PDA

View Full Version : An Idea for a Fuel Bottle.

STEVEM
03-16-2008, 10:15
I currently use a red Nalgene fuel bottle. It has a little loose pour spout that fits into the neck of the bottle and has worked good for me. I can see two main disadvantages of this bottle: losing the pour spout and spilling the fuel if the bottle were tipped over. I haven't seen these in a long time, maybe they're no longer manufactured.

I've read many times about using recycled water and soda bottles for your fuel. But think there's a risk of accidentally drinking fuel even from a marked bottle, plus the risk of spilling the fuel or the bottle leaking.

I was cleaning the shed yesterday and found a partially used bottle of Sta-Bil. What I found interesting was the bottle. I thought that it might make a great fuel bottle:

1. Impossible to mistake it for a water bottle.
2. Made from strong plastic which would be compatable with fuel.
3. Better caps than soda or water bottles.
4. Difficult to spill since only the small cap is removed to fuel your stove.
5. Scale on small and large reservoir show how much fuel you are using.

I might give it a try. What do you think?

Available in Quick Measure, Easy Pour Bottles: 8oz. 16oz. 32oz.
http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/images/sta-bil_8oz.jpghttp://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/images/sta-bil_16oz.jpghttp://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/images/sta-bil_32oz.jpg

Two Speed
03-16-2008, 10:22
Looks a little complicated for my taste, but why not give it a shot? My only concern would be if the plastic is compatible with alcohol, but that hasn't prevented me from using cast off drink bottles.

BTW, marking your fuel bottle so as to prevent confusing denatured alcohol with the drinking kind is mandatory on Planet Two Speed. Very bad ju-ju to confuse those two.

take-a-knee
03-16-2008, 10:35
That Stablil bottle is called a bettix bottle. SGT Rock has posted that he used one. It looks like a good idea for a fuel bottle.

Fiddleback
03-16-2008, 10:51
I used a Sta-Bil bottle for a while. I found it to be a bit heavy compared to other recycled alternatives but the main problem I had with it was its main feature; the measuring spout.

I used the bottle to carry alcohol for the soda can stove. I found that when I squeezed the bottle (which fills the measuring spout) it worked just fine...except I had a very difficult time seeing the alky in the spout. The bottle's plastic isn't exactly 'clear' but the alky sure is... Maybe it was just me and my boomer-aged eyes but it was enough for me to stop using it. For those that want to try it out, the same or similar bottle is sold new on some sites (e.g., Campmor) for about $5.

These days I use various sizes of recycled contact lens solution bottles. They are all rugged, don't have any leak issues that I've found, and have nozzles that allow for a fine, controlled pour.

I detected no problems with the plastic of either the Sta-Bil or the contact lens bottles.

FB

Strategic
03-16-2008, 11:09
Brasslite sells these kind of bottles specifically for alcohol stoves. You can get one here (http://www.brasslite.com/OrderForms/bottleOrder.html#16oz) for $6 and it comes clean from the factory. I have one I used with my Brasslite and it works just fine.

budforester
03-16-2008, 11:29
Interesting; I must check those Stabil bottles, too. Here's a link (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39179367&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1) to Campmor's bottle. And I need to follow- up on a previous post suggesting that a dash of food coloring makes alcohol fuel easier to see and avoids confusion with potable liquids.

Bob S
03-16-2008, 12:06
I have 2 of the Nalgene fuel bottles a small (16oz) and a larger one (don’t know the exact size) that’s about twice the size of the smaller one. I saw new ones of them in the local Army Navy store last year. I use these for white gas fuel. They are very well made and many here would feel they are too heavy to backpack with.

For alcohol I use a Listerine bottle for the fuel, it works well and has held up well for several years.

As far as spills, you can get that with any bottle if the cap is off, be more careful and only have the cap off while actually filling a stove and put the cap back on right away.

I have a label maker and other then the Nalgene fuel bottles I print out what is in it. I don’t buy into the argument that you will confuse what is in a bottle (with water) and drink it. Other then small kids this is a non-issue. Have any of you ever picked up a bottle from another hiker and taken a drink? I’m sure the answer is No!

With our germ-a-phobic society we don’t drink from bottles others have used. The idea that others will drink our fuel is a worry that is unfounded in reality. Use any bottle you want, as long as it’s labeled it’s not a problem.

Panzer1
03-16-2008, 12:19
I've read many times about using recycled water and soda bottles for your fuel. But think there's a risk of accidentally drinking fuel even from a marked bottle, plus the risk of spilling the fuel or the bottle leaking.

Just mark the bottle by wrapping duck tape around it and them writing "FUEL" on the duck tape. Nobody will ever drink out of that.

Panzer

Hikes in Rain
03-16-2008, 18:27
These days I use various sizes of recycled contact lens solution bottles. They are all rugged, don't have any leak issues that I've found, and have nozzles that allow for a fine, controlled pour.

FB

As a 45 or so year contact lens wearer, my first though was a shocked "Well, duh!"

Sometimes, I think the fact I've lived so long is an accident of nature.

Thank you. You just solved one of my fuel bottle problems.

Fiddleback
03-16-2008, 19:42
As a 45 or so year contact lens wearer, my first though was a shocked "Well, duh!"

Sometimes, I think the fact I've lived so long is an accident of nature.

Thank you. You just solved one of my fuel bottle problems.

Da nada.:) Been wearing contacts 43 years myself and still have a 1oz bottle that was part of a travel kit I got the first year. They hold up pretty well...

FB

Lugnut
03-16-2008, 22:57
When I used an alcohol stove I used a half pint medicine bottle I got from a druggist. The are resistant to alcohol, light, and sometimes free.

hnryclay
03-16-2008, 23:00
I just use the HEET bottles, they work great.