PDA

View Full Version : Bugs

Bumpa
03-16-2008, 11:24
I have been section hiking the past two Springs during April and towards the middle of May. Circumstances this year may require me to hold off until end of May into June. I will be continuing North from Damascus this year.

My question is: what is the bug situation at that time of the year. I realize that conditions change from year to year, but generally what can I expect?

Bumpa
03-17-2008, 17:44
I am beginning to get a complex...yesterdays message re: bugs and what I could expect north of Damascus in late May and into June was a very rare posting for me and it is the only posting on the site that has no replies...65 reads but no replies.

No one have any knowledge to share or has this been hashed to death in the past????...sitting with Deet in hand, I remain...Bumpa :-)

mountain squid
03-17-2008, 17:58
I don't think it will be too buggy down here then, but who knows...keep the deet handy and ensure that you have a bug free sleeping zone, just in case...

Enjoy your hike...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

PS. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/signs087.gifto WB.

doggiebag
03-17-2008, 18:08
Don't worry about the bugs. They're not as bad as you may think. Deet and a good tent or hammock with bug netting to retreat into when you're in camp and you should be good to go. Mice and snakes are a bigger annoyance.

emerald
03-17-2008, 18:43
Mice and snakes are a bigger annoyance.

Mice might be an issue at shelters, snakes are something for which to keep your eyes open but let alone and bugs unless you are southbound during June in New England are something you'll need to live with but most people can endure.

jamarshall
03-17-2008, 18:58
When I was hiking near Harpers Ferry in late April there were lots of the little gnats near the river. Things were fine on the ridges.

Blissful
03-17-2008, 19:40
Gnats are a big thing, flying into your eyes, in your mouth, and up your nose. You can get mosquitos also, but certainly not as bad at New England. And prepare for ticks, mainly the dog tick variety here in VA.

Bare Bear
03-17-2008, 20:39
BENS. Get it, carry it then forget the bugs. Hiking a lot in Florida I know bugs and the Bens works. Get atleast 30% DEET. And yes I know the possible chemical concerns but I saw an Aussie couple that had so many mosquito bites in NJ you could not have put a dime sideways without hitting a bite. They were miserable w/o bug dope. Most of us were miserable even with the bug juice. AND LW, please no 'bug dope jokes' :)

Bumpa
03-18-2008, 12:15
Thanks for the words of wisdom people.....I imagine things aren't any buggier than here in Ontario in the late Spring

LIhikers
03-18-2008, 18:53
I've never been to the area you mentioned, but the bug situation is often dependant on the weather and temperature.