PDA

View Full Version : will 1 pair of boots last the 2175 miles on the AT

dpage
03-16-2008, 11:53
do people get by with just 1 pair of boots for all the 2175???

Grampie
03-16-2008, 12:02
I hiked the whole trail and than some with a pair of Montrail AT hikers. I wore the soles out and had them resoled around the 1/2 way mark. When I finished they were completly worn out.

dessertrat
03-16-2008, 12:17
Very rarely have I heard of it happening. I think you would need both good boots and good luck to make it. Almost everyone uses at least two pairs, or has a pair resoled. (Not as viable an option these days, where most people don't use that style of boot).

Grampie
03-16-2008, 12:23
Very rarely have I heard of it happening. I think you would need both good boots and good luck to make it. Almost everyone uses at least two pairs, or has a pair resoled. (Not as viable an option these days, where most people don't use that style of boot).

I found a place in New Rochelle, NY that can resole boots with a molded sole. They were able to do the job in 3 days. :)

doggiebag
03-16-2008, 12:26
I swapped boots out halfway at Harpers Ferry. Though the asolo all leather boots were intact ... the soles were pretty worn down. With regards to safety ... when the grip is gone specially in wet weather or rocky terrain; I was not chancing injury due to a fall because my soles were worn through. By the time I made it to New Hampshire ... the second pair's soles were gone as well. It's all about the soles. No reason to skimp on the footwear. In addition - I factored in quality insoles (superfeet) to my budget - these have a limited lifespan as well.

emerald
03-16-2008, 12:56
Some have hiked the AT with a single pair of boots. There wasn't much left of them though. I believe Earl Shaffer was one such person.

I wore out a pair of boots long before I reached Pennsylvania probably because I didn't care for them properly, but hiked home on them anyway. When I got home, I travelled to New Hampshire where I purchased a pair of Limmer boots. I hiked the remainder of the AT with those boots, finished Vermont's Long Trail with them and more. They were resoled once and given away to someone who they fit better than me.

Most northbound long-distance hikers would be wise to pit for new rubber or new footwear altogether before rather than after Pennsylvania. It would be better for their feet. I've seen more than a few AT thru-hikers in Pennsylvania trying to get more miles out of worn out footwear and punishing their feet in the process. Didn't strike me as a good idea when only halfway to their intended destination.

Old Hillwalker
03-16-2008, 15:06
I'll wager that a new pair of Custom Limmers would, but you would be moving a lot of unnessary weight down the trail. Not to mention the $650 cost and from three to five year wait for them to be hand built www.limmerboot.com

I have a 28 year old pair of Limmers that I still use in the Whites with another pair on order. I won't be trying my SOBO this year with them other than From Andover Maine to Glencliff, and then from Unionville, PA to who knows.

weary
03-16-2008, 20:59
do people get by with just 1 pair of boots for all the 2175???
Only if they buy sturdy boots.

peakbagger
03-16-2008, 21:28
The mention of custom Limmers on a 2008 forum makes me cringe. The backlog to get cutom limmers is usually in excess of a year. You can buy off the rack "stock" Limmers but make sure they fit well. The boots require a lot of breaking in. Plan on several weeks of constant use. Try to use them before they are broken in for backpacking and expect sore feet. Some folks never get used to them. Unless you are in the class of 2009, find some other boots that fit and buy two pairs.

I used Limmers for years and wore out one set of Vibram soles. I eventually gave them up for backpacking and switched to trail runners. I get about 600 to 800 miles per pair of new balances before the sole wear out.

Economically, you can buy a lot of boots for one pair of custom Limmers (In excess of $500)

emerald
03-17-2008, 16:44
The backlog to get custom Limmers is usually in excess of a year.

That may be because quality never goes out-of-style.

Blissful
03-17-2008, 17:19
I used four pairs of trail runners for the 2nd half of my hike. 2 pairs of boots for the first half. I was very particular about my feet though.

You could probably get away with longer life in boots as well if you replace the insoles frequently.

emerald
03-17-2008, 17:25
Blissful, people here can't get where they intend to go without the cooperation of their feet or something that functions as well in their place.

