'll run into some of you youngsters in 2010!

bunk
11-01-2008, 21:41
I'm planning to start SOBO in June '10 if I can get my leave of absence, and that's a sizable 'if' from what my co-workers have told me.

FYI: if you're thinking about watching the movie 'Southbounders' in hopes of picking up a few nuggets of information, don't bother. I just finished watching it and can state with certainty it, as a learning reference, has a value of absolutely zero.

Dancer
12-31-2008, 15:34
I'm probably just going to quit my job. Hope to be completely out of debt and have a good bit of money in the bank by then. SOBO 2010! I'll deal with a job when I get back.

MJN
03-02-2009, 20:50
[quote=Pathfinder;574918]Well actually in May of 2010 I will be graduating high school and will have already applied and deferred a semester from college to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. Since I don't have a license I can't just drive to the trail-head and hike, but since 2004 my father and I have taken a week to hike the AT every summer and have hiked southbound thru Maine. If it were my choice I would start right now in a heartbeat, but it wouldn't exactly fit in with the final years of my high school education...

Im glad theres going to be atleast one other younger hiker doing a SOBO. Im planning a 2010 sobo right after graduation too.

Grampsb
03-11-2009, 12:21
Planning on a SOBO in mid June 10. Retiring so will have plenty of time to travel.

Sgt Pepper
12-02-2009, 19:04
hope to go southbound in june. just started the planning stage

Captn
12-02-2009, 20:54
Southbound in 2014!

It's never too early to start planning ... I've been planning for 4 years already!

Philip
12-03-2009, 09:50
SOBO 2010 here with a 07/15 start date. I will finish the last class of a 2nd back-to-back masters degree the first week of July and expect to spend the rest of the year walking to Georgia on the scenic route. A change of pace such as this is just what I need between my time in grad school and starting a career; cannot wait!

evanijones
12-05-2009, 02:10
Southbound in June, '10!

Sgt Pepper
12-05-2009, 12:18
I plan to go sobo in june too. Im from La Grange, NC right down the road. I too plan on finding another job when I get back... too bad job market is terrible in this area!

Tuney
12-18-2009, 10:50
I've thought about Thru-hiking for most of my life. Since my home is in Georgia, and I've hiked most of the trail in Georgia with my sons and the Boy Scouts in the last 25 years. I believe that the notion of "Hiking Home" provides the extra incentive for me to take the next step. I'll be starting on or around May 29, 2010 depending on the weather trends and when Katahdin is open.

Wesoloski
01-09-2010, 14:09
I'm looking to leave around the 7-10th of July.

Hopefully.

Spot In The Sky
02-02-2010, 14:45
I'm looking to leave around the 7-10th of July.

Hopefully.

Hey Im lookin to start July 1st- wanna push up your start date a little bit so I have a hiking buddy?

sumnere
02-02-2010, 18:03
I'll be hiking home from Maine starting June 2, 2010. Hope to see some of you people along the way.

Root
02-05-2010, 21:00
Hey everyone,

New to the site. I'm planning a thru hike southbound from maine to georgia departing from maine in mid-may or june. I have a question: I'd rate my camping/hiking experience at 1 on a scale of 1 to 10. As far as physical fitness is concerned, what level of shape should I be in before attempting the entire trail? I picked up "Lessons from the Trail-Long Distance Hiking" and read that the best conditioning for the trail is the trail itself, and that being prepared mentally for it is more important that physical conditioning. What are you guyz'z thoughts on that? Also, from what I've read so far, the overwhelming majority of people hike the trail from Mt. Springer Georgia northbound to Mt. Katadhin in Maine. What are the pro's and con's of a Southbound hike and is mid-may/june a good time to start? I've heard about nasty blackfly swarms in Maine during that time of the year. Thanks for the input..

EnglishGeorge
02-06-2010, 14:28
Hey everyone,

New to the site. I'm planning a thru hike southbound from maine to georgia departing from maine in mid-may or june. I have a question: I'd rate my camping/hiking experience at 1 on a scale of 1 to 10. As far as physical fitness is concerned, what level of shape should I be in before attempting the entire trail? I picked up "Lessons from the Trail-Long Distance Hiking" and read that the best conditioning for the trail is the trail itself, and that being prepared mentally for it is more important that physical conditioning. What are you guyz'z thoughts on that? Also, from what I've read so far, the overwhelming majority of people hike the trail from Mt. Springer Georgia northbound to Mt. Katadhin in Maine. What are the pro's and con's of a Southbound hike and is mid-may/june a good time to start? I've heard about nasty blackfly swarms in Maine during that time of the year. Thanks for the input..

