PDA

View Full Version : The Hike INN

Rebel, with a Cause!
03-16-2008, 11:36
Once again this year, the Hike INN on Hwy 28 in Fontana is ready for thruhikers and section Hikers of 2008. Run by Jeff and Nancy Hoch, they will pick you up at the Dam, take you into the next town for resupply, wash your clothes and if you are lucky Nancy will let you sample some of her Salsa !! This solves the resupply problem and getting to and from the trail. Also Jeff knows everything going on up and down the Trail. Notice the name, an inn for hikers and about hikers. 13 years strong.

Best to call them from NOC or Franklin due to popularity and for reservations. Once you reach Fontana Dam Visitor Center, call them for pickup.

Class act with A-1 service

Grampie
03-16-2008, 12:06
It's a great place run by some wounderfull folks. Helped me in 2000 when I had to leave the trail and again in 2001 when I came back.:sun

peter_pan
03-16-2008, 13:33
Stayed with them in 2003... truly fine experiance... don't miss their stone tool/point collection.

Pan

Think Spring
03-16-2008, 16:52
Am lookin' forward to contacting, staying with, and picking up a "drop box" on or about 3/29. Have only heard good things about them and their facility, and am looking forward to it. Hope you also enjoy YOUR hike!:sun

Chef2000
03-16-2008, 18:58
The best peeps in the trail support network. Stayed in 2000 and have returned several times for section hikes. Ask Nancy about Chef and The diddler

Blissful
03-16-2008, 20:19
We stayed there too, had everything we needed and a shuttle to Robbinsville for supplies and restaurant stop. Good stop to prepare for the Smokies. Worth the money, IMO.

Ron Haven
03-16-2008, 20:55
Hello Rebel :D I recommend them very higkly too.Great Folks

Frosty
03-16-2008, 21:49
Ask Nancy about Chef and The diddler:eek:

Will I get TMI?

gold bond
03-17-2008, 09:17
The last thing I want to do is "highjack" a thread but I amd going to be hiking that direction next month (NOC to Fontana Dam) and have a question. What is the status of Fontana Dam? I know there was some work going on and it was closed and there were detours and such. I have a friend that is taking a church group up that way to do some hiking next weekend as well. Any info would certainaly be appriciated.

10-K
03-17-2008, 10:05
The last thing I want to do is "highjack" a thread but I amd going to be hiking that direction next month (NOC to Fontana Dam) and have a question. What is the status of Fontana Dam? I know there was some work going on and it was closed and there were detours and such. I have a friend that is taking a church group up that way to do some hiking next weekend as well. Any info would certainaly be appriciated.

The dam is supposedly closed to road traffic but me and every other hiker I talked to coming from the dam walked over the dam. In fact, there was someone in a pickup (obviously not involved with construction, the dam, etc.) driving over the dam dodging the barrels set up to impede road traffic.

Also - I stayed at the Hike Inn and used Jeff and Nancy for a shuttle too. No problems, no complaints. Everything was as advertised, on time, etc. I'm going to use them as a shuttle when I do the Springer-Fontana section in May.

Think Spring
03-17-2008, 11:57
While we're passing along kudos to those deserving, Ron also has a FINE reputation for "trail angel" contact with hiker's in and around Franklin. As a matter of fact, I'll be back on at Dick's Creek Gap on the 21st or 22nd, and should be staying at his Budget Inn about the 25th.....as well as picking up a "drop box". Lookin' forward to that as well. ENJOY YOUR HIKE, TOO!:sun

gold bond
03-17-2008, 13:03
Thanks 10-K! Is there a web site or a number for the Inn. This far along I might be able to get a res!

10-K
03-17-2008, 13:17
Thanks 10-K! Is there a web site or a number for the Inn. This far along I might be able to get a res!

Here's the web address to The Hike Inn: http://www.thehikeinn.netfirms.com/

gold bond
03-17-2008, 13:35
Thanks!!

GoldenBear
08-05-2022, 13:26
Stayed here last week, and found it very accommodating for hikers. This URL
https://www.visitnc.com/listing/AJUb/the-hike-inn
has correct contact info, but quite limited information on amenities.

Some may call this place a hostel, but it's more of a motel that caters to A.T. hikers. Here you'll find a wonderful place to stay, a friendly host, good advice, and shuttles to almost anywhere in the area. Its best use is to park your car at Fontana Dam Visitor Center, then get your ride to your starting point. Reservations for shuttles are absolutely necessary -- you have to confirm them two days before -- and all services are cash ONLY.

My room had private shower, air conditioner, ceiling fan, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and TV with scores of channels.
Here's some of my photos:
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=63927
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=63929
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=63928