PDA

View Full Version : 80 y.o. Hiker, Bill G.

Frau
03-15-2008, 19:13
Anyone out there ever meet Bill Gibson, 80, who according to him, thru hiked twice NOBO and once SOBO after his retirement in 1990? He was living in CA at the time but lives in the Roanoke Area now.

We met him on Andy Layne this afternoon and are quite fascinated, by this healthy, happy, soft-spoken fellow.

I believe he said his last thru hike was 92 I think. He said he started SOBO for a 4th trip and hit very stormy wet weather and quit. He hikes all around SW VA now.

Frau

Hikerhead
03-15-2008, 20:34
I met him on Andy Layne also, last year...very nice guy.

His trail name was "Walking Man".

Frau
03-15-2008, 20:40
Glad to hear it, and his trail name. We had a camera along, and now I regret not asking him for a photo op. Instead we photoed the trout lily which were blooming all over the mountain side of the creek.

Frau

SawnieRobertson
03-16-2008, 14:08
I'll be wandering around the Roanoke area Tuesday. What is this Andy Layne business? Yes, Walking Man has it right.--Kinnickinic

Frau
03-16-2008, 16:34
Andy Layne Trail--named for Andy Layne who was dedicated to the AT. The trail connects Catawba Rd. to the AT (at Scorched Earth Gap) and is in parts, the OLD AT before it was rerouted. Quite a steep climb, but great exercise hike.

Frau