I'm glad im not the only inexperienced guy planning on going southbound this year! Check out the following site, it has some 'pros and cons' of sobo and nobo:
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805569/k.F6/When_Should_I_Start.htm
Seems to me that going sobo you either leave earlier and face the bugs or leave later and face winter weather. Looking at journals of other thru-hikers, I'd say it would help to do some pre-hikes with all the gear you'll be taking on similar terrain. Otherwise, the chance of injury in the first few weeks is really high. I started training with my pack recently and immediately done my hip in. Lucky there's plenty of time to go.

Marta
02-06-2010, 15:04
There are a number of threads on pros and cons of SOBO.

The biggest con, for an inexperienced backpacker, is that you hit some daunting climbs in your first week out, and the chance of injuring your feet and knees is pretty high if your shoe and gear choices are not dialed in. The 100-mile Wilderness is not the remote back-of-beyond that you might be imagining, but you pretty much need to get through it before you have a chance to revamp your gear. And even when you get to Monson, your shopping choices are not that great. OTOH, since you won't be starting for a number of months yet, you've got plenty of time to get your gear together and do some shakedown trips throughout the spring and early summer.

SOBO pride!

jwalden
02-06-2010, 21:29
Get out and do several weekend trips, and ideally at least one or two week-long trips, before you start so you know it's something you're capable of doing and can enjoy doing for longer periods of time, ideally in areas with some variation in terrain. Past that, if you're willing to start slower there's no reason you can't start training on the hike itself. I took 40 days to do the first 400 miles (versus 99 days for the remaining 1775); if you hike it over eight hours it's still a full day of hiking.

Southbound arguable pros: fewer people, you can vary how many/few people you see by hiking faster or slower, somewhat inexplicably you miss New England tick season, less contention for shelters and hostels, shelter registers provide great entertainment from people you met who were heading north, wild apples in fall!, you get a rush of giddiness when your comfortable pace jumps markedly higher when you get out of the White Mountains (see numbers above).

Southbound arguable cons: fewer people, more bugs at start, southern Maine beats you up early and badly (although I made one large mistake -- resupplying at Stratton for Gorham -- which made that bit significantly less pleasant, it's probably much better if you're not stupid), pack starts out heavier when you're in less good shape, you're more likely to want extra gear early on (hiking poles, for me) when it's hard to get than at the very end (when you've already found what suits you), you only meet northbounders once, signage/blazeage is more oriented toward northbounders (still more than adequate for southbounders), late summer can get very dry in places, it can start getting cold at the end (moreso if you don't start in June), some southern hostels are closed in fall, (depending on attitude and preference for variegation) the fun stuff is at the end and not the start.

Spot In The Sky
02-08-2010, 14:42
Based on timing of other events I have no choice but to go SOBO, regardless of the cons, Im not worried about the winter, Ive gotta start in July. My camping experience is at a 1 also, my physical condition probably a 6 or 7 due to marathon training/running. It seems that experience helps more for being able to handle the 100 Mile Wild and White Mountains.

Spot In The Sky
02-08-2010, 14:43
(although I made one large mistake -- resupplying at Stratton for Gorham -- which made that bit significantly less pleasant, it's probably much better if you're not stupid), the start.

Can you expand on this???

Johnny Swank
02-08-2010, 16:50
I started July 1, and ended on Jan 11. Barring a slow start and putzing around in damn near every town on the way down, I would have finished around Thanksgiving or just after.

I'd go SOBO again, probably starting around the 3rd week of June and plan on a 4.5 month hike, but that first month is a killer!

jwalden
02-09-2010, 01:34
Can you expand on this???

