PDA

View Full Version : Hostel Standards

Brushy Sage
01-21-2004, 09:37
Does anyone know if there is an organization of hostel owners anywhere along the AT -- any way that some kind of minimum standards might be developed by the owners themselves? The various guidebooks perform a kind of screening function by listing or not listing specific hostels, but that depends on feedback from hikers and can take one or two years to get published. Seems to me that hikers currently have to take pot luck; some experiences are good and others less so. WhiteBlaze is performing a very useful service in airing all of our experiences. But the only hostel owner I have seen posting here is Miss Janet (bless you).

Rain Man
01-21-2004, 10:19
Does anyone know if there is an organization of hostel owners anywhere along the AT -- any way that some kind of minimum standards might be developed by the owners themselves? ... Seems to me that hikers currently have to take pot luck;

Minimum standards for hostels? Isn't that an oxymoron? I mean, I thought a hostel was something below the radar screen. Exactly pot luck. Part of the experience of going to a hostel instead of a Holiday Inn.

If there were an industry group that set standards for hostels, what would we call those places that didn't bother to meet the industry group's standards? Would there be a new term for them?

Maybe I'm confused. As you can tell, I can't get my mind aroung this one.

Not too unusual. LOL

Rain Man

Hammock Hanger
01-21-2004, 10:28
Does anyone know if there is an organization of hostel owners anywhere along the AT -- any way that some kind of minimum standards might be developed by the owners themselves? The various guidebooks perform a kind of screening function by listing or not listing specific hostels, but that depends on feedback from hikers and can take one or two years to get published. Seems to me that hikers currently have to take pot luck; some experiences are good and others less so. WhiteBlaze is performing a very useful service in airing all of our experiences. But the only hostel owner I have seen posting here is Miss Janet (bless you).
anyplace that offers me shower and a place to crash is fine. It's all part of the fun. Besides organization brings high fees.

Sue/Hammock Hanger

Blue Jay
01-21-2004, 10:35
Minimum standards for hostels? If there were an industry group that set standards for hostels, what would we call those places that didn't bother to meet the industry group's standards? Would there be a new term for them?

The term is Uncle Johnny's. I agree completely, it is an oxymorom. Also, it is not required. Do hikers still go to places below minimum standards, clearly yes. Hell, on a rainy night I once paid two dollars to sleep in an abandoned leaky trailor.

Brushy Sage
01-21-2004, 11:18
I agree that the term "standards" and the concept of industry organizations don't fit with the hostel concept. Maybe it's better communication between the hostel owners that I'm envisioning. I remembert asking one owner if she had any material on other hostels, and she remarked, somewhat indignantly, that she didn't do any marketing for others. In other areas there seemed to be some networking taking place among the owners. And while I received a "welcome home" here and there, I often had the sense that I was much more at home in a shelter than in a hostel. Anyhow, I knew this would be a controversial topic, and I'm grateful for the comments.

weary
01-21-2004, 11:34

The American Youth Hostels and similar associations of hostel owners have standards. There are at least two on the Appalachian trail, or were. One is the Iron Masters Mansion at Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Pennsylvania. Accredited hostels are common throughout the world. As I understand it, most trail hostels are not members mostly because of high insurance costs, but also because many cannot meet the standards.

Weary

Brushy Sage
01-21-2004, 17:43
The American Youth Hostels and similar associations of hostel owners have standards. There are at least two on the Appalachian trail, or were. One is the Iron Masters Mansion at Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Pennsylvania. Accredited hostels are common throughout the world. As I understand it, most trail hostels are not members mostly because of high insurance costs, but also because many cannot meet the standards.

Weary

Thank you for this reminder. I had forgotten about the American Youth Hostels. The other one that I am aware of is just north of Harpers Ferry, in Maryland. It seems to be a bit more regulated than the privately owned ones. According to the 2003 Thru-Hikers' Companion, it has a $15.00 rate for AYH and ATC members, is closed from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., and closed Nov 15 to Mar 15, and does not allow alcohol or dogs.

Streamweaver
01-21-2004, 17:58
Any port in a storm! It seems to me that with raised standards comes raised prices,and thats not going to sit well with hikers trying to save a buck or two here and there. Streamweaver

Miss Janet
01-21-2004, 23:38
I think that it is really part of the "experience" that a hiker will find a lot of variety amony the different hostels.

I have thought that it would be interesting to get all of the hostel type accomodations along the AT to form some kind of a network to help with questions, planning, moral support, etc. Maybe with a website, or room on a website... with a group meeting at the ALDHA Gathering to discuss issues. Maybe we could get discounts buying toilet paper in bulk!

If anyone in a service related hiker venture is interested or has ideas... send me a email.

Brushy Sage
01-22-2004, 09:03
Great to hear from you, Janet, and a great idea!