What I'd like to see is an intelligent discussion of footwear commonly in use today on the AT. What lasts, what fits and why? Can someone link a good thread pertaining to footwear design, fit and durability? If not, maybe we ought to have one!

saimyoji
03-17-2008, 17:45
The mention of custom Limmers on a 2008 forum makes me cringe. The backlog to get cutom limmers is usually in excess of a year. You can buy off the rack "stock" Limmers but make sure they fit well. The boots require a lot of breaking in. Plan on several weeks of constant use. Try to use them before they are broken in for backpacking and expect sore feet. Some folks never get used to them. Unless you are in the class of 2009, find some other boots that fit and buy two pairs.

I used Limmers for years and wore out one set of Vibram soles. I eventually gave them up for backpacking and switched to trail runners. I get about 600 to 800 miles per pair of new balances before the sole wear out.

Economically, you can buy a lot of boots for one pair of custom Limmers (In excess of $500)

Nimblewillnomad has a picture on that site.

http://www.limmerboot.com/#

Click on Journey Journal, then click on the 5th or 6th dot.

theunstrungharp
03-17-2008, 18:48
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/starebrokn/2762101-R1-029-13.jpg
Lifesaver's Lowa boots lasted the whole way!! They are pretty done in this pic....

walkin' wally
03-17-2008, 19:33
You folks who have replaced boots during your thru... Did you buy your next boots the same size or a size larger? I am going to try a thru in 2010 and am wondering.

I have very weak ankles so I think it will be boots for me and not trail shoes.

doggiebag
03-17-2008, 19:45
Same size, same model which equated to no break-in period. Funny thing is my hiking boots are half a size larger than my regular footwear. I'm sold on all leather boots as well.

emerald
03-17-2008, 19:55
Take care of your leather boots and they will take care your feet. Go to the trouble and expense of carrying several pairs of socks and keep your feet clean and happy. Happy feet can go the distance; disgruntled feet won't.

Bare Bear
03-17-2008, 20:35
What ever a hiker chooses should be Trail tested more than a day hike before even thinking bout using them for a thru. The feet will get a half or one size larger, at least I do not know of any that did not have their feet get bigger. It was one of those rainy night subjects at cap many times. I have seen heavy leather full paratrooper boots to bare feet. (Hey Dirt Nap)

NorthCountryWoods
03-18-2008, 08:22
I've got over 2800 mile on a pair of Montrail Moraine ATs. They're heavy, very comfortable but the soles are done.

They stink pretty bad, and the wife keeps trying to get rid of them, but can't part with them. Too bad they don't make em anymore. They pop up on ebay every now and then...just never in size 12.

walkin' wally
03-18-2008, 09:12
Same size, same model which equated to no break-in period. Funny thing is my hiking boots are half a size larger than my regular footwear. I'm sold on all leather boots as well.

Thanks Doggiebag for the info.

I enjoyed your pics on this site.

Yahtzee
03-18-2008, 09:21
My three sets of Chaco sandals lasted me roughly 1600 miles each before the straps gave. The sole is usually gone by that point but I just keep walking on the bare sole. The comfort level at that point is so high, I'd rather hike slower in wet conditions than give up the 1400 miles of breaking in.

hacksaw
03-18-2008, 10:05
FWIW I have a pair of Montrails that I've worn every day for three years. Some on trail some working but mostly just everyday boots.

This doesn't qualify as 100 % trail use but does attest to the overall wearability of the boot.

These boots were fitted by Winton Porter at Mountain Crossing. They are the most comfortable shoe of any kind that I have ever worn.

turtle fast
03-18-2008, 10:28
I got 3 pairs ready and broken in ready for the trail, I don't expect to have to get to my third pair of boots .....plan on replacing them yes, before Pennsylvania. I got a pair of Vasques, and 2 pairs of Cabella's brand hiking boots made by Redwing...ie Vasque...without the Vasque price. 2 weeks to go!

Ender
03-18-2008, 10:55
In 1998 I picked up a pair of Vasque Sundowners in Damascus, VA, and that pair lasted me to Katahdin. If I had had that pair from the beginning it would have lasted me the whole way because they were still in decent shape at Katahdin.

turtle fast
03-18-2008, 11:27
Good to know about the Sundowners...for a midweight boot I have heard nothing but good things about them...probably why they still are around and THE classic hiking boot!