Not much to say -- Stratton's 180 miles from the northern end, Gorham's 300ish miles from the north end. I was in nowhere near good enough shape to be carrying 120 miles (10-12 days) of food through that terrain (southern Maine's the most strenuous part of the trail, I'd say) at that point in the hike. (I think the most I ever carried, ignoring this bit, was six or seven days worth of food for 135 miles -- but then I was regularly walking twenty mile days.) Let's put it this way: I did 7.3 miles and 6.2 miles the first two days out of Stratton, rather than the full distance in one.

SKessler
02-15-2010, 09:30
2010!

I will also be graduating (May 15) from college this spring. I plan on doing a semi-flip flop, starting somewhere around TN (doing Springer at the very end) and hiking north until I have to go to Florida for my sister's wedding (date TBD, approx June 26) and then heading to Maine to do the majority of the hike SOBO. Estimate start south about July 1.

ragincajun
02-26-2010, 03:15
since this harsh winter will produce more snow trhan normal in march and april usuall a harsh winter is followed by a mild one so the south should be warmer than normal come november and december made better sense to me

Orwicked
03-01-2010, 23:23
While I may be a relatively new poster, I'm certainly a fan of this forum and an avid hiker. Ill be hiking southbound 2010 leaving mid-June so I'll hope to see you guys!

warraghiyagey
03-01-2010, 23:33
While I may be a relatively new poster, I'm certainly a fan of this forum and an avid hiker. Ill be hiking southbound 2010 leaving mid-June so I'll hope to see you guys!
:welcome:welcome

vonfrick
03-03-2010, 00:43
leavin K again june 24, but gonna run around the mountain on blue blazes for a few days first. hope to see you all out there and we'll catch up at shaw's in monson.

Orwicked
03-04-2010, 01:14
:welcome:welcome

muchas gracias seņor

Blissful
03-05-2010, 19:48
Looking to leave July 1 this year instead of next year. Work opened up for me to do it as things fell through. And hubby is on board. Will hike with hubby for the first few weeks (prob slow to get acclimated). Then could use a buddy through southern ME and NH esp. :)

rasudduth
03-05-2010, 20:27
Go sobos!!!!!

big daddy
03-08-2010, 13:50
I am retireing from the Army on 5 June and am hopefully going to try a Southboung beginning in Mid June. Would love to talk with others who are doing the same. Give me a shout at reb.sarge@yahoo .com.

big daddy
03-08-2010, 13:52
I am looking to start around the same timeframe.

big daddy
03-08-2010, 13:52
Looking to leave July 1 this year instead of next year. Work opened up for me to do it as things fell through. And hubby is on board. Will hike with hubby for the first few weeks (prob slow to get acclimated). Then could use a buddy through southern ME and NH esp. :)

naturejunkie
03-08-2010, 14:56
I'll be heading South sometime around July 11. I may move it up a couple weeks, but not sure about that yet. Cheers!

Blissful
03-08-2010, 15:02
We got our reservation mailed for Katahdin Stream for July 1. Be great to have a SOBO gathering that night (we are climbing Katahdin that day). :)

Spot In The Sky
03-08-2010, 17:34
We got our reservation mailed for Katahdin Stream for July 1. Be great to have a SOBO gathering that night (we are climbing Katahdin that day). :)
Looks like Ill just miss the party- Ill be climbing on the 27th of June and will have to take 4 days off the trail at end of july for my brothers wedding but it looks like i might meet up with you and your group around that time- look forward to seeing you then!

onicoe
03-09-2010, 09:01

My boyfriend and I are starting July 1st as well. Looks like a good day for plenty of sobos!

Tuney
03-09-2010, 10:53

I'm working on doing a cool Breeze Itinerary starting in mid April with VA-CT. Current plans have me flipping to Baxter to do Kahtadin - CT just after July 4.
We should stay in contact. :sun

Blissful
03-10-2010, 22:32
I'm working on doing a cool Breeze Itinerary starting in mid April with VA-CT. Current plans have me flipping to Baxter to do Kahtadin - CT just after July 4.
We should stay in contact. :sun

Okay, let us know. Though you will have trail legs and we won't. So you'll breeze by :)

Blissful
03-11-2010, 23:21
Got my confirmation today from Baxter SP. At KS July 1! Excited!!!!!

vonfrick
03-12-2010, 19:14
i hope y'all are planning to land at shaw's when you get to monson...we'll see you there for the awesome breakfast and comfy beds

woodsy
03-12-2010, 19:32
i hope y'all are planning to land at shaw's when you get to monson...we'll see you there for the awesome breakfast and comfy beds
Okie dokie:)

vonfrick
03-12-2010, 19:35
Okie dokie:)

like you'll show up ;):rolleyes: i hope we see each other soon my friend...warrghy will be up in april for a time and we'll both do the ritual monson to horsehoe for the night memorial day weekend (as long as dawn lets us stop doin chores for a minute)

join us!!:banana

woodsy
03-12-2010, 19:42
Sounds like a plan, almost drove the sled into Monson few weeks ago for some grub at dawns, got to Breakneck Ridge, but will be in the area this summer for sure:rolleyes::D:cool::sun

vonfrick
03-12-2010, 19:46
Sounds like a plan, almost drove the sled into Monson few weeks ago for some grub at dawns, got to Breakneck Ridge, but will be in the area this summer for sure:rolleyes::D:cool::sun

wt f** is with the :rolleyes: d00d?? it's like your phone # is a matter of national security...i'm just glad you dint freeze your balls off this winter and still have the intarwebs

woodsy
03-12-2010, 19:50
.i'm just glad you dint freeze your balls off this winter and still have the intarwebs
Me too! I wear my biker shorts out in the wilds !:p

vonfrick
03-12-2010, 19:52
Me too! I wear my biker shorts out in the wilds !:p

ooooo baby... i think we just derailed this thread :banana:banana:banana

woodsy
03-12-2010, 19:56
Think Chamois lined ;)

vonfrick
03-12-2010, 21:15
Think Chamois lined ;)

is chamois wicking???

woodsy
03-13-2010, 08:14
Vonfrick
wt f** is with the :rolleyes: d00d??Woops, hit the wrong one

it's like your phone # is a matter of national security.Just as well, can't ever get through to here anyways with the puter on all the time, *^#@% teens ! But i thought you already had it :confused:

Wesoloski
05-31-2010, 09:02
Bumping this thread to find where everyone is at as we come up to our June/July takeoffs! :) Officially flying in on the 12th, and I'll start on the 13th of July!

vonfrick
05-31-2010, 12:57
woohoo!!! less than a month to go for me!! :sun

Blissful
05-31-2010, 20:08
July 1 up the big K. We arrive night of June 30th at KS.

Quickstep
06-01-2010, 09:59
Officially starting on the 21st of June now with family and friends up on Katahdin

warraghiyagey
06-01-2010, 10:00
Officially starting on the 21st of June now with family and friends up on Katahdin
We'll be 3 days behind you. . . . :sun:sun:sun

Spot In The Sky
06-01-2010, 10:08
June 27th I begin! Im kinda freaking out but super excited! I have no clue what im doing...

Blissful
06-01-2010, 14:34
Today is June 1.

I am on July 1.

Hellbender reminded me - hey, its one month.
Aaaaagh, I have so much to do!!! Just ordered the last of my supplies from Campmor yesterday. And today I got a prescrip for ticks, (had one now, so got some doses). Glad for that.

Blissful
06-01-2010, 14:35
June 27th I begin! Im kinda freaking out but super excited! I have no clue what im doing...

Ha Ha

Its just a nice, long walk....

:)

Blissful
06-01-2010, 14:36
We'll be 3 days behind you. . . . :sun:sun:sun

You're going this year??? I didn't know that.

warraghiyagey
06-01-2010, 19:29
You're going this year??? I didn't know that.
Only through Mass. then back to work. . . next year all the way. . . :)

ragincajun
06-06-2010, 14:06
took 16 days to get thru 100 mile wilderness lost 15 lbs so far still wanna drop some pack weight i left my tent since i decided to shelter hopp whole way

vonfrick
06-06-2010, 14:39
took 16 days to get thru 100 mile wilderness lost 15 lbs so far still wanna drop some pack weight i left my tent since i decided to shelter hopp whole way

where did you "leave" your tent?

warraghiyagey
06-06-2010, 21:32
Hopefully not in the woods. . . . . :mad:

clecroy
06-10-2010, 22:30
I'll be starting June 22. Crossing fingers for good weather.